2016-2017 Georgetown University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm still waiting for another 20 or so schools, so I feel like this wasn't too long of a wait.

How long have you been waiting for George's response??

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Actually never mind - got pre-II rejection today an hour later after I posted here. lol

Members don't see this ad :)
II just now. Complete in mid August. Does anyone who's interviewed know if you can change your interview date online once you select it? Not sure what days I work next semester just yet.

II here as well. Complete mid-September.

So excited!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
II just now. Complete in mid August. Does anyone who's interviewed know if you can change your interview date online once you select it? Not sure what days I work next semester just yet.

You can change it one time online. After you do that one time change, you aren't able to again.

However, I changed it and selected an incorrect date and called their office and they let me change it again. So they are definitely willing to work with you.

Reactions: 1 user
Rejected Pre-II via email, LM 68 / complete late sept - good luck everyone!

II for mid-Jan this morning! complete around the beginning of October

Reactions: 3 users
how swag is that triple-pronged steth tho

I actually like it. Cardiology and auscultation is big here because we had a world-renowned cardiologist work here who did a lot of great things. His footprint is all over the campus. Needless to say, you'll learn your heart stuff pretty well here.

So Gtown is expensive but absolutely in love with the program. Any idea on how easy it is to get financial assistance/ scholarships?

Financial assistance is very easy to obtain, aside from the paperwork. I don't think many medical schools, in general, have many scholarships, though.

What is the general feel of the student community at Georgetown? Do students tend to be more collaborative, or is the class pretty competitive?

Collaborative indeed. It's a great environment for learning.

Now that fall semester is coming to a close, do we need to send in updated transcripts/grades to include our newest grades this semester?

Note: I have already interviewed (about 2 weeks ago) but I have not received any decision yet.

For those that have heard back post-interview around how long did it take? Just curious

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody from around the 10/17 interview date heard back yet?

How long post-interviews do decisions typically come out? My paper notes have them saying 6-8 weeks, but then my computer generic notes says 8-10 weeks. I don't really remember which actually came from the admissions office.

How long post-interviews do decisions typically come out? My paper notes have them saying 6-8 weeks, but then my computer generic notes says 8-10 weeks. I don't really remember which actually came from the admissions office.
Between 6-10 weeks

8-10 weeks

Interviewed 10/26
Waitlisted 12/19 (8 week turnaround)

Just got the W.
Interviewed 10/17.
Anybody know the numbers on how many get waitlisted?

Just got the W.
Interviewed 10/17.
Anybody know the numbers on how many get waitlisted?

If it's like last year then ~350/1000 get accepted outright. Probably about 200 rejected post-II and the rest waitlisted. The only number of that list that's confirmed by the admissions committee is the ~350, though.

Waitlisted today, interviewed on Nov 3. How early is too early for the LOI? Could I send one tomorrow?

Hi all, I was just wondering if they stratify the waitlist. Did everyone on the waitlist get this message or did some people get a notification of a competitive applicant pool?

"The Committee on Admissions has recently evaluated your application, and is impressed with your candidacy. Although we are unable to offer you an acceptance at this time, we are pleased to offer you a place on the wait list for further consideration."

Thanks!

Hi all, I was just wondering if they stratify the waitlist. Did everyone on the waitlist get this message or did some people get a notification of a competitive applicant pool?

Yup I got the same thing.

"The Committee on Admissions has recently evaluated your application, and is impressed with your candidacy. Although we are unable to offer you an acceptance at this time, we are pleased to offer you a place on the wait list for further consideration."

Thanks!

Hey guys!!

So I interviewed here a couple weeks ago & now I'm just waiting the 8-10 weeks to hear back from them. I already sent in my thank-you note the day after interviewing but I'm thinking of sending another letter of interest/thank you just to stress how much I enjoyed the interview day and what I love about GU specifically.

I thought my interview went really well but it was honestly pretty conversational and my interviewer interrupted me several times when I was giving my answers so I couldn't really give a complete answer.. Don't get me wrong, I still think it was a great interview and it became more of a conversation than a Q&A session, which I liked. But I'm worried I didn't get the chance to clearly express what I specifically liked about the school and how much I felt a good fit. So I'm hoping this LOI/update will help clarify that.

I know GU likes to hear from waitlisted applicants but because the committee hasn't met about my application yet, I wanted to know what the best course of action for me right now is.

Any advice would be great, thanks!! :)

Hey guys!!

So I interviewed here a couple weeks ago & now I'm just waiting the 8-10 weeks to hear back from them. I already sent in my thank-you note the day after interviewing but I'm thinking of sending another letter of interest/thank you just to stress how much I enjoyed the interview day and what I love about GU specifically.

I thought my interview went really well but it was honestly pretty conversational and my interviewer interrupted me several times when I was giving my answers so I couldn't really give a complete answer.. Don't get me wrong, I still think it was a great interview and it became more of a conversation than a Q&A session, which I liked. But I'm worried I didn't get the chance to clearly express what I specifically liked about the school and how much I felt a good fit. So I'm hoping this LOI/update will help clarify that.

I know GU likes to hear from waitlisted applicants but because the committee hasn't met about my application yet, I wanted to know what the best course of action for me right now is.

You should wait to see if you're WL'ed. If you get accept/rejected, then you won't have to do it anyways.
I'd definitely draft the letter while it's on your mind, or if you have an update, you can kill two birds with one stone.

You should wait to see if you're WL'ed. If you get accept/rejected, then you won't have to do it anyways.
I'd definitely draft the letter while it's on your mind, or if you have an update, you can kill two birds with one stone.
Hey guys!!

I am also applying this cycle, so I have no real insider information on this, but I wanted to share my thoughts and also ask others.

From what I have read and heard, the "thing to do" is to wait until you get waitlisted to send a letter of intent. I guess the idea being that A. You have had time to think about which school is best for you. B. It is unlikely that a letter of intent will sway them from rejecting you over to accepting you.

While I can understand both of those reasons to wait (someone correct me if they aren't the reasons plwase), I actually see it kind of differently. If you have multiple acceptances already, and you have taken sufficient time since your interviews to think about which school is the best fit, and you have real reasons why you think so, I don't see why it isn't actually STRONGER to send one before getting waitlisted (other than maybe doing it when you didn't have to--if you were going to get accepted anyway). My reason is that if you are sending it before you have a decision from them, they may be less likely to think you are only sending it in because you are desperate and need an acceptance at the end of the cycle. This is all assuming you have taken sufficient time to really think about what makes this school the best fit.

I'm not speaking specifically about GU with this by the way, just general thoughts.

I am also applying this cycle, so I have no real insider information on this, but I wanted to share my thoughts and also ask others.

From what I have read and heard, the "thing to do" is to wait until you get waitlisted to send a letter of intent. I guess the idea being that A. You have had time to think about which school is best for you. B. It is unlikely that a letter of intent will sway them from rejecting you over to accepting you.

While I can understand both of those reasons to wait (someone correct me if they aren't the reasons plwase), I actually see it kind of differently. If you have multiple acceptances already, and you have taken sufficient time since your interviews to think about which school is the best fit, and you have real reasons why you think so, I don't see why it isn't actually STRONGER to send one before getting waitlisted (other than maybe doing it when you didn't have to--if you were going to get accepted anyway). My reason is that if you are sending it before you have a decision from them, they may be less likely to think you are only sending it in because you are desperate and need an acceptance at the end of the cycle. This is all assuming you have taken sufficient time to really think about what makes this school the best fit.

I'm not speaking specifically about GU with this by the way, just general thoughts.

Thanks for the reply/thoughts! I meant letter of interest*** I definitely think a letter of intent would be a little excessive at this point because of the reasons you mentioned (it being too soon etc...). I just wanted a chance to clearly communicate my interest before they made a final decision. I just know GU is really into hearing why applicants like their school/why applicants feel like they would be a good fit and encourages letters of interest from those who are waitlisted.

Thanks for the reply/thoughts! I meant letter of interest*** I definitely think a letter of intent would be a little excessive at this point because of the reasons you mentioned (it being too soon etc...). I just wanted a chance to clearly communicate my interest before they made a final decision. I just know GU is really into hearing why applicants like their school/why applicants feel like they would be a good fit and encourages letters of interest from those who are waitlisted.
Oh okay my bad. I say go for it if you've got something real and genuine to say about the school and you being a good fit which it sounds like you do.

Does anyone know what are the remaining interview dates? I want to change mine, but I'm a bit worried about hitting the reschedule, because it says it will cancel my date before I can look at the other available ones.

Accepted just now via phone call (voicemail) !!! So happy!

Interviewed 11/7

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 10 users
Sorry if this has been asked before, but will Georgetown internally rank students during pre-clinical years (even though they're moving to P/F)? Thanks!

Sorry if this has been asked before, but will Georgetown internally rank students during pre-clinical years (even though they're moving to P/F)? Thanks!

I'm pretty sure all schools must internally rank their students for residency programs. But, from what I've heard from adcoms on my interview days, residency directors don't really care too much about your pre-clinical grades and normally focus on your performance on step 1, in 3rd & 4th year rotations, and your shelf exam scores!

Does anyone here know or can find out when the Second Look day is . Thanks !