2016-2017 Louisiana State University - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just withdrew my application here. Hope it goes to one of you!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I didnt see someone answer this plainly, so I'll go ahead, but forgive me if I'm repeating someone else. All spots are required to be offered by March 15th per AAMC. Students are allowed to hold multiple spots at different schools until May 1st. Interviews go until mid April. All of the people interviewed at the end of February (after the regular February meeting), through March, and into April either get NFA'ed or rejected. Before the May 1st date, a "rank list" is made of every one of the NFA'ed people, regardless of when they interviewed. After May 1st, when students who are going elsewhere give up their spots, the spots are then filled in numerical order of the "rank list". Anyone not offered from the "rank list" then becomes the "waiting list".

- There may be any number of spots opening up after May 1st (from 5 to 50 is what Eubanks said)
- They do not tell you your ranking on the list
- Some of the people on the rank list accept spots elsewhere and that spot is then offered to the next person on the rank list
- The waiting list is for when people accept spots, but are on the waiting list elsewhere and get in elsewhere after the May 1st deadline. Their spot is then offered to the next person.

The next meeting is March 24th. They will discuss all of the people that have interviewed since the last time the committee met. There will be another such meeting in April. In May, there will be the advocacy meeting where ALL NFA people will be discussed. So expect to either get rejected or NFA'ed, then if by mid May you havn't heard anything, then you're on the waitlist. Eubanks said that about 425 people interview and about 300 offers go out to fill the 200 spots.

....Stay thirsty my friends
So were 300 seats released by March 15th? Kinda sucks we are either gonna get NFAd or rejected....

Members don't see this ad :)
200 but yes.
So if he said 300 seats are offered and only 200 seats have been released bY march 15 isnt there still 100 seats remaining...I'm sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here...

So if he said 300 seats are offered and only 200 seats have been released bY march 15 isnt there still 100 seats remaining...I'm sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here...

I have no clue where that 300 figure came from. At any point in time, they can only have a maximum of 200 offers out. That I'm certain of. They are currently maxed out at 200. The number of seats typically given up ranges from 5-50 according to Eubanks. So by the end of the whole thing, they will likely have handed out 250 or less. For 300 to be handed out in total, half the initial acceptees would have to drop their seats which has never come close to happening. They only interview 400-something people.

Reactions: 1 users
As a battle-scarred veteran of these apps (3rd time applying to LSU), the biggest advice I want to give is: Don't idle and stand in the middle of the tracks waiting for the decision to hit you like a train, regardless of whether it's an acceptance, rejection, or NFA. Instead ignore whatever judgment, look further into the horizon, and continue self-developing. You'll feel less anxiety doing so because you'll find a niche you can duck your head in, and at the same time improve yourself even more the next time (or hopefully this coming fall in med school).

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
So I just called and apparently people were accepted last friday who interviewed before the march 15 deadline....so who knows now haha

So I just called and apparently people were accepted last friday who interviewed before the march 15 deadline....so who knows now haha

I think that they accept 300 people people for a class of 200 because they expect about 100 of those people to go to other medical schools and withdraw their acceptances. The 200 seats that they have offered so far will look "nothing like our final roster" is what they told me on interview day in March.

Reactions: 1 user
I think that they accept 300 people people for a class of 200 because they expect about 100 of those people to go to other medical schools and withdraw their acceptances. The 200 seats that they have offered so far will look "nothing like our final roster" is what they told me on interview day in March.
LSU has hands down been one of the more complicated to understand med schools haha

She actually told you that they accepted people who interviewed before march 15?
They are required per AAMC to have the class filled by March 15 and they told multiple interview groups throughout March(including ones before the 15th) that the class had been filled. If they accepted people last Friday, that means they were filling dropped seats. But it doesn't make sense to only fill those seats with people who interviewed before march 15 once the deadline has been met..

Yes I asked her that specific question and she told me people were accepted. Maybe its due to the 300 seat offer thing but they have to fill 200 seats by march 15th. At this point i gave up and just accepting whatever happens

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I asked her that specific question and she told me people were accepted. Maybe its due to the 300 seat offer thing but they have to fill 200 seats by march 15th. At this point i gave up and just accepting whatever happens

Exactly! Haha it's whatever at this point! I'm just waiting for that letter hopefully this week!

But, just to add to the confusion lol, the whole 300 thing is probably in total and rolling. At any given time they can't have out more than 200 (their max number of seats) just in case all 200 decide to come. But, as people reject the offer they send out another acceptance. Which makes sense.

Regardless, I think you and I are on the same page... #FingersCrossed & Goodluck!

Exactly! Haha it's whatever at this point! I'm just waiting for that letter hopefully this week!

But, just to add to the confusion lol, the whole 300 thing is probably in total and rolling. At any given time they can't have out more than 200 (their max number of seats) just in case all 200 decide to come. But, as people reject the offer they send out another acceptance. Which makes sense.

Regardless, I think you and I are on the same page... #FingersCrossed & Goodluck!

Do you think the letters are going out this week?

I know for my group (interviewed 2/15), he said our decision would be made on 3/21, and then mailed shortly after. So I'm assuming sometime this week I should get it.. I'll post when I do!

Yup! I interviewed a week ago today and Eubanks said letters regarding the meeting on Friday would be mailed out around the middle of this week. Knowing this school, I'm expecting to see a letter at the end of this week or beginning of next.

Just withdrew my acceptance here. Anyone know how to go about getting the $100 deposit back lol

Just withdrew my acceptance here. Anyone know how to go about getting the $100 deposit back lol
Not only you da real MVP I'm pretty sure you just call the admissions office

Alriiiight! Congrats! Where did you decide to go?
And no clue. I haven't been fortunate enough to have that problem. I'm sure Mrs Paulette at admissions can help you with that one though.

Alriiiight! Congrats! Where did you decide to go?
And no clue. I haven't been fortunate enough to have that problem. I'm sure Mrs Paulette at admissions can help you with that one though.

Thanks! And I actually haven't decided yet but have narrowed it down from 4 to 2 options!

I have no clue where that 300 figure came from

I got the feeling a few extra offers go out to fill the 200 by March 15. Then, in May, as people are being offered on the rank list, some of them are going elsewhere and it goes to the next person. So, even after the March 15th deadline, the rank list is actually bigger than the actual number of people that will actually accept a spot there, e.g. people lower on the rank list with get a shot.

I
I got the feeling a few extra offers go out to fill the 200 by March 15. Then, in May, as people are being offered on the rank list, some of them are going elsewhere and it goes to the next person. So, even after the March 15th deadline, the rank list is actually bigger than the actual number of people that will actually accept a spot there, e.g. people lower on the rank list with get a shot.
I definitely feel that. I'm sure the letters will be coming soon. Here's hoping for the best

Feeling so anxious! Trying to stay busy to keep my mind off of it but also considering leaving work and sitting outside of my mailbox with a beer. I promise I made a valiant effort at @TulaneUnderdog 's suggestions! I live pretty close to LSU so if the letters were in fact mailed on Monday, it should be in by today or tomorrow.

I live pretty close to LSU. Mail already came today. No letter. Womp

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Good luck yall. I've got a buddy waiting on a decision right now too. For what it's worth, my letter came on a Thursday and I live close to LSU as well

Last edited:
Nothing from here either guys and I also live somewhat close to the medical school...I'm sure we'll here soon though! I just hope I don't get NFA'd....I'd hate to have to wait even longer

Nothing from here either guys and I also live somewhat close to the medical school...I'm sure we'll here soon though! I just hope I don't get NFA'd....I'd hate to have to wait even longer

I don't know what I would do with myself if an acceptance letter showed up this week. It would be a fun weekend..

In other news, a classmate of mine decided today to drop his Nola seat for Shreveport. Woohoo!

IMG_6355.GIF

The letters are sent from Baton Rouge so they'll take a day or two longer to get to New Orleans. Good luck!

The letters are sent from Baton Rouge so they'll take a day or two longer to get to New Orleans. Good luck!
Why would they be sent from Baton Rouge? Isn't the medical school in NO?

Why would they be sent from Baton Rouge? Isn't the medical school in NO?
" Ours not to reason why....." Honestly, don't know the reason for it. But my acceptance was postmarked BR. And the same has been said in the past cycles as well.

I just sincerely hope that out of all of us still on this thread that interviewed before march 15 but find out after march 15, as least one of us get an acceptance...

I got a package today but no mail...i dont think its today guys

They said they wouldnt send out letters until mid week this week. Not anticipating anything until at least tomorrow.

They said they wouldnt send out letters until mid week this week. Not anticipating anything until at least tomorrow.
I'm assuming they said that in your interview?

Last edited:
Agreed. Eubanks told us as much when we interviewed. The class is full as of now and any openings will be from those who decide to go elsewhere. My assumption is the vast majority of those wont give up their NOLA seat until they are required to per AAMC rules at the end of next month.

I felt the interview went quite well. It's just a numbers game at this point. Lots of highly competitive applicants. Good luck to all!

I just called and they told me the letters were mailed yesterday!

(Unforuately for me, it was my old address so mine may take a little longer now! haha)

I just called and they told me the letters were mailed yesterday!

(Unforuately for me, it was my old address so mine may take a little longer now! haha)
I wish they could just tell you when you called....it seems so roundabout getting paper mail

NFA'd, letter dated March 28, single letter envelope. I think that takes care of all the questions, lol. Also, I walked up to my mail lady and asked for my mail today. How's that for neurotic??

Last edited:
Actually still haven't received my letter yet my Roomate was a dick and said I got NFA lol

Last edited:
Well guys and girls, we begin the final and longest wait of them all. May the dropped seats be ever in your favor.