-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 Loyola University Chicago (Stritch) Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I received notification from the HELP desk that the school forgot to include our usernames in our emails so feel free to call them on the HELP line on the link for yours (in email). They were super helpful and it was real quick =)I received my LOCUS email today as well. I had to call to get my username. Quite a few people with the same intials
I didn't receive any scholarship, not even need-based. is that pretty common?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+1I didn't receive any scholarship, not even need-based. is that pretty common?
I didn't receive any scholarship, not even need-based. is that pretty common?
I got something but it is not even close to covering 10% of the cost of tuition. Very disappointed but life moves on. On the flip side, I hope one of you on the waitlist gets my spot!! I will be withdrawing shortly.
I'm not too sure about this but I remember the HELP desk lady mentioned something about not being able to set up our email yet... but I could be totally wrong.Also how do we get our email. I got all the info to set up my LOCUS account but I got no email
I think merit based scholarships are going to be continually given out until classes start and there is no application for them. At least that's what I understood from what financial aid said on interview day.is anyone aware of any other Stritch-specific scholarships that we can still apply to?
What is the consensus on bringing SO/family to second look?
I am bringing my SO. It was part of the RSVP. If they didn't want us to they probably wouldn't have offered it, right?
For what its worth I'm bringing my parents. I heard from some M2s that its worthwhile and they have sessions directed towards family on what to expect from having a family member in medical school. (And lots of people apparently bring their families/SO so it wont be odd)What is the consensus on bringing SO/family to second look?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They usually split family and students up during information sessions. Students learn about school life and finances etc, while family receive a slightly different focus, mainly on what to expect and such. It's common to bring family at Loyola, despite the contrary at many other schools, mainly because Loyola is very community-focused, while other schools may tend to be independent/"cold", if I use the words that some of my counterparts at these schools use to describe the environment.
The only caveat is that it may limit social interactions with others. Simply something to be aware of. Also: no matter where you end up attending, be aware that many people you encounter on second look may not necessarily choose to matriculate, for various reasons (ie don't make a decision based on a single good/bad interaction with somebody that you will likely ignore for all 4 years if they do actually end up attending).
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
The only caveat is that it may limit social interactions with others. Simply something to be aware of. Also: no matter where you end up attending, be aware that many people you encounter on second look may not necessarily choose to matriculate, for various reasons (ie don't make a decision based on a single good/bad interaction with somebody that you will likely ignore for all 4 years if they do actually end up attending).
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
If y'all withdrew your seat, did you email them to let them know? Or are you just not paying the deposit? Just want to make sure I do what I need to do someone else gets my spot!
There is no deposit, you should email themIf y'all withdrew your seat, did you email them to let them know? Or are you just not paying the deposit? Just want to make sure I do what I need to do someone else gets my spot!
thanks!There is no deposit, you should email them
Thank you to all of you that joined us at Second Look. It was a pleasure to meet many of the prospective students. There are many current students following this thread so please reach out if you have any specific questions. We are always willing to help.
Does anyone know if the committee met yesterday?
Did anyone get a call today?
I DID
MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE AFTER 5 WAITLISTS
I LITERALLY PEACED OUT OF MY WORK MEETING SCREAMING TO PICK UP THE CALL
Edit: interviewed 02/09
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Congrats!! That is so exciting!I DID
MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE AFTER 5 WAITLISTS
I LITERALLY PEACED OUT OF MY WORK MEETING SCREAMING TO PICK UP THE CALL
Edit: interviewed 02/09
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Congrats!! Now go celebrate!I DID
MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE AFTER 5 WAITLISTS
I LITERALLY PEACED OUT OF MY WORK MEETING SCREAMING TO PICK UP THE CALL
Edit: interviewed 02/09
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I received the call yesterday. Interviewed in January. Excited to start at Stritch this fall!
Last edited:
Got the acceptance call yesterday. Interviewed on their last interview date; 2/28 I believe.
I received the call yesterday. Interviewed in January. Excited to start at Stritch this fall!
what was your status before acceptance? Were you continued consideration by any chance??
Any "continued consideration" student got accepted yet for the upcming fall class?
I am still continued consideration so i'm wondering.
I would really like to know this as well. Also, does anyone know if Loyola does a ranked wait list? It'd be nice to know if I should make moves on one of the schools I'm accepted at in terms of housing and such, or if it's worth waiting for Loyola.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been on continued still December it hasn't changed since thenAny "continued consideration" student got accepted yet for the upcming fall class?
I am still continued consideration so i'm wondering.
i heard they don't rank people and it's a pool.I would really like to know this as well. Also, does anyone know if Loyola does a ranked wait list? It'd be nice to know if I should make moves on one of the schools I'm accepted at in terms of housing and such, or if it's worth waiting for Loyola.
Last edited:
I heard they do a
i heard they don't rank people and it's a pool.
This is confusing to me. Don't they formulate a wait list sometime in May from all the continued interest people since that's past the AAMC deadline of April 30th? I guess if they don't, then they hold a committee meeting every time a bunch of seats open up and just accept those? That would really take a long time, no?
Last edited:
This is confusing to me. Don't they formulate a wait list sometime in May from all the continued interest people since that's past the AAMC deadline of April 30th? I guess if they don't, then they hold a committee meeting every time a bunch of seats open up and just accept those? That would really take a long time, no?
I wonder the same thing. So how does financial aid award/scholarships/loans work out? And housing too...
I wonder the same thing. So how does financial aid award/scholarships/loans work out? And housing too...
If you get accepted, the admissions office will make sure you are not left in the dark. Best of luck.
Any idea when students typically come off of the continued consideration list and how many come off of the waitlist once it is actually established?If you get accepted, the admissions office will make sure you are not left in the dark. Best of luck.
Any idea when students typically come off of the continued consideration list and how many come off of the waitlist once it is actually established?
Your question can best be answered by reviewing the AAMC traffic rules: https://www.aamc.org/download/364264/data/2014trafficrules.pdf. This document outlines procedures and policies that the medical schools must adhere to with key dates mentioned. Generally there is waitlist movement, but it is hard to determine how much at this point in time.
any idea of what is the max amount of need-based aid given?!!! (and also merit-based aid?)
Thanks for this link, its very interesting! Do you know how many students are typically taken off of the waitlist each year?Your question can best be answered by reviewing the AAMC traffic rules: https://www.aamc.org/download/364264/data/2014trafficrules.pdf. This document outlines procedures and policies that the medical schools must adhere to with key dates mentioned. Generally there is waitlist movement, but it is hard to determine how much at this point in time.
Thanks for this link, its very interesting! Do you know how many students are typically taken off of the waitlist each year?
As I mentioned above, it is hard to determine because it is multi-factorial.
Withdrew today, good luck to those on waitlist!
I have been on the "continued consideration" list since November. Do you think it's a good idea to give them a call about my status. I have an acceptance from another school, but I would love to go to Loyola instead. And what would happen if I don't receive any notifications after April 30th?
I have been on the "continued consideration" list since November. Do you think it's a good idea to give them a call about my status. I have an acceptance from another school, but I would love to go to Loyola instead. And what would happen if I don't receive any notifications after April 30th?
I say take your acceptance and run with it. There's a lot of people on the continued consideration list - like my best friend. I personally would rather have the spots at my school go to someone without other acceptances.
I say take your acceptance and run with it. There's a lot of people on the continued consideration list - like my best friend. I personally would rather have the spots at my school go to someone without other acceptances.
Do you even go to Stritch? Your post history seems to suggest you do not. As a current student, I can tell you that our school will not even consider if you have an acceptance or not when determining who to pull from the continued consideration list. It's great that your best friend is on this list and you have a bias as to why you want them removed as they do not have another acceptance, but please do not deter other candidates from my school if you do not even attend.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you even go to Stritch? Your post history seems to suggest you do not. As a current student, I can tell you that our school will not even consider if you have an acceptance or not when determining who to pull from the continued consideration list. It's great that your best friend is on this list and you have a bias as to why you want them removed as they do not have another acceptance, but please do not deter other candidates from my school if you do not even attend.
Thank you for this clarification. Do you know when Stritch will notify continued consideration applicants about an acceptance or rejection? Is it a rolling basis because I think a lot of applicants have been on this list for quite a while.
Thank you for this clarification. Do you know when Stritch will notify continued consideration applicants about an acceptance or rejection? Is it a rolling basis because I think a lot of applicants have been on this list for quite a while.
I do not believe that it is a rolling basis but do not take that as a 100% truth. If I was a betting individual (which I am not), I would say it is unlikely that there will be any movement between now and April 30 as there have been 350 acceptances issued as of now and the class is full. As people make decisions to go elsewhere and spots open up, that is when they will look to the continued consideration list in no preference to interview date to decide to pull from this list.
Makes sense. So if there were to be waitlist movement then it would happen maybe after the first week in may? After the committee meeting? Do you know how many students came off of the post April 30th continued consideration list last year?I do not believe that it is a rolling basis but do not take that as a 100% truth. If I was a betting individual (which I am not), I would say it is unlikely that there will be any movement between now and April 30 as there have been 350 acceptances issued as of now and the class is full. As people make decisions to go elsewhere and spots open up, that is when they will look to the continued consideration list in no preference to interview date to decide to pull from this list.
Makes sense. So if there were to be waitlist movement then it would happen maybe after the first week in may? After the committee meeting? Do you know how many students came off of the post April 30th continued consideration list last year?
1. That assumption falls in line with my thinking
2. Of course after a committee meeting
3. I know that there was movement last year but don't recall that exact number