2016-2017 Pennsylvania State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So they selectively send out the tertiary applications then? Not all accepted applicants who indicated interest get one?

I didn't know they selectively screen interested applicants. I was under the impression that everyone interested would get an application but no news from the Ortho part yet. I did get an EM-APPS but I don't think I will turn that in.

I am assuming so only because I received an application/ II for FM and EM and not neurosurgery even though I indicated an interest in all three. But, I know of someone who already received an interview invite for neurosurgery.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Withdrew my application here after being put on hold in October; hope one of you gets my spot!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I looked through all the forms, but cannot find how to pay the admission deposit. Probably half-blind. Does anyone know where it states the info?

Members don't see this ad :)
If they are interested in you, they will reach out with a tertiary application. You will then be invited for an interview after submitting it.

I received applications for both too. Are you planning on submitting applications for/ interviewing for either of the programs?
No, I am deciding to do Navy HPSP so won't be able to do an accelerated program. Also not 100% sure if I want to do FM or EM.

I looked through all the forms, but cannot find how to pay the admission deposit. Probably half-blind. Does anyone know where it states the info?
I couldn't find it in my welcome packet either, but you send your deposit to the admissions office (address on letter). Should get a confirmation email of receipt soon after.

Reactions: 1 users

It's on your acknowledgment of acceptance form. $100 by April 30th. The acceptance form is due two weeks from receipt.

II just now. Only date available was March 27th. Oh and I was put on hold Oct 5th

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I'm not part of the Hershey adcom, but I'm fairly familiar with their processes. I believe that the people looking at your file pre-II are virtually all members of the admissions department, whereas post-II those people break up into smaller admissions groups (there are six I think) with your interviewers to go over your file and interviews. Then, after you're accepted to PSUCOM, if you're considered for the UP program we have a totally different group of people making those decisions up here.
From what you said, so all interviewers are also the part of adcom for post-inteview, correct?

As someone who was put on hold pre-II but recently got an II, do you think I'll just be interviewing for a wait list spot?
I think that would only be true if they accepted everyone that interviewed early on. As I know that is definitely not true because I interviewed at one of the earlier interview dates (late sept) and was put on hold. I think you have a good shot at getting an acceptance. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
From what you said, so all interviewers are also the part of adcom for post-inteview, correct?
It is my understanding that when your admissions group meets post-interview to discuss your admissions decision, your two interviewers will be part of that discussion, yes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going up north to visit family this month. Do you guys know if Hershey is receptive to ITA emails? Is it okay to ask if they're going to interview me or not at this point? I've been on hold since January

I know they accept LOIs after April 30th. Do they also accept application update letters after April 30th? Or not at all?

I know they accept LOIs after April 30th. Do they also accept application update letters after April 30th? Or not at all?
Yes, they do, if your application's still active at that time.

If penn state is ranked in both research and primary care, where do you think it would be?

If penn state is ranked in both research and primary care, where do you think it would be?

11 cause they're not a top 10 school. Outside of a brand name school, how YOU do is much more important. I personally like that they don't participate in US looze rankings. Make up a number to make yourself feel better about your final decision and move on.

Reactions: 4 users
Withdrew my acceptance yesterday due to be accepted into my top choice! Goodluck to all applying and still interviewing.

does anybody know if we have to take any action ourselves to complete the Certiphi background check? Or do we just wait and the school takes care of it themselves? The "acceptance packet" has instructions for everything (e.g. immunization, housing, $100 deposit, transcripts), but they didn't say anything about certiphi. Just want to make sure I check all the boxes so I can matriculate on time.

does anybody know if we have to take any action ourselves to complete the Certiphi background check? Or do we just wait and the school takes care of it themselves? The "acceptance packet" has instructions for everything (e.g. immunization, housing, $100 deposit, transcripts), but they didn't say anything about certiphi. Just want to make sure I check all the boxes so I can matriculate on time.
I received an email from Certiphi about two months after acceptance, and they tell you instructions on how to submit/disclose your background check. Wait, and it will come in time.

Got the EM accelerated program app this morning. Have we figured out yet if it's sent to everyone who expressed interest on the secondary?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

13 weeks and counting! Your move, Penn State. Just been waitin on ya, trying to pretend I'm a calm person and whatnot.

Post-II hold, interviewed early January. The hold email says something about 'if your application remains active after the April 30th reporting deadline, you will continue to be considered'. I hold an acceptance at another program but I'd prefer to attend Penn State. Will my acceptance at the other program make me ineligible to remain on the hold list after April 30?

Post-II hold, interviewed early January. The hold email says something about 'if your application remains active after the April 30th reporting deadline, you will continue to be considered'. I hold an acceptance at another program but I'd prefer to attend Penn State. Will my acceptance at the other program make me ineligible to remain on the hold list after April 30?

Please correct me if I'm wrong other but you can remain on 1 acceptance but can hold as many waitlists after April 30 per AAMC traffic rules

Being a PA resident, I sometimes just wanna bash my head against my keyboard because Pitt and PSU are private med schools...

Reactions: 4 users
Saw this on the financial aid page: "Merit based scholarships are awarded based upon a number of criteria and students are notified to apply for these scholarships during the spring semester."

Did anyone hear anything about applying for the merit-based scholarships?

Saw this on the financial aid page: "Merit based scholarships are awarded based upon a number of criteria and students are notified to apply for these scholarships during the spring semester."

Did anyone hear anything about applying for the merit-based scholarships?

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think these are for incoming students.

So one of my really good friends got an interview invite and I'm just wondering if these invitations are for wait list spots only. Are there any current PSU Hershey students here who either interviewed in March or know a classmate who interviewed this late in the cycle??

I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on having a higher chance of being taken off the waitlist being an in-state student vs an OOS student?

Has anyone called for an update post-interview? I know it's futile, but just wanted to see if anyone has had any sort of success

So one of my really good friends got an interview invite and I'm just wondering if these invitations are for wait list spots only. Are there any current PSU Hershey students here who either interviewed in March or know a classmate who interviewed this late in the cycle??
I'm pretty sure these interviews are still for spots!

Is there a forum/group for accepted students? I am strongly considering going to this school, and I would like to see if I can find any potential roommates.

Is there a forum/group for accepted students? I am strongly considering going to this school, and I would like to see if I can find any potential roommates.
There is a Facebook page. Search Penn State College of Medicine Class of 2021.

Okay so what does the "hold after interview" situation mean? I don't know of any other schools that do that. But I've been on "hold" after II for many months. Is this just a way of saying waitlisted?? Or...?

Okay so what does the "hold after interview" situation mean? I don't know of any other schools that do that. But I've been on "hold" after II for many months. Is this just a way of saying waitlisted?? Or...?
It's basically a waitlist unail after April 30th. We just have to be patient. I've been on hold since like beginning of Nov and I interviewed in September