2016-2017 Pennsylvania State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not sure where you got this information, but I want to clarify a few things. I'm guessing the Hershey student you talked to was telling you about the rotations that 3rd and 4th year Hershey students have been coming up to University Park to do for the past few years. While there seems to be some misinformation about how that works, it is a fairly different setup than the University Park program to which we are currently selecting applicants. The University Park program, distinct from what that student was talking about, is a full, four-year program in University Park which has not been done before (aside from MSDP piloting this year). There are absolutely as many specialty rotations, and you will actually be spending more time in clerkship roles seeing patients, not less. A major difference is that in Hershey rotations start during third year, whereas at University Park, our hybrid longitudinal integrated clerkships (LICs) will start in the first year and continue forward. The University Park program, just like Hershey, is not specifically aimed towards family med or primary care and we envision a wide variety of specialty outcomes for our students. Of the MSDPs who will join as part of the first class, we have interests in family med, internal med, heme/onc, psychiatry, aerospace medicine, etc. The Match lists for the students who did spend their MS3-MS4 years at University Park the past few years--which again is a fairly different curriculum than the University Park program to which pre-MS1s are currently applying--is available online and I would be happy to send it to you. Competitive specialties have not and will not be categorically disadvantaged.

Thanks for the clarification! None of the student reps on interview day talked much about either the new UP program or the UP rotations for 3rd and 4th year. I asked questions both about the new UP 4-year program and the 3rd/4th year rotations and that is what I was told! It seems they just had a lack of information.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This is correct. We are currently in the process of selecting a subset of those students who are already accepted to Hershey to come to University Park. Once a student matriculates to the University Park program, we do not envision that they will switch, and vice versa.

If a student is selected for the University Park Program post winter look event, would the student have the option accept or decline that offer after the second look event April 1 at Hershey?

I've been on hold since October (complete mid-August). Anyone know the likelihood of getting an II from the hold list (sorry if this has been asked before)? Or is hold = rejection basically?

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If a student is selected for the University Park Program post winter look event, would the student have the option accept or decline that offer after the second look event April 1 at Hershey?
This is a good question and the short answer is probably yes if an individual needs that time. We are hoping to start accepting applicants in mid-March, and we hope that students will respond to their admissions decision quickly such that we can inform waitlist candidates quickly. However, if an individual student is accepted to UP and is waffling between UP and Hershey, I do see the value in them attending the Hershey Second Look to make a more informed decision. Full disclosure, I attended Hershey Second Look last year and found it a cathartic experience which enabled me to more confidently accept my offer to join the UP program.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone - is there a portal somewhere for accepted students looking to find roommates?

Are people just using facebook?

I was put on hold November 2nd and I have not heard anything since then. Pretty please give me interview!! God please

Interviews continue until the end of next month right?

Hey does anyone know if PSUCOM takes step 1 after year 2 or year 3?

Anyone have any interview day advice?? Interviewing next week and would love some insight :)
Do the interviewers ask pretty standard questions (why med, why penn)? Are they conversational?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any interview day advice?? Interviewing next week and would love some insight :)
Do the interviewers ask pretty standard questions (why med, why penn)? Are they conversational?
Thanks!
Know your application very well. One of my interviewers had my application printed and notes taken all over it with questions. I was a little overwhelmed, one of the more stressful interviews that I've had.

Thanks!

I would agree with @Cynicalcatlady. Know your application well and be comfortable with answering "why penn state?" and "why medicine?" Both my interviewers read my application, including my letters of rec, thoroughly. My first interviewer asked several challenging questions about my path to medicine. She was pretty polite about it, however. She just wanted to have a better understanding of my thought process and fill in the gaps she had identified. My second interviewer extracted several aspects of my application that intrigued her, so we spent the majority of the time discussing our mutual interests and branching off from there. It was very conversational and actually one of the best interviews I've had thus far. Still, some other interviewers had very random interviews where the interviewers just made small talk with them for the entire time. So I would say it highly varies since the interviewer you are assigned will dictate the type of interview you have. But, stay composed and confident throughout. You'll be great. Best of luck!

Reactions: 4 users
I've been on hold since October (complete mid-August). Anyone know the likelihood of getting an II from the hold list (sorry if this has been asked before)? Or is hold = rejection basically?
I'm in the same-ish boat. Is PSUCOM done giving out interview invitations?

Anyone from 12/7 hear back yet? It'll be 11 weeks on Wednesday, so now that it's past 10 weeks, I have no idea what to expect. What's the longest it's taken some of you to hear back?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
it took me 14 weeks to hear back and I got accepted, no hold or anything, just silence after the interview. if that makes you feel any better

Anyone from 12/7 hear back yet? It'll be 11 weeks on Wednesday, so now that it's past 10 weeks, I have no idea what to expect. What's the longest it's taken some of you to hear back?

Long time follower of this thread. If it's any consolation, I interviewed back in mid-November and have yet to hear back.

it took me 14 weeks to hear back and I got accepted, no hold or anything, just silence after the interview. if that makes you feel any better

It does! Thank you so much, and congrats!

Long time follower of this thread. If it's any consolation, I interviewed back in mid-November and have yet to hear back.

That's crazy!! And I thought my wait was bad. But good luck to you! :) hopefully we both hear good news soon!

It does! Thank you so much, and congrats!

That's crazy!! And I thought my wait was bad. But good luck to you! :) hopefully we both hear good news soon!

I feel like this is completely unprofessional to keep somebody waiting this long to hear back. They should really put a time limit on it.

I feel like this is completely unprofessional to keep somebody waiting this long to hear back. They should really put a time limit on it.

I mean what are we going to do, not go to med school? The whole admissions process is varying degrees of this haha.

Reactions: 2 users
I mean what are we going to do, not go to med school? The whole admissions process is varying degrees of this haha.

If I were this person and I had multiple acceptances I would choose the other school, idk. I know most people are desperate to even get in at one school

Does anyone know when they send out financial aid letters??

I kind of feel the same way, especially because it's not like the admissions committee hasn't met (I mean, they've given several IIs in February!)

Part of me feels like no news is better than bad news, but the other part of me just wants to know so I can make decisions and move forward!!

Do we have choices or everyone have to take it after year 3 but not year 2?
What would be the difference bw the two? take it late = more preparation...
Also wondering this. What are the pros/cons to taking it after 3rd year?

Also wondering this. What are the pros/cons to taking it after 3rd year?

According to current med students: then step 1 and 2 are too close together and rushed.

Also as step 1 score is a large determining factor in which field you can go into, then you cannot fully commit to one field before taking it. For example, if I want derm and focus my research and interests on derm for the first 3 years then score a 220 on step 1, it isn't going to happen. Now you only have one year to completely change your residency application activities

Reactions: 4 users
According to current med students: then step 1 and 2 are too close together and rushed.

Also as step 1 score is a large determining factor in which field you can go into, then you cannot fully commit to one field before taking it. For example, if I want derm and focus my research and interests on derm for the first 3 years then score a 220 on step 1, it isn't going to happen. Now you only have one year to completely change your residency application activities
Ahhh, I see. Thanks for that clarification.

No worries. I'm glad somebody brought this up, I didn't know that about penn state. It isnt necessarily a deal breaker for me but I consider it a con.

pre-II hold since October! hoping for a miracle in the coming weeks haha

Reactions: 5 users

And a pro, as I've heard, is that you get more time to prepare for step 1, and utilize clinical experiences to do better on the exam... as I've heard (just trying to be fair in giving equal perspectives).

And a pro, as I've heard, is that you get more time to prepare for step 1, and utilize clinical experiences to do better on the exam... as I've heard (just trying to be fair in giving equal perspectives).

This is a very interesting topic because some schools are contemplating on making students taking step 1 after third year for this reason. However I believe I read on a thread that preliminary data shows no significant difference between taking it at the end of second or third year.

UPenn has arguably the highest step 1 average and they claim a large part of it is because the exam is largely clinical scenarios and they take it after rotations.

UPenn has arguably the highest step 1 average and they claim a large part of it is because the exam is largely clinical scenarios and they take it after rotations.
They also attract some of the brightest students in the world. Regardless of when they take it it would be very high

Reactions: 6 users
They also attract some of the brightest students in the world. Regardless of when they take it it would be very high

That is certainly true, but the similarly 'ranked' school Hopkins is known to have an abnormally low step 1 average compared to other top schools, and from what I understand, Penn is consistently on top. So in my opinion, curriculum changes can affect averages. Just wanted to give an example of a pro to taking step 1 later since everyone was listing cons.

Apparently all or most of the Ivy Leagues take step 1 after 3rd year now, and now PSUCOM is hopping on board. They say clinical experience results in higher scores, and you do take step 2 soon after, but step 2 is no big deal. Not sure if you get a choice to take it a year earlier. I am also a little hesitant to not know my score before rotations though.

Any thoughts on how the next batch of acceptees will be notified? Seems like they did away with the additional info tab as the first "notification"

Any thoughts on how the next batch of acceptees will be notified? Seems like they did away with the additional info tab as the first "notification"

I've been telling myself "this week!" for the past four weeks, so I've given up trying to predict...

Can someone provide some help on getting off the post II hold list here?

Was sent the email about a month ago. Thanks!!!

Can someone provide some help on getting off the post II hold list here?

Was sent the email about a month ago. Thanks!!!

If you took classes in the fall, you can send an official transcript! And I think you can send a LOI after April 30th!

When did you interview?

If you took classes in the fall, you can send an official transcript! And I think you can send a LOI after April 30th!

When did you interview?

11/14. Yeah, i'm two years out of school, so don't have much to update except work and a few activities. Sent an LOI already. Thanks!

This school open to in the area emails? (not sure if their interview session is over)

II today as well! After being on Pre II hold since 10/5

Reactions: 7 users