2016-2017 Pennsylvania State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know the grading system for Penn State? I can't seem to find it online.

Ah guys this is silly but does anyone have the link to the portal? I went on an email deleting-spree and deleted the secondary app email

Members don't see this ad :)
I know they don't accept updates, but has anyone sent anything pre-II like, 'I'm still alive and interested!' to Penn State? Hoping for a post hold II here :heckyeah:

Reactions: 1 user
In the acceptance packet it says first day of orientation is July 12!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Oh goodness, I searched and searched but I didn't see anything in my packet

I'm hoping they'll disclose all this info on Second Look day or via email soon

Just to let anyone else in the waiting boat know, I was just accepted today after a 15 week wait! So don't get discouraged if you haven't heard anything. Seems like a lot of people are facing long waits this year.

Reactions: 5 users
Just to let anyone else in the waiting boat know, I was just accepted today after a 15 week wait! So don't get discouraged if you haven't heard anything. Seems like a lot of people are facing long waits this year.
Interview date?

Members don't see this ad :)

I just got accepted as well! Interviewed 11/11!!! Super stoked!

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted today! Got the email this afternoon. Interviewed late December.

Reactions: 4 users
Just got an email, put on the hold list T.T. Penn state doesn't accept updates, right?

I was offered April 3, but I think there are other dates in late April! The portal was down when I tried to check
Congrats!!! super surprised that they're gonna interview until late April in this cycle...

Put on hold. Interviewed mid December. I thought this was the best interview I had this cycle. Oh well. :shrug:

Sorry fam. I'm assuming Hold is worse off than waitlist, right?

I'm not sure if it's the same at Penn State but for most schools the hold list is just purgatory and could turn into a WL, A, or R at any point but they usually won't let you know until the end of April.

Accepted today! I'm thrilled, as this is one of my dream schools.

LM69, non-trad, OOS.
Interviewed December 16th.

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats to everyone accepted. My application has been on committee hold since early January. I interviewed on September 21st. Does this mean i might hear their final decision soon since people are hearing back from the waitlist?Or is the committee hold different from waitlist?

I have an interview set for March 15th! Is it bad that the interview is this late in the cycle? I was shocked to get that invite.

Also, any tips for the interview? Does Penn State have a policy on thank you notes? Bribes? :)

Thanks!

I have an interview set for March 15th! Is it bad that the interview is this late in the cycle? I was shocked to get that invite.

Also, any tips for the interview? Does Penn State have a policy on thank you notes? Bribes? :)

Thanks!
Congrats! Were you on hold before? Stats?

Congrats to everyone accepted. My application has been on committee hold since early January. I interviewed on September 21st. Does this mean i might hear their final decision soon since people are hearing back from the waitlist?Or is the committee hold different from waitlist?
As far as I know people aren't hearing back from the waitlist yet. That probably won't happen until after April 30th when the school gets a sense of who will actually be attending.

As for the hold, it is different from the waitlist. Basically it means the admissions committee hasn't yet decided which pile to put you in (accept, reject, waitlist), and they will review your application again before making a decision. No idea when you're likely to hear. I think often not until the very end of the cycle.

Thanks!
They'll tell you everything you need to know about the thank you notes during your interview day. But yes, they do accept them.

Looks like they're interviewing even later than march so you should be good!

Congrats! Were you on hold before? Stats?

Thanks! I was never on the wait list and submitted the 2nd app on 11/1/16. I'm non-traditional (11 year career) and OOS.

Last edited:
Hey guys,
For those accepted, has anyone been awarded any scholarships? What are the likelihood of receiving need based or merit scholarships at Penn State School of Medicine?

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys,
For those accepted, has anyone been awarded any scholarships? What are the likelihood of receiving need based or merit scholarships at Penn State School of Medicine?

Curious about this too. Based on the website, it didn't really seem like they awarded scholarships to incoming students. Hopefully I'm wrong though, that tuition is STEEP.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if everyone who indicated that they are interested in one of the combined fast track programs (fam med, ortho, neurosurg, EM) will get a tertiary? application to fill out?

Does anyone know if everyone who indicated that they are interested in one of the combined fast track programs (fam med, ortho, neurosurg, EM) will get a tertiary? application to fill out?
Yeah - but I think you have to be accepted first to get the application. I received the applications via email for FM and EM.
Both programs stated there will be more information available at second look day.

Edit: the application for EM is due 4/7

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Cancelled my II and withdrew my application, good luck to anyone still waiting!

Reactions: 2 users

If they are interested in you, they will reach out with a tertiary application. You will then be invited for an interview after submitting it.

Yeah - but I think you have to be accepted first to get the application. I received the applications via email for FM and EM.
Both programs stated there will be more information available at second look day.

Edit: the application for EM is due 4/7

I received applications for both too. Are you planning on submitting applications for/ interviewing for either of the programs?

If they are interested in you, they will reach out with a tertiary application. You will then be invited for an interview after submitting it.

I received applications for both too. Are you planning on submitting applications for/ interviewing for either of the programs?

So they selectively send out the tertiary applications then? Not all accepted applicants who indicated interest get one?

Hey guys,

I interviewed here Feb 1st. When do you guys think I should hear back.

What do you mean by "kill the interview"? Unless you yell or disrespect the interviewer, give me examples plz!!!
Absolutely nail it. There was someone here that got their acceptance a few weeks after interviewing if I remember correctly. Compared to the 12+ week long wait most of us seem to have that's positively expedient. Just be yourself, and hopefully you'll "fit" perfectly enough that you get in in the next adcom meeting.

I didn't know they selectively screen interested applicants. I was under the impression that everyone interested would get an application but no news from the Ortho part yet. I did get an EM-APPS but I don't think I will turn that in.