2016-2017 University of Maryland Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Applied back in July (LizzyM around 75). Complete silence since. UMD is my state school so it kind of sucks to be waiting with nothing so far from them. The only good thing is I have 5 II's but I would really like to have a shot at my own state school, for obvious reasons. Anyone else in this boat?

Hey! Good to know someone else is in a similar position. I have multiple acceptances all at higher ranked schools but still haven't heard anything from Maryland. LizzyM 78+ and instate. Do you think we should email them at some point? Does having other acceptances make a letter of intent meaningful? I've been toying around with the idea as the weeks go by. Maryland was my top choice at the start of the cycle for personal and financial reasons. I almost applied there early decision.

Does anyone know how often acceptance calls or just news in general goes out? Dying to hear back from here!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you receive an email?
"The Committee on Admissions at the University of Maryland, School of Medicine has made an initial review of your application but has not yet reached a final decision as to whether or not to invite you to interview. Please be assured that this situation is not an unusual one. The limited number of interview slots, the very large number of applicants and the competitive nature of the selection process this year have made many of our decisions very difficult. Your application has been placed on hold.

The Committee will periodically review your credentials and will notify you as soon as a final decision has been reached. At that time you will either be invited to interview or you will be notified that the Committee on Admissions can not consider your application further.

Please keep in mind that this is a year long process. Interviews are conducted at the School of Medicine through the month of March. Therefore, you may not receive definiteive notification regarding your status for some time. You are welcome to submit any additional significant information, or updates, in support of your application as you see fit. I assure you that any new information that you submit will be placed in your file. I do ask though that you keep all other inquiries to a minimum so that the Committee on Admissions can complete the task of selecting the next entering freshman class.

I thank you for your interest in the University of Maryland, School of Medicine. I also appreciate your patience and wish you the best of luck!"

"The Committee on Admissions at the University of Maryland, School of Medicine has made an initial review of your application but has not yet reached a final decision as to whether or not to invite you to interview. Please be assured that this situation is not an unusual one. The limited number of interview slots, the very large number of applicants and the competitive nature of the selection process this year have made many of our decisions very difficult. Your application has been placed on hold.

The Committee will periodically review your credentials and will notify you as soon as a final decision has been reached. At that time you will either be invited to interview or you will be notified that the Committee on Admissions can not consider your application further.

Please keep in mind that this is a year long process. Interviews are conducted at the School of Medicine through the month of March. Therefore, you may not receive definiteive notification regarding your status for some time. You are welcome to submit any additional significant information, or updates, in support of your application as you see fit. I assure you that any new information that you submit will be placed in your file. I do ask though that you keep all other inquiries to a minimum so that the Committee on Admissions can complete the task of selecting the next entering freshman class.

I thank you for your interest in the University of Maryland, School of Medicine. I also appreciate your patience and wish you the best of luck!"

Sorry to hear that! I'm sure a hold/rejection will be coming for many of us soon

I received that message a few years ago when I applied and was rejected. Although you never know what will happen.

All you can do is remain optimistic and hope for an II.

got the same email

Members don't see this ad :)
im in-state, so this is my top choice

I also just got this email and am a Maryland resident. Do any of you know if it would be beneficial to submit additional materials? It seems from that email that they are open to it. Maybe an update on my gap year, another letter of recommendation, or something like that? I may eventually consider sending a letter of intent as well, but I think it's too early in the process for that yet.

I also got the same hold email. Complete late July.

for other people who received a hold email, when were you complete?

I also just got this email and am a Maryland resident. Do any of you know if it would be beneficial to submit additional materials? It seems from that email that they are open to it. Maybe an update on my gap year, another letter of recommendation, or something like that? I may eventually consider sending a letter of intent as well, but I think it's too early in the process for that yet.
i think if u have something new, inform the committee

Received hold e-mail as well... Complete late September :(. This is my favorite school.

Last edited:
Joining the team...just got the hold email. Complete early August.

Have people gotten a II after being placed on hold in recent years? or is it pretty much a rejection

Reactions: 1 user
Also placed on hold this afternoon. Complete July 26. Better than being rejected though so keep believing everyone!

Has anyone currently on hold checked the portal yet? Mine has "interview" under application category and also under review, but I received an email the same time saying that my application has been placed on hold... It is kinda weird though.

Have people gotten a II after being placed on hold in recent years? or is it pretty much a rejection

Received a separate rejection letter in March after being put on hold a few years back. I'm a re-applicant.

Received a separate rejection letter in March after being put on hold a few years back. I'm a re-applicant.

Well that's not too encouraging lol. Well here's to hoping you have a successful cycle this time around!

Well that's not too encouraging lol. Well here's to hoping you have a successful cycle this time around!

Thanks!

I already got my first acceptance from another school so I am more than happy!

To anyone who has interviewed here, can you comment on what your day was like?

It was definitely chill. You have two interviews with either 2 faculty or 1 faculty 1 student: both in the AM, one AM and one PM, or both PM. You get to have lunch with a bunch of current students and a tour from an M3 or M4. Pretty typical I guess? My interviewers were really nice and didn't grill me much. If you do research, esp if published, really know it and be able to explain it. I got asked v specific questions (it was almost the entirety of one of my interviews). Overall great 10/10

i think if u have something new, inform the committee

How about a "Why Maryland?" kind of essay? Is that overkill? I like the idea of writing them about why I love the school and why I want to go there, especially because it is my top choice. This doesn't exactly count as "new information," any ideas?

Has anyone who interviewed in mid Oct already received their decisions?

How about a "Why Maryland?" kind of essay? Is that overkill? I like the idea of writing them about why I love the school and why I want to go there, especially because it is my top choice. This doesn't exactly count as "new information," any ideas?
nope it isnt. new info like research, change of name/address, new volunteer stuff, coursework update etc

i am in the same boat. Got an email yesterday about my application being put on hold. What does that even mean?
Have you checked the portal? Has there been any changes since you received the on hold status?

I interviewed Mid-October and am kind of dying waiting for news.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted.

Was super nervous logging into the portal :hungover:. OOS

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else that has been accepted - do you all know what our next steps should be after accepting the offer? Was expecting some follow up from the university but haven't heard anything.

Accepted.

Was super nervous logging into the portal :hungover:. OOS

How did you find out and when did you interview if you don't mind me asking. I'm so very envious!