2016-2017 University of Miami (Miller) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are we expecting more II"S? Have all secondary apps been reviewed? If Miller knows that they will not review every single secondary, they must not request every student that applies to send a secondary. The secondary application fee that they collect is only justifiable if they indeed work on our applications.
yeah i still havent been scored. tempted to call my credit card company and get my money back if my app isnt ever going to be considered -_-

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Are we expecting more II"S? Have all secondary apps been reviewed? If Miller knows that they will not review every single secondary, they must not request every student that applies to send a secondary. The secondary application fee that they collect is only justifiable if they indeed work on our applications.
yeah i still havent been scored. tempted to call my credit card company and get my money back if my app isnt ever going to be considered -_-

Like I said before, highly doubt they haven't reviewed the files. Schools with 10k+ apps are wrapping up their interview seasons. They silent reject and many of us are in that pile, otherwise they wouldn't ask for more secondaries in December.

The only issue I have is the fake transparency they're trying to promote in the admissions process. They tell us to wait patiently for our portals to be updated when in reality we're probably just rejected. Previous threads also have them stating that they use a random process. Essentially it's a computer spitting out a random app to be reviewed regardless of GPA and MCAT. Gonna call BS on that. Just wished they'd stop giving us false hope. Not to mention at the end of the cycle, people who submitted in July and August would still not have been scored in the portal (even tho they have). It leaves a bad taste that we worked so hard and paid for our apps and it wasn't even looked at.

Reactions: 1 user
yeah i was complete back in july. im guessing their "random" process is going through apps with a minimum mcat gpa combination

Members don't see this ad :)
Like I said before, highly doubt they haven't reviewed the files. Schools with 10k+ apps are wrapping up their interview seasons. They silent reject and many of us are in that pile, otherwise they wouldn't ask for more secondaries in December.

The only issue I have is the fake transparency they're trying to promote in the admissions process. They tell us to wait patiently for our portals to be updated when in reality we're probably just rejected. Previous threads also have them stating that they use a random process. Essentially it's a computer spitting out a random app to be reviewed regardless of GPA and MCAT. Gonna call BS on that. Just wished they'd stop giving us false hope. Not to mention at the end of the cycle, people who submitted in July and August would still not have been scored in the portal (even tho they have). It leaves a bad taste that we worked so hard and paid for our apps and it wasn't even looked at.

I completely agree. Instead of building so much expectancy for so long, they should be more transparent and "reject" applicants after they review the primary application. UM, Miller should not request too many secondary applications!!! During and specially at the end of this process, there are too, too many students who get rejected. They get the benefit of the applicants secondary application fees, applications that are not even reviewed; applicants and the people who support them get discouraged, frustrated and disappointed. This system is not fair at all.

I completely agree. Instead of building so much expectancy for so long, they should be more transparent and "reject" applicants after they review the primary application. UM, Miller should not request too many secondary applications!!! During and specially at the end of this process, there are too, too many students who get rejected. They get the benefit of the applicants secondary application fees, applications that are not even reviewed; applicants and the people who support them get discouraged, frustrated and disappointed. This system is not fair at all.
What part of this is unique to Miami?

Like 95% of schools don't screen. You don't have a problem with Miami's application system, you have a problem with medical school application systems.

I don't really get what you mean by there are too many students who get rejected. No one is entitled to become a physician-- it's competitive for a reason and it's not meant for everyone, unfortunately.

... I need to ask UM about their "random" process.

They have published their "random" process. If anything their interview and admissions criteria is the most transparent of any school. Just because you individually may have not been successful with it doesn't mean it's random.

Reactions: 6 users

Hey I understand how frustrating this process is. But let me promise you your app has been seen, and theres no random process that spits out apps regardless of MCAT. Ive told admissions before (and they were receptive) that the stupid portal notifications need to go. The whole "scored, unscored, ready for review" etc thing is automated and does not relate to your app actually having been read. UM (and most schools) dont do rejections before the end of interview season because their list is fluid, and you could be anywhere on the list at any time. Updates, class profile, and other things shift the list around, and they could suddenly offer anyone an interview (even if your portal doesnt say youve been scored) at any time, up until the final interview date. Keep your head up and I wish you all the best...Sorry our portal is piece of junk haha.

Same to you, Im sorry the season has been frustrating. Just know that they request secondaries for a reason, and it's to get to know you better. The secondary is where you can overcome a bad GPA or MCAT, but obviously it doesn't always happen for everyone. They just want to give everyone a chance.

Also UM's average tuition is somewhere around 45k (between IS and OOS), which means for the whole school (~800 students) thats 36 Million dollars a year gross. The $75 application fee is definitely not a serious financial incentive for them to try to rip off applicants or something lol.

Hope you guys have a successful cycle when alls said and done, and sorry UM hasnt lived up to expectations :(

Hey I understand how frustrating this process is. But let me promise you your app has been seen, and theres no random process that spits out apps regardless of MCAT. Ive told admissions before (and they were receptive) that the stupid portal notifications need to go. The whole "scored, unscored, ready for review" etc thing is automated and does not relate to your app actually having been read. UM (and most schools) dont do rejections before the end of interview season because their list is fluid, and you could be anywhere on the list at any time. Updates, class profile, and other things shift the list around, and they could suddenly offer anyone an interview (even if your portal doesnt say youve been scored) at any time, up until the final interview date. Keep your head up and I wish you all the best...Sorry our portal is piece of junk haha.

Same to you, Im sorry the season has been frustrating. Just know that they request secondaries for a reason, and it's to get to know you better. The secondary is where you can overcome a bad GPA or MCAT, but obviously it doesn't always happen for everyone. They just want to give everyone a chance.

Also UM's average tuition is somewhere around 45k (between IS and OOS), which means for the whole school (~800 students) thats 36 Million dollars a year gross. The $75 application fee is definitely not a serious financial incentive for them to try to rip off applicants or something lol.

Hope you guys have a successful cycle when alls said and done, and sorry UM hasnt lived up to expectations :(

Thanks for the encouragement :happy:! I have no issue with UM trying to get as many secondaries as possible. It's $$$ and all schools do that. I have no issue with them doing silent rejections either because many schools do that as well. I'm grateful they're transparent about how we are scored.

But you hit the nail on the head. The portal and update system is just opening up a new can of worms. It gets messy if it's not updated and not representative of what is going on. Although I did read a thread from previous years in which a medical student at UM claimed to be part of the adcom. He justified the randomness of the review process by saying apps are randomly generated for reviewers. I figured I'd take his word for it since it's not very common on SDN for someone to pretend to be on the committee.

Thanks for the encouragement :happy:! I have no issue with UM trying to get as many secondaries as possible. It's $$$ and all schools do that. I have no issue with them doing silent rejections either because many schools do that as well. I'm grateful they're transparent about how we are scored.

But you hit the nail on the head. The portal and update system is just opening up a new can of worms. It gets messy if it's not updated and not representative of what is going on. Although I did read a thread from previous years in which a medical student at UM claimed to be part of the adcom. He justified the randomness of the review process by saying apps are randomly generated for reviewers. I figured I'd take his word for it since it's not very common on SDN for someone to pretend to be on the committee.

Ahhhhh. Ok to be clear they are random in that which reviewer gets which app is random. They dont let readers choose which apps they want to read (ie. "hey I only want to read apps from students who went to my alma matter, did research in my field, are URM, etc."). But everyone gets their app read and they generally go in order (once secondaries are complete, no idea how they decided who gets a secondary).

However, reader speed does vary...alot. So that contributes too. Not much anyone can do about that though. Trying to find readers for 9k apps is tough.

Anyone else waiting for an update received email? Sent one about a month ago with no answer.

Anyone else waiting for an update received email? Sent one about a month ago with no answer.

Took about a month for me to receive a confirmation email after sending an update in Dec. I sent another last week and haven't heard back yet but am assuming it will take just as long.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
You can always call admissions and ask if they got it or not. Just be super polite. They were receptive when I did that last year.

Yes, I tried that. Apparently they have received it, but have not put it in my file yet. I am just getting a little bit anxious given that UM is one of my top choices and they might not read my update until they've given out all the IIs :(

When I applied last year I finished my secondary in July and didn't get an interview or any portal changes until the end of Feb. As nerve-wracking as it is, just have to be patient.

When I applied last year I finished my secondary in July and didn't get an interview or any portal changes until the end of Feb. As nerve-wracking as it is, just have to be patient.
Out of curiosity, did you ever find out why it took so long, or is it just one of those random processes we will never understand?

What part of this is unique to Miami?

Like 95% of schools don't screen. You don't have a problem with Miami's application system, you have a problem with medical school application systems.

I don't really get what you mean by there are too many students who get rejected. No one is entitled to become a physician-- it's competitive for a reason and it's not meant for everyone, unfortunately.

They have published their "random" process. If anything their interview and admissions criteria is the most transparent of any school. Just because you individually may have not been successful with it doesn't mean it's random.

Thank you for the information, GrumpyGus. I will see you at Miami soon, at least when I interview! What should I wear ?

How do we join the FB group if we've been accepted? I received an invitation via e-mail but the link is broken.

How do we join the FB group if we've been accepted? I received an invitation via e-mail but the link is broken.
Please PM me if you have that problem. It is happening for students whose email they applied with is different from their Facebook emails.

Anyone else's status change to final decision in the past few days?

Anybody who interviewed in October or earlier hear back yet?

Anybody who interviewed in October or earlier hear back yet?

If you interviewed in October you should've either been WL or accepted in like, November, lol.

If you mean about the WL, then don't expect much movement til march (I was an Oct interview who came off the WL in march). I haven't heard of many people coming off the list before then. But the peak of WL movement will come in May, FYI.

Accepted today!!!! Just got the call. Interviewed 1/24 . Super fast turnaround! Yay!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted today!! Interviewed 1/27 :):):)

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted off the waitlist for MD/MPH! in such shock right now!

Reactions: 4 users
Ahhhhh a decision has been made on the portal but no acceptance call today, am I gonna get axed???? :( : ( : (

Any accepted students receive their financial aid package yet?
Financial Aid packages -- loans -- usually disburse in the second or so week of classes starting. As for scholarships, UMMSM has begun giving them to the students who have been accepted.

I'm assuming so given that I haven't seen an II posted here in quite some times and that they interview into March and its February...
I could be wrong (I really hope I am).
When I signed up for an interview in November, they had slots all the way until March 28th. You still have time

Should I be worried that I interviewed 1/20 and the status on my portal is still the same message from after I interviewed (your applications and interview report will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee... Decisions are usually made within 4-6 weeks...)?

Hi! If we have been accepted are we supposed to get an invitation to the fb group or should we contact someone? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
How do we find out about scholarships here? I understand that they are given out a little later than acceptances. Do we need to fill out any forms (UMiami specific, in addition to the FAFSA)?

I believe they said merit based aid is automatic and you do not need to fill out any additional forms.

I believe they said merit based aid is automatic and you do not need to fill out any additional forms.
Actually when you get waitlisted or accepted, you should receive a link in the email that they send you to fill out for scholarships. I think its for diversity, merit, and financial.

I did not find that link in my acceptance email? But I know the forms for diversity and need-based aid are online.

How do we find out about scholarships here? I understand that they are given out a little later than acceptances. Do we need to fill out any forms (UMiami specific, in addition to the FAFSA)?

Actually when you get waitlisted or accepted, you should receive a link in the email that they send you to fill out for scholarships. I think its for diversity, merit, and financial.

Here's the student financial aid website: http://www.mededu.miami.edu/OSFA/index.htm. Under the "Scholarships" tab, you can find more information about applying for University-specific grants and diversity scholarships. Unless it's changed from last year, you don't apply for merit scholarships - they are awarded to you.

Here's the student financial aid website: http://www.mededu.miami.edu/OSFA/index.htm. Under the "Scholarships" tab, you can find more information about applying for University-specific grants and diversity scholarships. Unless it's changed from last year, you don't apply for merit scholarships - they are awarded to you.

I didn't receive the link in my acceptance email either. But thanks for the help y'all!

Is the only way to accept an offer through email?

Late reply, but accepted off the WL for MD last week!

Reactions: 4 users