2016-2017 University of Miami (Miller) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi! If we have been accepted are we supposed to get an invitation to the fb group or should we contact someone? Thanks!
You should PM me and I'll add you. Unfortunately, I haven't received the most updated list of accepted students this week, so there may be a little delay in adding you.

You should PM me and I'll add you. Unfortunately, I haven't received the most updated list of accepted students this week, so there may be a little delay in adding you.
Ok no worries I will message you! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I can confirm! Called adcom and was told they're definitely not done giving out II until end of March...so keep your hopes up!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
...I guess they will only be calling IS ... and maybe for their WL ... in other words! No chance!

...I guess they will only be calling IS ... and maybe for their WL ... in other words! No chance!

Why is that so? I've been hearing how UMiami wants more OOS, plus I know for a fact from previous cycles that an interview now by all means does not mean a spot on the waitlist. Why would a school continue their interview season and spend a lot of money and their adcom's time interviewing just to place students on the waitlist?
It's never over until it's over. Just stay positive! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Why is that so? I've been hearing how UMiami wants more OOS, plus I know for a fact from previous cycles that an interview now by all means does not mean a spot on the waitlist. Why would a school continue their interview season and spend a lot of money and their adcom's time interviewing just to place students on the waitlist?
It's never over until it's over. Just stay positive! Good luck!

I like your optimism! OOS's need to make plans to travel to Miami. A last minute airfare ticket price could be a killer. When I went to CA, I paid the price. This process is quite expensive and stressful.

I like your optimism! OOS's need to make plans to travel to Miami. A last minute airfare ticket price could be a killer. When I went to CA, I paid the price. This process is quite expensive and stressful.

Thanks! And totally agree with the expenses and stress.

I got invited to the fb group but the link doesn't work, anyone else having this problem?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile

I got invited to the fb group but the link doesn't work, anyone else having this problem?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile
That happens if the email you applied to UM with is different from your Facebook email. Please PM me with your name, your UM application email, and your Facebook email.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got a II. Just selected my preferred interview dates. Anyone know when they will let me know which date my interview would be? (sorry if this was talked about earlier in the thread)

Reactions: 1 users
Got a II. Just selected my preferred interview dates. Anyone know when they will let me know which date my interview would be? (sorry if this was talked about earlier in the thread)

Just got an II as well. No interview dates are shown when I click the portal though. What dates did you see @Wittgenstein?

Congrats! When were you complete? And do you rmemeber what status you had on your portal before receiving the II?

I was complete 7/11

Your application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University Miami Miller School of Medicine. Applicants will be invited to interview based on their evaluation score from the Admissions Committee review. You will be contacted by email if you are selected to interview. Interview invitations are extended from August to March.

The reason I have this down verbatim is because I've received the email for the II, but they haven't updated my portal yet, hence why I can't pick my interview dates.

I was complete 7/11

Your application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University Miami Miller School of Medicine. Applicants will be invited to interview based on their evaluation score from the Admissions Committee review. You will be contacted by email if you are selected to interview. Interview invitations are extended from August to March.

The reason I have this down verbatim is because I've received the email for the II, but they haven't updated my portal yet, hence why I can't pick my interview dates.

Does anybody know how many have signed up on Facebook, UM Class 2021? It could give us an idea as of how many have been accepted so far. Is UM interviewing for the WL?

II today!! Very excited. I picked the interview dates. When will we know which date it is going to be so I can make travel arrangements?

Can a current student explain to me what the PIR system is? How are classes graded? And how the administration works with students needs?

II today!! Very excited. I picked the interview dates. When will we know which date it is going to be so I can make travel arrangements?
You should get an email back in a day or two with the conformation. Just hold tight :)

Can a current student explain to me what the PIR system is? How are classes graded? And how the administration works with students needs?

LOL PIR...Ok. It stands for Professionalism Incident Report (or something like that), and is a way for students to anonymously report un-professional behavior. Say in 3rd/4th year, on a clerkship, a resident or attending does something that you are like ethically horrified by, and you don't believe that this is behavior befitting of doctors. But this person is writing your review! So you fill out a PIR and AFTER your rotation has ended, the incident is investigated and the subject of the PIR spoken to. That's best case scenario. Students sometimes use it on each other inappropriately though. All PIRs are reviewed by the Dead of Student Services, and each is evaluated on an individual basis. If it's a bogus PIR, it doesn't really go anywhere. If it's a serious issue, it advances up a chain of deans and committees until a resolution is reached on what will be done. Usually, 1 PIR is a talking-to unless you've done something incredibly egregious. It won't go on your Dean's Letter. You'll learn more about it when you get here - don't worry about it now. Overall it's a well-intentioned system with potential for abuse, but there are checks and balances on it. There's also PCR: professionalism commendation report, which are reports of great things you did. These automatically get put in your Dean's Letter.

What do you mean how are classes graded? You take a test and you get a grade? Each module usually has some extra component too - quizzes and attendance at mandatory small groups. It's like any other class? Let me know if you wanted more answer than that.

The admin is, for the most part, very responsive to student feedback. If there is a consistent theme in course evaluations, changes are made. For example, the current 2nd year MD/MPH students didn't think there was enough pharmacology in their curriculum, so more was added. Sometimes course directors are willing to move a Monday test to a Tuesday if there's a health fair that same weekend. Is this what you were looking for? If not, sorry, and let me know more specifically what you have a question on.

Last edited:
I've been on the waitlist since October, wondering if I still have a realistic chance of being taken off at any point

Is Miami the type of school to use the later interview dates to fill out the waitlist or are acceptances given out through March?

Almost half of acceptances occur after May 15th. Still possible

Interview day they say they accepted about 380/630 interviewees last year. In the hub, they list 9 acceptance days. They accept 20 applicants per acceptance day. Thats 180.
Therefore, last year they accepts 200 students after March 15th (which is their last listed day in the Hub)

Interview day they say they accepted about 380/630 interviewees last year. In the hub, they list 9 acceptance days. They accept 20 applicants per acceptance day. Thats 180.
Therefore, last year they accepts 200 students after March 15th (which is their last listed day in the Hub)

Does it say somewhere that 20 are accepted per acceptance day?

Does it say somewhere that 20 are accepted per acceptance day?

They said it at the interview day.
They also mentioned that the adcom meets every other Wednesday through April 30, FWIW. Even if the dates aren't listed on The Hub.

I checked my portal today and got this message:

"Your Application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Applicants will be invited to interview based on their evaluation score for the Admissions Committee review. You will be contacted by email if you are selected for an interview. Interview invitations are extended between August and March."

I freaked out and just checked and now it won't let me log into my account. Did this happen to anyone else, is there a reason why I cannot log in?

They also mentioned that the adcom meets every other Wednesday through April 30, FWIW. Even if the dates aren't listed on The Hub.

To accept people or to discuss those that have recently interviewed? Are you saying there are more acceptance days than those listed in the hub?

Your Application is currently under review by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine.

do people still have this message....

Reactions: 11 users
To accept people or to discuss those that have recently interviewed? Are you saying there are more acceptance days than those listed in the hub?
That's how they made it seem during interview day. Every other Wednesday, all members of the adcom rate those who interviewed since the last meeting 1-5 and you get placed on the proper spot on the list of ALL interviewees based on your average rating out of 5. They take the top 20 at the end of the meeting.

This was my impression. So you could interview and have an average score of 4.7654 and be #26. They accept the top 20 that Wednesday and then you move up to #6 for the next adcom meeting. Of course, more people will likely have interviewed and you can pushed down to #11 or outside of the top 20.

I love the transparency they had with us about their process, and I do think it's a fair system since they said 50some people vote on you.

That's how they made it seem during interview day. Every other Wednesday, all members of the adcom rate those who interviewed since the last meeting 1-5 and you get placed on the proper spot on the list of ALL interviewees based on your average rating out of 5. They take the top 20 at the end of the meeting.

This was my impression. So you could interview and have an average score of 4.7654 and be #26. They accept the top 20 that Wednesday and then you move up to #6 for the next adcom meeting. Of course, more people will likely have interviewed and you can pushed down to #11 or outside of the top 20.

I love the transparency they had with us about their process, and I do think it's a fair system since they said 50some people vote on you.

All I'm saying is if they may meet through April 30th, why is the last listed "acceptance day" on the hub March 15th?

Your Application is currently under review by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine.

do people still have this message....
I do, and I'm getting nervous. Isn't the last acceptance date March 15? Does this mean that anyone who interviews after that is interviewing for the waitlist?

All I'm saying is if they may meet through April 30th, why is the last listed "acceptance day" on the hub March 15th?
I don't know, I'm only telling you what they told us, and that's that they meet every other Wednesday and they didn't mention a March 15 end date. They certainly made it seem like they go all the way through April. Plus ending on March 15 would only get the class to 180 like someone mentioned. They said they intend to take a class of 198 and offer acceptances to about 380 people.

I don't know, I'm only telling you what they told us, and that's that they meet every other Wednesday and they didn't mention a March 15 end date. They certainly made it seem like they go all the way through April. Plus ending on March 15 would only get the class to 180 like someone mentioned. They said they intend to take a class of 198 and offer acceptances to about 380 people.
Right but a lot of those acceptances will come after May 15th when applicants can only hold one acceptance.

However, an AAMC traffic rule states they have to accept at least the number of seats in their class by March 15th, so there must be more than 20 people accepted on some acceptance days. That way they can get up to 198 people by March 15th.

Your Application to the UM Miller School of Medicine is complete and is currently being reviewed by the Admissions Committee.

Am I ever going to get scored with this status? Submitted secondary early Septmeber

Does anybody know how many have signed up on Facebook, UM Class 2021? It could give us an idea as of how many have been accepted so far. Is UM interviewing for the WL?
Using the Facebook page for that isn't the best idea. Some people don't have FB, some people haven't joined the group yet, and some people are on the group even though they have other acceptances and will likely withdraw. Regardless, the class is not full since people get added all the way until the weeks just before school starts.

I do, and I'm getting nervous. Isn't the last acceptance date March 15? Does this mean that anyone who interviews after that is interviewing for the waitlist?
It doesn't really matter if you're interviewing for the waitlist since tons of my classmates came off the waitlist after the date that people could only hold one acceptance. The "waitlist" is just everyone in scored order, and they accept the top people off of that list every interview day. So technically speaking, everyone is on the waitlist after they interview. At the first admissions meeting after their interview, they will either get an acceptance email or waitlist email based on if they were in the top spots of that list. But it is all the same list.

It doesn't really matter if you're interviewing for the waitlist since tons of my classmates came off the waitlist after the date that people could only hold one acceptance. The "waitlist" is just everyone in scored order, and they accept the top people off of that list every interview day. So technically speaking, everyone is on the waitlist after they interview. At the first admissions meeting after their interview, they will either get an acceptance email or waitlist email based on if they were in the top spots of that list. But it is all the same list.
I am curious if you can answer this for me: How far into the waitlist do you think they will dip into if they're going to accept about another 180-200? Do you think people towards the "middle of the waitlist" have a shot as do (obviously) those towards the "top of the waitlist"?

Thank you

I am curious if you can answer this for me: How far into the waitlist do you think they will dip into if they're going to accept about another 180-200? Do you think people towards the "middle of the waitlist" have a shot as do (obviously) those towards the "top of the waitlist"?

Thank you
I know that many of my classmates got off the waitlist after the AAMC date where you can only hold one school. That means that a lot of the "top of the waitlist" that got accepted right away, decided not to come to miami. Realistically if you are literally the middle of the waitlist, no you're probably not going to get in, but if you got an invite at the end of the cycle and do a good job at your interview, then sure, you have a shot. Also, where did you get the number 180-200? I don't see that many more acceptances going out considering the number of people I have invited to the FB page.

LOL PIR...Ok. It stands for Professionalism Incident Report (or something like that), and is a way for students to anonymously report un-professional behavior. Say in 3rd/4th year, on a clerkship, a resident or attending does something that you are like ethically horrified by, and you don't believe that this is behavior befitting of doctors. But this person is writing your review! So you fill out a PIR and AFTER your rotation has ended, the incident is investigated and the subject of the PIR spoken to. That's best case scenario. Students sometimes use it on each other inappropriately though. All PIRs are reviewed by the Dead of Student Services, and each is evaluated on an individual basis. If it's a bogus PIR, it doesn't really go anywhere. If it's a serious issue, it advances up a chain of deans and committees until a resolution is reached on what will be done. Usually, 1 PIR is a talking-to unless you've done something incredibly egregious. It won't go on your Dean's Letter. You'll learn more about it when you get here - don't worry about it now. Overall it's a well-intentioned system with potential for abuse, but there are checks and balances on it. There's also PCR: professionalism commendation report, which are reports of great things you did. These automatically get put in your Dean's Letter.

What do you mean how are classes graded? You take a test and you get a grade? Each module usually has some extra component too - quizzes and attendance at mandatory small groups. It's like any other class? Let me know if you wanted more answer than that.

The admin is, for the most part, very responsive to student feedback. If there is a consistent theme in course evaluations, changes are made. For example, the current 2nd year MD/MPH students didn't think there was enough pharmacology in their curriculum, so more was added. Sometimes course directors are willing to move a Monday test to a Tuesday if there's a health fair that same weekend. Is this what you were looking for? If not, sorry, and let me know more specifically what you have a question on.

Wait so you can anonymously report each other? That really does seem like it has a lot of potential for abuse. How often is it used badly?

MSAR has Miller listed as a hybrid pass fail. I don't exactly know what that means.

However, an AAMC traffic rule states they have to accept at least the number of seats in their class by March 15th, so there must be more than 20 people accepted on some acceptance days. That way they can get up to 198 people by March 15th.

The MD only class is ~150 students per year. MD + MD/MPH (which is ~50) make ~200. The MD/MPH has a separate interview process, accepted list and waitlist.

Wait so you can anonymously report each other? That really does seem like it has a lot of potential for abuse. How often is it used badly?

MSAR has Miller listed as a hybrid pass fail. I don't exactly know what that means.

It's not often abused. This year's MS1 class is the first that I've heard of having a bit of a problem with it, but like I mentioned, there are checks and balances through which abuses of the system are recognized as such and no harm comes out of a spam PIR being filed.

Ahh hybrid P/F. So we get actual number grades on our exams and for all of our classes, and we are given histogram distributions of how the rest of the class did. However, anything over a 70 is considered a pass. Every year you need to have passed all of your modules in order to advance on to the next year (you can either repeat a year or remediate during the summer to get the P). For your transcript, each module is listed with a P or F, your number grade, and the histogram distribution of the whole class on that module.

Grades are kept and internal rankings noted so that AOA can be distributed during 3rd/4th year. We find out our ranking at the end of second year. All schools that grant AOA are not true P/F, since AOA is determined predominantly by grades. Does that help? There are a bunch of posts within this thread that also address grading, so you can look those up if you want more info too

Last edited:
Hi, current applicants! MS2 here, currently procrastinating from step 1 studying lol. If anyone has questions, I can try answering them. My colleagues @The Knife & Gun Club, @gcuddles, and @teeayejay have all given great insight, so go read their posts if you haven't already!