2016-2017 University of Minnesota Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, they didn't send me a secondary for over two months after my primary was verified and I had selected a campus, even though I easily made the cut-off for GPA and MCAT.

Many others in this boat?

Any insights into why they do that, or if having applied early but completed the secondary late is a setback? Seems like a subtle hint (from very early on) to give up lol.

Members don't see this ad.

So, they didn't send me a secondary for over two months after my primary was verified and I had selected a campus, even though I easily made the cut-off for GPA and MCAT.

Any insights into why they do that, or if having applied early but completed the secondary late is a setback? Seems like a subtle hint (from very early on) to give up lol.

No advice but this happened to me too!

Waitlist email...too bad, would have loved to stay in Minnesota!

Members don't see this ad :)

Seems usual.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Rejected yesterday. OOS. Interviewed 9/27. Good luck to everybody still in the running.

I was wait-listed yesterday. A lil bummed not to be loved by my home institution / alma mater, but also kinda ready to try living in another state/city for a while before I'm old and burnt out :)

I was wait-listed yesterday. A lil bummed not to be loved by my home institution / alma mater, but also kinda ready to try living in another state/city for a while before I'm old and burnt out :)
Not great news but not the worst either.. When did you interview?

Don't fret too much on your personal timing related to others who interviewed on the same day.

Based on my own understanding of the U of M interview process, your application is sent to 3 new reviewers after the interview. They then make a recommendation/decision after reviewing your whole application. If needed, (not unanimous decision between 3 reviewers) it then goes to the larger ADCOM group meeting for review. It's possible everyone is reviewed here at least briefly, but if decision between 3 reviewers was unanimous there's not much to discuss.

So, what could affect the timing of your interview compared to others on the same day?
  • What 3 reviewers did you get? Are they backlogged more than others? Just like professors in college grade papers at different rates, it could be the same here.
  • Similarly, life events, vacations, conferences/meetings abroad for adcom members can push it back a week. For example, I'd be a bit surprised if the ADCOM meets this week.
  • The ADCOM likely meets for a specific amount of time, rather than going until they get through all the applicants for the day. Maybe they didn't get to you that day, so you're at the top of the list for the next meeting.
  • Were 3 reviewers not unanimous for you, but were for others?
Etc. There's a lot that goes into it, don't read into the timing too much.

Reactions: 4 users
Are you guys are your secondary application? Interviewed Sep.30th. Here is a picture

I already interviewed the first week of November, and I don't even have number 4 in my portal... Should I be concerned? There is no reference to my interview anywhere in my portal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I already interviewed the first week of November, and I don't even have number 4 in my portal... Should I be concerned? There is no reference to my interview anywhere in my portal.
Same here. Interviewed same week, only #s 1-3 in my portal. I wouldn't worry

They supposedly meet every other Tuesday. Which would have been Tuesday of this week. Which has generally led to decisions on Thursday/Friday... but here we are and it's all silent.

The meeting schedule might have been disrupted by Thanksgiving!

Still in limbo here--no II, no rejection. Anyone else similarly situated? I called the admissions office just to verify, and indeed, my application is "pending consideration for an interview".

I wonder what percentage of applicants would post on this thread. Seems easily like less than 5% or even 2%. We're probably less than 50, at most 100 people on this thread out of over ~4k primary apps. I'd say this thread can reasonably be used when positive data is given (a user posts they got a decision), but not when no data is given (can't assume no movement just because no one posts).

I think that's partially true. However the last round of decisions had people that interviewed the same day as me. Hard to believe they spend multiple ADCOM meetings and still don't get through a single day/week of interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
II 1/27

Reactions: 3 users
ACCEPTED! Just got the call! In state, LizzyM 73, interviewed 10/14. :)

Reactions: 10 users
Just received a rejection email from UMD, pre- II. Instate applicant.
Complete back in July sometime.

I'm interviewing here next tuesday, anyone who has gone through the MMI any insight?

I'm interviewing here next tuesday, anyone who has gone through the MMI any insight?

I've had two MMIs so far. The UMN interview was so much more chill than my other one (looking at you Rosalind Franklin). There's really no way to prep. You can watch some YouTube videos about MMI scenarios, but really you don't need to. The whole point of MMI is to judge applicant on their natural abilities in social/medical scenarios, so they're designed to not be able to prep for.

Basically if you know how MMIs work, that's enough prep.

ACCEPTED! Just got the call.

Edit: interviewed 10/4

Edit again: IS, Lizzy M ~66

Did you/anyone receive a confirmation email/portal change, other than the #umnmed2021 email? This is my first acceptance, and I'm way too excited for more information...

Did you/anyone receive a confirmation email/portal change, other than the #umnmed2021 email? This is my first acceptance, and I'm way too excited for more information...

I got an email with my official acceptance the next business day! (Got accepted on a Friday and got the official email Monday). My portal allowed me to pay my deposit almost immediately, then it was confirmed on the port like 2 business days later.

Congrats!

Accepted last week!!

Lizzy M 76
IS
Complete: mid July
Interviewed: mid October

Reactions: 6 users
For those of you that already interviewed, do you start the MMI's right away or is there stuff before them?

So i just submitted my secondary right now haha
when do the last II's go out? I assume there's still a chance since the deadline isn't till January for the secondaries