2016-2017 University of Pittsburgh Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm in the same boat as you (slightly lower GPA, slightly higher MCAT), but considering they have rejected others who applied somewhat close to this time frame I think we still have hope..
Alright! Well fingers crossed for both of us then! I really like their program!

Members don't see this ad.

Why do I feel like Pittsburgh's axe is coming my way

just rejected via email! good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone have any idea of the accepted vs matriculated stats for UPSOM?
I'm not exactly sure but I thought on my tour one of the students said that a large number of their class comes from the waitlist...not exactly what you were looking for but I am also curious to find some stats on this :)

anyone have any idea of the accepted vs matriculated stats for UPSOM?

Numbers from the horse's mouth:
850 interviewed, 360 accepted, 148 matriculated. 2/3 of final class came from the waitlist.

This means ~100 people came in off the waitlist, 260 people got outright acceptances out of 850 interviews = 30% post-II chance of direct accept, 42% chance of getting in either directly or off the WL. Not sure how big the waitlist was.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
850 interviewed, 360 accepted, 148 matriculated. 2/3 of final class came from the waitlist.

This means ~100 people came in off the waitlist, 260 people got outright acceptances out of 850 interviews = 30% post-II chance of direct accept, 42% chance of getting in either directly or off the WL. Not sure how big the waitlist was.

...Does this mean that if you get waitlisted, you have a 12% chance of getting off of it, statistically?
Why is their matriculation rate so low? Is it cause they accept only the top top candidates outright, who will have a bunch of different options?

Why is their matriculation rate so low? Is it cause they accept only the top top candidates outright, who will have a bunch of different options?
They said a lot of the people they accept at first end up attending top 10 medical schools

Thank you!!! any idea on instate vs out of state preference?

Thank you!!! any idea on instate vs out of state preference?

I don't remember if anything was mentioned on interview day. From MSAR:

IS: 749 applied, 133 interviews, 41 matriculated = 18% II rate
OOS: 4319 applied, 682 interviews, 103 matriculated = 16% II rate

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone think publication is necessary for acceptance?

does anyone think publication is necessary for acceptance?
Yes. You should immediately withdraw if you haven't been published in IF>5.0. IF<5.0 pubs count as 1/2 of a pub.

Reactions: 5 users
Yes. You should immediately withdraw if you haven't been published in IF>5.0. IF<5.0 pubs count as 1/2 of a pub.
Before I get banned, I hope that everyone understands that my previous post was complete sarcasm.

Reactions: 1 user
Found out I was rejected as I'm walking into another interview.. Sucks bc it kinda threw me off for the interview

Anyone get the "Admissions Data Forms" tab on their portal after their interview? Or any PSTP applicants get the "Confirm PSTP Interview" option under interview management? Those were recently new for me.

When are you interviewing? I'm wondering if to wait until then as well but my interview is in December and couldn't figure out if the PSTP is rolling from the website.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I applied PSTP and at my interview they said that even though the application isn't due until Feb, they might start interviewing in Jan.

I applied PSTP and at my interview they said that even though the application isn't due until Feb, they might start interviewing in Jan.

Wait so we will have to come back again for a separate interview ? Ugh

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Looking through the thread it looks like a lot of people with better stats than me have been rejected. :( I interviewed here the first week of September....did Pittsburgh change the type of applicant they are looking for this year or did I just get lucky? I loved the school and city with the urban environment around campus!

Looking through the thread it looks like a lot of people with better stats than me have been rejected. :( I interviewed here the first week of September....did Pittsburgh change the type of applicant they are looking for this year or did I just get lucky? I loved the school and city with the urban environment around campus!
could be the pennsylvania resident as well as EC's that you've had that factor in!

It's not all about the stats

Agreed, definitely more than just numbers. I was just wondering if maybe there was a different trend this year of who they're interviewing. Probably not.
I interviewed in October, LizzyM 75-78, PA resident as well

Anyone know if pitt takes updates / letter of interest post interview?

Can anyone talk about the evaluated team based activity? Do they just sit and watch you?

I hated the group activity interview so much. It was very artificial and the faculty member kept interrupting and asking weird questions that we all had to take turns answering and fake smiling to. The traditional interviews were very relaxed.

Reactions: 1 users
I thought the group activity was fine. We were split up into groups of 4, everybody got a card with an ethical scenario on it. We discussed amongst ourselves, came up with a solution. The interviewer/evaluator just sat and listened, occasionally guided the conversation, then gave us a high five and sent us on our way. Easy peasy. My group didn't engage in any fake-smiling or turn-taking, it was just a natural group discussion.

Reactions: 3 users
The group activity isn't used in admissions decision. It's just being tested now.

The group activity isn't used in admissions decision. It's just being tested now.
Really? I thought it was a part of the evaluation. I know for sure the group discussion of ethical scenario where all the interviewees participate together is not evaluated.

The small group activity is evaluated, but the large group activity is not evaluated. At least that's what they told us on interview day

Reactions: 1 users
My small group leader told us otherwise. Edit: my interview was back in September so perhaps it's changed over the cycle.
The small group activity is evaluated, but the large group activity is not evaluated. At least that's what they told us on interview day

My small group leader told us otherwise. Edit: my interview was back in September so perhaps it's changed over the cycle.
Mine was in august and they told us exactly what Aksks said

Mine was in august and they told us exactly what Aksks said
i interviewed in october. they said the small group was something new they were trying, but it was evaluated. at the end, the evaluator said we all did a great job. i'm not sure what they are really for in that except collaboration skills