2016-2017 University of Pittsburgh Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Last year's thread has me WAY over analyzing my portal haha. For example, a couple weeks after my interview they added the "Accepted Applicants" tab, but it has nothing on it. And now I don't know if my status page said "MedA" the whole time or not! *Takes a deep breath, carries on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile
Hahaha @DaveCat I did that too! I was trying to remember if it was that the people with blue or red underneath their tabs were accepted or not.. But it turned out to be speculation from what I recall... Don't go down the rabbit hole... haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Hahaha @DaveCat I did that too! I was trying to remember if it was that the people with blue or red underneath their tabs were accepted or not.. But it turned out to be speculation from what I recall... Don't go down the rabbit hole... haha.
Hahaha yeah. It turned out the blue was a joke and people with red were accepted. I feel like that was much closer to the notification date though.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you check sdn to verify that you aren't the only one overcome with anxiety at this 1/31 release date

Reactions: 5 users
It's funny how time seems to move slower when you're paying attention.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 9 users
Hahaha yeah. It turned out the blue was a joke and people with red were accepted. I feel like that was much closer to the notification date though.
what does this mean, blue or red under the tabs? **edit: never mind. I went and creeped myself. Now I am obsessively checking my portal hoping something will change (although it looks like it won't change until the day before).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
what does this mean, blue or red under the tabs? **edit: never mind. I went and creeped myself. Now I am obsessively checking my portal hoping something will change (although it looks like it won't change until the day before).
Welcome to the club haha. One more week!!

Reactions: 4 users
ONE. MORE. WEEK!!!!

Reactions: 7 users
So does everyone who interviewed prior to Jan 31 find out on that day?

So does everyone who interviewed prior to Jan 31 find out on that day?
It was my understanding that Pitt is done interviewing at this point, and everyone will find out on January 31. I could be wrong though.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It was my understanding that Pitt is done interviewing at this point, and everyone will find out on January 31. I could be wrong though.

Pitt finished interviews in December, I believe the 19th or something but it is listed on the admissions website if anyone needs to confirm the exact date. So yes, everyone finds out on the 31st.

Reactions: 1 users
Everytime i check my portal, my worst nightmare is accidentally clicking on the "Withdraw" tab.

Reactions: 9 users
What's the consensus on sending an update this late? Is it too close to the decision release date and better to wait until potential -although hopefully not- waitlist?

What's the consensus on sending an update this late? Is it too close to the decision release date and better to wait until potential -although hopefully not- waitlist?
im saving my update for when i get waitlisted. There is A LOT of WL movement here.

I haven't posted in forever but the waiting has had me checking this page daily so I figured I'd jump in =)

I sent an update last week with new grades and activities in the hopes that it'll at least get me onto the wait list haha. If I make it onto that, then I'll send another one later on with updates/letter of intent. That was my game plan but if you're more confident then maybe waiting to send an update after decisions are sent would be good.

Still no change in font....lol someone help me i think I'm certifiably insane. Checking every day for my font to change color.....

Reactions: 2 users
You should wait to update until after decisions are out. It's not going to change anything right now.

I sent an update last week with new grades and activities in the hopes that it'll at least get me onto the wait list haha. If I make it onto that, then I'll send another one later on with updates/letter of intent. That was my game plan but if you're more confident then maybe waiting to send an update after decisions are sent would be good.
I see in your bio that you are a PA resident, as am I. Do you think that will help us at all in the selection process?

We expecting emails or calls for these decisions? Also what is this portal change thing people are talking about?
From looking at last years thread, it appears that about a day before the decisions were supposed to be released, pretty much everyone who was admitted had some red text appear on their status page right under the "admissions data" tab, while people who were waitlisted or rejected didn't have any text.

From looking at last years thread, it appears that about a day before the decisions were supposed to be released, pretty much everyone who was admitted had some red text appear on their status page right under the "admissions data" tab, while people who were waitlisted or rejected didn't have any text.
What about "MedA Application Status"? Is this something everyone has?

I see in your bio that you are a PA resident, as am I. Do you think that will help us at all in the selection process?
Like tarheelpenner said, they're private so I doubt it. But I sure hope it makes them like me a little more hahah. I'm from outside philly so I don't have any close ties to Pittsburgh :shrug:

Like tarheelpenner said, they're private so I doubt it. But I sure hope it makes them like me a little more hahah. I'm from outside philly so I don't have any close ties to Pittsburgh :shrug:
% OOS applicants interviewed = 15.7%; % IS applicants interviewed=17.9%. So yeah not really much of a difference. but i did notice on interview day that many med students had gone to pitt undergrad. they might have preference for their own undergrad, but not state.

% OOS applicants interviewed = 15.7%; % IS applicants interviewed=17.9%. So yeah not really much of a difference. but i did notice on interview day that many med students had gone to pitt undergrad. they might have preference for their own undergrad, but not state.

I noticed this as well but from what one of the deans said it's completely self selection. The ones more likely to matriculate are the ones that went there for ugrad.

Pitt also has the guaranteed admit program so that adds to the number of Pitt alums in the med school class. A solid number of non-GA Pitt students still matriculate, but the GA people add a significant amount to that number. I want to say my year there were 18 Pitt alums and 8 of them were guaranteed admit.

Pitt also has the guaranteed admit program so that adds to the number of Pitt alums in the med school class. A solid number of non-GA Pitt students still matriculate, but the GA people add a significant amount to that number. I want to say my year there were 18 Pitt alums and 8 of them were guaranteed admit.
Pitt students are not necessarily considered PA residents though if they went to Pitt and aren't from the state, right? I thought residency was the state you graduated HS from

To me it sounds like we've just run out of things to try and over analyze for the next 6 day haha

Reactions: 13 users
Pitt students are not necessarily considered PA residents though if they went to Pitt and aren't from the state, right? I thought residency was the state you graduated HS from

You can establish residency during school. People usually keep their former permanent address during college though.

http://www.scsc.pa.gov/Job-Seekers/Pages/PA-Residency-Information.aspx
"As a current student at a college, university, or technical school or as a member of the armed forces, you meet the requirements of Pennsylvania residency if you...are a student from another state who is currently residing at and enrolled in a Pennsylvania college, university, or technical school, and have a Pennsylvania mailing address."

I was mainly addressing the part of that comment that addressed the number of med students who are Pitt alums, not necessarily the IS/OOS ratio.

You can establish residency during school. People usually keep their former permanent address during college though.

http://www.scsc.pa.gov/Job-Seekers/Pages/PA-Residency-Information.aspx
"As a current student at a college, university, or technical school or as a member of the armed forces, you meet the requirements of Pennsylvania residency if you...are a student from another state who is currently residing at and enrolled in a Pennsylvania college, university, or technical school, and have a Pennsylvania mailing address."

I was mainly addressing the part of that comment that addressed the number of med students who are Pitt alums, not necessarily the IS/OOS ratio.
My portal changed to add "Please allow 8 weeks from interview date to receive final decision." I hope that's not bad :(

My portal changed to add "Please allow 8 weeks from interview date to receive final decision." I hope that's not bad :(

Maybe that just means that the people who interviewed in December won't necessarily hear back January 31. Is what I am thinking.

Maybe that just means that the people who interviewed in December won't necessarily hear back January 31. Is what I am thinking.
I interviewed oct 31 and have that status. Also I'm pretty sure everyone hears back on Jan 31