2016-2017 University of Utah Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can tell you that getting to the U from outside SLC on weekday mornings sucks.

Can confirm. Never underestimate UDOT's ability to make any commute a living hell lol

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
For some reason I thought that Utah said in the interview that they send out around 75% of acceptances on March 15th? Did I misunderstand? Or is this just not true of this year? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad :)
For some reason I thought that Utah said in the interview that they send out around 75% of acceptances on March 15th? Did I misunderstand? Or is this just not true of this year? Thanks :)
They send out about 160 acceptances for 120 spots. Around 70 have already been accepted into the Facebook group
So they didn't stick to that number.

Reactions: 1 user
They send out about 160 acceptances for 120 spots. Around 70 have already been accepted into the Facebook group
So they didn't stick to that number.

Gotcha, thanks. Are we sure that people accepted into the FB group are incoming students though? As others have mentioned, I am part of an accepted students group elsewhere with many MS2, MS3s etc. who have asked to join...

Gotcha, thanks. Are we sure that people accepted into the FB group are incoming students though? As others have mentioned, I am part of an accepted students group elsewhere with many MS2, MS3s etc. who have asked to join...
I'm not in it so I don't know.

I can tell you that getting to the U from outside SLC on weekday mornings sucks.
Are you specifically referring to driving into SLC, or does this also apply to taking FrontRunner/Trax from, let's say, Provo?

P.S. Love the "emotionally tortured Falcons fan" Sorry :/

Are you specifically referring to driving into SLC, or does this also apply to taking FrontRunner/Trax from, let's say, Provo?

Frontrunner/Trax from Provo wouldn't be fun for ya at all. It'd be at least an hour and a half commute one way. That'd be at least three hours everyday you went into school commuting. Can't recommend that in medical school. And while some people can, I have a very difficult time studying on trax, especially during the busy morning commute.

Frontrunner, Trax, and the buses are awesome and all (it's how I commute to work everyday), but they do take longer (sometimes significantly) than if you were to just drive.

I wonder if the committee meets on Tuesday's or something. Looking back on previous posts it looks like there has been a fair amount of acceptances that come on Wednesday. Or maybe it's just my neurotic mind wishing I would receive that phone call haha

I'm also curious about the fb number @LadyinSpain and @gertlush. Sorry to keep bugging you two specifically, by the way. It's just a stressful time.

No worries. There are 76 students in the group. I really don't think there are any current medical students in the group. The page is currently completely administered by the admissions office.

No worries. There are 76 students in the group. I really don't think there are any current medical students in the group. The page is currently completely administered by the admissions office.
Thank you for the update! You're a life saver.

Thanks! I would say we can all still hold out hope- even if 100 people have been accepted (24 more than the group, assuming 1/4 of accepted students didn't join which seems plausible) there are still 60 or so acceptances somewhere out there!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I would say we can all still hold out hope- even if 100 people have been accepted (24 more than the group, assuming 1/4 of accepted students didn't join which seems plausible) there are still 60 or so acceptances somewhere out there!
So you're saying there's a chance!? Haha. Yeah I agree, not all hope is lost yet!

Haha yeah worst game I've ever watched!

Driving for sure sucks, but having to ride from Provo on fruntrunner and then take the red line to the U is a hell of a long commute to be doing 3-5 times a week if not more (close to 1.5 hours one way). Not worth the stress of that added to being a medical student IMO.

I don't know if it's good or bad, but I can't log into my secondary... Can anyone else?

Just got the call from Dr. Chan! Ecstatic right now. I'm an Idaho resident and I think they had just finished up reviewing the Idaho candidates and will be making some more Idaho calls, but I'm not completely sure.

Reactions: 4 users
Dr. Chan will call me.

Movement today. 84 on fb group including admin. 99% positive it is only incoming class.

Reactions: 3 users
Just got the call from Dr. Chan! Ecstatic right now. I'm an Idaho resident and I think they had just finished up reviewing the Idaho candidates and will be making some more Idaho calls, but I'm not completely sure.
I think you got the call because you chose a plate of bacon for your profile.

Am I the only one who has been freaking out every day since March 1st? Also, every time I read "report post to moderator" I see it as "report post to mordor"

Better play nicely my friends or you'll get reported to Sauron himself!

Am I the only one who has been freaking out every day since March 1st? Also, every time I read "report post to moderator" I see it as "report post to mordor"

Better play nicely my friends or you'll get reported to Sauron himself!

I've been freaking out every day since I interviewed in September. Freaking out intensified after the first acceptance was reported here and has been growing ever since.

From the threads for the past 2 years it looks like rejections/waitlists will start to be sent out this Friday.

Can anyone verify that this is that case? Out of curiosity, how did you find out that they reviewed all Idaho candidates?

From the threads for the past 2 years it looks like rejections/waitlists will start to be sent out this Friday.

I saw that too, but because the 15th actually falls on a Wednesday, my guess is that more acceptances will go out Friday and the rejections/waitlists will go out next Wednesday but who knows?

I hate that I'm even conjecturing about this damn stuff though. At this point, I just want to know! I hate how you can apply in June and then can have to wait 9.5+ months to find out your decision. And if you didn't get in, good luck prepping for the next cycle in 2.5 months...

If I had a dime for every time over the past week I've anxiously checked this forum for any drop of news I wouldn't need to worry about the crushing burden of student loans.

Reactions: 7 users
Looks like nothing today.

Anyone OOS and didn't go to school in Utah get in yet? (I have literally no connection to Utah)....Also I emailed admissions and they said they will be finished sending out acceptances/rejections/waitlists by March 15.

Can anyone verify that this is that case? Out of curiosity, how did you find out that they reviewed all Idaho candidates?

When I was on the phone with Dr. Chan he said they had just wrapped up their Idaho meeting. I don't know if it was the last one for sure, but from the sound of it it sounded like they had at least reviewed most of the Idaho candidates.

When I was on the phone with Dr. Chan he said they had just wrapped up their Idaho meeting. I don't know if it was the last one for sure, but from the sound of it it sounded like they had at least reviewed most of the Idaho candidates.

Cool. I'm not an Idaho resident, but I used to be! I just want to know if they are done with Utah candidates. This waiting game is seriously the worrrrstttttt

Cool. I'm not an Idaho resident, but I used to be! I just want to know if they are done with Utah candidates. This waiting game is seriously the worrrrstttttt
I haven't gotten the call yet so it's safe to assume they aren't done with Utah residents.

Reactions: 2 users
Spoke with the admissions office earlier and was told everyone will know their answer by March 15 (next Wednesday). Any update on the fb group?

Spoke with the admissions office earlier and was told everyone will know their answer by March 15 (next Wednesday). Any update on the fb group?
Yes, like I said a couple comments back. I already emailed them last week.

I assume we're all awaiting wait-lists/rejections at this point.

How is everyone handling this uncertainty?

I'm handling it by working out 2x a day and then shadowing docs in fields that are interesting to me in my free time. GOTTA KEEP BUSY.

Hahahaha, good play on words. Though technically I think you should italicize the "this" not uncertainty.

Hahahaha, good play on words. Though technically I think you should italicize the "this" not uncertainty.
60250553.jpg

Anyone OOS and didn't go to school in Utah get in yet? (I have literally no connection to Utah)....Also I emailed admissions and they said they will be finished sending out acceptances/rejections/waitlists by March 15.
We've known since day one it would happen "by march 15th". They have to fill their class by then according to rules set by the aamc. It's definitely frustrating that they are waiting til the last possible minute to do it though...

The logistics of admitting applicants was stayed fairly explicitly in the interviews. The most pertinent information now, perhaps, is the amount of remaining spots in the accepted and waitlisted positions (provided the latter has a specific number of spots).

I think we could all agree the silence is fairly unsettling. Reviewing information, albeit redundant at times, helps deal with the madness IMO.

Did they send out any emails yet? I mean has anyone gotten a reject/waitlist email or have they only done acceptance calls?

You think so? I mean according to the Facebook group there is still just under half the seats available right? It seems like they should still have a pretty large cohort of IS students that haven't heard anything yet, but may hear next week.