2016-2017 University of Utah Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, everyone. I just wanted to thank the individuals who went out of their way to provide me with feedback regarding whether or not medical scribe experience qualifies as patient interaction/encounter. I did call the school and they said because of the extent of my involvement that they would allow it to qualify for their "minimum" expectation so that I can at least submit the secondary. However, they do want the experiences to involve a "hands-on" component for it to meet the "average." I hope this helps people who were in the same boat. I still would recommend calling the school to clarify your specific situation.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, everyone. I just wanted to thank the individuals who went out of their way to provide me with feedback regarding whether or not medical scribe experience qualifies as patient interaction/encounter. I did call the school and they said because of the extent of my involvement that they would allow it to qualify for their "minimum" expectation so that I can at least submit the secondary. However, they do want the experiences to involve a "hands-on" component for it to meet the "average." I hope this helps people who were in the same boat. I still would recommend calling the school to clarify your specific situation.
Glad you got that to work for you.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm finishing up my application and just realized that on the home page under "colleges attended" there is nothing listed. Did anyone else have this happen to them? I don't see a way to manually add this information in, and thought I'd check with you before calling tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm finishing up my application and just realized that on the home page under "colleges attended" there is nothing listed. Did anyone else have this happen to them? I don't see a way to manually add this information in, and thought I'd check with you before calling tomorrow.
Ya, same thing. I'm thinking it will be updated/filled in once they go through the application? I don't know though, if you call let me know what they say

I'm taking a bit more time with this essay. Hopefully submitting by the end of this month isn't too late. :(
"Applicants have 30 days from the date of our email requesting the materials. This date is reflected on the Secondary Forms Main Menu page. There are no exceptions." My portal says 8/28 so definitely do not want to wait too long.

Ya, same thing. I'm thinking it will be updated/filled in once they go through the application? I don't know though, if you call let me know what they say
I got this email this morning:
"We apologize for the confusion. We recently implemented a new website and unfortunately occasionally there are some glitches. Our system shows the college information you listed below as well as XXXXXXXXX.
I have forwarded your email to our Computer Support team so that they are able to resolve the problem.
As this time, you don’t need to do anything else."
Sounds like this is a common problem, but maybe one you should email them about if it doesn't resolve itself soon.

Reactions: 1 user
I just noticed the same thing.

So quick question about the secondary (I'm pre-writing mine b/c I'm waiting on my MCAT score, so even though I'm verified I haven't submitted my primary to the U just in case I bombed). I heard it's similar to the self-assessment on their website, and that you have to list your activities per year. Does anyone know if there's a word limit to those descriptions? Also, does anyone know if there's a way to see the secondary without actually having it be sent ? Thanks all!

So I've already graduated and I'm taking a gap year. I have one more pre-req course to take this 2016-2017 academic year, though, because they don't accept AP credit for social sciences. For the education part, should I put that I will be enrolled in courses even though it'll be just one and essentially all I'm doing is working full time?

Are people still waiting on secondaries? I was verified in middle/late july. Haven't heard a word. I know everyone who meets the requirements gets a secondary. Just wanted to make sure I am not the only one who hasn't heard anything. It sounds like they didn't even start sending them out until late July according to their Facebook page. Thanks!

Are people still waiting on secondaries? I was verified in middle/late july. Haven't heard a word. I know everyone who meets the requirements gets a secondary. Just wanted to make sure I am not the only one who hasn't heard anything. It sounds like they didn't even start sending them out until late July according to their Facebook page. Thanks!

I can't say for sure in your case but mine took a bit longer than at other schools. They did say that they are sending them out in batches this year (probably to avoid everyone crashing their system).

I had one schools secondary end up in my junk mail so check there. Also e mail the school if it has been a while because you only have 30 days once they do get it to you.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I just spoke with admissions and they said that they've been getting several calls asking if being a scribe qualifies as patient exposure, and they said that it would count.

I can't say for sure in your case but mine took a bit longer than at other schools. They did say that they are sending them out in batches this year (probably to avoid everyone crashing there system).

I had one schools secondary end up in my junk mail so check there. Also e mail the school if it has been a while because you only have 30 days once they do get it to you.
Thank so much! I called and evidently they sent it to me a week or so ago, and I just never got it. I would have been very upset if I had been waiting and then missed the deadline so thank you thank you thank you!

I just spoke with admissions and they said that they've been getting several calls asking if being a scribe qualifies as patient exposure, and they said that it would count.

Thank you for going out of your way to give me the heads up. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
Are you still waiting? I submitted my AMCAS on July 30th and got the secondary tip sheet own 8/16 but haven't received an actual secondary yet. OOS Applicant

Are you still waiting? I submitted my AMCAS on July 30th and got the secondary tip sheet own 8/16 but haven't received an actual secondary yet. OOS Applicant

I was in the same situation, I called the office of admissions today and they said they have been having a lot of problems with people not receiving secondaries that have been "sent." They said I should have gotten one a while ago and re-sent the email to me after I called...so call tomorrow and straighten it out, they were very understanding about the whole thing.

Hello, everyone. Thanks for the advice given so far. I am a re-applicant this cycle and am curious if anyone else is in this position. I'm currently waiting on an MCAT score and was hoping that anyone who is also reapplying could direct me to any other possible prompts that I need prepared so that I can submit my secondary as soon as possible. I remember last year there were a couple prompts that I vaguely remember being about a re-applicant and even another that had something to do with what you'd do if you don't plan on taking classes this fall and spring (I'm done with school).

Would appreciate anything else that I might need to prepare for, and the character allowances for each. Thanks!

I'm not a reapplicant, but there's a tab on the side of the secondary for reapplicants that I'm still able to see. If you are reapplying, there is a space that says "Changes since last application (if applicable) with a 5oo character limit.

Also, under the education tab, there is a question that asks you if you will be enrolled in classes in the 2016-2017 school year. If you aren't, again there is a space that says "Explanation of non-enrollment (if applicable)" with a 500 character limit.

You will also have to enter in most of your AMCAS activities again with explanations of 300 character limit.

This is all I'm seeing, other than the main prompt of course. I believe it's already been posted earlier, but it's not at the top of the thread, so I'll post it again here to get it up at the top.

"How would you navigate uncertainty from the perspectives of either a patient, a physician, or medicine?" (2650 characters)
@WedgeDawg

Hope that helps, good luck with your reapplication!

I'm not a reapplicant, but there's a tab on the side of the secondary for reapplicants that I'm still able to see. If you are reapplying, there is a space that says "Changes since last application (if applicable) with a 5oo character limit.

Also, under the education tab, there is a question that asks you if you will be enrolled in classes in the 2016-2017 school year. If you aren't, again there is a space that says "Explanation of non-enrollment (if applicable)" with a 500 character limit.

You will also have to enter in most of your AMCAS activities again with explanations of 300 character limit.

This is all I'm seeing, other than the main prompt of course. I believe it's already been posted earlier, but it's not at the top of the thread, so I'll post it again here to get it up at the top.

Great, thank you.

Also just as a heads up to anyone that hasn't submitted their secondary yet (like me), I was just working on mine and noticed that in the descriptions for volunteering, leadership, etc. it will let you save the description even if you are over the 300 character limit that it says to stay under. Not sure if it will let you submit the app if you're over on any, and honestly adcoms probably wouldn't even care/notice if you were by a bit, but I went back and edited all of mine to get under the 300 characters just to be safe.

This may be a dumb concern, but I paid my app fee last night, and send my LORs last night too. I'm still working on my app and its due in 5 days. Do you guys think they will process the fee and download my letters successfully within 4 days? I hope I didnt shoot myself in the foot

Current MS1 here. Happy to answer any questions about application, interview, curriculum etc.

I'm sure you have figured this out by now. But they are pretty fast updating that info. As long as you submit everything before your deadline I think you should be fine
This may be a dumb concern, but I paid my app fee last night, and send my LORs last night too. I'm still working on my app and its due in 5 days. Do you guys think they will process the fee and download my letters successfully within 4 days? I hope I didnt shoot myself in the foot

Current MS1 here. Happy to answer any questions about application, interview, curriculum etc.

Does Utah have mandatory attendance? How is a general day or week for an MS1 laid out?

Does Utah have mandatory attendance? How is a general day or week for an MS1 laid out?

Not anymore they don't...slightly jealous of the lower classes now haha :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Ya no mandatory attendance anymore! As an MS1 you have lecture from 1-5 Mon, Tues, Thurs, and then 1-3 on Friday. These classes consist of basic science classes, or an overview of your undergrad classes just accelerated and more in depth. Every Wednesday morning you have anatomy lab from 8-12 and then from 1-5 you have clinical skills lab. Every two weeks on Friday from 10-12 is a class called layers of medicine where you learn the ethics of medicine. This class is mostly discussion based with a few assignments due. Every Friday from 3-5 you have case based learning where you get in small groups and answer a bunch of questions about patient cases.

Is this what a completed portal says? this means all my materials are in right.... I didnt get a complete email. Its due in an hour. Yikes.
upload_2016-9-2_21-53-26.png

Is this what a completed portal says? this means all my materials are in right.... I didnt get a complete email. Its due in an hour. Yikes. View attachment 208707
I received a "Thank you for completing your secondary materials..." Email. But if you have turned everything in I think you are okay and they would enter it in when they can.

Hello!

I just submitted my AMCAS yesterday and I'm waiting for it to be reviewed in terms of transcripts and stuff. I was just checking to see if anybody has posted the prompt for the secondary application just in case I was emailed to complete one.

Good luck to everyone!!

Hey @Chemist1986, the secondary prompt is on the first post of this thread!

Hey @Chemist1986, the secondary prompt is on the first post of this thread!
Thank you so much!

Anybody else applying for the MD/PhD?

I'm kind of OOS, but not really. I'm from Utah and graduated from a Utah high school, but did my Bachelors and Masters in Florida so this is my legal residence now. I'm wanting to move back home for medical school and I think I still get in-state preference and just get charged out of state tuition.

Anyone else in this situation?

Thank you so much!

I'm kind of OOS, but not really. I'm from Utah and graduated from a Utah high school, but did my Bachelors and Masters in Florida so this is my legal residence now. I'm wanting to move back home for medical school and I think I still get in-state preference and just get charged out of state tuition.

I'm not in your situation but I think you are right in getting counted as in state.

Thank you so much!

I'm sorry to say my friend (I'm in the same situation) that you are not considered in-state for admissions or tuition purposes. I actually called about this little tidbit of information. What happens instead is that you compete for about 15 slots that are reserved for people who either graduated from high school, and or college in Utah. Here's the link just in case you want proof.

http://medicine.utah.edu/students/programs/md/admissions/residency-non-residency.php

Best of luck anyway.

II by email! Scheduled for the 12th... as in... Monday! Whoa!

They only offered the 12th and the 16th, more dates are available as they fill up, but I just jumped on day 1! Super excited!

They only offered the 12th and the 16th, more dates are available as they fill up, but I just jumped on day 1! Super excited!
Congrats!! Were you early decision or a regular applicant?

+1

I'm sorry to say my friend (I'm in the same situation) that you are not considered in-state for admissions or tuition purposes. I actually called about this little tidbit of information. What happens instead is that you compete for about 15 slots that are reserved for people who either graduated from high school, and or college in Utah. Here's the link just in case you want proof.

http://medicine.utah.edu/students/programs/md/admissions/residency-non-residency.php

Best of luck anyway.
Competing for 15 spots designated for people just like you isn't that bad! I'm applying to the MD/PhD too so I don't know if that changes the situation any.

Anyone know if interviews are handed out in any sort of preferential order or the number of seats filled by the early decision program by chance?

I know I'm late in the game to submit my secondary, but I was wondering what everyone was writing for the physician shadowing... Under "specialty," it looks like we are given the option to discuss our experience a little bit. Has everyone just been giving the specialty and moving on, or have people been giving a <300 character description of the experience?

I know I'm late in the game to submit my secondary, but I was wondering what everyone was writing for the physician shadowing... Under "specialty," it looks like we are given the option to discuss our experience a little bit. Has everyone just been giving the specialty and moving on, or have people been giving a <300 character description of the experience?

Since it only says 'specialty' I wouldn't take that as an opportunity to take advantage of the character count. It might appear like you're being a little too cute.

I saw some interviewees around school on Monday and today. What did you guys think of our fine school? Any questions that you had come up from your interview day that you didn't get to ask?

Last edited:
I saw some interviewees around school on Monday and today. What did you guys think of our fine school? Any questions that you had come up from your interview day that you didn't get to ask?

I haven't had an interview yet, but do you have any tips to help prepare for the actual interview? I have some mock interviews scheduled, but I'm not sure if there is anything else that I should be focusing on to help me prepare. Thanks!