2016-2017 University of Utah Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I haven't had an interview yet, but do you have any tips to help prepare for the actual interview? I have some mock interviews scheduled, but I'm not sure if there is anything else that I should be focusing on to help me prepare. Thanks!

If it's the same format as last year then you will have two half hour interviews, each with one faculty member as well as an MMI (Multiple Mini Interview) series. For the two one on one interviews, be sure you know your application well. I would read over your personal statement the day before as well as skim through your AMCAS activity essays. You will likely be asked to talk about what you did in those activities and what you learned.

The other half of interviewing is done in the form of MMI's (at least it was last year.) In the MMI's, you'll have several stations (we had 6) where you will be given a situation or discussion prompt that you will discuss with an interviewer for almost 10 minutes. I learned about a website last year that I feel helped me get a good idea of how to prepare for MMI questions. I would go to this website each day and read one or two scenarios and answer them aloud as though I was in an interview right then. Then I would look up the "answer" that the website gave. Here is that website:

https://depts.washington.edu/bioethx/topics/

Finally, have fun on interview day!! I found that there are some really cool people you'll meet on interview day, and if you are traveling to interviews out of state/in a place you've never been, enjoy the trip and get a bite to eat at a local place if you're staying over night. I know interviews can be stressful, but don't forget to enjoy yourself a bit as well and make this a great experience! Good luck this application season, and please feel free to ask any other questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
II just now. In state, complete ~8/20. Dates offered were Mondays and Fridays through October 3rd.

II OOS, Complete end of July. Same dates offered as above. Don't have an especially high Lizzy M, so they definitely take extracurriculars into vast consideration here. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
II here recently, IS

Dates available range from 10/7 to 10/17

II today. Complete ~8/20. In State. LizzyM 75.

II today!! OOS, graduated college in Utah

Have any Idaho applicants received notifications or interview invites yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't heard anything yet...wondering the same thing

All I can tell you is that I believe they plan to interview 40 applicants from Idaho for the 10 spots (2 of those spots for people that graduated in Utah) and plan to do the same ratio for all of their spots so 340 for the 85 in-state spots, 60 interviewed for the 15 spots for out of state people that graduated from a Utah college or high school, and then 60 for the 15 out of state spots.

Hey all-
Here's some news to get excited about/discuss during your interview at The U:

http://healthcare.utah.edu/publicaffairs/news/2016/09/vizient_award.php

Once again The UU Health Care system has been ranked in the Top 10 national health care systems for quality and accountability, this year taking the number one spot AGAIN (something we did a couple of years ago.) Dr. Vivian Lee, Dean of the School of Medicine, has been a national leader in transparency in healthcare, and that has really helped the UU Healthcare System achieve such consistently high marks.

As you contemplate where you might go to school next year, don't forget to picture yourself in your ELO's, physician shadowing, and 3rd and 4th year clerkships in the nation's #1 system of hospitals and clinics.

Reactions: 1 users
I was denied a secondary application because my undergraduate GPA was below a 3.0 but my Masters GPA was above a 3.5. I also had a 507 on the MCAT.

I guess I wasn't meant to move back home for medical school...
Good luck to everyone!

I'm an Idaho resident and haven't heard anything either. My guess is that they interview their Idaho residents similar to how University of Washington does with their WWAMI states, interviewing each states' residents over a week or two period so they can compare those residents with each other since they are competing for that state's spots. So, I'm guessing UUSOM interviews Idaho residents around the same time so they can compare the Idaho applicants to just each other rather than sorting out from a large group of Idaho residents and non-residents.

I'm an Idaho resident and haven't heard anything either. My guess is that they interview their Idaho residents similar to how University of Washington does with their WWAMI states, interviewing each states' residents over a week or two period so they can compare those residents with each other since they are competing for that state's spots. So, I'm guessing UUSOM interviews Idaho residents around the same time so they can compare the Idaho applicants to just each other rather than sorting out from a large group of Idaho residents and non-residents.
Last year they interviewed Idaho residents with other applicants. This year seems different.

Last edited:
II today! OOS, secondary submitted 8/11

When you log into the application portal after having an interview. Does anyone else have a button there that says Acceptance Materials? I clicked on it and the web page didn't work but just curious if this was a mistake or it means something.

I am an Idaho resident and for the last many years, they were all interviewed with everyone else. In MY class, all I know is that we all heard we were in at different times. They didn't wait till all the Idaho ppl were interviewed to offer acceptances. Things may have changed.

Additionally, I was not aware that 2 of the seats were for Idaho ppl who graduated from Utah. I am skeptical that this is true, since the state of Idaho funds these seats (i.e. Utah doesn't just offer them out of the goodness of their heart) so I doubt the state of Idaho would like it if there were stipulations on the Idaho residents (such as having to have graduated from a Utah college).

I am an Idaho resident and for the last many years, they were all interviewed with everyone else. In MY class, all I know is that we all heard we were in at different times. They didn't wait till all the Idaho ppl were interviewed to offer acceptances. Things may have changed.

Additionally, I was not aware that 2 of the seats were for Idaho ppl who graduated from Utah. I am skeptical that this is true, since the state of Idaho funds these seats (i.e. Utah doesn't just offer them out of the goodness of their heart) so I doubt the state of Idaho would like it if there were stipulations on the Idaho residents (such as having to have graduated from a Utah college).

The Utah-Idaho agreement is NOTHING like WWAMI. So just keep that in mind.

Edit: Didn't mean to reply to my own post! Sorry!

When you log into the application portal after having an interview. Does anyone else have a button there that says Acceptance Materials? I clicked on it and the web page didn't work but just curious if this was a mistake or it means something.

I don't have it, but my primary application still says it's pending review even though my assessment is complete. Their portal has been super buggy this cycle. I hope the best for you, but I wouldn't put a lot of stock in it, especially since they don't start accepting people for about another month.

Ya I'm not. I know of someone else whose said the same.

Hey everyone. Can anybody who has gone through the interview give some tips about the moral and ethical problem exam? Thanks!

Hey everyone. Can anybody who has gone through the interview give some tips about the moral and ethical problem exam? Thanks!

Honestly, my biggest tip would be to not worry about it. It is pretty common sense stuff, with plenty of time to complete. And more than anything, no one ever gets feedback on it so it is difficult to say what works and what does not. But when all is said and done, it is a pretty small part of the entire process as the entire interview day is 30% of your admission score and I have to imagine that the exam is a very small portion of that 30%

I don't think that there is really any preparing you can do for it. Just remember the patient comes first.

I am an Idaho applicant and have not heard back. I also submitted my secondary late - September 8th (LizzyM 71.8)

From the admissions Facebook page "Congratulations to the first few acceptances that were sent out this week for the Class of 2021. We also had a handful of #EDP (Early Decision Program) applicants who were accepted at the end of September. This is turning out to be a fantastic class already! #Lookingformore - Dr. Chan"

From the admissions Facebook page "Congratulations to the first few acceptances that were sent out this week for the Class of 2021. We also had a handful of #EDP (Early Decision Program) applicants who were accepted at the end of September. This is turning out to be a fantastic class already! #Lookingformore - Dr. Chan"
So were those normal acceptances?

So were those normal acceptances?
That's what it sounds like to me. I don't have any more info than this post. They could be md/PhD or just normal MD. No idea.

Two questions:

1) Is anyone out there applying to the U a veteran or currently on active duty and have any opinions on the schools application process and military service? Aside from the information on their website I am more looking for personal opinions or stories about how the U counted your service as points toward acceptance..

2) What is the lowest GPA anyone has gotten a secondary? I saw some posts of people with 3.0 not getting a secondary but I am curious what the cut off is.

Thanks for the info.

Two questions:

1) Is anyone out there applying to the U a veteran or currently on active duty and have any opinions on the schools application process and military service? Aside from the information on their website I am more looking for personal opinions or stories about how the U counted your service as points toward acceptance..

2) What is the lowest GPA anyone has gotten a secondary? I saw some posts of people with 3.0 not getting a secondary but I am curious what the cut off is.

Thanks for the info.
I'm not sure about veterans or military service, but I do know that the GPA cutoff is a 3.2 for both science and overall.

Two questions:

Thanks for the info.

From their website:

Grade Point Average (GPA)
The minimum acceptable GPA is 3.2. Applicants with a science, non-science, or overall GPA below 3.2 will not be considered. The average GPA is approximately 3.6 in science, non-science, and overall. All grades received for college credit are included in the AMCAS GPA calculation. If a course is repeated, both grades received for that course are calculated into the GPA.

To determine average criteria, the applicant's GPA is compared to the average GPA of students who have gone on to attend medical school from the applicant's undergraduate institution.

Last edited:
So scrolling through the board, it looks like people were projecting about 60 interview spots for the 15 OOS Utah Grads. I'm guessing those are all filled?

I was a product of the computer glitch, they told me they sent my secondary on August 2 but I had absolutely no communication from them until October when they were about to close my application. Worked with them, submitted the secondary immediately, but I just feel like it was way too late to get a competitive look for so few interview spots.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So my completed secondary has been marked "Complete-Pending Review" for over a month now.

This weekend it got marked to just, "Complete"

I haven't received an email from them yet. Is this indicative of anything? Does the portal change for a reject/II?

-Idaho Resident -

So scrolling through the board, it looks like people were projecting about 60 interview spots for the 15 OOS Utah Grads. I'm guessing those are all filled?

I was a product of the computer glitch, they told me they sent my secondary on August 2 but I had absolutely no communication from them until October when they were about to close my application. Worked with them, submitted the secondary immediately, but I just feel like it was way too late to get a competitive look for so few interview spots.

Dr. Chan stressed that they try to look at applicants who submit throughout the cycle as evenly as possible. He said that true rolling admissions could be considered unethical because schools still accept secondary money without giving the applicant a fair chance. The U is on a semi-rolling admissions schedule. I think only 25% of applicants find out whether or not they are accepted before March. N=1, but my good friend got in to their MD/PhD program last year and applied at the end of October.

So my completed secondary has been marked "Complete-Pending Review" for over a month now.

I haven't received an email from them yet. Is this indicative of anything? Does the portal change for a reject/II?

-Idaho Resident -

Same thing happened to me. Idaho resident, submitted really early (August 1st) and it said "Complete-Pending Review" the whole time until this past weekend when it got marked "Complete". I'm not sure if it means anything, except that they are probably processing all the Idaho Resident applications at the same time and will start doing rejections or invites for Idaho residents soon.

Same thing happened to me. Idaho resident, submitted really early (August 1st) and it said "Complete-Pending Review" the whole time until this past weekend when it got marked "Complete". I'm not sure if it means anything, except that they are probably processing all the Idaho Resident applications at the same time and will start doing rejections or invites for Idaho residents soon.
same but I am not an Idaho resident, or Utah

-Idaho Resident -
This happened to both my friend and me as well over the weekend (We're both UT residents). We applied mid-September, and we were also wondering if it means anything. Maybe it just means someone read our applications? Not sure.

Dr. Chan stressed that they try to look at applicants who submit throughout the cycle as evenly as possible. He said that true rolling admissions could be considered unethical because schools still accept secondary money without giving the applicant a fair chance. The U is on a semi-rolling admissions schedule. I think only 25% of applicants find out whether or not they are accepted before March. N=1, but my good friend got in to their MD/PhD program last year and applied at the end of October.

Thank you! I appreciate that feedback and hearing what Dr. Chan has said.

I am a UT resident and interviewed last month and mine changed from "complete-pending review" to "complete" today as well.

I am a UT resident and interviewed last month and mine changed from "complete-pending review" to "complete" today as well.
Oh dang. I was secretly hoping that maybe it meant interview invite. :-(. That's really good to know though!

II today! I was complete early September. Female, utah resident. Re-applicant. Masters of Science degree. 30 mcat. 3.2 science. 3.45 overall. 4.0 graduate gpa.

I'm an Idaho resident. I completed my secondary on Sept. 1 and got an interview invite today.

Reactions: 1 users
Got an email that said Utah Admissions and got super nervous. When I opened it though it was just a survey. Needless to say I was a little disappointed.

Reactions: 2 users