2017-2018 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was taken off of the waitlist two days ago and I sent my withdrawal today. Good luck to all of you

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
At this point, it would just help to know how many people are on the waitlist to at least have a slightly better idea of how likely it is to be pulled off..

Reactions: 1 user
At this point, it would just help to know how many people are on the waitlist to at least have a slightly better idea of how likely it is to be pulled off..

Yeah me too. Especially since I’ve been accepted to a SMP that starts before ARCOM’s orientation. Like I said I’ve tried multiple times asking how many people are on the waitlist with no direct numerical response.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you all complete your CB ?

Last edited:
I'm done with all except my last HepB shot and blood titer which are due for October, so I will be starting school without it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile
Thats great, for my situation, l don't get response from school yet. l want to know how they want me to do

did anyone else get the waitlist email earlier in the week?

Members don't see this ad :)
Have people who are moving to the Residents decided what date they will be moving in?

We can't move until they give us a move in date. So we can't really decide yet. I'm guessing it'll be around July 15th or so.

I called the Residents and they just asked me when I wanted to move in within the 2 week frame. I said I would be coming the 25th.
I would suggest calling to set a date :)

I called the Residents and they just asked me when I wanted to move in within the 2 week frame. I said I would be coming the 25th.
Ok, I'll try calling them.

How strict are they on the DO letter requirement? anyone got through with a MD letter?

How strict are they on the DO letter requirement? anyone got through with a MD letter?
No, it's absolutely required and can't be replaced by a MD. But if you don't have one early, you may still get interviewed, but you'll have to submit one before they make a decision.

No, it's absolutely required and can't be replaced by a MD. But if you don't have one early, you may still get interviewed, but you'll have to submit one before they make a decision.

So you can still fill out the secondary and get the interview without a DO letter? I don't have a DO letter now, but might have one later in the cycle. I wonder whether I should just be complete for the time being or submit my primary when I secure the DO letter.

This. On my interview day they made clear if you dont have a DO letter after your interview your app will be on hold till it comes in

So you can still fill out the secondary and get the interview without a DO letter? I don't have a DO letter now, but might have one later in the cycle. I wonder whether I should just be complete for the time being or submit my primary when I secure the DO letter.
Yes

Yes, you can complete your primary (and secondary) and submit a DO letter later.

Last edited:
Correct. I didn't initially have my DO letter when I received I interviewed and they would not make a decision on my application until I submitted the letter. I went ahead and submitted their application in the first place because their secondary was very quick and easy and figured I would worry about the DO letter if I even got an interview from them. Well, they were pretty quick and they were the first ones to send me an II lol I was initially waitlisted after I turned in the letter but that's because I applied late (Dec/Jan) and they seemed to have already filled their class until the MD and DO acceptance days in May. So yeah, you should be fine submitting now and securing DO letter later

Last edited:

I would submit the application and make sure you get the DO letter turned in asap as well. Otherwise your application will be on hold until the letter is sent in. Personally, I think it would be helpful for you to submit the DO letter before you get interviewed because that gives you a chance to discuss your DO shadowing experience at the interview and show why you are interested in becoming a DO.

So, I just called at the Residents, and I now have a move in date (July 20th). Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:

So it's strict in that you have to have a DO letter, but I'm not sure that the quality matters so much depending on the rest of your application. When I was applying to the HPSP, I got a LOR from an Army physician that I hadn't actually met in person before (he was deployed in Afghanistan at the time). Thankfully he also happened to be a DO so I was able to submit his letter to meet that requirement for ARCOM. It was a decent letter but definitely not the strongest since it mentioned that we had only been communicating via email. I had really strong letters otherwise, which probably made up for it though.

So it's strict in that you have to have a DO letter, but I'm not sure that the quality matters so much depending on the rest of your application. When I was applying to the HPSP, I got a LOR from an Army physician that I hadn't actually met in person before (he was deployed in Afghanistan at the time). Thankfully he also happened to be a DO so I was able to submit his letter to meet that requirement for ARCOM. It was a decent letter but definitely not the strongest since it mentioned that we had only been communicating via email. I had really strong letters otherwise, which probably made up for it though.
ok? why would you want a weak letter though? Also the OP asked if it was strict in the fact that you had to have one not if you had to have a good one because id imagine everyone wants a good LOR. Not sure why you mentioned me.

So, I just called at the Residents, and I now have a move in date (July 20th). Thanks for the suggestion.

Awesome! Glad it worked out :) It feels so much better to have a date finalized to move in!

ok? why would you want a weak letter though? Also the OP asked if it was strict in the fact that you had to have one not if you had to have a good one because id imagine everyone wants a good LOR. Not sure why you mentioned me.

Meant to quote OP, my bad. Sooo sorry to have bothered you.

I'm not recommending to purposely get a weak letter. However, at this point I couldn't see how OP would get a strong DO letter if they weren't already shadowing a DO. I was just making sure that they weren't discouraged from applying if they didn't already have connections since (for me anyways) it was just a box to check.

I'm not recommending to purposely get a weak letter. However, at this point I couldn't see how OP would get a strong DO letter if they weren't already shadowing a DO. I was just making sure that they weren't discouraged from applying if they didn't already have connections since (for me anyways) it was just a box to check.
all good

I spent a couple weeks over the summer with a DO, got a great letter. Remember that the DO cycle runs later than MD and submitting primary by Thanksgiving is no issue

Physician letters are never strong anyway unless you've only shadowed or worked with that said physician for months or years. That's why for MD schools it's not recommended to send physician letters unless they know your academic strength and weaknesses really well. IMO, I think DO schools ask for physician letters only to gauge your understanding of the difference and similarity between DO and MD, your science background as per the physician, your social skills and interaction also as per the physician, and your willingness to embrace the osteopathic principles. My DO letter came from someone who barely knows me, and that I had only shadowed for a few days in late September last year before submitting my app.

Please let Beverly at the Residents (479-478-6788) know if you have a deposit down on an apartment and will not be attending ARCOM in the Fall or are planning on living somewhere else. Any current students living at the Residents not renewing their lease this Fall? I believe that a 30-day notice is required.

There's currently a wait list for apartments.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Any waitlist movement anytime recently? Haven’t seen anyone post about an acceptance in quite a while. Also has anyone spoken to admissions recently about if the class is full and how long the waitlist is at this point?

Any waitlist movement anytime recently? Haven’t seen anyone post about an acceptance in quite a while. Also has anyone spoken to admissions recently about if the class is full and how long the waitlist is at this point?
was wondering the same.

Yes, I think so. There has been quite a few additions to the FB page in the last couple weeks. We are up to about 214 members. I'm estimating that we have 5-10 spots left.

East coast female with 511 mcat and 3.3cgpa/3.17 sgpa. Recieved the call this afternoon but did not take the acceptance because I was recently accepted off the waitlist to my reach school. Good luck to all those still waiting!

Thanks for posting and congrats on your other acceptance!

Spoke to admissions about something else and this. They still have seats and not full, but they wouldn't tell me how many people on the WL or how many seats open.

I just wanna know because I am a strong candidate (who applied LATE from retaking the MCAT in Jan Learn from my mistake, don't do it! ;)).

My re-application primary is ready to submit but I don't want to spend $1000+ if I have a shot at starting school this fall. Because that money I could be using towards my deposit at ARCOM.

Spoke to admissions about something else and this. They still have seats and not full, but they wouldn't tell me how many people on the WL or how many seats open.

I just wanna know because I am a strong candidate (who applied LATE from retaking the MCAT in Jan Learn from my mistake, don't do it! ;)).

My re-application primary is ready to submit but I don't want to spend $1000+ if I have a shot at starting school this fall. Because that money I could be using towards my deposit at ARCOM.
Don't send in your primaries till like August or September. For the DO cycle, even early November is still pretty early to submit your app.

I spoke to admissions recently as well and also had not luck getting information about how many people were on the waitlist. Only info I got was that the waitlist is “extensive”. Seems to me that they really don’t want it public knowledge how many people are on it and how fast they are moving through it. I can’t decide if that’s a sign that they pretty much waitlisted everyone they interviewed and don’t want that known, or if it’s a sign that they are might move through close to the entire waitlist and don’t want that known. Or maybe it means nothing and they just think it’s easier to not give students that informaion

Most schools also wont consider that MCAT

East coast female with 511 mcat and 3.3cgpa/3.17 sgpa. Recieved the call this afternoon but did not take the acceptance because I was recently accepted off the waitlist to my reach school. Good luck to all those still waiting!
When did you interview?

1st week of february
Thanks and also, Congrats!

My theory is that it is legitimately going by interview dates. It seems like people pulled off the list have been so sequentially. Seems like a weird way to do it but I dunno, just throwing that out there.

Thanks and also, Congrats!

My theory is that it is legitimately going by interview dates. It seems like people pulled off the list have been so sequentially. Seems like a weird way to do it but I dunno, just throwing that out there.
I seriously doubt it. Correlation does not imply causation especially when your sample is self selected.