2017-2018 California University of Science and Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are your concerns about the program?
Honestly, pretty much the same concerns that you’ve said you have. Main one being that the specialties I’m most interested in are competitive, and I feel there’s a good chance graduating from here would limit residency options. Additional concern is that most faculty’s only previous teaching experience seems to be at California northstate, also a brand new school. I know some have had ample experience teaching before at established US allopathic schools, but most have not.

In addition I feel optimistic that I will be more successful reapplying this year, and the extra year taken to attend an established school will be well worth it if it means I will not be limited in specialty/residency options.

This is just my personal thoughts, people may disagree and I may be wrong. Also, again, it is just too far away for a place and school I didn’t reallllly love

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I just got an interview!! Very surprised as I'm completely under their MCAT range and also excited to go to California for the first time! Submitted 3/8. From North East with LM 68-69.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II for me too! LM 66-70, in state, ultra nontrad.

Reactions: 7 users
Got an II as well, but am having trouble logging in to the portal to schedule :nailbiting:
Hey! I am having trouble logging in as well, how did you resolve it? I just emailed them now letting them know I was having trouble.

This was in my portal. Do you guys think the "Interview Eval Completed" means anything more than just that I was already interviewed? My interview day was April 9th.
Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 10.45.52 AM.png

Fyi, I logged into the interview calendar last night and saw 7 slots left for 4/23 and 16 slots for 5/4, and no other dates. I don't know if that means there aren't any more interview dates after that, or if those are just the two dates they wanted me to choose from.

Fyi, I logged into the interview calendar last night and saw 7 slots left for 4/23 and 16 slots for 5/4, and no other dates. I don't know if that means there aren't any more interview dates after that, or if those are just the two dates they wanted me to choose from.

I've heard they planned for 8 weeks of interviews, which would have them wrapping up on 18 May.

Any chance you might be able to share a URL for the portal? Applicants who were processed earlier in their cycle did not receive a link and I'm curious to see if there's a way for us to access the portal.

Hey, from what I've noticed, they're adding interview slots accordingly. When I got my invite and checked portal there were only 3 spots left for 4/20. No other dates. I couldn't make it that day because I have my MCAT the next day. So I waited till the next day to check the portal, and in the afternoon there were 0 spots for 4/20 and 21 spots for 4/23 & 5/4!

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard they planned for 8 weeks of interviews, which would have them wrapping up on 18 May.

Any chance you might be able to share a URL for the portal? Applicants who were processed earlier in their cycle did not receive a link and I'm curious to see if there's a way for us to access the portal.
Sure - from my II email:
"To schedule your interview, please go to CUSM Prod DB v.3.80.0 and create a username and password by clicking the First Time User tab. Then, click New Applicant. Enter your first name, last name, email, and AAMC ID and click Create Account to receive an email containing instructions on how to set up your username and password. When your username and password is created, you can log in to CUSM Prod DB v.3.80.0. Select Interviews under the Admissions tab to select your interview day. You can also reschedule and cancel your interview through the portal."

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just created an account on the portal, thanks @jazzmetal ! I've already interviewed but it does say I'm missing 2 transcripts and that they need them to process my app, not sure if anyone else who already interviewed have that under admissions status tab? I'll probably call them tomorrow to ask about that.

Just created an account on the portal, thanks @jazzmetal ! I've already interviewed but it does say I'm missing 2 transcripts and that they need them to process my app, not sure if anyone else who already interviewed have that under admissions status tab? I'll probably call them tomorrow to ask about that.
Glad it worked! For what it's worth, mine says I'm missing my transcripts too so I'd be curious if they'll need them before making a decision. I was thinking it was just a placeholder for later...

Any tips on the interview? When were you there? I'm going to re-read the thread and I'm sure you've already posted your thoughts, but feel free to say more. :)

I created an account too on the portal. Under the admissions status tab I'm just missing my transcripts as well. No interview decisions or anything of that sort posted.

Glad it worked! For what it's worth, mine says I'm missing my transcripts too so I'd be curious if they'll need them before making a decision. I was thinking it was just a placeholder for later...

Any tips on the interview? When were you there? I'm going to re-read the thread and I'm sure you've already posted your thoughts, but feel free to say more. :)
I was there on 3/30 and don't think I posted my thoughts bc they're similar to what other ppl have posted. I like how all the facilities are new in the temporary building but disappointed that the inaugural class will probably never get to use the new building next to ARMC that they haven't started building yet. Not a huge deal for me and for me, no other negatives. Also very excited about the active learning curriculum and have always wanted to move to California! Tbh it's definitely been an exhausting and disappointing cycle as I'm on a bunch of wait lists so Calmed is definitely my top choice if I get an outright acceptance :D

Interview was conversational for me and he had my app printed in front of him with things circled that he wanted to talk about, so just re-read your amcas app a few times but it may differ between interviewers. R u interviewing there soon? If so, good luck!

Thank you for the link, mine also shows that my transcripts are missing.

My interview seemed to be cut short - I think I was only in there for about 20 minutes. They're still working out their interview day schedule it seems. I was instructed to bring a pen and notepad, however both were supplied so I wouldn't bring those. I also left my phone in the car and had to retrieve it in order to complete the two-factor authentication for signing into Gmail, which was necessary for the personality questionnaire.

I would be interested to see how the lab facilities are moving along.

Interview was conversational for me and he had my app printed in front of him with things circled that he wanted to talk about, so just re-read your amcas app a few times but it may differ between interviewers. R u interviewing there soon? If so, good luck!
Awesome intel, thanks! Yes, I'm set for Monday 4/23. :)

Thank you for the link, mine also shows that my transcripts are missing.

My interview seemed to be cut short - I think I was only in there for about 20 minutes. They're still working out their interview day schedule it seems. I was instructed to bring a pen and notepad, however both were supplied so I wouldn't bring those. I also left my phone in the car and had to retrieve it in order to complete the two-factor authentication for signing into Gmail, which was necessary for the personality questionnaire.

I would be interested to see how the lab facilities are moving along.
Ok cool, I'll bring my phone but forego the pen and notepad, thanks! And I'll post an update on the lab facilities.

think we will be notified prior to the end of the month on our status?

Literally gonna die of anxiety if they don't, so CalMed, please save a life here!

what is their incentive to notify us prior to 4/30?

Ideally CUSM would want to accept people before the massive wave of waitlist movement occurs. If someone gets into CUSM as their first acceptance before their many other waitlists then they are more likely to go there, as opposed to someone getting off their waitlist at a more established school before receiving their CUSM acceptance.

Essentially they want to be giving acceptances out before people get pulled off their waitlists, especially since they are a new school. I'm assuming a lot of the applicants here are on several waitlists or they wouldn't be applying this late.

But yeah CUSM may not even care about this and I don't know how much it will affect their yield. It might not have that substantive of an effect in the end (people will go where they want regardless of when they get accepted).

Last edited:
This was in my portal. Do you guys think the "Interview Eval Completed" means anything more than just that I was already interviewed? My interview day was April 9th.
View attachment 232005

I interviewed on 4/9 as well but my portal does not say that my interview eval has been completed. Maybe my interviewer hasn’t submitted yet?

Lol I interviewed 4/6 and it says I’ve yet to be selected for an interview lmao.

For those that have scheduled their interviews:
Does the portal still say "You are invited to schedule an on-site interview" even if you scheduled your interview a few days ago? I recently purchased my plane ticket and I want to be sure that I am signed up for the correct date. I did receive a confirmation email right away signing up for a date but that email was general, not confirming a specific date.

Does the portal still say "You are invited to schedule an on-site interview" even if you scheduled your interview a few days ago? I recently purchased my plane ticket and I want to be sure that I am signed up for the correct date. I did receive a confirmation email right away signing up for a date but that email was general, not confirming a specific date.
Mine says I haven't even been invited yet but I've already been interviewed and my interview eval is complete LOL

Yep, exact same for me. I might call them just to confirm. ;-)

I interviewed on 4/9 as well but my portal does not say that my interview eval has been completed. Maybe my interviewer hasn’t submitted yet?
Mine doesn't say it either and I interviewed the same day... I wonder if it's a glitch with the system? I think my interviewer said they were supposed to complete that right after our interview, but he also kind of shrugged it off, so idk...

My interview was very short- like I think I was out real fast. My interview was also kinda weird, he had my entire file in front of him, yet asked me, "tell me about your grades, GPA; what did you get on MCAT?" it was kinda odd but oh well. Seems like depends on who you get will change your interview experience.

Did anyone call them and ask about the portal saying missing transcripts?

Figured out how to check your status (thanks @MoldovanDoc!). On the calmed portal, go to Admissions —> Admissions Missing Docs —> Admissions Status.

Mine says eval submitted.

Figured out how to check your status (thanks @MoldovanDoc!). On the calmed portal, go to Admissions —> Admissions Missing Docs —> Admissions Status.

Mine says eval submitted.
When did you interview? Mine still says scheduled and i interviewed on April 6

My interview was very short- like I think I was out real fast. My interview was also kinda weird, he had my entire file in front of him, yet asked me, "tell me about your grades, GPA; what did you get on MCAT?" it was kinda odd but oh well. Seems like depends on who you get will change your interview experience.
Thanks! Sounds like the 1-on-1 part of the day is relatively low-stress.

Acceptance just now over email. Interviewed on first day. 523/3.98.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Acceptance just now over email. Interviewed on first day.
Congrats! Did you apply to any other schools this cycle? I saw your other post where folks were recommending that you hold off another year... Must feel great that you don't have to!

Congrats! Did you apply to any other schools this cycle? I saw your other post where folks were recommending that you hold off another year... Must feel great that you don't have to!

Thanks! Roughly 10 others; one other interview.