2017-2018 Des Moines University (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So...has anyone heard back today?

I interviewed 2/16 and was also told to expect a decision within 3 weeks. Obviously that means I've still got some time to go, but everyone in this thread seems to be experiencing longer wait times...
I haven't heard back yet but I'll let you know when I do!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just heard back from 2/8 interview. I was placed on the alternate list.

Sorry about the alternate list... But that means they think you are good enough (that's how I look at it anyway)! I'm confident DMU will have lots of movement due to them having so many MD-quality applicants.

I interviewed 1/29 so I'm over here slapping my refresh button....

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just be patient until May 1st. There's a ton of movement usually, at least there was last year. Stay positive

Reactions: 1 users
I was declined.

I don't know why. I thought the interview went quite well. :(

505 mcat, 3.85 gpa

Darn, I was put on the alternate list as well. Did anyone get an acceptance letter today?

I was declined.

I don't know why. I thought the interview went quite well. :(

505 mcat, 3.85 gpa
Sorry to hear that. Did you emphasize osteopathic medicine at all during the interview? I'm just wondering, with your higher GPA, if they were expecting you to go MD?

I just did. Alternate list
That's not necessarily bad, considering it's later in the cycle and seats are likely becoming more competitive.

Did you guys receive emails after the Admissions office had closed at 5pm today? I'm just curious if there is a delay on when they are arriving, or if they're still being sent, or what...

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear that. Did you emphasize osteopathic medicine at all during the interview? I'm just wondering, with your higher GPA, if they were expecting you to go MD?

That's not necessarily bad, considering it's later in the cycle and seats are likely becoming more competitive.

Did you guys receive emails after the Admissions office had closed at 5pm today? I'm just curious if there is a delay on when they are arriving, or if they're still being sent, or what...
I got my email at around 7PM EST

Alternate List, hoping there's lots of movement this year, because I'd love to attend here!

I got mine around 8:20

Bummer!Great stats though. Have you been accepted elsewhere?

Nope.

Applied to 30 schools. 15 MD, 15 DO. 3 interviews, 1 MD, 2 DO. I'm on the MD waitlist, and haven't heard from the second DO.

Last edited:

I got mine at 8:30 pm CST

I mean, they asked the usual question about why I'm interested in osteopathic medicine. I thought I gave a decent answer, and we had a pretty positive back and forth about a DO I shadowed.

I've done mock interviews with multiple people, including professors who have no reason to flatter me. No one said I was a super-stellar interviewer by any means, but no one said I threw any red flags, either.

Applying to medical school is somewhat a game of chance, which is why people apply to so many schools. I wonder if I've just ended up as one of those rare people who is qualified, applied to plenty of schools, but is having an unusually tough time anyway.

Nope.

Applied to 30 schools. 15 MD, 15 DO. 3 interviews, 1 MD, 2 DO. I'm on the MD waitlist, and haven't heard from the second DO.
At least there's still hope for the other schools that you interviewed at. This cycle is still far from being over! Best of luck! :luck:

Just be patient until May 1st. There's a ton of movement usually, at least there was last year. Stay positive
+1...
Most of those who jumped ship went to MD side....that speak volumes. I suspect this year is the same..as many are waiting on the sidelines from its MD side "wait list" announcement. Some MD schools start mid to late April.

has anyone who interviewed sent a letter of intent to DMU after they interviewed but before they heard a committee decision? wondering if this will help or hinder me but wanted to hear fellow SDNer opinions first. do I reach out to admissions or just anxiously await a decision? I was told on interview day by admissions staff they like to see students who continue to show their interest and dedication to DMU's program and that can influence who they pull off the waitlist but wasn't sure if that applies to before a decision is made. thanks!

has anyone who interviewed sent a letter of intent to DMU after they interviewed but before they heard a committee decision? wondering if this will help or hinder me but wanted to hear fellow SDNer opinions first. do I reach out to admissions or just anxiously await a decision? I was told on interview day by admissions staff they like to see students who continue to show their interest and dedication to DMU's program and that can influence who they pull off the waitlist but wasn't sure if that applies to before a decision is made. thanks!
So, I wrote something like an LOI after ranking had been done, and while I can't definitively say how much it helped, I can definitely say it helped me get in sooner. It's kind of a funny story, but not something I can disclose on a forum here. If anyone's interested after quartiles come out, shoot me a PM and I'll give you some suggestions.

I'm torn on how LOIs are perceived. I think that just giving updates in general tells the school that you're interested, and that's really all you should need to do. An LOI isn't anything shiny or special because what's to stop people from sending them to every school they interviewed at?

That sort of decision is up to you. I don't think it will hurt you if you do, but I don't see how it'd help you any more than just a quick update.

So, I wrote something like an LOI after ranking had been done, and while I can't definitively say how much it helped, I can definitely say it helped me get in sooner. It's kind of a funny story, but not something I can disclose on a forum here. If anyone's interested after quartiles come out, shoot me a PM and I'll give you some suggestions.

I'm torn on how LOIs are perceived. I think that just giving updates in general tells the school that you're interested, and that's really all you should need to do. An LOI isn't anything shiny or special because what's to stop people from sending them to every school they interviewed at?

That sort of decision is up to you. I don't think it will hurt you if you do, but I don't see how it'd help you any more than just a quick update.

If I send anything it won't be as formal as a letter of intent - probably just an email to admissions thats a paragraph or so just giving updates and my continued interest for their program. Just need to decide if I should send it before/after the admissions decision is made. Thank you for the input!

Meanwhile I’m hitting my refresh button like no ones business. Where’s my decision????? Ughhhhh

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

still haven't heard either, i hope this means something good for me! fingers crossed! does anyone know if they call or e-mail for acceptances?

still haven't heard either, i hope this means something good for me! fingers crossed! does anyone know if they call or e-mail for acceptances?
Pretty positive they email. Still waiting to hear back from my 2/2 interview... getting more anxious by the day.

If I send anything it won't be as formal as a letter of intent - probably just an email to admissions thats a paragraph or so just giving updates and my continued interest for their program. Just need to decide if I should send it before/after the admissions decision is made. Thank you for the input!
If I were you, I would wait until you have a decision. I talked to admissions advisors/professors/students and they all agreed that something like a LOI is better served after you have a waitlist decision. And if you get accepted then no need! Simple updates would probably be appropriate at any time.

If I were you, I would wait until you have a decision. I talked to admissions advisors/professors/students and they all agreed that something like a LOI is better served after you have a waitlist decision. And if you get accepted then no need! Simple updates would probably be appropriate at any time.

Id agree. Thank you letters are appropriate pre-decision. LOIs after.

So anyone else got the hold email again this past week? Otherwise complete silence since August. What are the chances of me getting an interview this late in the cycle? Seems like class is full and they are waiting for people to drop to accept off the alternate list.

So anyone else got the hold email again this past week? Otherwise complete silence since August. What are the chances of me getting an interview this late in the cycle? Seems like class is full and they are waiting for people to drop to accept off the alternate list.
My portal says there are interviews from 3/12/18 through 3/30/18. If it makes you feel any better, I interviewed a week after I received my II so the timing was pretty close to the interview date.

Not gonna lie. . . I feel the vibes hitting this thread that only March in a med school application process can bring on. Coming from a reapplicant, Stay strong folks :)

Reactions: 4 users
What does it say? I can still log in.
I lost access a couple of days ago. It says "Your account is currently disabled, please contact the system administrator for details."

Reactions: 2 users
i just heard from a friend who received an e-mail about being on the alternate list about an hour ago! we interviewed on the same day at the same time, so i'm not sure what this means for me! lol i still haven't gotten a decision e-mail

Just curious, did you interview the week of 2/19-2/23? wondering if there is any chance I might hear back as well.

I interviewed the week of 2/12! I haven't heard of any other people who interviewed last week hearing back though, so I think you might have to wait a week or two still!

Last edited:
I interviewed on 2/15! I haven't heard of any other people who interviewed last week hearing back though, so I think you might have to wait a week or two still!
Yeah I’m figuring so too. Just can’t help but hope.

i just heard from a friend who received an e-mail about being on the alternate list about an hour ago! we interviewed on the same day at the same time, so i'm not sure what this means for me! lol i still haven't gotten a decision e-mail

when was your interview date?

Alternate list just now. VERY surprised they didn’t give me a seat, as I thought I really killed this interview. KCU it is for me, then!

ALTERNATE LIST.
Which sucks.
But at the same time, there's still hope.
Now for another BRUTAL TWO MONTHS OF WAITING.