2017-2018 Des Moines University (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was in the 3rd quartile last year and got in during May. Many of the candidates are borderline MD, so I think that accounts for much of the movement. Not sure if they'll adjust this year, as last year they blew through their waitlist and interviewed candidates in May (according to last year's thread).

That gives me hope! Will update later in the week. Best of luck to everyone interviewing!

Members don't see this ad.

I was in the 3rd quartile last year and got in during May. Many of the candidates are borderline MD, so I think that accounts for much of the movement. Not sure if they'll adjust this year, as last year they blew through their waitlist and interviewed candidates in May (according to last year's thread).
Their borderline MD acceptees are the same if not more this year as DMU continues showing it is a very excellent DO school. They did all the right things with the support of the community.

Reactions: 1 user
I received my hold email 8/23.
During those months between your hold email and your interview invite, did you send any emails to admissions just to clarify that you were still interested? (I've seen other posts recommending this)

Members don't see this ad :)
II tonight after being on hold since October!
During those months on hold did you send any emails to admissions expressing your continued interest in the program? I've heard people recommend this but wanted to see what people with actual interviews did.

Anyone else still getting silence? Complete in July. I am surprised as I've got strong Iowa ties and stats well above the medians here. I expected silence from U of Iowa and some love from DMU, not the other way around. This was one of my top choices.
Any updates on your situation? I'm in the same predicament. DMU is my #1 choice and with all my stats, I honestly was really confident. (3.9/511, great experiences and recommendations, Iowa resident) I'm being pursued by U of I but am on hold (without an II) at DMU. I'm not sure if I should contact them expressing interest again or what?

Any updates on your situation? I'm in the same predicament. DMU is my #1 choice and with all my stats, I honestly was really confident. (3.9/511, great experiences and recommendations, Iowa resident) I'm being pursued by U of I but am on hold (without an II) at DMU. I'm not sure if I should contact them expressing interest again or what?

I would definitely follow up with DMU with an update and express some interest. Your Lizzy is better than mine.

I ended up getting accepted to DMU and gave up the seat. I am waiting for the results of the final pool at Iowa.

I would definitely follow up with DMU with an update and express some interest. Your Lizzy is better than mine.

I ended up getting accepted to DMU and gave up the seat. I am waiting for the results of the final pool at Iowa.
Thanks for the reply! Good to know they finally interviewed and accepted you. Did you send your email of interest to DO.Admit at dmu.edu (SDN won't let me type the email address cause it thinks I'm trying to post a link)? I sent one three weeks ago and they just thanked me for the kind note, but no II. I'm wondering if I should mention my stats in the email and also the fact that I would turn down MD schools if DMU accepted me, so they'd know I wouldn't jump to the MD side at the last minute. Thanks for your help and best of luck making your final decision!

Thanks for the reply! Good to know they finally interviewed and accepted you. Did you send your email of interest to DO.Admit at dmu.edu (SDN won't let me type the email address cause it thinks I'm trying to post a link)? I sent one three weeks ago and they just thanked me for the kind note, but no II. I'm wondering if I should mention my stats in the email and also the fact that I would turn down MD schools if DMU accepted me, so they'd know I wouldn't jump to the MD side at the last minute. Thanks for your help and best of luck making your final decision!

I never sent them a letter of interest, if I remember correctly I heard from them shortly after posting about not hearing from them. Go figure. I probably wouldn't mention stats in one of those emails though, they have that info. If it were me I'd focus on why you're a good fit for their school/mission and reaffirm your interest. Admittedly I'm no expert on this though so maybe someone else can chime in.

Which MD school? If you dont mind me asking.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Don't say anything about any other school...it comes off as "you guys aren't as good, but I like you a lot still". There is no way that plays well at all so be safe

Don't say anything about any other school...it comes off as "you guys aren't as good, but I like you a lot still". There is no way that plays well at all so be safe

What about something along the lines of: "Although I've been fortunate enough to have had a successful cycle, school xyz still sits atop my list because of blah blah blah"

I can see that having more meaning because it isn't just an applicant desperate to avoid a reapp cycle

What about something along the lines of: "Although I've been fortunate enough to have had a successful cycle, school xyz still sits atop my list because of blah blah blah"

I can see that having more meaning because it isn't just an applicant desperate to avoid a reapp cycle
I agree with you. I read an article that also promoted this tactic (don't remember where). Let the school know that although you know you are going to be a doctor that they are still your top choice.

@TruffleSkeeter although I was never on hold I did send an email directly to the director of admissions the result was an interview the following week and an acceptance soon after.

This is just my two cents, obviously I may be overthinking it but I honestly wouldn't name anything about any other school. A rule of thumb that I live by for everything is you never know how the reader will view something. I would stick to why you want to attend DMU and literally don't bring up anything about the cycle otherwise. For example just to play devil's advocate, what you said could come off as, "I know I'm good enough for your school because other schools want me, but don't worry I still want to come here". I know it isn't meant that way but ya never know who's reading it and what kind of day theyre having haha

I don't think the second option is bad, just always want to eliminate any chance of misconceptions so have a couple people read it

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
During those months on hold did you send any emails to admissions expressing your continued interest in the program? I've heard people recommend this but wanted to see what people with actual interviews did.

Yeah, I've sent two emails. The first about 2 months after being placed on hold, and then again last week.

I agree with you. I read an article that also promoted this tactic (don't remember where). Let the school know that although you know you are going to be a doctor that they are still your top choice.

@TruffleSkeeter although I was never on hold I did send an email directly to the director of admissions the result was an interview the following week and an acceptance soon after.
And I'm assuming you didn't mention anything about your qualifications/stats? I'm thinking I might go with your suggestion because I'm not sure the address I sent the email to was really hitting an audience that would have the authority to send me an interview invite (she sent a nice reply, but seemed like she was probably an administrative assistant with tons of paperwork to deal with and probably didn't give my email a second thought).
Thank you for all the help everyone! I'm amazed at how supportive SDN is!

random question, but does anyone know any good barbers in the Des Moines area lol

Could any current students shed some light on being awarded a scholarship? How does that work? We just sit back and wait?

And I'm assuming you didn't mention anything about your qualifications/stats? I'm thinking I might go with your suggestion because I'm not sure the address I sent the email to was really hitting an audience that would have the authority to send me an interview invite (she sent a nice reply, but seemed like she was probably an administrative assistant with tons of paperwork to deal with and probably didn't give my email a second thought).
Thank you for all the help everyone! I'm amazed at how supportive SDN is!

I did mention stats but it was more in list form. I started with a paragraph of interest and why I wanted a seat at their school and then pretty said this is what you find in my application and had a list with all of the key factors of my application. I thanked them for their time and signed my name. I actually think it ended up in the hands of an administrative assistant but sometimes gutsy moves pay off haha. Kinda like in the Pursuit of Happyness when Will Smith goes straight for the CEO.

Do they even give merit/need based scholarships, or are the ones on the Pulse the only ones you can apply for?
There’s a list of scholarships on their website but apparently we don’t apply for them... we are automatically considered... idk I’m really confused by that

There’s a list of scholarships on their website but apparently we don’t apply for them... we are automatically considered... idk I’m really confused by that

Im going to call sometime this week and ask about them and report back. I never even knew that list existed. I saw the ones on Pulse and they are all mostly for Iowa residents and URMs

It's about 60% just based on a stat I saw when I interviewed last year too

Out of curiosity, do you (or anyone) know whether this is supposedly 60% of those interviewed are *offered* acceptance, or 60% of those interviewed *matriculate*?

Out of curiosity, do you (or anyone) know whether this is supposedly 60% of those interviewed are *offered* acceptance, or 60% of those interviewed *matriculate*?
I believe offered, but honestly I have no idea where that stat came from its just in my head haha but we were repeatedly told we wouldn't be at the interview if they had no intention of offering acceptance. If you have an interview you have a shot

I believe offered, but honestly I have no idea where that stat came from its just in my head haha but we were repeatedly told we wouldn't be at the interview if they had no intention of offering acceptance. If you have an interview you have a shot

Had my interview recently. I'm really excited about this school. I'm hoping that my excitement came through during the interview.

Is there anything else accepted students need to do except the deposit? I paid my initial deposit in December but have not heard anything (via email or pulse) about the background check or drug test. Can anyone shed any insight or advice on this? I feel like I'm missing something...

Is there anything else accepted students need to do except the deposit? I paid my initial deposit in December but have not heard anything (via email or pulse) about the background check or drug test. Can anyone shed any insight or advice on this? I feel like I'm missing something...

The only thing we have to do is pay the deposit and sign that student requirements form. Might want to also get your FAFSA in

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

At some point, if it hasn’t already, a checklist will appear on Pulse with stuff you need to do. They’ll send an email out with instructions for the background check and drug testing sometime in the next few months.

they sent an email this morning. It went to my junk mail in gmail

On the DMU website it says that the clinical sites are year long. I just wanted to clarify, that means we will be able to do all of our clinicals that year at one location right? One of the other schools I interviewed at had you traveling all over the place for each specialty rotation... I'd prefer to stay in one place for as long as possible. What are the chances of getting clinicals in Des Moines? How many spots are typically available?

On the DMU website it says that the clinical sites are year long. I just wanted to clarify, that means we will be able to do all of our clinicals that year at one location right? One of the other schools I interviewed at had you traveling all over the place for each specialty rotation... I'd prefer to stay in one place for as long as possible. What are the chances of getting clinicals in Des Moines? How many spots are typically available?

You can find more information if you dig through this thread.

Not all rotations are for the entire year. I think close to 1/2 the class gets to stay in Des Moines, and the majority get year-long sites somewhere.
As a first year, we aren't given a ton of information about rotations yet, so I can't really answer any specific questions.

Not all rotations are for the entire year. I think close to 1/2 the class gets to stay in Des Moines, and the majority get year-long sites somewhere.
As a first year, we aren't given a ton of information about rotations yet, so I can't really answer any specific questions.

One of my best friends just graduated from DMU and said most of your rotations will be elsewhere. He spent a ton of time in Ohio, Pennsylvania and Michigan

For the class of 2020, around 160 students will have "year long" rotation sites next year as third years and the other 60 or so will have "non year long" sites. Year long means that you'll be in the same place for all your third year. Non year long means that either you can set up rotations yourself, or the school will assign you rotations, which are not all at the same place. If you go through the school, most of the rotations will be within 60 miles of Des Moines, but at least two will be outside that area (i.e. Nebraska).

Out of the year long sites, there are around 20 spots at UnityPoint, around 20 at Mercy, and the rest are either elsewhere in Iowa or in other states (you can find more info on the website, but affiliations can change from year to year).

Sorry, I didn't start following the thread until I actually got an interview scheduled for the school. I didn't know if anything had been mentioned yet. Half the class is still a pretty good amount though, better than I've seen at some schools. Thanks pstrick.

For those that have already interviewed, would you recommend bringing a binder with paper to take notes? Or do they supply a folder, pen, etc?

For those that have already interviewed, would you recommend bringing a binder with paper to take notes? Or do they supply a folder, pen, etc?

I always liked to bring a pen and something to write on just in case but they will give you a portfolio with a pen and all that regular interview stuff

Could any current students shed some light on being awarded a scholarship? How does that work? We just sit back and wait?
When I was accepted back in September they extended the offer along with a merit based scholarship. I'm not entirely sure, but I believe that particular one was based on academics

Got an interview invite yesterday. I don’t know if I should save the money or check out one of the top schools.

Got an interview invite yesterday. I don’t know if I should save the money or check out one of the top schools.
Do whatever you want I'm more putting this out there for the people lurking...I've heard from most everyone to go to every interview unless there is no way you will attend the school. You never know what will click and honestly we take out so much loans its a drop in the bucket. but that's just my n=1

Unless you have a great acceptance already, I would check out DMU. I loved the school.

Reactions: 2 users
anyone else get a podiatry email from the school post interview...?

Yes. And a bunch of schools, including ones where I was rejected.

And tons of military emails.

And tons of Caribbean emails.

And TONS of master’s program emails.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes. And a bunch of schools, including ones where I was rejected.

And tons of military emails.

And tons of Caribbean emails.

And TONS of master’s program emails.
Ahh yess I about freaked out when case western first emailed me and then found it was for some gap year law degree. I’m getting tired getting all the wrong emails. Would the schools I applied to please email me back :boom:

All the spam would be less annoying if I wasn’t waiting for IMPORTANT LEGIT stuff.

Hahaha!

Reactions: 2 users
Was put on hold pre-interview, was reached out to last week for an interview. Am going tomorrow for it. Already accepted at other places but I figured why not. See y'all tomorrow!

Was put on hold pre-interview, was reached out to last week for an interview. Am going tomorrow for it. Already accepted at other places but I figured why not. See y'all tomorrow!
See you tomorrow, and good luck :)!