2017-2018 Des Moines University (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I always liked to bring a pen and something to write on just in case but they will give you a portfolio with a pen and all that regular interview stuff

Yep! They gave us a nice portfolio with pen/stylus combo, and a pad of paper.

Members don't see this ad.

did anyone who interviewed 2/8 hear back yet? getting anxious, really loved DMU

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone happen to know when the next adcom meeting is? Have heard some people who interviewed early Feb haven't heard back yet and because I interviewed today hoping they meet soon and I get reviewed with the others instead of having to wait 3-4 weeks (confirmed by DMU staff today).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
evening! I just got an interview for DMU and really seems to be a great school. I cannot interview the first date they offered, 3/1, do you think it would be worth it to interview 3/8? Are they still accepting?

evening! I just got an interview for DMU and really seems to be a great school. I cannot interview the first date they offered, 3/1, do you think it would be worth it to interview 3/8? Are they still accepting?

If they weren't still accepting students then I don't think they'd spend their time and resources on interviewing them.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank
If they weren't still accepting students then I don't think they'd spend their time and resources on interviewing them.
Thank you! Tickets are just pretty expensive and I was just curious on specifics.

I interviewed today and they told us they are still accepting applicants over the next few weeks for sure.

As far as I know, interviews are still scheduled at least through the end of March. I haven't looked any further out on the calendar than that, however.

Even if all the seats end up being full, they stated they have quite a few students pull out even after placing deposits and that the waitlist sometimes moves as much as 75%

Interviewing 3/8! Wanted to interview earlier but already had travel plans for LECOM-B. Super excited.

During those months on hold did you send any emails to admissions expressing your continued interest in the program? I've heard people recommend this but wanted to see what people with actual interviews did.

Not the OP, but I was able to turn in a last minute MD letter, still nothing, then I emailed admissions expressing my interest and received an II. It probably has more to do with my letter BUT I would not count out shooting them an email if you already have a physician letter.

Even if all the seats end up being full, they stated they have quite a few students pull out even after placing deposits and that the waitlist sometimes moves as much as 75%
I believe it. I love DMU and Des Moines, but the second I get an MD acceptance I am running with it. Others have voiced this as well. A movement of around 50% would not surprise me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe it. I love DMU and Des Moines, but the second I get an MD acceptance I am running with it. Others have voiced this as well. A movement of around 50% would not surprise me.

The difference between DMU and other DO schools is that 50% if not more of its accpectees are borderline potential MD bound. DMU does lots of things right.

Reactions: 4 users
Does DMU require you to buy a laptop from them? If so... does anyone know what kind?

Does DMU require you to buy a laptop from them? If so... does anyone know what kind?
You are "given" a laptop... although you pay for it in your technology/supplies fee. Comes loaded with all the software that is needed. I believe the student ambassadors said it was an HP, but don't quote me on that. I know it's not a Mac or Dell.

You are "given" a laptop... although you pay for it in your technology/supplies fee. Comes loaded with all the software that is needed. I believe the student ambassadors said it was an HP, but don't quote me on that. I know it's not a Mac or Dell.
We have an HP elitebook. Technically you can pay 1 cent at graduation to keep the laptop I believe but you pay for it throughout your education (lets be real probably 2-3x as much)

We have an HP elitebook. Technically you can pay 1 cent at graduation to keep the laptop I believe but you pay for it throughout your education (lets be real probably 2-3x as much)

Are we provided this laptop at the beginning of orientation and is this ours or are we only allowed to use it during lectures, etc?

Are we provided this laptop at the beginning of orientation and is this ours or are we only allowed to use it during lectures, etc?
Beginning of orientation. Its yours to have whenever. You're responsible for it while its still technically DMU property until you graduate so you have to be careful but you carry it around whenever.

Beginning of orientation. Its yours to have whenever. You're responsible for it while its still technically DMU property until you graduate so you have to be careful but you carry it around whenever.

Awesome thanks so much. Do you know the exact model? There are plenty of options for HP Elitebooks looking at the website.

Today is the 4 week mark post interview. Was told I’d have an update before the 3 week mark.

I went ahead and emailed one of the admissions folks, everyone was super friendly and I was very impressed on the interview day!

Awesome thanks so much. Do you know the exact model? There are plenty of options for HP Elitebooks looking at the website.
I have no idea if itll be the same model come next year for you guys. They're decent computers...nothing crazy fancy but they get the job done well for the most part

Today is the 4 week mark post interview. Was told I’d have an update before the 3 week mark.

I went ahead and emailed one of the admissions folks, everyone was super friendly and I was very impressed on the interview day!

I emailed them last week. Interviewed on 2/2 and was told we would hear back on 2/16. They said that they werent able to get through as many applications as they presumed, but the 2/2 interviews should hear back by this Friday, 2/30. Sucks, because I had to pay my second deposit at another school and pay to set up the background check/drug screening. Lets all hope for good news this week!

I emailed them last week. Interviewed on 2/2 and was told we would hear back on 2/16. They said that they werent able to get through as many applications as they presumed, but the 2/2 interviews should hear back by this Friday, 2/30. Sucks, because I had to pay my second deposit at another school and pay to set up the background check/drug screening. Lets all hope for good news this week!

Yeah, I have a feeling they are silent-rejecting me.

I interviewed 1/29 so you’d think I’d have an answer before Feb. interviewees...

Yeah, I have a feeling they are silent-rejecting me.

I interviewed 1/29 so you’d think I’d have an answer before Feb. interviewees...

Pretty sure they dont do silent rejections. Im sure theyre just a little behind, its probably super busy in their office. Keep your head up!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Pretty sure they dont do silent rejections. Im sure theyre just a little behind, its probably super busy in their office. Keep your head up!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Didn’t mean to sound depressed! I have 3 acceptances so far so I’m feeling fine, very happy to be in the spot I am.

I loved DMU though!

My guess is individuals who interviewed 2/2 and maybe 2/8 will hear back this evening. If not 2/8 tonight, my guess for them is Wednesday or next week Monday

Is anyone else's application portal disabled right now? I hope that means we're currently under review and will hear back soon!

Received a prompt reply that committees are meeting this week and emails should be sent this week as well.

I’ve enjoyed every interaction with this school, and commend the admissions staff and faculty for a flawless experience.

Received a prompt reply that committees are meeting this week and emails should be sent this week as well.

I’ve enjoyed every interaction with this school, and commend the admissions staff and faculty for a flawless experience.

I wonder if it would be too much to think they'll get through last week's (2/19, 2/22, and 2/23) interviewees this week as well? Probably...

I wonder if it would be too much to think they'll get through last week's (2/19, 2/22, and 2/23) interviewees this week as well? Probably...
They still have the 1/29, 2/2, 2/8, 2/9 dates to make decisions on --- but maybe they'll crank 'em all out in one sitting and do all of them at once!

A hopeful wish lol

They still have the 1/29, 2/2, 2/8, 2/9 dates to make decisions on --- but maybe they'll crank 'em all out in one sitting and do all of them at once!

A hopeful wish lol

Agreed -- hopeful at best. I want everyone who interviewed much earlier than myself to get answers first though, because you guys have been waiting MUCH longer than me so it's only fair.

Everyone on here is tripping and Im just hoping to be pulled off the waitlist :)

Mine was one on two with a faculty member and a current student, although I believe it can also be one on three.

Is anyone else's application portal disabled right now? I hope that means we're currently under review and will hear back soon!
I just saw that mine said it was disabled as well. It kind of worried me - do you think we should contact the admission's office?

I just saw that mine said it was disabled as well. It kind of worried me - do you think we should contact the admission's office?
Do they do application updates on the portal or something? I thought it was only for the interview invitation and then after that all other updates are via email?
lol don't give me another website to stalk and constantly refresh for hours and hours lmfao!

That might be a good idea. I'm hoping they're just locking us out until the portal's been updated to reflect the admission decision. I loved DMU and hope that's not a sign that we were rejected! :(

Do they do application updates on the portal or something? I thought it was only for the interview invitation and then after that all other updates are via email?
lol don't give me another website to stalk and constantly refresh for hours and hours lmfao!
I think I read on here somewhere that they add a link to pay the deposit to the portal once you've been accepted. That might not be added immediately though.

2/8

Really REALLY hoping that we get grouped in with you guys. We're supposed to hear back this week, but they've been delayed :/
Good luck and I hope that you do hear back this week! This wait is brutal.

Good luck and I hope that you do hear back this week! This wait is brutal.

I’m guessing they should hear back tomorrow. I looked back Through the thread and most groups were hearing back on Wednesdays.

I’m guessing they should hear back tomorrow. I looked back Through the thread and most groups were hearing back on Wednesdays.

So...has anyone heard back today?

I interviewed 2/16 and was also told to expect a decision within 3 weeks. Obviously that means I've still got some time to go, but everyone in this thread seems to be experiencing longer wait times...