2017-2018 Feinberg School of Medicine (Northwestern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just accepted by email. Had interviewed in December, deferred in january

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed in october, deferred in november, complete silence on my end. Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
accepted last night. to everyone still waiting - i really feel for you. this process has been brutal to say the least. praying that everyone here gets into a school they like and finds happiness where life takes them. Godspeed y'all ✊️

Current student here- I feel for all of you waiting it's a brutal process. Happy to answer any questions you have about clinical or pre-clinical curriculum. Feinberg is an awesome place with students who take pride in their passionate and fun community.

Current student here- I feel for all of you waiting it's a brutal process. Happy to answer any questions you have about clinical or pre-clinical curriculum. Feinberg is an awesome place with students who take pride in their passionate and fun community.
Hi Do you have any idea about waitlist movement? There seems to be some confusion on this thread... One person thought a lot of people come off the waitlist. Someone else said they called the admissions office and they said only people were accepted off it.

Hi Do you have any idea about waitlist movement? There seems to be some confusion on this thread... One person thought a lot of people come off the waitlist. Someone else said they called the admissions office and they said only people were accepted off it.
Admissions office email "last year only 10 people got off the waitlist. In some past years, up to 30 got accepted"

Unfortunately not, I'm sorry. Totally totally understand how agonizing the waiting can be. One of the best students in our class here got off the waitlist literally a few weeks before we started so it really could happen at any time.

Unfortunately not, I'm sorry. Totally totally understand how agonizing the waiting can be. One of the best students in our class here got off the waitlist literally a few weeks before we started so it really could happen at any time.
So when you see the stat that they accept like 70% of the interviewees that means straight acceptance/deferral acceptance? Wow. It really hurts to be w/l wd at a school that accepts that percentage. I really wish this cycle was over.

So when you see the stat that they accept like 70% of the interviewees that means straight acceptance/deferral acceptance? Wow. It really hurts to be w/l wd at a school that accepts that percentage. I really wish this cycle was over.
Agreed. Very demoralizing

that includes their other programs including bs md.

The cycle is so random. I feel lucky to be at Feinberg, and was denied even interviews at many similar schools. Hang in there.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! Would you say that the curriculum prepares you well for the step exams, or do students rely heavily on other prep methods? Also, do you think that's something important to think about, or does it not really matter in the end? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Would you say that the curriculum prepares you well for the step exams, or do students rely heavily on other prep methods? Also, do you think that's something important to think about, or does it not really matter in the end? Thanks!

I think the easiest way to answer this is by saying our Step 1 average this year was 241, which is insane and one of the best in the country. Step 2 is less important but we actually do proportionally better on Step 2 than we do on Step 1. Students always rely heavily on standardized prep methods during dedicated time since those are the tried and true resources. Feinberg's curriculum is designed to make us great clinicians and cement clinical reasoning skills which aren't really tested on Step 1. No matter the school, I think anyone can score well on Step 1 no matter where they go since there are those dedicated tried and true resources.

Worth mentioning- the hip new trend these days is to delay Step 1 until after M3 year. Every school is feeling pressure to follow suit since many of the heavyweight institutions are doing this. The argument is that you'll be better prepared for the test, but man I can tell you everyone here is so glad we had that pressure off before starting on the wards. We also felt very strong about our knowledge base before going on the wards. Our 240+ average probably doesn't have much room to budge. I'm sure students like whatever their own institution is doing, so I would not let this one thing sway you either way, basically.

I think the easiest way to answer this is by saying our Step 1 average this year was 241, which is insane and one of the best in the country. Step 2 is less important but we actually do proportionally better on Step 2 than we do on Step 1. Students always rely heavily on standardized prep methods during dedicated time since those are the tried and true resources. Feinberg's curriculum is designed to make us great clinicians and cement clinical reasoning skills which aren't really tested on Step 1. No matter the school, I think anyone can score well on Step 1 no matter where they go since there are those dedicated tried and true resources.

Worth mentioning- the hip new trend these days is to delay Step 1 until after M3 year. Every school is feeling pressure to follow suit since many of the heavyweight institutions are doing this. The argument is that you'll be better prepared for the test, but man I can tell you everyone here is so glad we had that pressure off before starting on the wards. We also felt very strong about our knowledge base before going on the wards. Our 240+ average probably doesn't have much room to budge. I'm sure students like whatever their own institution is doing, so I would not let this one thing sway you either way, basically.
OK, thanks so much for your helpful answer! Much appreciated!

That's disappointing...
That’s not so bad actually. Highly desirable programs in big cities and top programs tend to have fewer accepted waitlist students. Stay encouraged though. What is meant for you is already yours! You will see.

That’s not so bad actually. Highly desirable programs in big cities and top programs tend to have fewer accepted waitlist students. Stay encouraged though. What is meant for you is already yours! You will see.
Going from an 80% chance of getting in to around a 10% is pretty bad :/

Going from an 80% chance of getting in to around a 10% is pretty bad :/
It's not an 80% chance of getting in. USNWR isn't always accurate and the numbers are skewed because of their BS/MD program.

d

deffered too still. It could also be a R...
Haven't even gotten a deferral and its been ~8 weeks since my interview... Not too sure what that means for me, but there's been deferred applicants receiving acceptances up through the latest round of decisions on Friday. I wouldn't count yourself out yet.

Like if your app was forgotten

No reported acceptances today?

Any financial aid awards released yet?

I don't have CAESAR or a Northwestern .edu email yet. I was accepted last week. What was the turnaround time for everyone else?

I don't have CAESAR or a Northwestern .edu email yet. I was accepted last week. What was the turnaround time for everyone else?

I haven’t gotten my email or CAESAR yet and I was accepted at the end of January.

Don't worry! I was accepted in mid January and I didn't get a login until Feb 23.

Just got the email that financial aid is available to view... I’m scared to look...

Just got my fin aid notification - no scholarships info. Has anyone received merit scholarships with their aid? Would we be notified of scholarships along with aid, or are they separate processes?

So is today just for financial aid/ need based scholarships? I think merit scholarships are supposed to come out mid march as well?..

Just got my fin aid notification - no scholarships info. Has anyone received merit scholarships with their aid? Would we be notified of scholarships along with aid, or are they separate processes?
Haha, beat me to it

I think they may be separate because you don't have to apply for merit scholarships. So I don't even have my CAESER set up I think

Just got that W. I think I'm going to die....this is my top choice school by miles. :(

Never got an email to check CAESAR, but my award was there. Received 108k in scholarship. Will be withdrawing in the next few days, hope my seat goes to someone on the waitlist!

Where do I log in to my Northwestern email account? I can't remember where I originally checked it

Never got an email to check CAESAR, but my award was there. Received 108k in scholarship. Will be withdrawing in the next few days, hope my seat goes to someone on the waitlist!
108k in scholarship, meaning over four years?

Waitlisted. Interviewed in January and didn't receive a formal deferral.