2017-2018 Florida Atlantic University (Schmidt)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ah 18th! I always love knowing when other active SNDers are at interviews with me, but I’ll defintely brief you on how it goes!
Awesome! Good luck!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
AYYYY just received an II!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II this morning via email! Super stoked!!! I've been eyeing this school ;):soexcited:

Damn, I can't attend any of the dates that are currently offered. Has anyone else had a similar issue? I will likely call them tomorrow to see what they suggest but I thought I'd drop a post here first in-case anyone has some insight.

Thanks everyone!

Interview set for tomorrow morning!! Good luck to everyone interviewing!

Can anyone speak to the diversity in this COM? Particularly the community of URMs here? Do URMs feel like they have a support system with other URMs and faculty as well? It does a lot and would add to the overall experience of a URM at this COM!

"Admissions Committee Review Complete" ugh, painfully waiting for Friday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah not accepted! Interview 12/14 good luck everyone else!!!

I've been accepted via phone call!!! I was shaking the entire call. God is good and frankly, if you know my stats, you'll understand that this acceptance was a miracle only made possible through Him!

Reactions: 5 users
I've been accepted via phone call!!! I was shaking the entire call. God is good and frankly, if you know my stats, you'll understand that this acceptance was a miracle only made possible through Him!
So what are your stats?

Very specifically, by 2/16 by 3 pm, you'll probably have the same date based on their schedule

The questions weren't bad at all, I would just review your experiences and be ready to talk about them. They want to gauge your personality it seems. The worst part was one interviewer was awkwardly to the point and brief lol

Accepted! Interviewed 12/14

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have any advice on how to maybe prep for behavioral questions? Are they pretty "daily" situations that someone would have gone through? Any feedback is greatly appreciated :happy:

Does anyone have any advice on how to maybe prep for behavioral questions? Are they pretty "daily" situations that someone would have gone through? Any feedback is greatly appreciated :happy:

I would suggest just knowing your experiences really well. The questions are based on your own personal experiences. There were definitely moments during my interview that I asked for time to think about how my own experiences can help me better answer the question. I suggest going over your primary and secondary! Hope this helps

There was only one question I really struggled with, I came up with an answer but it wasn't a compelling one in my mind.... Others were much easier. Just review the most common "tell me a time when..." questions and you'll undoubtedly hit them.

Do anybody know if they send out pre-II rejections yet or they wait until the end?

Does that mean not accepted at all or wait listed?

At this point idk, logged back into portal and status changed from "Not Accepted" back to "Admissions Committee Review Complete" not getting my hopes up, assuming will get rejected again.

How much of a focus is there on research at FAU? I know of a few students at CESCOM that worked with PIs at UM during the summer between M1-M2 so I wasn't sure if this was due to less opportunities.

Also, how do students at FAU like the arrangement with the clerkships? Do you ever wish there was a home teaching hospital?
I’m also interested in this. Where do students normally do research? Down in Miami? Affiliate hospitals? Scripps?

I’m also interested in this. Where do students normally do research? Down in Miami? Affiliate hospitals? Scripps?
I asked a bit about this and from what I've told, there are a lot of opportunities. You can do something with Scripps if you like bench work or affiliate hospitals for clinical research. I heard a few people are involved in clinical projects with people from different states remotely. Also, I heard (and have seen) that the faculty has really great connections and can set students up with research opportunities at really awesome places over the summer. I know several people who have gone to big name places in NY and LA to do research.

The above post put it well. I will say you won’t have tons of time for research during the school year. Some people do smaller project remotely or with faculty here. Most of the class does research over the summer. We are really scattered all over the country with people going to Boston, New York, California, Cleveland, or staying around here to work with doctors nearby. The research is really what you want and what you make of it. I would say there are plenty of opportunities.

As for the clerkships, I have not yet experienced this. But you might know we are divided to north and south. South is bigger hospitals around Fort Lauderdale and is probably the more typical clerkship experience. North I hear that because there are fewer students/residents around, you get to do a lot more. It seems like everyone has really good experiences. I’ll have to get some info from the M3s and M4s and get back to you on that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Any thoughts on how filled their class is at this point? Their website says they only interview through February, so I'm wondering if current interviews are mostly for waitlist spots.

Edit: Dug through last year's thread, looks like pretty much all interviewees post-December were waitlisted (at least, those who posted to SDN). Come to think of it, people seem to have been accepted via phone call but on the interview day they told my group that we could just check the portal to find out our status, no mention of phone calls....makes it seem like we aren't even being considered for an actual spot :eyebrow:

Last edited:
Any thoughts on how filled their class is at this point? Their website says they only interview through February, so I'm wondering if current interviews are mostly for waitlist spots.

Edit: Dug through last year's thread, looks like pretty much all interviewees post-December were waitlisted (at least, those who posted to SDN). Come to think of it, people seem to have been accepted via phone call but on the interview day they told my group that we could just check the portal to find out our status, no mention of phone calls....makes it seem like we aren't even being considered for an actual spot :eyebrow:

I interviewed in October and they told us that we would find out through the portal too so don’t count yourself out! I think they even said that they would call if we were accepted, but that the call would come after the portal change (which it did) so the portal would be the quickest way to find out our decision.

I fully believe that no one really interviews for the waitlist unless their waitlist quality to begin with.

People withdraw through the year and they need to be replaced. Those people need to come from interviews after December too.
If FAU is going to accept me they’re going to aces or me

The idea that schools “interview for the waitlist” has been talked about in quite a few threads and is generally considered untrue. It would be a huge waste of resources for the school to continue interviews if they really only planed to put these students on the waitlist. Also just because you don’t see someone accepted on SDN, doesn’t mean no one was. At a small school like this SDN is a very small sample size

I fully believe that no one really interviews for the waitlist unless their waitlist quality to begin with.

People withdraw through the year and they need to be replaced. Those people need to come from interviews after December too.
If FAU is going to accept me they’re going to aces or me

The idea that schools “interview for the waitlist” has been talked about in quite a few threads and is generally considered untrue. It would be a huge waste of resources for the school to continue interviews if they really only planed to put these students on the waitlist. Also just because you don’t see someone accepted on SDN, doesn’t mean no one was. At a small school like this SDN is a very small sample size
I hope you're right! Either way, I know they have large waitlist movement so the waitlist definitely isn't a terrible place to be.

Anyone still have secondary application complete as their status?

Reactions: 2 users
Yep, I guess we aren't being reviewed even though we payed for the app and the extra exam.
I'm pretty sure my portal said this until I got my II. I wouldn't stress what the status says, a lot of schools aren't that good at updating things.

anyone know if they want letters of interest to be emailed or sent as an update on the portal?

anyone know if they want letters of interest to be emailed or sent as an update on the portal?
Update on the portal, I would assume. You can always call and find out for sure though.

Just so I dont forget and for everyone reference a student told me their average step score is 232

Accepted back in October for FAU and for MD/PhD with Scripps in January. Definitely going to attend. So excited to call the beach my home and meet my future my future classmates! :owle::owle:

Just so I don't get a million messages for my stats - 3.3, 3.1 BCPM, 510, top 10 college for undergrad

Accepted back in October for FAU and for MD/PhD with Scripps in January. Definitely going to attend. So excited to call the beach my home and meet my future my future classmates! :owle::owle:

Just so I don't get a million messages for my stats - 3.3, 3.1 BCPM, 510, top 10 college for undergrad
Have you been very productive research wise?

Yes! Co-author on 3 publications, presented three posters at conferences, co-author on several poster abstracts. I've been doing translational research since my senior year of high school and worked full time in a lab after undergrad for 1.5 years.

I asked a bit about this and from what I've told, there are a lot of opportunities. You can do something with Scripps if you like bench work or affiliate hospitals for clinical research. I heard a few people are involved in clinical projects with people from different states remotely. Also, I heard (and have seen) that the faculty has really great connections and can set students up with research opportunities at really awesome places over the summer. I know several people who have gone to big name places in NY and LA to do research.
I am a current M4 at FAU so I figured I could provide some insight.

Being a newer school there are less well-established research apparatus consisting basic science labs and ongoing clinical trials when compared to institutions that have been around longer. This is no surprise. However, there are still tons of projects you can be involved in that range from basic science, clinical outcomes, case reporting, and whatever else. There are basic science labs in the medical school and at Scripps. A lot of research is ongoing at our affiliate hospitals as well. Other research opportunities include ongoing projects with medical/surgical/emergency medicine residents and attendings (I was involved in a few of these and got a number of peer-reviewed publications, one recently in the American Journal of Emergency Medicine). A few of my classmates were also able to land insane research positions at places like Hospital for Special Surgery (#1 ortho hospital in the country). He was able to publish like 20-something peer-reviewed papers and is likely going to match really well in ortho. The one thing I will say is that the surgical research is going to take some time to develop (given the nature of surgical research and the necessity to establish a large surgical department). However, in my time this has been built up as well. In the end, I had 4 peer-reviewed publications, 15 posters, and 4-5 research experiences that were included on my residency application. So there is plenty to go around.

I'm writing this because I realized how awesome FAU was after I interviewed at all these places and other medical students told me how much they hated their medical school. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.