2017-2018 Georgetown University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hopefully it's a good sign.
Well... at a UC I got a similar email but it was from the financial aid office, and I ended up getting rejected lol. Anything can happen tho!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the details about the Second Look event ? I got a call of acceptance this morning, but since it is coming up next week, i wanted to arrange my flight and other things asap. I think the office of admissions is closed today, so i need your help! For those of you who are going, what is the schedule like and do they offer accomodation?

Does anyone know the details about the Second Look event ? I got a call of acceptance this morning, but since it is coming up next week, i wanted to arrange my flight and other things asap. I think the office of admissions is closed today, so i need your help! For those of you who are going, what is the schedule like and do they offer accomodation?

No accommodation offered. I'm staying at DC International Hostel for $35 a night because hotels are expensive af.

It's April 5 from 9:30 to 4:30. Business casual dress.

Got an acceptance this morning too!

Reactions: 5 users
Any accepted students receive financial aid yet?

Any accepted students receive financial aid yet?

Nothing yet for me. On myaccess, the most recent activity on my account was on March 29 saying I have satisfied the information release requirement. My account still shows that I haven't satisfied the personal credit history requirement (which I have sent to them).

In terms of financial aid, does anybody know how generous Gtown is in terms of scholarships/grants (merit or need-base)? Or is there any? I don't recall from my interview day what they said about this.

Does anyone have a rough idea of how much of the GU class matriculates from the waitlist?

Reactions: 6 users
Could anyone hear tell me why Georgetown receives 13,000 applications? This is so high compared to other schools.
If my GPA and MCAT are above the median, will I have a good shot at getting an interview or is it just a crapshoot because there are so many applicants? (I'm asking because I will be applying this upcoming cycle)

Also, is there any bonus for coming from a Jesuit undergrad?

Could anyone hear tell me why Georgetown receives 13,000 applications? This is so high compared to other schools.
If my GPA and MCAT are above the median, will I have a good shot at getting an interview or is it just a crapshoot because there are so many applicants? (I'm asking because I will be applying this upcoming cycle)

If you're well above the median, you do run the risk of getting yield protected. Coming from a Jesuit institution will definitely help though!

You'll be able to write credibly about why you're a good fit for the mission of the school, as you likely know about the service oriented mission of the jesuits. Hopefully you have the service hours to back it up. One admissions person said they look for at least 400 service hours.

I think they get tons of apps because it's a private school that doesn't have insanely high median stats and is in a great location.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone who attended second look day give us waitlisters a summary and overall vibes from the day please?!

Reactions: 4 users

Hi, I came from a Jesuit undergrad and was recently accepted. My MCAT was well above the median but my GPA was actually below it. I think a huge factor in getting an interview was that my personal statement was focused on service and I had a good amount of service hours to back it up. I was able to talk about Jesuit values during the interview as well, so I would definitely say that helps!

accepted applicants - what did your aid package look like?

Was it straight up $90,000 or whatever in loans?

What kinds (ahem, amounts) of scholarships did you get?

Any grants??

accepted applicants - what did your aid package look like?

Was it straight up $90,000 or whatever in loans?

What kinds (ahem, amounts) of scholarships did you get?

Any grants??

$15,000 Med School Grant
$42,700 Stafford
$33,000 Grad PLUS

What are the terms of the med school grant? Is it renewable, or recalculated on an annual basis?

Only thing it says on my account: "Your financial aid award includes a need-based scholarship from the School of Medicine. As a recipient of institutional scholarship funding, you may be contacted by the Office of Advancement to write a letter of acknowledgement to the donor of the scholarship funds."

I'm pretty sure Gtown awards are only for one year - that is, they'll reevaluate your financial status each year and make another offer.

Hey does anyone know the best way to withdraw from a med school? Do you just send a letter to the admissions email?

Hey does anyone know the best way to withdraw from a med school? Do you just send a letter to the admissions email?

Ya. Put the subject as "Withdraw Acceptance" and then write "After careful review of your offer of admission to, I regret to inform you that you have not been selected as my medical school. I'd like to point out to you that this decision relates to the extreme competition for my recruitment, and my decision to not attend has been made after careful review of your school."

lolol...

Ya. Put the subject as "Withdraw Acceptance" and then write "After careful review of your offer of admission to, I regret to inform you that you have not been selected as my medical school. I'd like to point out to you that this decision relates to the extreme competition for my recruitment, and my decision to not attend has been made after careful review of your school."

lolol...
rekt

One of the doctors I work with suggested calling admissions since I am waitlisted to let them know this is my top school. I have already submitted two letters of intent. Does anyone have an idea of whether this would be helpful for me or not?

One of the doctors I work with suggested calling admissions since I am waitlisted to let them know this is my top school. I have already submitted two letters of intent. Does anyone have an idea of whether this would be helpful for me or not?

My PI also suggested calling on my behalf. I thought that in decades past this kind of gesture would be effective, but times have changed. I spoke with an admissions counselor at Georgetown to follow up and see if such a call was even possible, and I learned that Georgetown does not accept these kind of recommendations.

The School of Medicine wants to have a transparent application process where favoritism can be controlled. Documentation is the best way to fulfill this goal. I learned that at committee meetings ancillary communication like what my boss and yours suggested is not considered in admissions decisions.

Keep your head up. The long wait continues.

My PI also suggested calling on my behalf. I thought that in decades past this kind of gesture would be effective, but times have changed. I spoke with an admissions counselor at Georgetown to follow up and see if such a call was even possible, and I learned that Georgetown does not accept these kind of recommendations.

The School of Medicine wants to have a transparent application process where favoritism can be controlled. Documentation is the best way to fulfill this goal. I learned that at committee meetings ancillary communication like what my boss and yours suggested is not considered in admissions decisions.

Keep your head up. The long wait continues.
They could certainly write and submit an additional LOR, although at this point it might be kind of late.

Hey accepted students, where did you find your financial aid awards?

Hey accepted students, where did you find your financial aid awards?

If you go under Pre-Matriculation in your portal, there is an Electronic Credentials tab that has information on how to access it.

Reactions: 1 users
In this particular forum, we tend to like positive comments and constructive criticisms that enable fellow students’ potentials and career goals.

Congrats! How many letters of interest and/or other updates did you submit?
I submitted three updates before my initial decision in October (aggressive lol)
Then one letter of intent and 3 additional updates! (so four updates of the five!)
I sent in my last update yesterday! The content of my updates were research publications, shadowing, and additional service I did throughout the year!

also for those who got off the waitlist, I got a call from the dean but haven't received any e-mails or portal updates yet! Just wanted to check that was normal; he said i would be getting an email later.

I submitted three updates before my initial decision in October (aggressive lol)
Then one letter of intent and 3 additional updates! (so four updates of the five!)
I sent in my last update yesterday! The content of my updates were research publications, shadowing, and additional service I did throughout the year!

also for those who got off the waitlist, I got a call from the dean but haven't received any e-mails or portal updates yet! Just wanted to check that was normal; he said i would be getting an email later.
Haha wow you earned it. Congrats!

I just got off the waitlist today as well!! Interviewed 10/3, WL at the end of November. I sent in one update a month for a total of 4. The last update I sent was on 3/27.

Same thing here, no updates or emails yet but I was told the email was coming soon.

I just got off the waitlist today as well!! Interviewed 10/3, WL at the end of November. I sent in one update a month for a total of 4. The last update I sent was on 3/27.

Same thing here, no updates or emails yet but I was told the email was coming soon.

for WL candidates who were waitlisted later on in the cycle- do you think that we should provide more updates than the suggested 1 a month?

for WL candidates who were waitlisted later on in the cycle- do you think that we should provide more updates than the suggested 1 a month?

I wasn’t waitlisted, but I think that could be a bit excessive.

However, at this point in the cycle, I think it would be a good idea to write a letter of intent if you are on the waitlist. Georgetown is one of the few schools that actually takes these into consideration, and if you are committed to them over any other school where you’ve been waitlisted/accepted, I would def suggest telling them if have not done so already!

The only thing left of Georgetown is its name. When you go on your interview and visit their school, honestly how can you see their facilities as anything more than somewhere in between poor and mediocre at best? Their teaches are not hired because they can teach--I know this from experience--but because they piggybacked off of influential research at some point in their careers. I will say that about half the teachers there are good or better. But the other half of the time you will be listening to the most pretentious people you have ever heard in your life (for example
Carlos A. Suárez-Quian, PhD--literally never in my life have I encountered someone more pretentious than this; it makes it very difficult to listen to. The rest of the poor lot of teachers make the material far more convoluted than necessary and never refer to text in a book bc they like to imagine you need them more than you do (just one example of pretentiousness). You have to listen to every second of their pretentious speech, rather than be able to read a book, and then when they make a mistake they say how difficult it is speaking to people and so on and so forth. Hope you like being herded into an auditorium to take you test, and being given a desk no larger than a binder to hold your computer and writing material for the test on; Georgetown likes to cut costs and maximize profits, and this probably explains their awful teachers, poor facilities, and high tuition. You may go to Georgetown and be able to fool people due to their over-inflated reputation later in career. The truth is though that you will be getting a second rate education, and will be gambling on the school not being exposed for the facade that it is.

Whose mans is this

Reactions: 3 users
The only thing left of Georgetown is its name. When you go on your interview and visit their school, honestly how can you see their facilities as anything more than somewhere in between poor and mediocre at best? Their teaches are not hired because they can teach--I know this from experience--but because they piggybacked off of influential research at some point in their careers. I will say that about half the teachers there are good or better. But the other half of the time you will be listening to the most pretentious people you have ever heard in your life (for example
Carlos A. Suárez-Quian, PhD--literally never in my life have I encountered someone more pretentious than this; it makes it very difficult to listen to. The rest of the poor lot of teachers make the material far more convoluted than necessary and never refer to text in a book bc they like to imagine you need them more than you do (just one example of pretentiousness). You have to listen to every second of their pretentious speech, rather than be able to read a book, and then when they make a mistake they say how difficult it is speaking to people and so on and so forth. Hope you like being herded into an auditorium to take you test, and being given a desk no larger than a binder to hold your computer and writing material for the test on; Georgetown likes to cut costs and maximize profits, and this probably explains their awful teachers, poor facilities, and high tuition. You may go to Georgetown and be able to fool people due to their over-inflated reputation later in career. The truth is though that you will be getting a second rate education, and will be gambling on the school not being exposed for the facade that it is.

>Makes account just to post negative comment dragging Georgetown
>Comment gets deleted
>Reposts pretty much same comment
>Feelssaltyman.jpg

r_118239_qyEnM.gif

I don't know anything about this Carlos guy or anyone else who teaches there. And yes this guy sounds salty af.

But there are some valid points here:

1) it's true that the facilities are outdated

2) it's true that Georgetown costs more than nearly any other US medical school. To be fair, the COA is high both because of location and the tuition.

3) the reputation IS overinflated. Georgetown is a strong program, but it's not a top 10, top 20, top 30, or even top 40. But people are still like "wow, Georgetown!" like it's Harvard or something.

What happened to this guy to make him so pissed that he just wants to trash the school on SDN?

Probably did the post-bacc program there and didn't get in? He knows the faculty which says he's familiar with the school?

Someone doesn't have to be pissed to post negative comments. Especially if, as you said, there is validity to the comments. I suppose you just want to read the marketing posted on the school's website to understand what type of program it is?

Sure, all schools do have a specific image they try to sell. But generally, people don’t come to post negative things when they’re satisfied with the school and it’s practices. You do sound upset, and I’m interested to hear more about what was the big hot botton issue in your experience.

What is your involvement in the school? I’m interested to hear all perspectives, but I’d also appreciate knowing where your perspective is coming from.

Last edited:
Someone doesn't have to be pissed to post negative comments. Especially if, as you said, there is validity to the comments. I suppose you just want to read the marketing posted on the school's website to understand what type of program it is?

Well... you do seem quite upset about something with Georgetown. Your remarks about it are highly inflammatory, as you call the whole program a "facade", describing all professors there as a "poor lot" that only got to where they are at Georgetown by "piggybacking", and only cited one specific example of one specific professor, who I imagine you had some sort of negative experience with, describing him as "pretentious". Are you in the GUSOM? Did you do a post-bacc there? What was your involvement? I really don't think it's a "second-rate institution", and their match list speaks for itself, so if you would like to shed some meaningful light on your spiteful comments that may be more productive to get your point across than simply ranting (if a valid point exists).

You should go to Georgetown. The way you jump to conclusions, you are also pretentious. And then you bs to try to rationalize it. You'd be perfect for that school. "Hot bottom issue". Tell me your background so I make sure you're never my doctor

*dont engage the troll, don’t engage the troll, don’t engage the troll*

I just think it’s funny that you’re calling ppl upset and pretentious for jumping to conclusions while you’re clearly the most upset person in this thread and have jumped to conclusions by calling ppl pretentious.

@Henry Tidworth , unless you're writing to inform us that you are a white male withdrawing your acceptance, I don't think you and me are going to have too much to talk about.

Reactions: 5 users
You should go to Georgetown. The way you jump to conclusions, you are also pretentious. And then you bs to try to rationalize it. You'd be perfect for that school. "Hot bottom issue". Tell me your background so I make sure you're never my doctor

I’m pretentious because I want to know what is the primary reason you dislike Georgetown. Ok, makes sense. Lol

next time say you're homosexual; they like this (maybe have one on the committee) Seriously though. Or just call up say you just came out the closet and thought they should know, if you have the fortitude. Unfortunately It's too late for me to withdraw my acceptance, 2 years in now. Live and learn, but I guess my knowledge can't be passed on to some. Hope they don't get their certification withdrawn before I get my res placement, not that it would matter bc im grandfathered in but it just looks bad, and yes if they (forget what this organization is called) look closely this could really happen to GU

@Mr. Tidworth , next time say you're a loser that blames all of his failures on others. It gets results.

Reactions: 2 users
what a nerd, too many posts to be premed; more studying guy, and maybe you will get in

Mmk so you’re posting on a premed forum so calling us premeds isn’t a great insult. Don’t need to qualify myself. Sounds like you’re profoundly unhappy and I hope you find help for whatever it is that is going on.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone! I'm new to SDN but am looking for a little advice.

I interviewed at Georgetown on 9/25, waitlisted back in early november. Sent in 1 letter right after my interview and then 4 after my waitlist decision. I've been frantically checked the portal hoping for any sort of a change and today I noticed that under the Status tab where it says "Application Complete" it says "Your application is under review."

Idk if anyone else's says that too and if it's a good sign!? Probably reading too much into it but I can't help it hahaha