2017-2018 Georgetown University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It was my first interview of the cycle, and I was honestly surprised at how laid back it was. The interviews were conducted in the afternoon, which has its pros and cons. Good= you get to learn a lot about the school prior to the actual interview, that way you can ask questions and really understand what the school is all about before sitting in the interview chair. Bad= you spend from 8am-1pm worrying about the actual interview. But I can ensure you that you have nothing to worry about. My interview was very conversational. You will either be paired with a physician/faculty member or 4th year medical student. They know what you're like on paper, and now the admissions committee wants to get to know you more as a person. My interview basically had nothing to do with the content on my application- it was merely a general conversation about healthcare. Super low-stress (although my interviewer did not have AC in his office so the sweat was real hahah). The students are all very nice and welcoming. The school as a whole is very upfront and honest, which I loved. They pretty much tell you how much debt to expect, and if you don't think that you're a good fit at Georgetown, then don't waste your time or the schools time- find a school that is the best fit for you. Do not go to a school because of the name. Go to a school that has an ideal learning environment for you.
Thank you sooo much!!! I really appreciate your input and advice!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck to everyone applying this year (and especially those currently waiting in limbo)!
I too was in your shoes last year checking email everyday... For those looking for a bit of a timeline, here was mine:
Submitted secondary 8/31, II 12/1, interview 1/14, waitlist 2/6, update & LOI 3/17, update 4/17 and accepted 5/2.

I saw some questions about the new curriculum: First year is now in 8 week blocks with 3+1 (more on this in a sec) tests afterwards (coming up in three weeks *gulp*) as opposed to a test every other week (old curriculum). It's.... a lot, but no one said med school would be easy. 3 tests are pre-clinical sciences (biochem, neuro, pharm, embryology, etc.). Anatomy doesn't start until block 2.
(About that +1) By the end of the first block we are also being tested on an entire physical evaluation (45 minutes) on a healthy patient (actor) with a write up (15 minutes) documenting findings.
Once a week (yes, starting the second day of school) you meet with a small group and interview patients in the hospital. This is pretty unique to Georgetown and they are VERY proud about the early clinical exposure.

If anyone has any questions you can PM me or post here.

FWIW: I remember being you, I also remember receiving plenty of rejections. It only takes one, do not get discouraged!
(Also, pulling for you Dwayne Johnson and all other reapps, the process once was enough. Props on staying strong. You will make fantastic doctors in the future)

Your timeline reads like the description of a medieval torture implement, except for pre-meds in the 21st century.

Reactions: 5 users
Also: any MD/MBAs out there currently stressing about the GMAT/GRE?! I wish the MCAT alone was enough for acceptance into the business program... ):

Members don't see this ad :)
You should apply! I can't believe I'm writing this, but I received a II today with eerily similar stats.
cGPA - 3.24
BCPM - 3.86
MCAT - 512 126/130/128/128
No Masters
Worked on clinical researcher studies the past 4 years. I had a previous career in video production...WHAT IS LIFE?

That's all to say if it happened for me it certainly can happen for you.

Wait this is realllly weird (I know I'm late to the game here) but I have also nearly identical stats! Except I do have a Masters. Who knew there were so many former film nerds turned clinical researchers in the applicant pool???

Reactions: 1 user
Is it too late to submit a secondary here? I have been waiting for my second MCAT score to be released which comes out on Sep 26th.

II 9/19
sent a letter on 9/17
complete 7/10

first available interview was 10/31

Good luck to everyone applying this year (and especially those currently waiting in limbo)!
I too was in your shoes last year checking email everyday... For those looking for a bit of a timeline, here was mine:
Submitted secondary 8/31, II 12/1, interview 1/14, waitlist 2/6, update & LOI 3/17, update 4/17 and accepted 5/2.

I saw some questions about the new curriculum: First year is now in 8 week blocks with 3+1 (more on this in a sec) tests afterwards (coming up in three weeks *gulp*) as opposed to a test every other week (old curriculum). It's.... a lot, but no one said med school would be easy. 3 tests are pre-clinical sciences (biochem, neuro, pharm, embryology, etc.). Anatomy doesn't start until block 2.
(About that +1) By the end of the first block we are also being tested on an entire physical evaluation (45 minutes) on a healthy patient (actor) with a write up (15 minutes) documenting findings.
Once a week (yes, starting the second day of school) you meet with a small group and interview patients in the hospital. This is pretty unique to Georgetown and they are VERY proud about the early clinical exposure.

If anyone has any questions you can PM me or post here.

FWIW: I remember being you, I also remember receiving plenty of rejections. It only takes one, do not get discouraged!
(Also, pulling for you Dwayne Johnson and all other reapps, the process once was enough. Props on staying strong. You will make fantastic doctors in the future)
My experience was there was little to no rhyme or reason to the order you would receive interviews/acceptances. The quickest I heard back was receiving an acceptance ten days after one interview and the latest was 8 weeks after another... Georgetown gets 13,000 applicants and 11,000 secondaries. If you haven't heard anything, you're just still in the pile. Hang tight.

If you did something that GREATLY strengthens your application (had research published, took a new job, etc.) I would update them. If it's more of the same, I would not. It won't make you move up the pile.

What is the consensus on updates pre-II? I just recently began scribing for a non-profit that works with underprivileged, specifically those with no insurance, and I believe it strengthens my app as the only other real clinical experience I have is volunteering in a hospital for 3 years. I am unsure if Georgetown is receptive to updates pre-II and I have 3 papers in the works that I'm hoping will be ready to go and accepted by Jan-Feb, at the latest. Should I do one large update?

What is the consensus on updates pre-II? I just recently began scribing for a non-profit that works with underprivileged, specifically those with no insurance, and I believe it strengthens my app as the only other real clinical experience I have is volunteering in a hospital for 3 years. I am unsure if Georgetown is receptive to updates pre-II and I have 3 papers in the works that I'm hoping will be ready to go and accepted by Jan-Feb, at the latest. Should I do one large update?
Idk but that sounds like a great activity!

For the secondary essay on why Georgetown, did you guys utilize a proper essay structure or few paragraph style would be okay?

Members don't see this ad :)
It was my first interview of the cycle, and I was honestly surprised at how laid back it was. The interviews were conducted in the afternoon, which has its pros and cons. Good= you get to learn a lot about the school prior to the actual interview, that way you can ask questions and really understand what the school is all about before sitting in the interview chair. Bad= you spend from 8am-1pm worrying about the actual interview. But I can ensure you that you have nothing to worry about. My interview was very conversational. You will either be paired with a physician/faculty member or 4th year medical student. They know what you're like on paper, and now the admissions committee wants to get to know you more as a person. My interview basically had nothing to do with the content on my application- it was merely a general conversation about healthcare. Super low-stress (although my interviewer did not have AC in his office so the sweat was real hahah). The students are all very nice and welcoming. The school as a whole is very upfront and honest, which I loved. They pretty much tell you how much debt to expect, and if you don't think that you're a good fit at Georgetown, then don't waste your time or the schools time- find a school that is the best fit for you. Do not go to a school because of the name. Go to a school that has an ideal learning environment for you.
Similar stats, but applied mid August. You give me hope. Best wishes.

It was pretty much a cover letter + CV.
How did you make this different than your primary/secondary? Did you have a lot of updates? I have one update about a course I'm taking but I don't think that's enough to justify updating them to try and get an II...

I interviewed here last week. The A.C. was not working properly in the Fish Bowl, so if you are a woman, I would opt for a skirt suit or dress suit if you have one. Georgetown gave us many opportunities to speak with students, and the students were incredibly friendly and upfront about the school, as someone said above. My interview was a little tough (I was asked some tricky ethical questions). My interviewer had not looked at any aspect of my application before I walked in the door. Overall, it ended up being a good interview, in my opinion. I would not stress out too much about it. You will probably be asked the Why Georgetown and Why medicine question, so prepare for that.
Thank you so much for your input!! My interview is not until mid October, but I should probably start preparing for it!

Where did you send this letter to? Or was it a post-submission update on the portal?

How did you make this different than your primary/secondary? Did you have a lot of updates? I have one update about a course I'm taking but I don't think that's enough to justify updating them to try and get an II...

Did you write the cover letter as a letter of interest? Was it a lot different than your "Why Georgetown" secondary essay? Thanks man, congrats

Thank you!
Still hard to believe...

A cover letter is, partially, a letter of interest, isn't it? I thought about saying
It was a letter of interest + cover letter
but then realized that a cover letter is pretty much just
why you want it + why you are fit for it. ?
It was not a lot different.

It was not really an update - just my Why Georgetown and my story, distilled into a single page.

I imagine it just spurred them into looking/re-looking at my application.

I sent it via email. They replied instructing to submit it on the post-submission update tab in the portal and that they do not accept email updates, as noted in their Guide to Application.
They sent the II a day later, and I uploaded the letter, reworded a bit, to the portal that night.

Thank you!
Still hard to believe...

A cover letter is, partially, a letter of interest, isn't it? I thought about saying

It was not really an update - just my Why Georgetown and my story, distilled into a single page.

I sent it via email. They replied instructing to submit it on the post-submission update tab in the portal and that they do not accept email updates, as noted in their Guide to Application.
They sent the II a day later, and I uploaded the letter, reworded a bit, to the portal that night.
Thank for that explanation! But don't we already have an essay for 'why Georgetown'?

Thank you!
Still hard to believe...

That's awesome, you must be super excited. Would you at all mind sharing your stats?

That's awesome, you must be super excited. Would you at all mind sharing your stats?

Thank you, yes, way beyond excited. It's been a long time coming....

3.16 college GPA

31 MCAT, 2013

3.97 master's GPA

523 MCAT, 2017

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you, yes, way beyond excited. It's been a long time coming....

3.16 college GPA

31 MCAT, 2013

3.97 master's GPA

523 MCAT, 2017
We have really similar stats for college GPA, MCAT and Master's GPA! My collage GPA is a bit higher and new MCAT a little lower but overall really similar! You have really given me the motivation at this point!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
We have really similar stats! My collage GPA is a bit higher and new MCAT a little lower but overall really similar! You have really given me the motivation at this point!

Awesome MCAT score! Thanks for sharing

^^your new MCAT score got you the interview, not the letter

We have really similar stats for college GPA, MCAT and Master's GPA! My collage GPA is a bit higher and new MCAT a little lower but overall really similar! You have really given me the motivation at this point!

Impressive improvement!

Rejected just now :/ LM ~75, complete 7/10. Happy Friday, and best of luck to everyone still in the hunt!

Nothing says happy Friday like a rejection. LizzyM 68, OOS, complete 7/10

Rejection! At least they give it to you on a Friday. :laugh:

Good luck to everyone still in the running!

Anybody whose completion date is after 7/10 get rejected?

Last edited:
App has been in review for about 2-3 weeks so far. Submitted 8/3 so hopefully thats not a bad sign that its been in review for so long.

Just interviewed here Wednesday(09/20/2017). The interviews were really easy, however while I was interviewing I missed the explanation of thank you letters. Does anyone know where we send these to, or to whom? And also how we are supposed to do that? I emailed Georgetown admissions and they said in the AMP portal I can upload a file yet haven't been able to find anywhere to upload to

Just interviewed here Wednesday(09/20/2017). The interviews were really easy, however while I was interviewing I missed the explanation of thank you letters. Does anyone know where we send these to, or to whom? And also how we are supposed to do that? I emailed Georgetown admissions and they said in the AMP portal I can upload a file yet haven't been able to find anywhere to upload to

There's a section at the top of the page where you select like "secondary app" and "interview" and it says "post secondary update". I believe that is the place to post it they are referring to!

DISCLAIMER: I have no idea but it sounds like that's what they've said to do. If you end up calling post back here :)

Anyone else complete 7/10 and still not hear anything?