2017-2018 Liberty University (LUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-DO mods (AlteredScale, bacchus, or chizledfrmstone) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received at 3:00 AM on Wednesday morning.... I'm grateful and curious haha

Reactions: 1 user
II invite at 3:06 am. I can't schedule a date on the website yet because it keeps crashing.

Wow, II were sent out very quickly. For everyone who received II invitations, please indicate your when primary sent, secondary and stats?

Primary 6/15, Secondary 6/22, 498/503 MCAT, 3.56 GPA, Average/Good EC's

II at 0'dark thirty last night. Primary 6/15, secondary 6/20, II 6/24.

Primary 6/15. Secondary 6/23. II a little past midnight on 6/27! :)
3.36 GPA, 501 MCAT. Non-trad, extensive volunteer work, missions experience.​

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Primary 6/15. Secondary 6/23. II a little past midnight on 6/27! :)
3.36 GPA, 501 MCAT. Non-trad, extensive volunteer work, missions experience.​
Congratulations! Would you be willing to post the secondary questions? I am trying to prewrite my secondaries while I await my mcat scores

Congratulations! Would you be willing to post the secondary questions? I am trying to prewrite my secondaries while I await my mcat scores

Thanks! Here are the prompts.

In 250-500 words, please describe how your personal faith, beliefs, or values will allow you to contribute to LUCOM's mission, goals and values to develop Christ-centered servant leaders for the osteopathic medical profession.

In 250-500 words, please describe your personal motivation to practice osteopathic medicine.

@AlteredScale

Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone, I'll be a first year here in a couple of weeks. A year ago I was in your shoes. Let me know if you have any questions about what lies ahead for LUCOM.

Good luck!

Hey everyone, I'll be a first year here in a couple of weeks. A year ago I was in your shoes. Let me know if you have any questions about what lies ahead for LUCOM.

Good luck!

Exciting! Thanks for posting on here...
By your knowledge, how are the dynamics of Lynchburg overall? Friendly? Decent amount of things to do?
Also, why did you end up choosing LUCOM? :)

thanks in advance!

Thanks! Here are the prompts.

In 250-500 words, please describe how your personal faith, beliefs, or values will allow you to contribute to LUCOM's mission, goals and values to develop Christ-centered servant leaders for the osteopathic medical profession.

In 250-500 words, please describe your personal motivation to practice osteopathic medicine.

@AlteredScale

Best of luck to everyone!
What was your interview like?

Also about to be a first year here, scrambling to get everything ready but feel free to ask me things as well as PM me for any questions you rather ask me off the thread!

Exciting! Thanks for posting on here...
By your knowledge, how are the dynamics of Lynchburg overall? Friendly? Decent amount of things to do?
Also, why did you end up choosing LUCOM? :)

thanks in advance!

Of course! Lynchburg is awesome. There's a ton to do and everything you could hope for as far as food. (I love food.) Apparently the closest legit shopping mall is an hour away but that's not big for me so that doesn't bother me. Everything I would get at a mall I order online anyway. But Lynchburg does have adequate shopping in my opinion. Just not a huge mall. The city is also a lot bigger than I had anticipated before visiting/moving here. It doesn't feel like a big city but there are quite a few people and lots to do especially outdoors. The climate is mild year round with lots of trails and close lakes and mountains. Everyone has also been super friendly as well. It's almost been "fishy" how friendly everyone is.

I chose LUCOM because I felt the most comfortable/welcome there. For me, location didn't matter much for me personally because the number one thing I was focusing on was how the school specifically would feel since most of my time will be spent there. From the very beginning of my interview day I felt right at home and every student I spoke with genuinely was having a great experience there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Be advised: LUCOM is a Christian school. You should be comfortable with that fact if you receive an II and are accepted. I did not mention religion during my interview there nor did my interviewer. If you really want in, you must talk up your Christian faith and all that jazz.

Be advised: LUCOM is a Christian school. You should be comfortable with that fact if you receive an II and are accepted. I did not mention religion during my interview there nor did my interviewer. If you really want in, you must talk up your Christian faith and all that jazz.

I never really thought that as something I had to talk up. I did not mention religion at all during my interview at all, in fact I talked to people directly stating the exact opposite, that I was not of a religious faith at this point in time, and I even questioned how much religion really comes into the classes, and they were completely fine with that. The thing we talked up was that I had a connection with each of my interviewers. One was from the same undergrad university and another was from my home state, so it as actually nice talking with them.

That being said, YayPudding does have a point. LUCOM is a Christian school and it is something you should take into consideration if you're not comfortable with the fact. I know some people who never want to set foot into any kind of school with a religious history in it ever again. However, something I did note when I was there for my interview is that they really do mean it when they say that their medical school classes have been very diverse in terms of who they have taken in.

Honestly, if you get an II and you are interested in the school, go take the interview and take all the strife that people have been talking about on SDN with a grain of salt. Talk with people, ask questions (and I mean ask plenty of questions, you don't want to come into the school not knowing what you're coming into), and generally go in with eyes open. If you go in expecting a closed off community, that's all you're going to see no matter how welcoming the actual people are.

Reactions: 4 users
Also about to be a first year here, scrambling to get everything ready but feel free to ask me things as well as PM me for any questions you rather ask me off the thread!
Do you know the most common apartments students live in? I would like to scout some places during the weekend of my interview.

I never really thought that as something I had to talk up. I did not mention religion at all during my interview at all, in fact I talked to people directly stating the exact opposite, that I was not of a religious faith at this point in time, and I even questioned how much religion really comes into the classes, and they were completely fine with that. The thing we talked up was that I had a connection with each of my interviewers. One was from the same undergrad university and another was from my home state, so it as actually nice talking with them.

That being said, YayPudding does have a point. LUCOM is a Christian school and it is something you should take into consideration if you're not comfortable with the fact. I know some people who never want to set foot into any kind of school with a religious history in it ever again. However, something I did note when I was there for my interview is that they really do mean it when they say that their medical school classes have been very diverse in terms of who they have taken in.

Honestly, if you get an II and you are interested in the school, go take the interview and take all the strife that people have been talking about on SDN with a grain of salt. Talk with people, ask questions (and I mean ask plenty of questions, you don't want to come into the school not knowing what you're coming into), and generally go in with eyes open. If you go in expecting a closed off community, that's all you're going to see no matter how welcoming the actual people are.

I really like this. Christianity is all about loving other people and being welcoming is part of this. (Although some people, as with any religion, may give Christians a bad name). My faith is the most important thing in my life! So of course, one of the main reasons I am applying at LUCOM is because its a Christian school. Happy to hear it's the opposite of "closed off", embraces diversity (or is at least trying to be this way)

Reactions: 3 users
:uhno: Don't you love it when after the fact you find a typo... lol, after submitting the secondary and looking back on my essay I realize I had two "to"s at one point

Check your writing peeps!!!

Do you know the most common apartments students live in? I would like to scout some places during the weekend of my interview.

As a disclaimer, I'm not the most aware of apartments that others live in, but I noticed a lot of people mentioning apartments in downtown Lynchburg, as well as apartment complexes that are at most 10-15 minutes away from campus, if you want PM me and I can toss over specific names. There's no real solid answer as to where we live commonly because truthfully it seems like everyone lives everywhere, some with families even rent out townhouses and things like that.

I can however tell you one thing. The Vue (usually Cornerstone or Oasis, they have 3 locations), which is both an undergrad and graduate housing option, is an option you may hear from people or even spot from afar but be sure to take into consideration that undergraduates will NOT remember that you're a medical school student who needs peace and quiet and things of that sort. If its what you want either way go for it but just be careful.

Reactions: 1 users
I interview in August ;)
Oh great, what is the earliest and latest date that they let you schedule an interview for?
edit: just submitted secondary yesterday so hopefully I get some luhhhve in the next few days haha

Oh great, what is the earliest and latest date that they let you schedule an interview for?
edit: just submitted secondary yesterday so hopefully I get some luhhhve in the next few days haha

Yay I'm excited for you! :) I believe the earliest was 8/17 and the latest has been 8/25 so far.

As a disclaimer, I'm not the most aware of apartments that others live in, but I noticed a lot of people mentioning apartments in downtown Lynchburg, as well as apartment complexes that are at most 10-15 minutes away from campus, if you want PM me and I can toss over specific names. There's no real solid answer as to where we live commonly because truthfully it seems like everyone lives everywhere, some with families even rent out townhouses and things like that.

I can however tell you one thing. The Vue (usually Cornerstone or Oasis, they have 3 locations), which is both an undergrad and graduate housing option, is an option you may hear from people or even spot from afar but be sure to take into consideration that undergraduates will NOT remember that you're a medical school student who needs peace and quiet and things of that sort. If its what you want either way go for it but just be careful.
Yay I'm excited for you! :) I believe the earliest was 8/17 and the latest has been 8/25 so far.
Thank you! They seemed to have gotten back to you after you submitted your secondary in like 1-2 business days..impressive

I am Monday 8/14. I don't think there is anything earlier.

Has anyone received an II that submitted their secondary Sunday or later?

I second Phoenixsflame in that religion didn't come up in my interviews. I've heard several people who didn't get accepted say something similar to what YayPudding said but that simply just isn't true. Liberty is a Christian university but it definitely wasn't thrown in our face or forced into my interviews. I can't speak to all other interviews but mine were really casual, laid back, and didn't center on religion or Christianity for that matter.

If you don't mind posting, what dates are you all interviewing? Would be cool to meet some of you guys!

Interviewing on 14 AUG

Is it something I completely missed or are all DO schools way on top of the game this year with how fast things are moving!?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

first interview invite of the cycle! letsssssss goooo
schedules for 8/21

Yeah this isn't true at all. Sounds like someone is a little bitter. LUCOM could care less what your religious affiliation is as long as you act professionally, are a good person, and aren't actively fighting against the mission of the university.

Yeah this isn't true at all. Sounds like someone is a little bitter. LUCOM could care less what your religious affiliation is as long as you act professionally, are a good person, and aren't actively fighting against the mission of the university.
I was rejected post interview at Liberty and accepted at some of the oldest and finest DO schools in the country. Just saying.

I was rejected post interview at Liberty and accepted at some of the oldest and finest DO schools in the country. Just saying.

Congrats on your acceptances!

Last edited:
Just received interview day schedule email.