2017-2018 Liberty University (LUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do any current students remember whether their financial aide refund was processed prior to classes starting for first year or after the start of classes?

A few weeks after classes start is when you get the $$. There was an option to get a little bit early. I would email the Financial Aid office and ask.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone, here are the class numbers as of last week:
161/162 spots are currently filled & paid for
10 more have been accepted
35 have been placed on a preferred waitlist
~50 more are on the extended waitlist

I know that they are doing everything possible to get everyone that has been accepted a spot, but there will be movement as we draw closer to matriculation. Last year, three people pulled out during the week of orientation, so it's not unheard of to come in a little closer to the date. If you're willing to draw it that close and make it work, just reach out to the ADCOM and let them know of your availability.
For those of you that have not been accepted and are on the waitlist, I would encourage you to apply again, as the application cycle has opened up to start on your primaries. If you want some help with your application, or if you have any other concerns, don't hesitate to contact me.

This might be an ignorant question, but who comprises the preferred waitlist? I'm now wondering whether or not I'm on the preferred or extended.

Side note--It doesn't matter if it's the day of classes and I get a phone call that I've been accepted. I loved LUCOM during the interview, so I'd hop on a flight immediately if I'm accepted!!

Members don't see this ad :)
This might be an ignorant question, but who comprises the preferred waitlist? I'm now wondering whether or not I'm on the preferred or extended.

Side note--It doesn't matter if it's the day of classes and I get a phone call that I've been accepted. I loved LUCOM during the interview, so I'd hop on a flight immediately if I'm accepted!!

I don't think any of us students would know who's on what, or how they choose people for each list. Sorry. :(

Reactions: 1 user
is there a facebook page? I wanna start finding potential housemates

LUCOM received "full accreditation" today from COCA.
This isn't true, I am pretty sure their website states that they wont be eligible for full accreditation until 2021 but they were promoted to "initial accreditation" (from "provisional accreditation") on May10, 2018. Nonetheless, all signs clearly point to LUCOM meeting the requirements for full accreditation prior to the graduating class of 2022.

Having a hard time seeing when the first day of classes is on the website. Does anyone know?

Is this school pretty OOS friendly? I'm contemplating applying this cycle.

I’d say so. There seems to be a good mix of regions represented on here, the Facebook class page, and during the interviews.

I interviewed last september and we had 1/3 from VA and 2/3 from elsewhere. I think they accept a fair number from the west coast. Many are from california.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can concur! Our year I can name a quite a few from California, New Jersey, New York, etc.
Also our first year is done, we are free zombies and available for any questions for anyone incoming or anyone who is thinking of applying.

Can concur! Our year I can name a quite a few from California, New Jersey, New York, etc.
Also our first year is done, we are free zombies and available for any questions for anyone incoming or anyone who is thinking of applying.

Any advice for the incoming OMSI class?

Just withdrew from the wait list. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Any advice for the incoming OMSI class?

Anything in particular you want to know? As a whole I would say come knowing that you will be frustrated at the idea that your test grades will not be as high as you're used to, and work hard from that baseline.

As a more lighthearted bit of advice, get to know your classmates as well as us, and know that everyone here has your back :)

Reactions: 1 users
Does LUCOM require a DO letter? or is it recommended? I am getting conflicted info on their website.

This isn't true, I am pretty sure their website states that they wont be eligible for full accreditation until 2021 but they were promoted to "initial accreditation" (from "provisional accreditation") on May10, 2018. Nonetheless, all signs clearly point to LUCOM meeting the requirements for full accreditation prior to the graduating class of 2022.

I have to respectfully disagree. My understanding is that initial accreditation is the same as full accreditation, they are just noting the fact that this is the initial granting of that accreditation. I also believe that initial accreditation is the default status given to a school that meets all the criteria for full accreditation, however their inaugural class has not graduated. At the time of that press release, c/o 2018 had not graduated. Now we have. That was really the final piece of the puzzle.

I am not sure where you came up with the 2021 date-I haven’t seen that anywhere.

If you want further confirmation, look at the COCA website on their May 2018 updates, where they indicate that LUCOM progressed from pre-accreditation status to accreditation status.

Accreditation Decisions for Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine

About: Accreditation | College Of Osteopathic Medicine | Liberty University

Last edited:
question to current students --- i was reading the course descriptions for M1's and it looks like BFOM is the first course we do for about 6 weeks... does this mean we only take this course along with one or two other classes, move on to the next system, do that for a few weeks, and then move on to the next, etc? There's a lot of courses in one year (esp in spring semester) and I am wondering how many classes we take at one time. Thanks in advance!

question to current students --- i was reading the course descriptions for M1's and it looks like BFOM is the first course we do for about 6 weeks... does this mean we only take this course along with one or two other classes, move on to the next system, do that for a few weeks, and then move on to the next, etc? There's a lot of courses in one year (esp in spring semester) and I am wondering how many classes we take at one time. Thanks in advance!
Technically 4 at a time

1 is biomedical sciences and are in 4 or 6 week blocks and go from system to system
1 is OMM lecture/lab once a week
1 is PCM lecture/lab once a week
1 is medical ethics once a month.

OMM has a midterm and final/practical, PCM has a final and standardized patients, and HME only has a final. These class are continuous through the semester though but follow along with the system that you biomedical class is covering.

All fall biomedical classes are 6 weeks. Neuro is the only 6 week biomedical class in the spring, the rest are 4 weeks.

Does that help?

Reactions: 2 users
Technically 4 at a time

1 is biomedical sciences and are in 4 or 6 week blocks and go from system to system
1 is OMM lecture/lab once a week
1 is PCM lecture/lab once a week
1 is medical ethics once a month.

OMM has a midterm and final/practical, PCM has a final and standardized patients, and HME only has a final. These class are continuous through the semester though but follow along with the system that you biomedical class is covering.

All fall biomedical classes are 6 weeks. Neuro is the only 6 week biomedical class in the spring, the rest are 4 weeks.

Does that help?
Absolutely, thank you!!

So would everyone recommend waiting to purchase textbooks or not buying them at all? Having them online and most being from the power points seems pointless to buy them.

So would everyone recommend waiting to purchase textbooks or not buying them at all? Having them online and most being from the power points seems pointless to buy them.

Also when do you guys receive the laptops provided by the school? In addition, does anyone know which laptops the school will be providing for the incoming students this year?

I know orientation has a dress code, but is there one for attending classes?? I hear other med schools allow students to wear gym clothes/flip flops to class but is Liberty more strict in dress code even when it comes to lecture?

Also when do you guys receive the laptops provided by the school? In addition, does anyone know which laptops the school will be providing for the incoming students this year?

We got ours during orientation week, and I'm guessing they will be doing the same this year as well unless they changed things up!

Unfortunately we're not sure what laptops they will be providing. They changed it between us and the class above us so it could be changing again depending, sorry not to have anything more!

I know orientation has a dress code, but is there one for attending classes?? I hear other med schools allow students to wear gym clothes/flip flops to class but is Liberty more strict in dress code even when it comes to lecture?

Same dress code all the time, business casual. There are Jeans Days every so often that will have us be in jeans for certain occasions or we can pay a couple dollars that will then go to a cause that the Jeans Day is funding. Hope this helps!

For the volunteer experiences part, did y'all just copy what was on your primary app?

Is it a must to have a D.O recommendation for this school? I just submitted my secondary for the 2018-2019 cycle, and I have 5 recommendations (one of which is MD) but I can't seem to find a D.O who responds to their email or phone.

Sorry to post again, but I just needed to apologize to those that interviewed today. Some of you weren't able to see the anatomy lab on our tour due to an exam that was taking place. I promised to show you around the lab after your interview day, but I think I got out of the exam too late, as you were all gone. Just an FYI, I did not bail on you! Please message me if you have any questions, concerns, threats, etc. about your interview or beyond!
Do you think they will give me a chance if I am Muslim?

Is Oasis the only apartment that has shuttles to LUCOM?

Is Oasis the only apartment that has shuttles to LUCOM?

At the moment, i think so. Maybe one of the 1st or 2nd years could chime in, but i know Oasis shuttles and ofcourse if you live on campus you can shuddle up the mountain.