2017-2018 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine - Arizona Campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Though we all know that USNWR has its own biases and don't matter much...out of curiosity, does anyone know if Mayo (AZ) will be separately ranked? (Asking after the buzz from the MN thread about this year's rankings placing Mayo at 6th...does this matter for AZ at all?)

Members don't see this ad.

Though we all know that USNWR has its own biases and don't matter much...out of curiosity, does anyone know if Mayo (AZ) will be separately ranked? (Asking after the buzz from the MN thread about this year's rankings placing Mayo at 6th...does this matter for AZ at all?)

No - since it’s one school with multiple campuses, the ranking is shared by MN/AZ/FL. It will still say Rochester for location of the school on the rankings because that’s the headquarters. Similarly, Harvard has multiple (undergrad) campuses, classroom buildings, etc., some of which are farther west in Massachusetts, but they’re included in rankings and the location of the school still says Cambridge.

The hospitals are ranked separately (dif administration and physicians, specialties & resources etc), but the schools are all one central school with basically satellite classroom buildings.

No - since it’s one school with multiple campuses, the ranking is shared by MN/AZ/FL. It will still say Rochester for location of the school on the rankings because that’s the headquarters. Similarly, Harvard has multiple (undergrad) campuses, classroom buildings, etc., some of which are farther west in Massachusetts, but they’re included in rankings and the location of the school still says Cambridge.

The hospitals are ranked separately (dif administration and physicians, specialties & resources etc), but the schools are all one central school with basically satellite classroom buildings.
I think you're mistaken--Harvard doesn't have multiple undergrad campuses. The undergraduate college is the city of Cambridge. There aren't any campus building west of that. Even outside of the undergrad college, all different schools are congregated in their respective cities only pretty much. That's why for US News medical school rankings it says Harvard is in Boston, MA (since facilities are in Longwood) and for the college rankings it says Harvard is in Cambridge, MA.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone get merit aid without submitting FAFSA? I know parents’ income is too high but holding out hope for some aid

There will just be the 1 US news rank for Mayo, as we are accredited by the LCME as 1 single medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
We got an email this morning from our dean stating that they tried to get USN to take the state off of the listing, but apparently USN insisted on keeping it because the LCME lists our headquarters as Minnesota.

Last edited:
Anyone get merit aid without submitting FAFSA? I know parents’ income is too high but holding out hope for some aid

Most schools require FAFSA data to award any institutional money. I would just complete it even if you expect to get nothing.

Just got the email with the link for tomorrow’s webcast of the second look. Any idea how long the second look will last?

EDIT: Got the follow up email with the attached program schedule.

Last edited:
Just got the email with the link for tomorrow’s webcast of the second look. Any idea how long the second look will last?

EDIT: Got the follow up email with the attached program schedule.
I'm on the WL and those emails just about gave me a heart attack :p

Reactions: 4 users
I would love to know what an unranked WL means.. as far as how they decide who comes off?

I would love to know what an unranked WL means.. as far as how they decide who comes off?

So I have absolutely no inside knowledge of this at Mayo specifically, but I have heard that SOME schools look for a roughly equivalent replacement for students who decide not to attend. For example if the guy with the 3.7 GPA and 515 MCAT who's from the Northwest, interested in primary care, and plays the tuba decides not to come, they'll look at the wait list for some one with similar statistics and interests to those.

Again, no idea if Mayo does this, but I know for sure Stanford and Harvard do and I can't think of any other ways one would run an unranked wait list.

Withdrew. To those waitlisted in this thread, I hope my spot goes to one of you. To Mayo, if it's any consolation, you were highly ranked bro.
KILLA_T OUT.

Reactions: 11 users
Withdrew. To those waitlisted in this thread, I hope my spot goes to one of you. To Mayo, if it's any consolation, you were highly ranked bro.
KILLA_T OUT.
Bless you :angelic:

Members don't see this ad :)
Legit thought I came off the waitlist last night with those two emails from Susan

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
KILLA_T OUT.
Killa T, congrats on killin it this cycle bro. Just out of curiosity, did you end up choosing UCSF?

How many people attended second look this year? Last year it was ~30ish

I watched the livestream for second look and Im pretty sure they said 42 people attended this year. They also said that there are around 60 people holding onto acceptances if that helps in any way.
42? Wow that’s impressive for ~60 acceptances

Wondering if any current students could comment on how many hours a week are spent on mandatory activities (lectures, mandatory afternoon activities, etc) on average?

Search my username in this thread, I wrote a long post on this. The short answer is minimum 15 - 25 hours depending on the week.

For those that went, how was second look?

When I interviewed they said they were planning on initially accepting 73 for 50 spots.

The financial aid guy mentioned it lol said some of us were gonna have to drop. Don't think we were suppose to know
Michigan over subscribed last year and had to offer scholarships for students to take a gap year. Maybe that’s the future for us too!

For current students is the number of 1,950 (given by financial aid office) accurate for books and supplies? If not, what would be a better estimate. Trying to construct a budget for next year

Anyone receive an e-mail from admissions asking if they are still interested?

Withdrew my acceptance to this fine institution. Good luck to everyone who's going, and may the spot go to an eager doc-to-be! Mayo's quite the place.

Reactions: 9 users
Anyone receive an e-mail from admissions asking if they are still interested?
FWIW, I've received emails asking me if I have any questions or concerns while encouraging me to commit to Mayo.

For those of you who have received your FA packages: do you get need based scholarship on top of your merit or is it either or?

Let’s not start this whole speculation thing again.. we know how well that turned out with the highly ranked emails haha.. I’m pretty sure Mayo just wants to keep everyone interested for as long as they can, which is smart on their part.

To anyone that has been accepted, what is the additional background check like? Just curious. Thank you!

To anyone that has been accepted, what is the additional background check like? Just curious. Thank you!

IIRC, it is actually the exact same background check AMCAS did, just done "in-house" for Mayo's records or whatever. No big deal...you'll have to fill out an online form at some point.

IIRC, it is actually the exact same background check AMCAS did, just done "in-house" for Mayo's records or whatever. No big deal...you'll have to fill out an online form at some point.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Waitlist movement, anyone? Thinking it’s gonna be slow or no movement

Got the call today, couldn't be happier! Was initally interviewed for 2+2 but I was offered a spot at the MN 4 year program.

Reactions: 2 users
Got the call today, couldn't be happier! Was initally interviewed for 2+2 but I was offered a spot at the MN 4 year program.
Congrats dude! Send good vibes my way! Could you tell us who your phone call was from?

Congrats dude! Send good vibes my way! Could you tell us who your phone call was from?

Thank you! Freakin' wild ride.

Dr. Colon-Otero called.

Good luck, keep your head up! I hope to see you in the MS1 class :)