2017-2018 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine - Arizona Campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Haha no I didn't apply to AZ but subscribed so I could connect with my peers that I will be doing selectives with. I can assure you I am not amazing haha.

False. You are amazing. You’re one of my favorite posters and I did a little cheer when I saw you got into MN. Congrats!

And a huge thank you to all the current students taking time to come share/clear up information - it is so helpful! Thank you @ChrisMack390 @Nak2k @Hello...it's me... @Nucleus Accumbens @COMED2468 and whoever I missed!

Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone not received their decision email yet? Interviewed for both campuses in FL and worried they may have forgotten to consider me for both campuses? Only received decision for MN/FL program..

Have you checked your portal? If it’s not in your AZ portal, you could always call and ask at this point - it’s been long enough, I would think.

Have you checked your portal? If it’s not in your AZ portal, you could always call and ask at this point - it’s been long enough, I would think.

Yup, checked my portal and no communication since scheduling my interview. I received complete emails for the FL program via my MN portal since they told me to schedule my interviews on one portal rather than both. I will call them and ask, thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
False. You are amazing. You’re one of my favorite posters and I did a little cheer when I saw you got into MN. Congrats!

And a huge thank you to all the current students taking time to come share/clear up information - it is so helpful! Thank you @ChrisMack390 @Nak2k @Hello...it's me... @Nucleus Accumbens @COMED2468 and whoever I missed!

Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Thank you for your kind words. It means a lot to me that there is so much support on both Mayo threads. Mayo definitely draws the passionate and kind-hearted.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone not received their decision email yet? Interviewed for both campuses in FL and worried they may have forgotten to consider me for both campuses? Only received decision for MN/FL program..

I also interviewed for 2+2 and had only heard back from MN/FL, then was surprised to see a waitlist decision from AZ/FL in my inbox just now. Might be sending them out en masse today..

Finally got around to paying the deposit! So excited to meet y'all at second look!

Does anyone know what a typical daily schedule looks like for Mayo in AZ? I am just trying to get an idea of how morning through evening is set up.

Thanks

Does anyone know what a typical daily schedule looks like for Mayo in AZ? I am just trying to get an idea of how morning through evening is set up.

Thanks

I hope this message from my classmate, posted below, will help answer your question. If you have any other questions - just let me know or feel free to PM me.

Class/lecture is 8 or 9 to 12 more or less every day.

Afternoons are highly variable. We might practice our doctoring skills (patient interviews, physical exam, etc), or we might have "Disruptions in Development" which is a kind of psych- related class (not a psychology course but an exploration of psych issues that affect patients), or we might have nothing at all.

Generally, afternoon activities are front-loaded such that we have free afternoons when it's time to study for finals. They have also been reasonably cognizant of our class work load, for example by not scheduling much in the afternoon during our tough anatomy block.

We are about to start our micro/pharm block. Looking ahead at my calendar I see most weeks have just 1 required afternoon with 3-4 of them off to do our own thing. It was a bit busier at the beginning of the year (first block was pretty frequent afternoons) but has leveled off a lot since.

Does anyone know when financial award packages should be expected?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, congrats to those of you that have been accepted. Some of you may recognize my name as the person who compiled all the acceptance/likely letter data for last years cycle. I'm finishing up my first year in medical school (another 2 months). While I'm not at Mayo, I just wanted to congratulate those accepted to Mayo this year, and to tell those on the wait list good luck. As many of you know, Mayo is truly a unique and special place to get your medical school education. With that said, as someone who was wait listed and ultimately not accepted, there are a lot of other great medical schools out there that are full of classmates that will become a second family.

Reactions: 2 users
Where do most students live, North Scottsdale is a bit pricey based on what i'm seeing. Plus I have a dog so I would like to have a yard. Also i'm really looking forward to having a desert garden. What are the best areas in terms of proximity, price, safety and ...all the good things one might like. Never been to Arizona btw, interviewed in Fl. Any ideas and suggestions are welcome.

Where do most students live, North Scottsdale is a bit pricey based on what i'm seeing. Plus I have a dog so I would like to have a yard. Also i'm really looking forward to having a desert garden. What are the best areas in terms of proximity, price, safety and ...all the good things one might like. Never been to Arizona btw, interviewed in Fl. Any ideas and suggestions are welcome.

We kind of live all over the place. Most of the students live within 5-15 minutes by car. Usually that implies that they live somewhat peripherally to Shea Blvd somewhere between the hospital and clinic. There are a handful that live closer to the hospital, and a few that live in Fountain Hills. I fall in the other category--had to find a place in the middle so that my significant other's drive wasn't too unbearable. We've got a good blend of everything: apartment, condo, and home -- living alone, with significant other, and with roommates. You can find a yard for your dog (btw, your doggo will fit right in, we have lots of dogs in the class -- and cats too if that you're thing!).

Are you planning on attending second look? We are looking forward to spending time with the accepted applicants, and I'm sure you could get more specific about your questions, which hopefully means we could link you up with someone in a similar situation as you.

We kind of live all over the place. Most of the students live within 5-15 minutes by car. Usually that implies that they live somewhat peripherally to Shea Blvd somewhere between the hospital and clinic. There are a handful that live closer to the hospital, and a few that live in Fountain Hills. I fall in the other category--had to find a place in the middle so that my significant other's drive wasn't too unbearable. We've got a good blend of everything: apartment, condo, and home -- living alone, with significant other, and with roommates. You can find a yard for your dog (btw, your doggo will fit right in, we have lots of dogs in the class -- and cats too if that you're thing!).

Are you planning on attending second look? We are looking forward to spending time with the accepted applicants, and I'm sure you could get more specific about your questions, which hopefully means we could link you up with someone in a similar situation as you.
yes I will be at second look and I look forward to meeting everyone

@tetra25 North Scottsdale/Fountain Hills is pretty expensive.

If you have a car and don't mind a 20-30 minute scenic drive you could live in Gilbert AZ or Mesa. You would be able to rent a house with a yard and have your garden for about the same cost of a 1 bedroom apartment in the area around the clinic

And Gilbert has some great dog parks (Cosmo Dog Park and Dog park at crossroads)

I'd just balance how much you want the garden/yard versus proximity to the school

Withdrew my acceptance here a few days ago. I started feeling like I knew in my gut I wouldn’t choose here, and wanted someone else to get in and have the chance to go to second look. I hope one of you gets my spot!

Reactions: 9 users
Withdrew my acceptance here a few days ago. I started feeling like I knew in my gut I wouldn’t choose here, and wanted someone else to get in and have the chance to go to second look. I hope one of you gets my spot!

You are literally a saint.

I wish there were more people like you that were accepted to MN

Last edited:
I still think MN has more WL movement than AZ though!
ARZ = ~ 15 (Based only on the 1 datapoint we have which is last years movement)
MN = ~ 40
ARZ over-accepts which is the biggest contributor to the different WL movement. Things could also change this year, but I wouldn't bank on it.

ARZ = ~ 15 (Based only on the 1 datapoint we have which is last years movement)
MN = ~ 40
ARZ over-accepts which is the biggest contributor to the different WL movement. Things could also change this year, but I wouldn't bank on it.
the fb group only has 53 ppl

the fb group only has 53 ppl
I've asked via phone call if they over accepted this year again and susan say they did so I'd probably just chalk it up to people without facebooks or people not being found on facebook.

Can people with merit/need-based scholarships comment on how much they’re receiving? (% of tuition?)

The letter seemed to indicate both... Mayo has said they’re now doing ‘all need based aid’ - but it seems a little subjective and even flexible. It seems like they want to make sure students’ needs are met, but it’s a fine line between need and merit based/recruiting aid beyond that.

I got about 63% merit aid. More than I expected based on their recent changes.

Can people with merit/need-based scholarships comment on how much they’re receiving? (% of tuition?)

I got 90% tuition and the email specifically said merit.
Quite a pleasant surprise as they said they only do need-based.
Seems like Mayo AZ is quite generous

Hopefully my financial package arrives soon, last piece that needs to fall in place.

Really enjoyed getting a scholarship email from Mayo immediately followed by a pre-II rejection email from Temple yesterday.. :laugh:
thanks anyway, temple.. think I’m gonna be okay.. haha

Wait, seriously? That doesnt sound like Mayo at all.

Aid packages are based on parent income and assets and I know people in my class who didn't get any need based aid so they are paying the full COA. There are more than a couple people I know in that situation

Aid packages are based on parent income and assets and I know people in my class who didn't get any need based aid so they are paying the full COA. There are more than a couple people I know in that situation

True, being a poor kid, parents being wealthy enough for no aid didn't even cross my mind as a possibility. Haha

True, being a poor kid, parents being wealthy enough for no aid didn't even cross my mind as a possibility. Haha

Sad thing is, being “wealthy enough” to receive no aid in no way allows one to adequately pay for medical school oneself. Based on anecdotes, the maximum income is way too low for need-based aid at most schools.

I am certainly aware of (and grateful for) the fact that my parents income has afforded me opportunities that others don't always get. But at 31 years old and with a family and kid of my own not getting anything stings.

I am certainly aware of (and grateful for) the fact that my parents income has afforded me opportunities that others don't always get. But at 31 years old and with a family and kid of my own not getting anything stings.

Yeah, that's a raw deal. Maybe reach out to them like the last paragraph says?

Yeah that’s terrible. Do you have FA offers anywhere else? Maybe they’d match or at least give you something if you reach out with a “I’d really like to attend Mayo, but moneeeeyyyyy” (paraphrasing, lol) and see how it goes? Either way, that sucks.

Yeah that’s terrible. Do you have FA offers anywhere else? Maybe they’d match or at least give you something if you reach out with a “I’d really like to attend Mayo, but moneeeeyyyyy” (paraphrasing, lol) and see how it goes? Either way, that sucks.
I have not yet received the official FA offers from the other schools I have been accepted to. Even if I pay full tuition at my other accepts, Mayo lands about 20k/yr more.