2017-2018 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to everyone who got those IIs. Go prepare and kill em!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
II earlier today as well!
Complete 7/23, LM ~76

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Were any IIs for the 2+2 in Florida? I just realized they do those interviews in Jacksonville - really hoping I get an interview. Congrats to everyone! I can't wait to hear how they go!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone gotten an interview invite yet? I submitted my secondary about 3 weeks ago and am just curious.

Has anyone gotten an interview invite yet? I submitted my secondary about 3 weeks ago and am just curious.
Guy above just said he got one.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Were any IIs for the 2+2 in Florida? I just realized they do those interviews in Jacksonville - really hoping I get an interview. Congrats to everyone! I can't wait to hear how they go!

I didn't apply for the 2+2, so my II today was just for MN campus.

I did 2+2 as first choice for both AZ and MN but I didn't realize those interviews are in FL. I don't really mind. I'd go to any Mayo campus.

I chose those, too. Interview location would be a new benefit since I'm just a few hours from Jacksonville.

Your status (in secondary website) changed from "complete" to "in review"?

Where do you find the app status? LOL I'm dumb. Is it an update on this part?

qtcFPEr.png

Where do you find the app status? LOL I'm dumb. Is it an update on this part?

qtcFPEr.png
I don't think you'll get a status update until you get an II or a rejection email. The portal will have an interview tab show up when you get an II though

II yesterday, MN campus only, completed late-July, LizzyM ~78

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For the people who got II, can you pick a date on the interview tab yet? Calendar hasn't shown up yet, so I'm wondering if I should call them

For the people who got II, can you pick a date on the interview tab yet? Calendar hasn't shown up yet, so I'm wondering if I should call them
You need to add your photo and then the dates will show for you to choose from.

Any word on if there is a tangible negative impact on submitting > 2 weeks from receipt date (besides the obvious that this is a rolling admissions process). I am wondering because Mayo is one of the only schools mentioning a 2 week turnaround in their only email. The specific question I have is whether they will make an effort to hurt an application because of secondary turnaround time!

Any word on if there is a tangible negative impact on submitting > 2 weeks from receipt date (besides the obvious that this is a rolling admissions process). I am wondering because Mayo is one of the only schools mentioning a 2 week turnaround in their only email. The specific question I have is whether they will make an effort to hurt an application because of secondary turnaround time!

I turned mine in around 3 weeks. Now, I haven't received an II, but I also haven't been rejected. Someone else called and was told it was just in your best interest to get it in faster.

With Mayo, it is always in your best interest to be as professional as possible (i.e sticking to deadlines). They notice all the small details. I would highly advise that you turn around your secondary within the 2 week mark. I'm not saying it will stop a great applicant from getting an interview (everyone breathe haha.) But they definitely know who sticks to the time frame and who doesn't, and it is just one piece of a very large puzzle.

With Mayo, it is always in your best interest to be as professional as possible (i.e sticking to deadlines). They notice all the small details. I would highly advise that you turn around your secondary within the 2 week mark. I'm not saying it will stop a great applicant from getting an interview (everyone breathe haha.) But they definitely know who sticks to the time frame and who doesn't, and it is just one piece of a very large puzzle.

While they might consider this, the wording in the email was very much along the lines of trying to be complete sooner rather than meeting a specific deadline. It is much better to take the extra week to nail the essays than submit something less than stellar sooner as a poorly written essay will reflect worse upon an applicant.

Does anyone know what the GPA/MCAT cutoff is for the secondary?

Hi, I'm not sure I'm the best person to answer this but maybe me replying will allow someone more knowledgeable to see your comment!

What I can say is that someone stated it's an MCAT only cutoff of the 75th percentile and that two people kindly shared they did not receive a secondary and one had a combined MCAT of a 507 and another had a 505..

It's all hearsay but I hope this helps!

The only negative impact is - the later you turn in your secondary the later your application will be sent for review by Adcomm thus the fewer interview dates available if offered and II. Example - if you turn in your secondary late September, it may take a couple of weeks before your application can be reviewed by the Adcomm, thus leaving less interview dates available and more applicants your are competing with late in the interview season.

The only negative impact is - the later you turn in your secondary the later your application will be sent for review by Adcomm thus the fewer interview dates available if offered and II. Example - if you turn in your secondary late September, it may take a couple of weeks before your application can be reviewed by the Adcomm, thus leaving less interview dates available and more applicants your are competing with late in the interview season.

Absolutely true, but don't give up hope if you submit late. I know a current 1st year who interviewed on the very last interview date and got in.

Can anyone comment on whether or not the AZ and MN campuses corroborate to ensure there's no overlap between their acceptances or II's? Like do they look at your application then decide which campus you would work better with? Or is completely blind and you could (supposedly) get an acceptance to both programs?

Can anyone comment on whether or not the AZ and MN campuses corroborate to ensure there's no overlap between their acceptances or II's? Like do they look at your application then decide which campus you would work better with? Or is completely blind and you could (supposedly) get an acceptance to both programs?

I've been wondering about this. I heard they have separate committees and sent both secondaries out to people. I would like to know what they do about interviews and acceptances.

I've been wondering about this. I heard they have separate committees and sent both secondaries out to people. I would like to know what they do about interviews and acceptances.
@F_Receptor

I spoke with a person in the admissions office at MN who told me the two schools are completely separate in accepting/rejecting students. To illustrate this, the person fully detailed the 4 possible permutations (which goes for either pre or post interview) if you were to apply to both AZ and MN.

Reactions: 3 users
Current student in AZ right now. The admissions process is completely separate. There are several students who interviewed at both campuses, and there is at least one student here who received acceptance at both campuses.

Current student in AZ right now. The admissions process is completely separate. There are several students who interviewed at both campuses, and there is at least one student here who received acceptance at both campuses.

@F_Receptor

I spoke with a person in the admissions office at MN who told me the two schools are completely separate in accepting/rejecting students. To illustrate this, the person fully detailed the 4 possible permutations (which goes for either pre or post interview) if you were to apply to both AZ and MN.

Thank you both!

So I'm ready to submit my secondary about a month after receiving it, but I just noticed the two-week suggestion. Should I go for it or save my cash for another school?

So I'm ready to submit my secondary about a month after receiving it, but I just noticed the two-week suggestion. Should I go for it or save my cash for another school?

Damn. Depends on stats I would think.

I took a month to submit my secondary last year. I had a LizzyM of about 70.5. Current first year. Don't freak out just turn it in.

Reactions: 4 users

Your app will still be considered. It's not an auto-rejection if you submit later than is suggested

II! Weirdly after the work day in Minnesota but I'll take it :p

Reactions: 3 users
I was complete 8/3 and I am anxiously waiting haha.

Rejected post-secondary, complete 8/6. Good luck to everyone else!

Rejected post-secondary, complete 8/6. Good luck to everyone else!

I'm really sorry to hear that. I didn't know they rejected post-secondary so early in the season. I'm sure my rejection is imminent.. Do you mind sharing when you got your secondary? As in, did you turn it back within their two week time-frame?

I'm really sorry to hear that. I didn't know they rejected post-secondary so early in the season. I'm sure my rejection is imminent.. Do you mind sharing when you got your secondary? As in, did you turn it back within their two week time-frame?

Just got an email that my application was put on hold for now. Plus I don't think the two weeks frame means much. Just that you have a chance of being reviewed early.

Did other people get rejections/put on hold?[/QUOTE]

Just got an email that my application was put on hold for now. Plus I don't think the two weeks frame means much. Just that you have a chance of being reviewed early.

Did other people get rejections/put on hold?
Yeah also got a hold email.

I received the secondary on 7/31, so I was within the two weeks.

I also got the placed on hold email. Is that essentially equivalent to rejection?

From what I understand (browsing through multiple school threads on SDN from several years), hold pretty much mean they like you, and may consider giving you an interview but they cannot commit this early until they see more of the application pool that they get. Especially because they have a very small class and they dont want to over interview or take up all their interview slots.

It is way better than those schools that just ghost you for months with no clue if they want to give you an II or rejection. So there's still hope

Reactions: 1 users