2017-2018 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone confused with what we need to purchase for medical equipment? I see you can purchase a package through the bookstore, but then there was also something mentioned in castlebranch about needed to purchase supplies for clinical anatomy?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I'm completely freaking out because I have my physical this week and I know I need the Hep B titer done. So, what happens if I need the booster and then have to wait to be tested again? If I don't make the deadline of July 30th, what's going to happen? Ahhhh.

Also, I'm completely freaking out because I have my physical this week and I know I need the Hep B titer done. So, what happens if I need the booster and then have to wait to be tested again? If I don't make the deadline of July 30th, what's going to happen? Ahhhh.
You just have to communicate with them and let them know you're making progress towards a positive (immune) titer.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone confused with what we need to purchase for medical equipment? I see you can purchase a package through the bookstore, but then there was also something mentioned in castlebranch about needed to purchase supplies for clinical anatomy?
I think we just need to buy the bookstore's package with a stethoscope, tuning fork, reflex hammer & eye chart and then some gloves, goggles and scalpel blades. The extra Netters' atlas for anatomy you should probably be able to get later with your lab group. I also hear that MCW provides us with a penlight at orientation so no need to buy one.

I think we just need to buy the bookstore's package with a stethoscope, tuning fork, reflex hammer & eye chart and then some gloves, goggles and scalpel blades. The extra Netters' atlas for anatomy you should probably be able to get later with your lab group. I also hear that MCW provides us with a penlight at orientation so no need to buy one.
Thanks! Where do you purchase the gloves, goggles, and scalpel blades? Is that also through the bookstore?

Thanks! Where do you purchase the gloves, goggles, and scalpel blades? Is that also through the bookstore?
You'll probably only get a penlight. For anatomy, all you'll need to buy is scalpel blades but you can wait to work that out with your lab group.

Gloves you can buy at Walmart or basically any convenience store. Goggles I would think would be the same, just in the hardware section if you don't have ones left over from undergrad. The bookstore also sells both items. See above for scapel blades. Wait to buy those with your lab group.

Hello, everyone! I'm stoked to meet you all real soon! Never posted on here before, but I'm wondering if any of y'all know the grading system? On MCW Connect, it looks like some classes are "Standard Letter", while others are P/F. I can't remember much from interview day, so if any current students can touch on this let me know! My apologies if this was discussed previously, but I don't have time to go through 50 pages!

Question about laptops: what were the packages/prices offered by MCW? I don't have the sheet anymore from second look.
Hopefully the flyer attaches properly with the packages they offered. But when I got the email to sign up for the laptop program, the deadline was May 21st.

Attachments

• 49CD0EE1-A127-4BD2-B5B8-970F26066B51.jpeg
    49CD0EE1-A127-4BD2-B5B8-970F26066B51.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 104
So from what I've read from an earlier post, a flu shot is not necessary to upload despite the 7/30/2018 due date?

Does anyone know if that is also the case with CPR Certification? I'd rather wait for an opportunity to see if any organizations offer a free CPR Certification course than having to go out of my way and pay for a course.

So from what I've read from an earlier post, a flu shot is not necessary to upload despite the 7/30/2018 due date?

Does anyone know if that is also the case with CPR Certification? I'd rather wait for an opportunity to see if any organizations offer a free CPR Certification course than having to go out of my way and pay for a course.
I don’t have any knowledge about the flu shot but CPR certification must be completed and in Castlebranch by August 6th. So that doesn’t give you many more days after July 30th.

I don’t have any knowledge about the flu shot but CPR certification must be completed and in Castlebranch by August 6th. So that doesn’t give you many more days after July 30th.

Thanks so much. Looks like I need to get on it and find something.

edit: nvm, it was a weird bug that restarting my browser fixed.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Just go on amazon and buy the cheapest tuning fork and reflex hammer you can find that has decent reviews. Dont bother with an eye chart, we did not use it once during M1. Gloves can be bought anywhere, goggle just get basic safety glasses, no need for splash proof goggles like in chemistry lab. I would wait on the scalpel blades as you will be sharing with your lab group and everyone can throw in a few bucks and buy a bulk supply in the beginning. You will not need to buy Netters' atlas at all. There is at least one for every lab group in the anatomy lab and you will be provided access to the online netters' anatomy website that comes with a digital copy. MCW does provide a penlight at orientation.

Does anyone know if MCW provides a free/discounted city bus pass? Or where I should get a bus pass?

I just got off the waitlist and got the email from Alexis about laptop program. Are these laptop requirements just for taking exams? I have a 2016 MacBook right now but the screen is 12 inches. I’m wondering how strict the requirements are and if I need to purchase a new one because my screen isn’t 13.3 inches

I just got off the waitlist and got the email from Alexis about laptop program. Are these laptop requirements just for taking exams? I have a 2016 MacBook right now but the screen is 12 inches. I’m wondering how strict the requirements are and if I need to purchase a new one because my screen isn’t 13.3 inches

I would contact the technology help desk. They should be able to tell you.

Is everyone in agreement that we should NOT buy the textbooks?

Can any current student let me know if the lectures from the previous year are already posted for us to review before class?

Can any current student let me know if the lectures from the previous year are already posted for us to review before class?

No they are not. Just glance over the slides and you’ll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Someone mentioned on here that they had class M-W. I noticed that the mandatory clinical class is available on T/W/F. Can a current student speak to how we get assigned to a certain day? Or do we get to choose which day we prefer? Thanks!

Hey guys, I'm a little confused about financial aid. Just got an e-mail about the tuition statements for fall 2018, but I don't have the privileges to accept/deny my loans so I don't have the loan money to pay the tuition statement yet. Will we be able to do this during orientation week?

Mine is also less than 13.3. Can you let me know what they say?

Hey guys, I'm a little confused about financial aid. Just got an e-mail about the tuition statements for fall 2018, but I don't have the privileges to accept/deny my loans so I don't have the loan money to pay the tuition statement yet. Will we be able to do this during orientation week?

I emailed the financial aid office about this. They said that we will be meeting with someone during orientation and accepting or denying then.

I think they mentioned that we need to have a one on one appointment with a fin aid rep when we arrive on campus to accept/decline our loan offers. The purpose of this is probably to make sure we all understand the terms and responsibilities that come with the loans we'll be taking out. So for now I think we just wait.

When can we expect this names and faces books to come out? Hard to believe we're less than a month away from the start of school :wow:

Reactions: 2 users
I just went and tried on white coats at the bookstore. The small and extra small fit me, but the extra small is more fitted/less baggy looking than the small. Just wondering if any current students can weigh in on how often you wear layers under your white coat or how often you have it buttoned up all the way. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!

Someone mentioned on here that they had class M-W. I noticed that the mandatory clinical class is available on T/W/F. Can a current student speak to how we get assigned to a certain day? Or do we get to choose which day we prefer? Thanks!

What clinical class are your referring to? There are two clinical skills classes (foundations of clinical medicine and bench to bedside) that are one day a week and everyone is in attendance at the same time. During your second semester of M1 you will take clinical apprenticeship were you are placed with an attending in a specialty (you have some say in this, but it is also a lottery system). For clinical apprenticeship you work with your attending to find a time that works for both of you and this can be anytime during the week. There is blocked off time during the week to accommodate for this loss of study time.

Anyone got suggestions on gyms in the area? I've been google gyms and can't seem to figure out which one makes the most sense to sign up with?

Anyone got suggestions on gyms in the area? I've been google gyms and can't seem to figure out which one makes the most sense to sign up with?
I know there's a gym right next to MCW. The Wisconsin Athletic Club. Membership is on a month-by-month basis, but not sure how much it is per month.

In the names & faces book a bunch of the M2s mention "big sib files". Sorry if this is a dumb question but what are those? Can any current M2s shed some light? @Healer@1994 @Ls1_Camaro

The WAC across the street from MCW is around $50 a month, or so I was just told today by a former MCW Student who just graduated this past May. She suggested I sign up to Xperience Fitness because it’s around $20 per month.

Looking forward to meeting the M1s in August, welcome and congratulations!!!

Reactions: 2 users
So my aunt is a nurse and as a graduation present she got me a Littmann Classic III stethoscope. Would there be any reason for me to buy another stethoscope through the bookstore? I'm not dead-set on cardiology or even leaning towards it, really.

So my aunt is a nurse and as a graduation present she got me a Littmann Classic III stethoscope. Would there be any reason for me to buy another stethoscope through the bookstore? I'm not dead-set on cardiology or even leaning towards it, really.
Incoming M1 myself but this is a no. Just talked about stethoscopes with a recent graduate of MCW yesterday and she told me to not even get a Littmann. To buy a nice stethoscope when I graduate depending on my residency and to just get a stethoscope off Amazon with good reviews for around $40. So no. Your graduation gift is more than enough for Med school. Do not waste more money buying another that you might lose anyways.

I submitted all of my forms on castlebranch by the 30th but some are still pending review. Anyone else have this?