2017-2018 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations. How did you hear. Email or portal?

Heard about a few hours a go and through an email. You have to call in to confirm your interview and they give you two dates to choose from, FYI!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
For everyone's casper test, does any info about the status of the test show up on the secondary application portal? The space next to where it talks about the casper is blank. I took it 7/9 and other schools have received it....

Heard about a few hours a go and through an email. You have to call in to confirm your interview and they give you two dates to choose from, FYI!
For what it's worth you're absolutely crushing this cycle. Every school thread I'm following has given you an II ;). Congratulations boss!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My letters are still showing as "under review" and my overall application status is still "In Progress." It has been this way since Jul 21. Is this normal?

Reactions: 1 user
Is there a way we can see our application status? I don't think I ever received a "completed" email from MCW.

Just submitted my secondary. Added MCW to my list this weekend on the recommendation of a nocturnist I work with.

Is there a way we can see our application status? I don't think I ever received a "completed" email from MCW.
You can log into the website and check your status there. They will not be sending out complete emails during the cycle.

My letters are still showing as "under review" and my overall application status is still "In Progress." It has been this way since Jul 21. Is this normal?
I submitted 7/31. My letters were marked "processed" today. I was going to call admission today if nothing had changed. Did you submit a high number of letters? Is it possible that one of your writers may have forgotten the letterhead/signature/date?

Go to the portal and log in. On the first page/ my account page there is an "application status" heading. You might have to scroll down a little to see it. I did not get a complete email, but my "overall application status" switched to complete. Weirdly enough, the status is under the button that says 'Start my secondary application"

What does CASPer look like when MCW has received and processed it?

I submitted 7/31. My letters were marked "processed" today. I was going to call admission today if nothing had changed. Did you submit a high number of letters? Is it possible that one of your writers may have forgotten the letterhead/signature/date?

I might give them a call. I submitted 5 letters so it might just be taking longer, but I'll call in the morning. No other school has complained to me about the letters yet (except Einstein because they're gung-ho anal about the letter)

Members don't see this ad :)
It appears that all the early II's on here went to OOS applicants, I'm curious as to if they've sent any II's to WI residents yet.

I might give them a call. I submitted 5 letters so it might just be taking longer, but I'll call in the morning. No other school has complained to me about the letters yet (except Einstein because they're gung-ho anal about the letter)
Can you keep me updated if calling them can fix the issue? Thanks

Am I supposed to have a green checkmark next to the supplemental items section on my portal?

Am I supposed to have a green checkmark next to the supplemental items section on my portal?

No. Under the supplemental application FAQs it says there will not be a checkmark.

MCW only sends out IIs after they have received your CASPer results, correct?

I haven't called yet since according to their FAQ:

I already sent my letters of recommendation to AMCAS. Why haven’t you received them?
o We receive an extremely high number of letters of recommendation from AMCAS every day. It is likely that we are still reviewing your letters for proper formatting (on official letterhead and signed by the author). This may take up to a couple of weeks, so we appreciate your patience.

So yea, I'm not sure if I should call and bother them about it yet

Question on the URM text box. I'm from a rural small town. I can state the town, population, location, community industry, how long I lived there. Do I say more? Should I be describing life in a small town, advantages and disadvantages?

I manged to miss my Casper exam yesterday! JUST WHAT I NEEDED!:mad::mad::mad::eek:

If I am just applying to the main, 4 year, Milwaukee campus, how many of the essays in the first post do I need to write? Some people in this thread are making it seem like it's only the first, 3000 char regarding "why are you unique and why MCW". Primary is still processing so I can't find out myself, I want to have secondary done as soon as I get it.

Yes, you only have to answer the first essay prompt. The only other thing you would have to write is an explanation for any of the ways your are URM.
Choices you can select from (all that apply):

I come from an economically disadvantaged background
My primary language is NOT English
I am the first person in my immediate family to attend college (excluding siblings)
I identify as part of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender (LGBT) community
I have overcome a significant hardship
I was born or grew up in a rural community
I attended an underperforming elementary, middle, or high school
I belong to a race or ethnicity considered underrepresented in medicine
~2000 characters for this one.

Can I PM you? I'd really appreciate it!
Hey! Sorry for taking so long to respond - just got settled in Milwaukee. Feel free to PM me if you still have any questions, and I'd be more than happy to answer!

So just to let you and others know, I was showing my app was "in progress" all the way til 8/14 after being complete 7/21. I emailed this past Friday and they responded with:

"Hi [sexiest person on Earth],

Apologies for the confusion. Your application is, in fact, complete. We received all letters of recommendation in late July – your secondary application should now be reflecting appropriately.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance."

So looks like it was just an error on their part that I wasn't listed as complete

So just to let you and others know, I was showing my app was "in progress" all the way til 8/14 after being complete 7/21. I emailed this past Friday and they responded with:

Apologies for the confusion. Your application is, in fact, complete. We received all letters of recommendation in late July – your secondary application should now be reflecting appropriately.

So looks like it was just an error on their part that I wasn't listed as complete

Well done, sexiest person on Earth.

Does your secondary now show Complete instead of In Progress and the letters are no longer Under Review?

Hey everyone, just a quick note. I'm a new M1 and we just started classes this week. Loving it so far. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hey everyone, just a quick note. I'm a new M1 and we just started classes this week. Loving it so far. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hey Quaper! I was wondering when your interview/invite was? Also what campus are you at (although I'm assuming Milwaukee)?

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone knows how many students get admitted at each campus? I know MSAR says 261.. but how is that divided? Is getting in the regional campuses harder than the other?

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone knows how many students get admitted at each campus? I know MSAR says 261.. but how is that divided? Is getting in the regional campuses harder than the other?
I believe that at each regional campus they take about 30 students, which leaves 200 for the Milwaukee campus. I called them up and asked about the regional campuses, and they told me that they only select people for those campuses who have a compelling reason for why they want to go to medical school in that area. So I would say it is harder to get into the regional campuses.

I believe that at each regional campus they take about 30 students, which leaves 200 for the Milwaukee campus. I called them up and asked about the regional campuses, and they told me that they only select people for those campuses who have a compelling reason for why they want to go to medical school in that area. So I would say it is harder to get into the regional campuses.
And I believe they have limited seats. Which makes it very difficult far as getting accepted, especially if your not from Wisconsin!. Very selective.

And I believe they have limited seats. Which makes it very difficult far as getting accepted, especially if your not from Wisconsin!. Very selective.

Thank you both!

Hey Quaper! I was wondering when your interview/invite was? Also what campus are you at (although I'm assuming Milwaukee)?
I got my interview invite sometime late August and they gave me two date choices they were less than a month away. Yes I'm at Milwaukee.

Does anyone know anything about their medical humanities program? Any information would be great!

especially current students

Does anyone know anything about their medical humanities program? Any information would be great!

especially current students
I know that they told us they have a humanities elective at some point that we could choose to take if we wanted to but that's about all I know.

One of my letters was not sent on letterhead so I have to wait for my professor to re-upload it. Other schools accepted that letter. *sigh*

One of my letters was not sent on letterhead so I have to wait for my professor to re-upload it. Other schools accepted that letter. *sigh*
I had the same thing happen to me a couple weeks ago :/

May be a dumb question. If you are only applying to the main campus in Milwaukee then do you only answer the first question? Or are the prompts for everywhere?

May be a dumb question. If you are only applying to the main campus in Milwaukee then do you only answer the first question? Or are the prompts for everywhere?
Fairly sure only the first question and the additional optional question appear if you only select the Milwaukee campus. If you choose the regional campuses as well, the other questions appear on the application in addition to the original non-optional question.