2017-2018 Medical University of South Carolina

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Looking at last year's thread, it seems like most were pulled off the alternate list around the end of April since that's when people holding other acceptances have to narrow their choices down to one.

Yeah that's what I thought too. The earliest I saw someone get off the alt. list on all of the MUSC SOM threads was April 15th. The bulk of people were pulled off in late April and then a few in early May.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So I guess if we haven't gotten an email about anything yet we're pretty much unofficially rejected? God I hate this whole process. I feel like I did well in my interview.

I would email or call and ask to be sure. Never assume. Sometimes people fall off the grid.

How do y’all feel about their new Flex curriculum? I like having different options, but I’m a little worried about the condensed preclinical years.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How do y’all feel about their new Flex curriculum? I like having different options, but I’m a little worried about the condensed preclinical years.

I know everyone who interviewed with me was concerned about that as well. But Dr. Kern assured us that there would be regularly scheduled breaks to avoid burnout. And students in others years said that they would have preferred the flex curriculum.

I’m feeling pretty excited about the flex curriculum. The idea of being able to pursue other interests for a few months before starting clinicals sounds refreshing.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank goodness we're finally in April! We (hopefully) will be hearing something back in the next few weeks. Please if you get off the waitlist post it so others will know when MUSC has started taking people off. Good luck to everyone...the wait is driving me INSANE but it's almost over :shy:

Thank goodness we're finally in April! We (hopefully) will be hearing something back in the next few weeks. Please if you get off the waitlist post it so others will know when MUSC has started taking people off. Good luck to everyone...the wait is driving me INSANE but it's almost over :shy:

Glad I'm not the only one. It feels like FOREVER!

Last edited:
Glad I'm not the only one. I just realized they announced the wait list less than a week ago... it feels like FOREVER!

Do you mean a month? I got my waitlist status on March 13

Do you mean a month? I got my waitlist status on March 13

Lol yes, thank you. Does anyone else have that problem where you text something and you're not consciously aware of it? Your body just does it by itself and sends something that doesn't make sense. Same.

Lol yes, thank you. Does anyone else have that problem where you text something and you're not consciously aware of it? Your body just does it by itself and sends something that doesn't make sense. Same.

Anything that happens before my morning coffee may as well never have been done by a robot

anyone know when scholarships come out?
I think they want to make sure that current students financial aid is solidified before offering scholarships to the incoming class but I'm hoping we hear something before next week is over.

Sent from my SM-G930P using SDN mobile

4/20 Dean Underwood just called with acceptance [OOS]
3/13 waitlisted
2/02 interviewed

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it me or does it seem like no one is withdrawing from this school..

I've heard a few differing things about the waitlist. Can anyone shed any light about how many applicants are on it/how far down they typically get?

I've heard a few differing things about the waitlist. Can anyone shed any light about how many applicants are on it/how far down they typically get?
MSAR says there are normally 25-30, and they normally pull off 20. Thats probably as accurate as you're going to get since the school provides that info.

Accepted this morning off the waitlist. Good luck to those still waiting!

Does anybody have any idea as to the deferral policy? I'm considering deferring my acceptance a year if possible, due to personal reasons (potentially opening up a spot this year to one of y'all).

Does anybody have any idea as to the deferral policy? I'm considering deferring my acceptance a year if possible, due to personal reasons (potentially opening up a spot this year to one of y'all).

I’m not sure but I think you should probably email Wanda? Or who ever emailed you your acceptance.

I had a friend that was accepted and then deferred his acceptance until the next year and was fine. I'm not sure exactly how the process works, but it is something that they allow if it is for good reason.

Accepted off the IS waitlist this morning :D

Nope! What did it say?

“Dear Prospective Student:
This e-mail is sent to all MUSC applicants who have applied for admission and who have requested financial aid information”.

Later it says that this email is not an indication of admission. :meh:

Last edited:
“Dear Prospective Student:
This e-mail is sent to all MUSC applicants who have applied for admission and who have requested financial aid information”.

Later it says that this email is not an indication of admission. :meh:

Thats disappointing.

Just got an update from admissions. "As of now, the class is finalized and is holding steady. There seems to be only a small chance of additional movement. This may change, but realistically, I don't think so."

Just got an update from admissions. "As of now, the class is finalized and is holding steady. There seems to be only a small chance of additional movement. This may change, but realistically, I don't think so."

Who exactly did you contact for this info? I tried to contact Wanda but no reply thus far..

Reactions: 1 users
It was Wanda. She may be getting around to your email or she may have just not responded. Literally the only reason she responds to me is because I've known her for years.

It was Wanda. She may be getting around to your email or she may have just not responded. Literally the only reason she responds to me is because I've known her for years.

She still hasn’t responded to me. I called the office today and they suggest that I re-email her.

At this point @beck860 are you planning on kinda giving up on MUSC and pursuing the other school where you’ve been accepted? I’m in this position and really like MUSC but my other school starts in July :confused:

If it makes you feel any better, I emailed her on 5/14 and she didn't respond until 5/22.

I think it's time to move on. I really loved MUSC too- I worked there and at the VA for years- but I've been applying for 3 years. I honestly don't know what more I could have done because I personally know of current students who I feel I measure up to (and sometimes surpass) on all levels. And that's not meant to be unkind at all. I hope some people in here can empathize with that. But I am SO grateful to have been accepted and now I'm going to show this school what I'm made of ☺️

She still hasn’t responded to me. I called the office today and they suggest that I re-email her.

At this point @beck860 are you planning on kinda giving up on MUSC and pursuing the other school where you’ve been accepted? I’m in this position and really like MUSC but my other school starts in July :confused:

If it makes you feel any better, I emailed her on 5/14 and she didn't respond until 5/22.

I think it's time to move on. I really loved MUSC too- I worked there and at the VA for years- but I've been applying for 3 years. I honestly don't know what more I could have done because I personally know of current students who I feel I measure up to (and sometimes surpass) on all levels. And that's not meant to be unkind at all. I hope some people in here can empathize with that. But I am SO grateful to have been accepted and now I'm going to show this school what I'm made of ☺️

She just replied to me. Bascially saying the same thing..slim to no chance of being taken off. Some things are just not meant to be..and usually for very good reasons. I’m very thankful for my acceptance and feel relieved to have closure with MUSC. Goodluck to you girl! We’re both right where we’re supposed to be!
:highfive:

Did any of you other accepted waitlisters get your acceptance packet yet? Mine has allegedly been in the mail for like 3 weeks.

On that note, does anyone know when titers/transcripts are due? because I am in the dark lmao

Accepted from the waitlist on Thursday! :soexcited:

Reactions: 1 users
I just got the acceptance call too. Already at a Medical School orientation though. What do I do??

I just got the acceptance call too. Already at a Medical School orientation though. What do I do??

I'm pretty sure you have to withdraw other acceptances as soon as you matriculate into a program i.e. start orientation. But it might be different for those of us coming off the waitlist!

I'm pretty sure you have to withdraw other acceptances as soon as you matriculate into a program i.e. start orientation. But it might be different for those of us coming off the waitlist!

I talked to my school and there is not problem with changing schools. Just more of a finding housing issue and breaking a lease issue.

I’d call the AAMC and make sure you are allowed to jump ship since you have already started orientation. I think I remember the MSAR traffic rules for applicants saying once you start orientation, you are out of bounds and cannot matriculate at another school.