2017-2018 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYIT-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OW student here. Feel free to ask questions :)
is commuting from brooklyn doable?
how many days a week do you need to be on campus and how early?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

is commuting from brooklyn doable?
how many days a week do you need to be on campus and how early?

thanks
It is doable, we have lots of commuters (Brooklyn,Queens, Connecticut). Lectures are usually in the morning , labs start at 1. You would need to come almost every day, some weeks you can do 3/4 days a week but it's less common. Hope it helps.

OW student here. Feel free to ask questions :)
I saw on NYITCOM's website that they offer both a Global Health track as well as a dual degree DO/MBA program at OW. I was wondering if anyone could provide some more information about these two programs, because I'm very interested in them. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview soon at NY location. So just to be clear, I shouldn't put the GPS address in the email in which leads to a elementary school and put NYITCOM instead?

Interview soon at NY location. So just to be clear, I shouldn't put the GPS address in the email in which leads to a elementary school and put NYITCOM instead?
just my $0.02, but be careful with what GPS tells you too, Im from eastern LI and mine took me on a route that assumed a road into NYIT was open when it's closed. It was easy to get back on track but rather frustrating.

just my $0.02, but be careful with what GPS tells you too, Im from eastern LI and mine took me on a route that assumed a road into NYIT was open when it's closed. It was easy to get back on track but rather frustrating.

Thanks for the insight!

It is doable, we have lots of commuters (Brooklyn,Queens, Connecticut). Lectures are usually in the morning , labs start at 1. You would need to come almost every day, some weeks you can do 3/4 days a week but it's less common. Hope it helps.

This was one of my questions haha. Whats the schedule for 1st and 2nd year look like in terms of classes and labs? I am thinking of commuting from home in Brooklyn, which is about 40 minutes without traffic and probably close to an hour with traffic so I am wondering if the time commuting is worth the money I'll be paying for rent/living expenses.

How much dedicated study time do you get for board exams? Also how does selection of clinical sites work for 3rd and 4th year?

I’m also wondering about commuting to the Jonesboro campus from about an hour away. In a current student’s opinion, would this be doable time-wise?

I saw on NYITCOM's website that they offer both a Global Health track as well as a dual degree DO/MBA program at OW. I was wondering if anyone could provide some more information about these two programs, because I'm very interested in them. Thanks!
I don't think they start it during your 1st year. They want to make sure that you can handle the course load. But yes, they have lots of different programs. I would email the admissions they would definitely give you the run down about the program. Sorry cannot be more helpful :)

This was one of my questions haha. Whats the schedule for 1st and 2nd year look like in terms of classes and labs? I am thinking of commuting from home in Brooklyn, which is about 40 minutes without traffic and probably close to an hour with traffic so I am wondering if the time commuting is worth the money I'll be paying for rent/living expenses.

How much dedicated study time do you get for board exams? Also how does selection of clinical sites work for 3rd and 4th year?
My commute is 50 minutes, I can't say it's ideal but it works for me. You can definitely try and see if it works for you, you can always move closer in the area. I listen to the lectures when I drive so it helps me to solidify the material. As of the other part of your question, my 2nd year friend told me that you are going to have 2-3 months of dedicated study time (for the boards). They also give you some extra resources for free like Firecracker and other on-line board prep materials. Hope it helps :)

How is the Old Westbury area like? Is it hard to have a school/life balance?
It's a nice and family oriented area. Lots of shops and restaurants. Could be very busy in terms of traffic. And quite expensive unfortunately....

I’m also wondering about commuting to the Jonesboro campus from about an hour away. In a current student’s opinion, would this be doable time-wise?

Is it doable? Yes
Would I recommend it? No

Jonesboro cost of leaving is pretty affordable, and the convenience of being able to run back home if you forget something (it’s happened to a lot of us here already) is great. Personally, I live at the circle apartments and not having to find parking in the morning has been worth it. Currently, I believe the student from my class that lives farthest away has about a 30-40 minute commute from Paragould. If you don’t mind long commutes and have free rent an hour away you can give it a shot, my recommendation though is something in Jonesboro.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email saying I'm still under review. Submitted in late june so it's nice to hear something at least

Reactions: 6 users
Just got an email saying I'm still under review. Submitted in late june so it's nice to hear something at least

Just got the same email, completed in late August here. OOS. Also kinda sad it was an email from the AR campus... bankin' on one in NY despite the fact that I know they're limited to OOS students

same, but do those e-mails even mean anything?

Just received the same email as well. Does this school like update letters/interest letters?

Got the same email as well. Complete September 1st.

Same email... did they send any rejections yet?

I got the same email, from NY/Arkansas campus. Did anyone out there that is still waiting not get this "still under review" email??

Just received the same email as well. Does this school like update letters/interest letters?
I'm not sure about interest letters, but I sent an update letter and they asked me to update my AACOMAS application instead because I think its more convenient for them that way.

I'm not sure about interest letters, but I sent an update letter and they asked me to update my AACOMAS application instead because I think its more convenient for them that way.
I didn’t know we could update our AACOMAS app with things besides grades?? Also, I got the “still being reviewed” email. Complete 10/13.

I didn’t know we could update our AACOMAS app with things besides grades?? Also, I got the “still being reviewed” email. Complete 10/13.

this - I am not as familiar with AACOMAS but it appears that you can only update once with grades correct?

Mien wasn't a grade update, it was about a medical mission I recently went on, and they asked me to update AACOMAS. I believe you can add activities as well by going to supporting information--> experiences--> add experience. Then after adding it I think you would click the button that says update my application and the schools would get the update. I haven't submitted my update yet to AACOMAS that's why I'm not 100% sure, but I think that's the process!

To those who received admission, how long does NYITCOM ny campus give you to fill in the first deposit? And how much?

Does anyone have a general turn around for a decision? I know they don't say anything concrete but was wondering if there was a typical number of weeks.

1 month to fill the $1,500 deposit. At my interview day, they explicitly said they follow the AACOMAS traffic guidelines where if you get an acceptance before Nov 15th you'll have till Dec 15th but I guess that's not the case. I was accepted on Oct 27th and have till Nov 27th to pay.

Great thank you!

ImageUploadedBySDN1509549458.788629.jpg

I received this in an email. You have to RSVP, I don't know if there are anymore spots left, but you can try if anybody is interested.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anyone previously received the "Your application is still under review and consideration" email and later received an II?

I think that email might be sent to everyone who applied, because I haven't even submitted my secondary to NYITCOM and I got that email last night.

Has anyone who has interviewed recently (Old Westbury) been asked the question, "Why NYIT?" I went pretty in depth about it in my secondary and I'm not really sure what else to talk about. I think repeating myself might be a bad idea.

Has anyone who has interviewed recently (Old Westbury) been asked the question, "Why NYIT?" I went pretty in depth about it in my secondary and I'm not really sure what else to talk about. I think repeating myself might be a bad idea.
just repeat it but include stuff you learned on the tour or what not

For those of you who have gotten an II today, did you get the email yesterday saying that your application is still under review?

II earlier today for Old Westbury! Completed 10/19
Anyone who received an II recently have an idea when they're scheduling interviews for now? I haven't had a chance to call yet because of the time difference. Super excited for this interview!

Reactions: 1 users
II for NY yesterday!!! Interview in 2 weeks! Can anyone who interviewed in NY give me info on how to prepare and what questions they asked? This school is my top choice :)

Reactions: 1 users