2017-2018 Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine (NOVA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, there hasn't been any posting on this forum from anyone who interviewed the last few days, so I don't know what to believe. However it's weird they would end interviews this early. So not sure. People do lie on SDN all the time, so there's that too.

Okay so I have seen interview groups as well, led by the DO students as @Grannywang mentioned. One possibility is that these are MBS interview groups. A friend of mine applied to that and told me they are doing MBS interviews March-May. Just a possibility. And no I’m not going to call the school I already attend to ask.

Hey current/former students:

Weird question, but I am trying to decide between schools. I was just looking at the M4 curriculum and I am concerned about all the rural rotations. Here we have to do three months of rural medicine during fourth year - rural medicine/ambulatory (2 months) and rural medicine/selective (1 month). I noticed the timing is fall, winter, or summer - that's a little scary, isn't it? Fall/summer is prime time for audition rotations, is it not?

Have any of you talked to anyone who's graduated in the past few years that's felt significantly hindered by these rotations, as in, they felt like they couldn't go on as many audition rotations as they wanted because of the awful timing of these mandatory rural medicine rotations?

Thanks in advance. :)

Reactions: 1 user

Weird question, but I am trying to decide between schools. I was just looking at the M4 curriculum and I am concerned about all the rural rotations. Here we have to do three months of rural medicine during fourth year - rural medicine/ambulatory (2 months) and rural medicine/selective (1 month). I noticed the timing is fall, winter, or summer - that's a little scary, isn't it? Fall/summer is prime time for audition rotations, is it not?

Have any of you talked to anyone who's graduated in the past few years that's felt significantly hindered by these rotations, as in, they felt like they couldn't go on as many audition rotations as they wanted because of the awful timing of these mandatory rural medicine rotations?

I would also like to know the answer to this.

Try weighing it against the other schools. If the other schools you were accepted to weren't the greatest, then the answer is obvious.
But if it's a school like Nova vs PCOM,DMU,VCOM,KCU or any of those other top schools, now your decision is more tough.

Hope that helps

Reactions: 1 users

I graduated from Nova a few years ago and dealt with the rural issue. I personally didn’t think it was a deal breaker. The rural elective can be used on any type of rotation which for me included a large academic institute that had a large under served population so that one is easy to work around. It is a pain when you are schedule during your “golden months” but audition rotations aren’t required to get an interview somewhere (assuming you have good board scores). It can be irritating if you plan on doing ortho (pre merger most DO places wanted you to do an audition rotation in ortho do consider you but I’m not sure how that is now). My rural person gave me time off for interviews and such.
If you end up going to Nova and get rurals during your golden months just choose your audition rotations wisely and if you crush your boards it shouldn’t make a difference.

Look at all the other stuff Nova has to offer (guaranteed rotation sites, multiple international rotations, etc) when making your final decision. And definitely go somewhere you will atleast be happy for 4 years because you are going to be stuck there.

Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How do you check your application status after interviewing?

I graduated from Nova a few years ago and dealt with the rural issue. I personally didn’t think it was a deal breaker. The rural elective can be used on any type of rotation which for me included a large academic institute that had a large under served population so that one is easy to work around. It is a pain when you are schedule during your “golden months” but audition rotations aren’t required to get an interview somewhere (assuming you have good board scores). It can be irritating if you plan on doing ortho (pre merger most DO places wanted you to do an audition rotation in ortho do consider you but I’m not sure how that is now). My rural person gave me time off for interviews and such.
If you end up going to Nova and get rurals during your golden months just choose your audition rotations wisely and if you crush your boards it shouldn’t make a difference.

Look at all the other stuff Nova has to offer (guaranteed rotation sites, multiple international rotations, etc) when making your final decision. And definitely go somewhere you will atleast be happy for 4 years because you are going to be stuck there.

Best of luck to you!
Thank you so much! Especially that part about being able to rotate in a larger facility during the rural rotation - I was really concerned I'd have to be in some tiny 30 bed community hospital out in the boondocks somewhere missing out on good learning opportunities. :laugh:

Anyone on the WL hear anything? There was a big deposit last week so I’m wondering if there has been any movement.

Reactions: 3 users
I interviewed on 2/27 and just got an acceptance email! Just wanted to let you know because I have been refreshing my inbox once every minute for the past week and would have wanted an update :)

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed 3/1, got an acceptance today at 3:17, if anyone wants to PM me please feel free! Also, let's get it, class of 2022!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
I called and was told that those that will be accepted off the waitlist should hear back in about 2 weeks!

Reactions: 5 users
Quick question for accepted students. Can we use FAFSA to pay the 2,000$ deposit and registration fee? or naw?

Are they still going to accept students from the 3/13 interview? I haven't heard anything since I interviewed.

Has anyone seen if estimated Cost of Attendance has been updated for year one, 2018-2019?

I called and was told that those that will be accepted off the waitlist should hear back in about 2 weeks!
that they will begin to pull off the waitlist then or that all their waitlist pulls will begin and be completed then

that they will begin to pull off the waitlist then or that all their waitlist pulls will begin and be completed then
They’ll pull from the waitlist all the way til the start of the semester. For those that are waiting, hang tight. You’ll get the call soon.

Got a mail yesterday, alternate status.
Interview date : 2/26

anyone on WL hear back recently?

I feel like everyone that doesn't get accepted after the interview gets waitlisted. That means the waitlist is going to be pretty substantial and they only accepted 70 off the waitlist last year. I got waitlisted today btw.

I feel like everyone that doesn't get accepted after the interview gets waitlisted. That means the waitlist is going to be pretty substantial and they only accepted 70 off the waitlist last year. I got waitlisted today btw.
I feel like you're correct. I don't think Nova has any incentive whatsoever to reduce their options post-interview unless someone was absolutely awful.

I know people who got Rejected.

Everyone goes on the waitlist unless you bombed the interview, admission coordinator said it herself

I just got an acceptance email even though I never even got an interview invite. Anybody else have this issue? It was probably an accident but part of me wants to play along

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Lol that was my dream. Damn

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone been accepted off the waitlist yet?

So so so soooo anxious about the WL! Ugh I feel like I have been waiting forever lol. I guess I'll just keep on crossing my fingers! Good luck everyone!

It's been two weeks, hoping we get some waitlist movement today!

Does anyone know if the wait-list is a different list than the alternative list? I received an "alternate" letter the other day and was wondering if we were in the same boat.

I think they’re the same!!

Anyone on the waitlist hear anything? Looks like they're taking a while to start accepting people off the waitlist this year, which is odd since people were suggesting that they finished interviewing earlier than usual this year.

Anyone on the waitlist hear anything? Looks like they're taking a while to start accepting people off the waitlist this year, which is odd since people were suggesting that they finished interviewing earlier than usual this year.
I haven’t, but I’ve heard of people getting off the waitlist already this cycle

I haven’t, but I’ve heard of people getting off the waitlist already this cycle

Yeah I know someone that got off the waitlist, but that was in February or late January. I haven't heard of anyone after that though.