2017-2018 Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine (PNWU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone interviewing on 11/17?? Getting excited and nervous!

Members don't see this ad.

They only have 9 interview days this cycle and they are evenly spaced out. March might be among the last.
How many people total do they usually interview for their class?

Members don't see this ad :)
How many people total do they usually interview for their class?
I interviewed in the first cycle and during the presentation they said they received roughly 5000 applications and were offering 450 interviews. They tend to make roughly 240 offers which then is narrowed down to 146 seats

Last edited:
Got an II today as well. Happy and sad because I feel like I'm interviewing for the waitlist... Someone tell me I'll be okay

Reactions: 1 user
The interview dates are already in April??

My application says "committee"!!!! So excited! I hope this is good news :)

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know how often the committee meets? Is it once a month like a lot of the others I've seen? Hope i didnt miss the cutoff for this month!

Portal changed to committee on October 1st, rejected yesterday. OOS with no ties to the PNW, so it was expected. Good luck everyone else.

Hi guys,
I really loved this school because of their emphasis on primary care and that's why I submitted my primary. I received a secondary from this school like ~2 months ago and never filled it out because of the heavy bias for the 5-state catchment area preference. I'm from the Midwest area (like Illinois area). I just got really discouraged when I saw a ton of people getting rejected who weren't in the area and since the price tag on the secondary is up there, I just completely put it off. Can anyone give me advice?

-Strong clinical experience working with underserved communities
-A lot of volunteer work
-A fair amount of research experience
- ~3.6 ugpa, 3.5 sgpa, 3.9 grad gpa (all science)
- ~502-505 MCAT (w/multiple takes)

Is it worth still filling out the secondary this late in the game?

Hi guys,
I really loved this school because of their emphasis on primary care and that's why I submitted my primary. I received a secondary from this school like ~2 months ago and never filled it out because of the heavy bias for the 5-state catchment area preference. I'm from the Midwest area (like Illinois area). I just got really discouraged when I saw a ton of people getting rejected who weren't in the area and since the price tag on the secondary is up there, I just completely put it off. Can anyone give me advice?

-Strong clinical experience working with underserved communities
-A lot of volunteer work
-A fair amount of research experience
- ~3.6 ugpa, 3.5 sgpa, 3.9 grad gpa (all science)
- ~502-505 MCAT (w/multiple takes)

Is it worth still filling out the secondary this late in the game?

The positive about this school is that they do a holistic review of your secondary application, but that takes time. I spent almost a month on committee before being offered an II. At this point in the process the only dates left to interview are in April. If you are offered an interview you can always message Hope and try to move up your date as many people withdraw their applications. But it’s not guaranteed that that will be your case. I think it’s possible but I think you will be battling uphill. You can submit a secondary up until March but by that point, historically most seats are filled and the waitlist is long. I hope this helps

Members don't see this ad :)
It definitely helps! Thanks for the info. I think I’ll complete it anyway and just cross my fingers. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

II today! Complete 9/28. Interviewing on 1/20!

Anyone have any luck calling/emailing for an earlier interview date? Seems like people are canceling their interviews more frequently now that they've received acceptances elsewhere.

Anyone have any luck calling/emailing for an earlier interview date? Seems like people are canceling their interviews more frequently now that they've received acceptances elsewhere.
They ended up calling me for an earlier interview day. I hadn't even put in a request. I imagine it would be a good move to request an earlier day.

II today for 4/6 (completed late July) - on waitlist for earlier interview

II today! Awaiting email. Completed 11/6

wow that was insanely fast! Im assuming they called you, then, since youre waiting on an email?

They didn’t call, I was just checking my portal last night before bed and noticed it said “Interview, 11/14/17”. I called this morning to let them know I hadn’t received an email yet and the woman I spoke to said I should receive it today or tomorrow. I got the email less than 30 seconds after I hung up the phone haha.

Only interview date they offered me was 4/13. On waitlist for sooner.

wow that was insanely fast! Im assuming they called you, then, since youre waiting on an email?

They didn’t call, I was just checking my portal last night before bed and noticed it said “Interview, 11/14/17”. I called this morning to let them know I hadn’t received an email yet and the woman I spoke to said I should receive it today or tomorrow. I got the email less than 30 seconds after I hung up the phone haha.

Only interview date they offered me was 4/13. On waitlist for sooner.

PNWU would be remiss not to act fast on an SDN user whose name overlaps with their own!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi! Would someone mind sharing the interview format? MMI + traditional? Only MMI? Thanks in advance!

Hi! Would someone mind sharing the interview format? MMI + traditional? Only MMI? Thanks in advance!
For those with interviews, I read the email and realize it's MMI, but does anyone know if the entire thing is open application, just a portion or 100% closed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It'll be open. Some of the interviewers will have your entire application with them to chat about.

Anyone hear back yet from the 11/17 cohort? Technically today is the day... My hands are already sweaty SO NERVOUS :vomit:

Any movement off of the waitlist this year so far? I was told they review waitlisters simultaneously with those who interview each round.

Any movement off of the waitlist this year so far? I was told they review waitlisters simultaneously with those who interview each round.

I called and talked to them and they said it probably wouldn’t even be looked at until January at the earliest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Labs are mandatory and any class that has a quiz at the end (though you could just come in at the time of the quiz...)

Classes aren’t mandatory otherwise, but most people show up to class anyways. There are also faculty directed study sessions for you to do on your own. On those days you can just stay at home unless you have a lab that day.

Yes to all of this! There were many days second year where I was annoyed because I actually had to get out of my pajamas because I had gotten used to studying at home. First year you have to be on campus for something most days, second year there would be relatively frequent days where I could just study at home.

Anyone hear back yet from the 11/17 cohort? Technically today is the day... My hands are already sweaty SO NERVOUS :vomit:
I thought they said they would let us know on the 1st... Anxiously still checking the portal though.

Just canceled my interview for next Friday, 12/8...
Was super excited to visit Washington, but got accepted somewhere I'll be really happy. :)

I hope that my interview spot will be enjoyed by one of you guys!!

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck to everyone interviewing this week! I'm a current student not from one of the 5 states, interviewed on a Friday in November and got my call for acceptance on Monday, just 2 days post interview! I'm pretty sure I've walked by one of the classrooms on a day after interviews this round and saw the group of administrators/teachers in the evening talking about the candidates. I think they move fast with decisions. This is just what I thought I saw... not confirmed though. As you probably already know, the best advice for interviewing at this school is to truly be yourself. Don't try to act like someone you are not. Let your personality shine through in the mmi section.

Just canceled my interview for next Friday, 12/8...
Was super excited to visit Washington, but got accepted somewhere I'll be really happy. :)

I hope that my interview spot will be enjoyed by one of you guys!!
I likely picked this up as I was offered the interview for 12/8 yesterday. Originally scheduled out for 4/6.
Oregon resident

I likely picked this up as I was offered the interview for 12/8 yesterday. Originally scheduled out for 4/6.
Oregon resident

You're welcome ;) I withdrew my 12/8 interview on Monday!

What hotel did everyone stay at? They provided us a list and I'm considering Oxford but I heard that's the "bad" side of town. Any thoughts?

Moved my 3/2 interview to this Friday! Does anyone have any tips/pointers for the interview itself? Thanks a bunch!

II!!!
Complete end of October :)

II for 04/13! Complete early November.

II!!!
Complete end of October :)

Was it for 04/13? I notice you're a MT resident, but your signature makes it look like you're only applying DO. Are you not bothering with UW/WWAMI?

Can any current students comment about research opportunities offered here, if any? I cant seem to find anything on their website and I was just curious!

Was it for 04/13? I notice you're a MT resident, but your signature makes it look like you're only applying DO. Are you not bothering with UW/WWAMI?

Yes for 4/13 (although I’m on the waitlist to be bumped up sooner) and yes, only DO! I really want to practice DO :) I’m not originally from MT, I’ve just had residency there for about 1.5 years, so I’m not sure how that affects WWAMI!

Dang, you guys heard sooner than me! I was complete 10/18, went to committee 11/6 and radio silence since... -.- This is my No. 1 so I am hoping for some instate love!

Dang, you guys heard sooner than me! I was complete 10/18, went to committee 11/6 and radio silence since... -.- This is my No. 1 so I am hoping for some instate love!

If they're going in straight up chronological order you should be hearing within the next week here.

With most of the recent interview invites for dates in March/April, do you guys think they are just interviewing for waitlist spots? It just seems like all of the recent interview dates are so far out!

With most of the recent interview invites for dates in March/April, do you guys think they are just interviewing for waitlist spots? It just seems like all of the recent interview dates are so far out!
They told me that my interview early April was for an acceptance and not for the waitlist fwiw