2017-2018 Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine (PNWU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long after submitting your primary to this school did it take for them to send you a secondary? It has been over a week now and I have not heard anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was scheduled to interview Feb 2nd, but they offered me a spot on the October 13th interview. Very excited to interview here, it is my top choice!

Reactions: 1 users
I was scheduled to interview Feb 2nd, but they offered me a spot on the October 13th interview. Very excited to interview here, it is my top choice!
Awesome, congratulations!! I will be there too! I am so excited :clap:

Did you call them or did they send you an email with an open spot?

How long after submitting your primary to this school did it take for them to send you a secondary? It has been over a week now and I have not heard anything.

Two days for me.

My file has been on committee since September 21st. Anybody know how long till I get a decision? Do they send a rejection email or letter?

I think those of us that interviewed 9/29 can expect to hear back today, if they continue the Thursday notice that it looks like they've done for the past couple years. Thought I heard that they would get back to us in 2 weeks.

Reactions: 1 user
I think those of us that interviewed 9/29 can expect to hear back today, if they continue the Thursday notice that it looks like they've done for the past couple years. Thought I heard that they would get back to us in 2 weeks.

Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear back. I keep refreshing my portal every ten minutes to see if it changed.

Accepted!! Interviewed 9/29. Apparently had poor reception and received voicemail in the afternoon.

Best of luck to my other 9/29 interviewers. I hope to hear good news.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! II 9/29

Accepted! II 9/29
Accepted!! Interviewed 9/29. Apparently had poor reception and received voicemail in the afternoon.

Best of luck to my other 9/29 interviewers. I hope to hear good news.

Did your PNWU Portal say Decision/Date:
Offer/ Oct 12 2017?
I didn't receive a call but my phone was turned off for most of the day, does Offer mean I have been offered a seat, or what does it look like when you have been accepted?

Offer/ Oct 12 2017?
I didn't receive a call but my phone was turned off for most of the day, does Offer mean I have been offered a seat, or what does it look like when you have been accepted?
under checklist it also has written consent agreement, offer of acceptance, deposit form, but when I click on it there is no actual consent agreement there etc.. Just wondering if everyone's has that or if thats an acceptance???

Offer/ Oct 12 2017?
Yes it did change to offer shortly after I was called. I am fairly confident this is good news for you. If you don't have a voicemail, I would call their admissions department to verify. My understanding is that there is nothing much to do until you receive the official offer in the mail, however.

Interviewing tomorrow, Oct. 13th. Is anyone planning on sticking around tomorrow night?

Interviewing tomorrow, Oct. 13th. Is anyone planning on sticking around tomorrow night?
Same here. I was thinking about sticking around! I am staying with a student tonight, but he is leaving for Seattle tomorrow. Was thinking of just getting a hotel room to check out Yakima a little more. Best of luck tomorrow!

Accepted. Also in at AT Still and Western U but this school blew them out of the water. It may have blown WSU out of the water. We will see.

What makes you say that?
PNWU resognated with me better than the other two DO schools. The students came off incredibly competent, way more competent than I have felt at other schools (including MD). The program has a sim lab up to par with WSUs and their interview process impressed me more. They truly did care about the person. WSU said they did but then never gave a chance to show them who you were in the interview. Also, wsu doesn't quite have their act together. They are taking it year by year so no real plan is put in place for years 3 and 4. And at PNWU they have everything perfectly scheduled out with the test scores and residencies to prove it.

Last edited:
Pros/cons of living in Yakima?
The thing about this program that I noticed was that it was much harder seeming than any of the other 3 I went to. They went to mandatory lecture 8-5, studied 5pm-12am. Slept and did it the next day. They had very frequent testing as well. The thing is, when you have a schedule like that, it kind of seemed nice to be away from the city or from people you know. And then when things calm down in years 3&4, you go elsewhere around the PNW. Likely I would end up back home in Spokane those last couple years.

Yakima does have a bunch out outdoorsy stuff similar to Spokane but it's definitely not an entertainment hub but there are worse places to live.

PNWU has mandatory lecture?
That's what they made it sound like. I'm pretty sure it's mandatory. PNWU was definitely not the easy route through medical school. At Still, Western, even WSU had more lax programs. But I kid you not, it showed in the students. They were competent and put together.
At other interviews I've been like "wow these are just regular kids like me" and at PNWU it was like "yep these kids are gonna be doctors". It was not the program for the faint of heart. It's a tough one with the outcomes to show it. Definitely not for everyone!

That's what they made it sound like. I'm pretty sure it's mandatory. PNWU was definitely not the easy route through medical school. At Still, Western, even WSU had more lax programs. But I kid you not, it showed in the students. They were competent and put together.
At other interviews I've been like "wow these are just regular kids like me" and at PNWU it was like "yep these kids are gonna be doctors". It was not the program for the faint of heart. It's a tough one with the outcomes to show it. Definitely not for everyone!

Echo the positive sentiments about this program! Students appear very competent at PNWU.

It is my understanding that most PNWU lectures do not have required attendance. However, a number of them (I can't remember which ones... I don't think it was all of them though) have clicker questions that select a student to answer at random. If you aren't there when your name/picture pops up, you lose points. So it is effectively required attendance for whatever classes have clicker questions, unless one can afford the lost points (unknown how much these are worth). Wish I remember what subset had those.

Labs are mandatory and any class that has a quiz at the end (though you could just come in at the time of the quiz...)

Classes aren’t mandatory otherwise, but most people show up to class anyways. There are also faculty directed study sessions for you to do on your own. On those days you can just stay at home unless you have a lab that day.

Reactions: 3 users
All of the interview dates are past February now? I just submitted my secondary today, I was wondering if it's too late after seeing all the acceptances?

All of the interview dates are past February now? I just submitted my secondary today, I was wondering if it's too late after seeing all the acceptances?
I'll posit that you have reduced your chances by applying this late but still have a chance for an interview that gets you a spot in the class, not waitlisted. DO cycle goes later than MD. Also I don't know this for sure.

I don't know if I'm posting this in the proper section or even allowed to say this, but how did everyone get to their interviews? I'm hesitant on using the shuttling service since I'm afraid I may be late, so I'm thinking about renting a car. And thoughts about flying to Seattle instead of Yakima simply because its ~$30 cheaper and is better timing for me?

Yakima is still at least a 2 hour drive from Seattle and depending on when you go, you might have some challenges crossing the mountains.

I'll posit that you have reduced your chances by applying this late but still have a chance for an interview that gets you a spot in the class, not waitlisted. DO cycle goes later than MD. Also I don't know this for sure.
Because I took the MCAT for the second time on 9/9, so my score didn't come out until 10/10. I improved 10 points on my second MCAT; I think that's why I was offered the secondary application yesterday. Unless they hand out secondary to everyone?

I don't know if I'm posting this in the proper section or even allowed to say this, but how did everyone get to their interviews? I'm hesitant on using the shuttling service since I'm afraid I may be late, so I'm thinking about renting a car. And thoughts about flying to Seattle instead of Yakima simply because its ~$30 cheaper and is better timing for me?
I am not sure what your best choice is, as I don't know the reliability of the shuttle service. Also not sure what kind of Uber/Lyft/Taxi service is available in Yakima as a back up.

Just FYI, there have very recently been a bunch of lane closures on the mountain pass road that goes from Seattle to Yakima, so try to pad your expected drive time to be safe. I am not sure how it will look once you come out here, however.

Well, my first rejection had to come eventually! Best of luck to the rest of you :)
(LizzyM 68. I did not have a DO letter or DO shadowing and I am OOS/out-of-region with only weak ties to WA.)

Last edited:
Yay! Third rejection! On the verge of giving up.
It's ok... I got rejected to about 4-5 before I got my first interview too. It'll happen!! And then it's rainbows and unicorns. Kind of.

Waitlisted. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same dilemma. I ended up going with the rental car for that same reason.

Hi! I've searched this thread for what the interview is like here but no one responded to the previous people who asked ... so I am going to ask again: what was the interview like and what was the interview day like?

II today. The dates they offered were March 2 and April 6. They will likely be interviewing for the waitlist by them. Hopefully I can get in sooner.

Congratulations physicianhopeful 123456 on your acceptance!

II today. The dates they offered were March 2 and April 6. They will likely be interviewing for the waitlist by them. Hopefully I can get in sooner.

Congratulations physicianhopeful 123456 on your acceptance!
Got that email today too. Hopefully March 2 will be early enough not to be strictly for a waitlist seat.

II today too! Complete since September 7th

Last edited:
They must have a lot of people interviewed already? if they are scheduling out to March

They must have a lot of people interviewed already? if they are scheduling out to March
They only have 9 interview days this cycle and they are evenly spaced out. March might be among the last.