2017-2018 Pennsylvania State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted. Interview end of Jan. OOS

Does any accepted student receive any merit/need-based scholarship or everything is in the financial aid package?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Any of youaccepted from the 2/9 interview day?!

Congrats to everyone accepted!! Did any of the people who got accepted interview on 02/12?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how many 3rd and 4th years get to do their rotations at the Hershey medical center and how many have to go somewhere else??

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have any info on second look next weekend? Wondering what time stuff will go til on saturday.

Withdrew acceptance. Good luck you guys! It appears to be an absolutely fantastic school.

Reactions: 5 users
Are there events around the day? (Friday and sunday) I’m still waiting for this email

You guys have mentioned the days but what date is the second look? I really wish I had heard back from my early November interview by now, not sure if I should even have hope... Is there anyone from 2017 interview still waiting to hear back? I emailed them end of February after those decisions came out and they said my application is still under review post-interview. Was hoping this time I'd at least get a hold for closure.

You guys have mentioned the days but what date is the second look? I really wish I had heard back from my early November interview by now, not sure if I should even have hope... Is there anyone from 2017 interview still waiting to hear back? I emailed them end of February after those decisions came out and they said my application is still under review post-interview. Was hoping this time I'd at least get a hold for closure.

April 7

Does anyone have information on submitting the deposit? Or when we will recieve information about it?

I am still waiting to hear back and I interviewed around late January...you're not alone :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the committee hold email, interviewed end of January. This = waitlist, right?

I am still waiting to hear back and I interviewed around late January...you're not alone :(
Actually just got the hold email post November interview. Expected that I guess, but they did leave me hanging for quite the while. Hopefully it's better news for u at the end of this month.

Actually just got the hold email post November interview. Expected that I guess, but they did leave me hanging for quite the while. Hopefully it's better news for u at the end of this month.
Is a straight up rejection a possibility too? Or would they have done that instead of a hold if they deemed it necessary?

I still have not received an email from PSU. Guess I still have to wait..

Is a straight up rejection a possibility too? Or would they have done that instead of a hold if they deemed it necessary?
I have yet to see a single post interview rejection at Penn State. I believe they only accept or "hold" whatever that may mean. They do specify that you may be accepted in case withdrawals happen before class begins (inferring a wait list?). Since I've seen a lot of acceptances and a lot of holds, I don't know how good of a chance the applicants on this "hold" wait list have as no one seems to have been rejected and the waiting list of applicants may be quite long.

I have yet to see a single post interview rejection at Penn State. I believe they only accept or "hold" whatever that may mean. They do specify that you may be accepted in case withdrawals happen before class begins (inferring a wait list?). Since I've seen a lot of acceptances and a lot of holds, I don't know how good of a chance the applicants on this "hold" wait list have as no one seems to have been rejected and the waiting list of applicants may be quite long.

Someone I spoke to at my interview said she didn't get a rejection from PSU the first year she applied until late June or July 1 or something. Can't say if that's accurate to current policy or not, but I think it's pretty common practice that, unless an individual really bombs the interview, schools will keep you on the waitlist/hold until the class is full.

ETA: To repeat the line that I've gotten at every interview so far -- if you made it to the interview the school thinks you are qualified for a seat; the interview is to determine if you are a good fit for the school/student body and add another dimension to the OML

Quick question for everyone, was anybody accepted after they were placed on hold?

If I'm correct, I don't think anyone will be taken off the hold/waitlist until after April 30th

Edit: "Should your application remain active beyond the AMCAS reporting date of April 30, 2018, you will remain in the Hold category. If there are withdrawals prior to the start of classes, you may be considered for a position in the Entering Class of 2018."

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone received any additional info regarding second look day? I registered and got a confirmation email in which I was told I would get an email outlining details of the day about a week prior to second look day, but still nothing from admissions...

Does anybody know what % (on average) of applicants in the 2017-2018 cycle Penn State put on pre-II hold vs. pre-II rejection?

I was put on hold but I am just trying to figure out if this meant anything (i.e. they actually saw something in me), or the pre-II hold is something insignificant that they pretty much hand out to the many that didn't receive a pre-II rejection...

Does anybody know what % (on average) of applicants in the 2017-2018 cycle Penn State put on pre-II hold vs. pre-II rejection?

I was put on hold but I am just trying to figure out if this meant anything (i.e. they actually saw something in me), or the pre-II hold is something insignificant that they pretty much hand out to the many that didn't receive a pre-II rejection...

Well for what we were told interview invites are done being sent out.

Has anyone received any additional info regarding second look day? I registered and got a confirmation email in which I was told I would get an email outlining details of the day about a week prior to second look day, but still nothing from admissions...
+1, no additional info either by email or the FB group. Hoping they send it out soon since it's in 3 days...

edit: just received the email today at 1:50PM EST

Last edited:
Does anyone have information on submitting the deposit? Or when we will recieve information about it?
If I remember correctly, info regarding the deposit was stated in your acceptance packet sent via mail. I can double check when I get home from work, but I believe you're supposed to send a $100 check made payable to the school and sent to their address by April 30.

Are they going to be kind enough to send out official rejection emails for those of us that were stuck on pre-II hold?

Reactions: 5 users
Well for what we were told interview invites are done being sent out.

I understand interviews are done being sent out. My question was regarding the significance of a pre-II hold and whether these actually meant anything (e.g. the committee saw potential), or adcom pretty much sent them out to most applicants rather than sending rejections.

A few of us on here have been placed on hold and received II.

For those who went, how did people feel about second look day??

Finally rejected after being on hold (pre-II)

Just rejected. Really enjoyed the "Interview Denied" subject lol

Reactions: 6 users
For those who went, how did people feel about second look day??
Anyone willing to chip in on this? I am on post-interview hold but I did like the school during the interview. Would like to hear other's opinions of the school/student body during the second look. Also, how many people showed up? Did they mention anything about the hold-list movement for the not outright accepted? Appreciate any insights.

Got it: "..Although you were not selected for an interview, this decision should not be regarded as judgment of your potential as a medical student or physician.." Awh, warm fuzzies, rejection style.

Just got that interview denied e-mail! This whole process is so weird. Kinda forgot about this school but remember liking the program at the beginning of the cycle. They seem to be VERY OOS friendly and my stats are well above the medians, but not so much so that they would assume I would not attend. On the other hand, I have been accepted/waitlisted at reach schools that I thought would laugh me off. I find it all very interesting! Anyway good luck everyone

Reactions: 3 users
Finally got the interview denied email, took them long enough to reject me. I straight up forgot about them with how long they had me on hold.

+1, Interview Denied... On hold since October !!!