2017-2018 Pennsylvania State University

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I feel like if they didn't want an answer, they would've made it optional -- though of course I'm just guessing 🙂

My answer was essentially a 3-4 (short) sentence summary of my personal statement, so nothing new, but I recently received an II. I wouldn't be afraid of just re-affirming what you've already said.

Hmmmm yea that's fair. Maybe I'll write about my PhD training and why that makes me well-suited for medicine
 
Hershey is fairly rural. Within a 10 minute drive from the campus, you can get access to pretty much all stores you may want. We're roughly a 15-20 minute drive from Harrisburg for all the other places you may want. Nightlife scene isn't perfect and there are maybe 2-3 places students go in Hershey itself, and so most uber to Harrisburg where we have a fair amount of bars and clubs. In terms of entertainment and things to do, we have all the basic things you may want and lots of outdoor stuff to do (movie theaters, lots of restaurants, tons of hiking and biking trails, vineyards and breweries, and of course Hershey Park). Almost everybody has a car to get around. Let me know if you have any more specific questions.


wait is there a hospital attached or do you have to travel for rotations and such
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
wait is there a hospital attached or do you have to travel for rotations and such

The medical center and the COM are attached. We also have many smaller clinics and out-patient centers in the area. For rotations, Hershey has about 23 or so (don't quote me on this) rotation/patient navigation sites though. It's possible you'll be assigned to one of those for rotations and you might have to travel.
 
I am undergraduate Junior - recently completed my interview at Hershey medical school (early assurance program). Waiting for the decision.....

Hershey is quite and nice place. I did my initial school in Hershey school district. I have attended mini medial class in Hospital during my high school days; this is something open to public. I was impressed with doctors/professors, sharing the information in a simple way.

Best wishes to all of you... Hope to see you in coming years. If u need any local information let me know...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
no I mean do they send out early rejections or is it silence until the very end if no interview
Oh I understand. From last year's thread, it looks like there is such thing as a pre-II "hold" status and pre-II rejections in early October. Some people from the hold status eventually get interviews in the spring.
 
Is anyone else taking a while to get the complete email? I submitted everything on 8/16 but no email yet
 
Just sent in my secondary, got the completion email about a minute afterwards. Also I'm guessing II are sent through email?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lizzy 70 URM. I have no ties to Pennsylvania. I was complete on 8/6. I got my primary done in like early July but was dragging my feet.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
I haven't heard too many specifics. But I had a quick chat with the dean this week and there ARE definite differences. I wouldn't be worried about it though. They've had 3rd/4th years up there for a long time. It may be a better atmosphere for younger college students as opposed to Hershey which is much quieter, with significantly less night life. I think the facilities may be better at the Hershey campus (huge academic center, lvl 1 trauma etc) but don't quote me on that.

Do you apply to one or the other, spend years 1 and 2 and once and 3 and 4 at the other, or something different? Is it easier to get into one campus or the other?
 
Do you apply to one or the other, spend years 1 and 2 and once and 3 and 4 at the other, or something different? Is it easier to get into one campus or the other?

This year marked the first year when we had an MS1 class start at State College. As far as I know, you had to indicate interest in that program and interview for it on top of your normal interview. For you guys applying, you'd be spending either all 4 years at Hershey or all 4 at UP. I don't know if it is necessarily easier to get into one or the other. The class at Hershey is 140 people and the UP class is only 12 students. So it seems more selective I suppose but if you asked most of the students in my class, none of them would want to be at UP. Based on student opinion the Hershey campus is absolutely the way to go.
 
This year marked the first year when we had an MS1 class start at State College. As far as I know, you had to indicate interest in that program and interview for it on top of your normal interview. For you guys applying, you'd be spending either all 4 years at Hershey or all 4 at UP. I don't know if it is necessarily easier to get into one or the other. The class at Hershey is 140 people and the UP class is only 12 students. So it seems more selective I suppose but if you asked most of the students in my class, none of them would want to be at UP. Based on student opinion the Hershey campus is absolutely the way to go.
Just adding to that... I've met a few people doing the 2+2 program (which is 2 years at Hershey, 2 years at University Park, I think this program is being dissolved by the new 4 year UP program), and they've really loved it -- but it also suits what they're interested in doing, which seemed to be mostly primary care of some sort or small town/rural Pennsylvania careers. Those kind of goals seem to benefit from the one-on-one, community-centered clinical experiences at UP. But if you want experience with any kind of acute cases, you'll run into the fact that UP simply doesn't have a major clinical campus, just a small-ish community hospital (~250 beds maybe?). It just can't compare to Hershey's range of clinical experiences and facilities.
 
Just adding to that... I've met a few people doing the 2+2 program (which is 2 years at Hershey, 2 years at University Park, I think this program is being dissolved by the new 4 year UP program), and they've really loved it -- but it also suits what they're interested in doing, which seemed to be mostly primary care of some sort or small town/rural Pennsylvania careers. Those kind of goals seem to benefit from the one-on-one, community-centered clinical experiences at UP. But if you want experience with any kind of acute cases, you'll run into the fact that UP simply doesn't have a major clinical campus, just a small-ish community hospital (~250 beds maybe?). It just can't compare to Hershey's range of clinical experiences and facilities.

I agree. Hershey just has much better facilities and opportunities for all specialties. I think even for primary care track. For those considering applying, keep in mind that UP students also do not have in-person lectures as far as I am aware (all lectures here at Hershey are recorded and made available online and that's what they get). So if having lecture in-person and being able to talk to your professor is important for you, UP might not be ideal. Also UP program is only ~12 kids (I think one has deferred this year so they're down to 11), which can be a pro or a con for some people.
 
Anyone know how long after submitting secondaries they inform you regarding interview? App complete 9/5. Stats MCAT 513; 3.7 undergrad GPA (foreign), 3.86 graduate GPA
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree. Hershey just has much better facilities and opportunities for all specialties. I think even for primary care track. For those considering applying, keep in mind that UP students also do not have in-person lectures as far as I am aware (all lectures here at Hershey are recorded and made available online and that's what they get). So if having lecture in-person and being able to talk to your professor is important for you, UP might not be ideal. Also UP program is only ~12 kids (I think one has deferred this year so they're down to 11), which can be a pro or a con for some people.

Thanks! This is pretty much what I was looking for. For me, id love to go to a big state school campus like PSU even if there are only 12 people in my class. What are the pros and cons of such a small class?
 
Thanks! This is pretty much what I was looking for. For me, id love to go to a big state school campus like PSU even if there are only 12 people in my class. What are the pros and cons of such a small class?

The school and hospital are a little "off-campus' fyi (they're very close to Beaver Stadium). Not sure if you'd be able to walk from the med school "campus" to the main campus itself given the highway, but yes, you are very close and can definitely partake in that big state school life style (football games, parties, etc). For me, the tiny class size is a con. I can't imagine only having 10 or so people in my pool of friends for 4 years (that's assuming that you get along with every person in that group as well). It just seems way too tight knit of a community for me. Honestly I can see it being the opposite of that big state school feel you want if you see the same 10 faces every single day. It's all preference.
 
for those that got interviews, what was your non clinical volunteering like? i don't have much, like ~50 hours, so I was wondering if this will be an issue here

i do have 2000 + scribing hours