You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2017-2018 Pennsylvania State University
Started by Lucca
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Complete date?
Placed on hold a few moments ago. Complete 7/30. URM
On hold. Taking that as a rejection
+1Also placed on hold. Was put on hold two years ago and then subsequently rejected pre-II. Is on hold basically a rejection orrrr does anyone know otherwise?
Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile
Also on hold, oh well
Just got placed on hold, complete mid September. LM 70 OOS.
I don't think anyone has gotten rejected yet right? Meaning they either like you enough to interview or they put you on hold. If they rejected people then I guess being put on hold would be a good thing because they're showing interest. Oh well =/
I don't think anyone has gotten rejected yet right? Meaning they either like you enough to interview or they put you on hold. If they rejected people then I guess being put on hold would be a good thing because they're showing interest. Oh well =/
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also placed on hold about 45 minutes ago. Should I be disappointed? Penn State is ranked very highly on my personal school list. Does anyone know what the outlook for an interview is after being placed in this catergory? IS, non-URM, LM 67, complete 07/22.
Last edited:
Complete 07/22 and still nothing. Anyone else??
Yep. Complete mid-August and silence.Complete 07/22 and still nothing. Anyone else??
Yep. Complete mid-August and silence.
+2, complete mid-August as well
So what is the consensus on hold vs silence? I haven't here a peep, complete on the 7/13.
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
+2, complete mid-August as well
Same - complete Aug 14
Just to get alert.Same - complete Aug 14
Sigh. Thank you for finding this out.So I searched through last year's thread and it said that according to the previous year, pre-II hold gets reviewed around Feb for March interview

Silence on my side, complete in late August
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So I searched through last year's thread and it said that according to the previous year, pre-II hold gets reviewed around Feb for March interview
Did you happen to notice if anyone received pre-II rejections?
Yep.Did you happen to notice if anyone received pre-II rejections?
Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile
So everyone who hasn't gotten an interview is on hold or just silence?
No, I got a pre-interview rejection.So everyone who hasn't gotten an interview is on hold or just silence?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Regarding our status, do they update the portal or send out emails?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When were you complete?On hold. Taking that as a rejection
Silence too, complete 07/24
Silence as well. Interviewed here last year.
Hm, weird pattern-- people being put on-hold complete all the way from July till October. I was complete mid-August and still nothing. Wonder how they go through applications.
7/20 here and silenceHm, weird pattern-- people being put on-hold complete all the way from July till October. I was complete mid-August and still nothing. Wonder how they go through applications.
8/5
Also placed on hold. Was put on hold two years ago and then subsequently rejected pre-II. Is on hold basically a rejection orrrr does anyone know otherwise?
When were you complete?
.
Last edited:
I think it depends on the reviewer, some are faster than others.Hm, weird pattern-- people being put on-hold complete all the way from July till October. I was complete mid-August and still nothing. Wonder how they go through applications.
As someone from PA fly into pittsburgh airport or Harrisburg. Philly is very far away and cost a lot to travel via rental car.
Pittsburgh is farther away from Harrisburg than Philadelphia by a non-trivial amount. People are probably recommending flying into Philly because the Harrisburg airport is pretty small and has fewer flight options.
Complete 7/21, and silence o'er here.
7/15 and silence!
On hold notice today...
Hi all,
I was one of the five Medical Student Design Partners last year who helped to pilot and build the PSCOM University Park Program, and I'm currently one of the 12 students in the first year of the UP Program. I haven't checked this thread in a while and it looks like there are some odd misconceptions (for example, we do indeed have 12 MS1s in addition to the 12 MS3s and 18 MS4s here). I would be happy to answer any questions you might have as you're going through the admissions process at PSCOM and other schools. In a nutshell, the UP admissions process involves first being accepted by PSCOM in general following your interview in Hershey, after which time a subset of accepted students will be selected to come to UP for an interview event, and then UP acceptances will be decided thereafter.
The UP Program is built around experiential learning in the clinic, where you will spend 12 hours each week in a primary care clinic starting in the first month of MS1. You will quickly learn patient navigation skills and rooming skills, proceeding to a more clerkship-like experience by the winter of MS1. Clinic will provide you the opportunity to meet and work with patients and physicians who will hopefully inspire your curiosity with real patient stories. Each week you will write up a patient summary (much like a case presentation but including health systems and medical humanities information) which you will present to your Inquiry (IQ) Group, a team of six MS1s plus a physician. Each of the six students in the IQ group present their case for the week and then the group decides on which two cases will be the focus for the Wednesday and Friday seminar sessions. Working in this way, students get the opportunity to explore topics which interest them and which actually apply to the patients they are working with in clinic. This asynchronous and experiential learning setup helps to anchor our learning and make it quite practical. For example, my IQ has so far focused on diverse topics from HIV to trimalleolar ankle fractures to bipolar disorder to ectopic atrial tachycardia to pulmonary embolism. It is indeed a quite tight-knit group here, and that may not be the right fit for everyone but frankly we love it.
One other big misconception I've heard is that the program is only designed for rural or primary care-inclined people. If that description fits you, great, but we are by no means pushing anyone in a particular direction. I'm personally interested in specializing and working in an urban setting, and our students vary in a similar manner to the Hershey Program; the past few years of our Match agrees with this and I would expect we get more diverse in interests, not less, with the new UP Program curriculum.
In any case, I wanted to put out some correct information since I saw several people post about the UP Program. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Cheers.
I was one of the five Medical Student Design Partners last year who helped to pilot and build the PSCOM University Park Program, and I'm currently one of the 12 students in the first year of the UP Program. I haven't checked this thread in a while and it looks like there are some odd misconceptions (for example, we do indeed have 12 MS1s in addition to the 12 MS3s and 18 MS4s here). I would be happy to answer any questions you might have as you're going through the admissions process at PSCOM and other schools. In a nutshell, the UP admissions process involves first being accepted by PSCOM in general following your interview in Hershey, after which time a subset of accepted students will be selected to come to UP for an interview event, and then UP acceptances will be decided thereafter.
The UP Program is built around experiential learning in the clinic, where you will spend 12 hours each week in a primary care clinic starting in the first month of MS1. You will quickly learn patient navigation skills and rooming skills, proceeding to a more clerkship-like experience by the winter of MS1. Clinic will provide you the opportunity to meet and work with patients and physicians who will hopefully inspire your curiosity with real patient stories. Each week you will write up a patient summary (much like a case presentation but including health systems and medical humanities information) which you will present to your Inquiry (IQ) Group, a team of six MS1s plus a physician. Each of the six students in the IQ group present their case for the week and then the group decides on which two cases will be the focus for the Wednesday and Friday seminar sessions. Working in this way, students get the opportunity to explore topics which interest them and which actually apply to the patients they are working with in clinic. This asynchronous and experiential learning setup helps to anchor our learning and make it quite practical. For example, my IQ has so far focused on diverse topics from HIV to trimalleolar ankle fractures to bipolar disorder to ectopic atrial tachycardia to pulmonary embolism. It is indeed a quite tight-knit group here, and that may not be the right fit for everyone but frankly we love it.
One other big misconception I've heard is that the program is only designed for rural or primary care-inclined people. If that description fits you, great, but we are by no means pushing anyone in a particular direction. I'm personally interested in specializing and working in an urban setting, and our students vary in a similar manner to the Hershey Program; the past few years of our Match agrees with this and I would expect we get more diverse in interests, not less, with the new UP Program curriculum.
In any case, I wanted to put out some correct information since I saw several people post about the UP Program. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Cheers.
placed on pre-interview hold
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
when were you complete?placed on pre-interview hold
what does a hold mean vs just silence?
Placed on pre-interview hold. Complete 7/18....
The age old question...I assume not good enough for an interview yet compared to the applicant pool, but not so horrible we have already shredded you application while laughing. Probably meet there standards, but they want to see if anyone else puts in an application that they find better, but have not reviewed yet.what does a hold mean vs just silence?
+1 complete early SeptPlaced on pre-interview hold. Complete 7/18....