2017-2018 Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (Rowan-SOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
kinda wondering if anyone could help me gather an opinion for next years cycle:
CGPA: 3.41
SGPA: 3.31
MCAT: 501 C/P - 126, CARS - 123:)() , B/B - 125, P/S - 127
IS
Good EC's and LOR
worth an app or probably not?
It cannot hurt to consider retaking the MCAT, but candidates with lower scores have been accepted. Science GPA is a tad on the low side, but if you have strong ECR's and LOR you should be okay. Also, Rowan does have an IS preference. and that's another plus. Best of luck!!

Members don't see this ad.

It cannot hurt to consider retaking the MCAT, but candidates with lower scores have been accepted. Science GPA is a tad on the low side, but if you have strong ECR's and LOR you should be okay. Also, Rowan does have an IS preference. and that's another plus. Best of luck!!

I know a few people who have gotten in with lower MCAT scores, but those same people have already done TONS of prior schooling (they hold a Doctorate/PhD already). If you are just an undergrad/one-year master's student , I'd say take the MCAT again.

Your GPA is a bit on the low side, try to improve it if you still have years left in undergrad. If you don't, an awesome MCAT score can make up for it though, and I do mean awesome.

I think you should try to improve your overall GPA to atleast 3.7, and sGPA to atleast 3.5 to ensure matriculation in some school somewhere next year (with your current MCAT). If not possible, try to increase your MCAT to 509-510 atleast to ensure matriculation (with current GPA).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got the call for hold list about two weeks ago. How often/should I be calling the admissions office for updates on my status? Does anyone know when they start taking people off the hold list? Someone wrote they're interviewing until April...with that being said should I even bother them until then?

Reactions: 1 user
I got the call for hold list about two weeks ago. How often/should I be calling the admissions office for updates on my status? Does anyone know when they start taking people off the hold list? Someone wrote they're interviewing until April...with that being said should I even bother them until then?

I called them and asked last week. Movement on the holdlist can start at anytime. It all depends on when theres spots available.

I called them and asked last week. Movement on the holdlist can start at anytime. It all depends on when theres spots available.

I thought they said they wouldn't be taking anyone off the hold list until they complete their last interview mid April. Is this not the case? I last called 2 weeks ago.

I thought they said they wouldn't be taking anyone off the hold list until they complete their last interview mid April. Is this not the case? I last called 2 weeks ago.

Thats not what I’ve heard. When I got the decision call, i heard that movement can start anytime whenever theres seats available. And then Jeannine told me the same thing when I called. So who knows.

Reactions: 1 users
Thats not what I’ve heard. When I got the decision call, i heard that movement can start anytime whenever theres seats available. And then Jeannine told me the same thing when I called. So who knows.
That's excellent news! I'm glad we might not have to wait that long! :)

Does anyone know if the admissions committee is meeting this week?

Members don't see this ad :)
They met last Friday. I called and that’s what they said .

Called today to find out about my status, hold list. Hoping To get off the list soon *crossing fingers*

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, so call me crazy but I got this letter in the mail and I wanted to know what you guys think. Someone who has been accepted to RowanSOM could you please tell me if this is what your acceptance letter looks like or is one of my friends playing a cruel joke. I'm scared to call the school and ask. Thanks in advance!
DO.jpg

Hey guys, so call me crazy but I got this letter in the mail and I wanted to know what you guys think. Someone who has been accepted to RowanSOM could you please tell me if this is what your acceptance letter looks like or is one of my friends playing a cruel joke. I'm scared to call the school and ask. Thanks in advance!View attachment 230135
Mine didn't look like that, but I was accepted in November - so it could have changed. Most people who get accepted get a call first, but a few people on this forum didn't receive a call and only got a letter. That would be a really cruel joke from your friends :/. I'd call and check.

Mine didn't look like that, but I was accepted in November - so it could have changed. Most people who get accepted get a call first, but a few people on this forum didn't receive a call and only got a letter. That would be a really cruel joke from your friends :/. I'd call and check.
Thank you so much for your feedback! Would you mind posting or DM'ing me a picture of your letter if you still have it and are ok with that (of course with all personal info removed).

Thank you so much for your feedback! Would you mind posting or DM'ing me a picture of your letter if you still have it and are ok with that (of course with all personal info removed).
Sure one sec, I'll DM you a screenshot.

Did people send an email to Dean Watkins post the interview even if she was not the one to interview you?

Has anyone who interviewed in February heard anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys, so call me crazy but I got this letter in the mail and I wanted to know what you guys think. Someone who has been accepted to RowanSOM could you please tell me if this is what your acceptance letter looks like or is one of my friends playing a cruel joke. I'm scared to call the school and ask. Thanks in advance!View attachment 230135

Sorry to say but theres a lot of stuff wrong with that letter.
The admission office address is wrong.
The acceptance deposit fee is 195 not 250.
Then the admissions committee meets first and third fridays of the month and March 1 as it says on the letter was a Thursday.
And also if they give out acceptance at this point of the cycle, you only have two weeks to accept it, but that letter says you have upto April 1. Lol

Why are you posting this on SDN? The appropriate and intelligent thing to do would be to call the school and confirm, and if your friend are pranking you... then you need new friends.

Reactions: 4 users
The address is supposed to be 113 Laurel road, not the academic center, since they changed the location now.
In addition, that also doesn't look like Dean Watkins' signature, at least not the recent one lol. Don't be afraid to call and ask.
Just ask if there are any updates on your application, since you haven't received a phone call yet.

If your friends did this, that's just cruel and immature. Smh, I would be pissed af.

Last edited:

Also for the love of god the spelling and grammar in that letter is awful. It’s sincerely, not sincerly.

Called today to find out about my status, hold list. Hoping To get off the list soon *crossing fingers*

Congrats!!! Do you mind sharing when you interviewed? I'm wary to call but also we were told not to expect to hear back at least 4-6 weeks post interview (interviewed Jan 31). I'm being patient so far but my hands are itching to call now...

Hey guys, I posted on this thread a while ago, but have some good news! I interviewed on Jan 17th and had not heard back at all. I called back about 2 weeks ago when I heard people from my date were getting calls for the hold list and they said that my file was still under review. Another two weeks went by, and I was still kind of worried so i called earlier today. Turns out i was put on the hold list, I just didnt get a call for it! (i dont know if they didnt get to it or they just forgot) I heard the same thing, that whenever there is movement, they will let me know! Good luck to the rest of you guys applying and waiting to hear back!

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats!!! Do you mind sharing when you interviewed? I'm wary to call but also we were told not to expect to hear back at least 4-6 weeks post interview (interviewed Jan 31). I'm being patient so far but my hands are itching to call now...

Thank you! I interviewed 1/27 and there is nothing wrong with calling. Everyone is very nice and I’m sure they can give you an update. Good luck!

Interviewed 1/18, Hold list.

Apparently some of the interviewers haven't made calls yet, so nobody get too discouraged yet!

Thank you! I interviewed 1/27 and there is nothing wrong with calling. Everyone is very nice and I’m sure they can give you an update. Good luck!
Hey I also interviewed on that day, when you called did they say when we would find out?

Hey I also interviewed on that day, when you called did they say when we would find out?
They said they discussed my application last Friday so I’m not sure if they go to go over everyone in our group. You can call and they should be able to let you know :)

They said they discussed my application last Friday so I’m not sure if they go to go over everyone in our group. You can call and they should be able to let you know :)

Did they call you or did you find out by calling? Sorry not sure if I already asked you

Hey, I don't know if you figured it out already or not, but that letter doesn't look real. The grammar is too juvenile to be written by a medical school. Compared to the letter I got in November, the difference is night and day. And of course as mentioned earlier, the address is wrong and Dean Watkins' signature is wrong. I'd be really surprised if it's real, but hey you never know! Call them and ask, I'm curious now.

People finding out about acceptance or HL, have you seen any change on your Rowan portal?

Did anyone else who filled out the survey get another email asking to fill it out? Looking forward to meeting you all at accepted students day!

Mine did not look like that, and was much better (and more warmly) phrased. The deposit is $195, the address is different, as is Dean Watkins' signature. All you can do is call and ask. I'm so sorry if its a practical joke, or a scam. I hope everything works out for you.

Last edited:
Did anyone else who filled out the survey get another email asking to fill it out? Looking forward to meeting you all at accepted students day!

I did, I just filled it out again to be sure. Can't be two people with the exact same name so even if it shows up twice it doesn't seem like a big deal. Hope to see ya there!

Rowan just sent out emails this morning saying a fraudulent letter had been received...

@DO2022! Had you interviewed at RowanSOM? You should definitely change your email and med school related passwords just in case. I hope Rowan really does have good news for you, or some other DO school if not.

Wow the fraudulent letter thing was cruel af. Targeting the already stressed out applicants this late in the cycle.

One question though, did the letter mention any specific way/account to transfer the money? If not, I was thinking that if someone thought this was legit, they would send the money to RowanSOM and the school will just decline it. So what's in it for the scammer?