2017-2018 Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (Rowan-SOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone who has interviewed already hear back today?

Members don't see this ad.

Question to those who have been admitted already. I got a letter today saying I’m on the alternate list. Is that the waitlist or hold list? Or something different all together? I’m planning on calling Monday to find out.

Question to those who have been admitted already. I got a letter today saying I’m on the alternate list. Is that the waitlist or hold list? Or something different all together? I’m planning on calling Monday to find out.

I would assume that if there is no mention of matriculating next year with a 100% gruarantee, that you’ve more than likely been place on the hold list. I really have no idea and you’d be better off calling and asking lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I would assume that if there is no mention of matriculating next year with a 100% gruarantee, that you’ve more than likely been place on the hold list. I really have no idea and you’d be better off calling and asking lol
alternate is wait list, no guaranteed seat

Reactions: 1 user
Received a II today, was in my junk mail. Calendar only showed one available date which was in April. Seems very late, not sure if I'm still interviewing for an acceptance at that point??

Received a II today, was in my junk mail. Calendar only showed one available date which was in April. Seems very late, not sure if I'm still interviewing for an acceptance at that point??
At this point you are only interviewing for the alternate or hold list. Their class has already been filled for the 2018 entering class according to previous posts.

Hey guys! A question for everyone who's been accepted. I was just looking on the portal and under the "admissions offer" tab where it has the matriculation checklist, none of the requirements are checked off. Just wondering if this is the same with everyone or just me? I sent in my deposit a while ago and even called to confirm, but I guess I'm just being paranoid right now lol.

Hey guys! A question for everyone who's been accepted. I was just looking on the portal and under the "admissions offer" tab where it has the matriculation checklist, none of the requirements are checked off. Just wondering if this is the same with everyone or just me? I sent in my deposit a while ago and even called to confirm, but I guess I'm just being paranoid right now lol.

It's the same for me, too. I also paid a while ago I just think we aren't in the electronic system yet since it is relatively new. I'm sure we are up-to-date in the paper copies at the office.

It's the same for me, too. I also paid a while ago I just think we aren't in the electronic system yet since it is relatively new. I'm sure we are up-to-date in the paper copies at the office.

OMG you have no idea how much better this made me feel lol. I had a little panic attack when i saw the portal but it makes sense the electronic payment system wasn't up when we submitted our deposits

OMG you have no idea how much better this made me feel lol. I had a little panic attack when i saw the portal but it makes sense the electronic payment system wasn't up when we submitted our deposits
Haha I did too, tiny moment of panic. However, I asked a while ago if they received my deposit and they said they received it a day after I sent the check. So I think we are good.

My portal is also showing nothing submitted, but one thing I did notice is that if you go to the Communication Status page you should see a confirmation of your deposit being accepted even if you didn’t get any email about it. (I didn’t get one but it still shows up there.) It’s just nice to see it in writing lol.

Reactions: 1 users
My portal is also showing nothing submitted, but one thing I did notice is that if you go to the Communication Status page you should see a confirmation of your deposit being accepted even if you didn’t get any email about it. (I didn’t get one but it still shows up there.) It’s just nice to see it in writing lol.
Oh that's a cool tip! Mine doesn't have that, but I'm guessing that's because I emailed the office directly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I checked my portal and nothing is listed as accepted either. (deposit sent in Nov, background check in Dec, transcripts in Jan). I did get a confirmation for the deposit.

And for everyone on the wait-list or hold list... hang in there. Its an awful place to be in. I spent two years in your position, and that last stretch of winter where everyone is going "What an awesome school! Everyone is so kind and welcoming! See you all in August!" can get really painful. Keep trying to build your applications. Do what you can do step outside your comfort zone and shore up your weaknesses. Its not over until you stop applying.

Hey guys. Got the call yesterday from Dr. Griesback about being put on the hold list! I was too excited to think to ask him any questions, so I'm gonna post them here:
-Is the Hold List ranked? Or are applicants accepted chronologically from when they were put on it? Or neither?
-Is there anything I can do to improve chances of being taken off the List sooner rather than later e.g. updates, new letters of rec, etc.? If that is the case, where should we upload those documents?
-Any idea what the time frame is for movement on the Hold List?

Good luck to everyone still going through the interview process!

Hey guys. Got the call yesterday from Dr. Griesback about being put on the hold list! I was too excited to think to ask him any questions, so I'm gonna post them here:
-Is the Hold List ranked? Or are applicants accepted chronologically from when they were put on it? Or neither?
-Is there anything I can do to improve chances of being taken off the List sooner rather than later e.g. updates, new letters of rec, etc.? If that is the case, where should we upload those documents?
-Any idea what the time frame is for movement on the Hold List?

Good luck to everyone still going through the interview process!

congratulations! when did you interview?

congratulations! when did you interview?
12/14. I was actually originally supposed to interview in October but my flight was cancelled and I couldn't make it. Another applicant was nice enough to switch interview dates with me. So whoever you are, thank you!

I checked my portal and nothing is listed as accepted either. (deposit sent in Nov, background check in Dec, transcripts in Jan). I did get a confirmation for the deposit.

And for everyone on the wait-list or hold list... hang in there. Its an awful place to be in. I spent two years in your position, and that last stretch of winter where everyone is going "What an awesome school! Everyone is so kind and welcoming! See you all in August!" can get really painful. Keep trying to build your applications. Do what you can do step outside your comfort zone and shore up your weaknesses. Its not over until you stop applying.

Preach.

I think a lot of people only see the acceptances and not a lot of people realize that a majority of us, MD or DO end up being wait or hold listed the first time applying. A lot of people don’t make it the first go around and as much as I’d hate to say it, it feels like a game of chance. You’ll see someone with numbers loser than yours getting acceptance to some MD programs before you’re even given a shot at any DO ones. The whole process for me was extremely stressful, but almost in a good way. It really makes you sit down and reconsider chasing after something that will be life consuming for years to come. This is something that you REALLY have to want and if you want it bad enough, you can make it happen.

how do you guys find about being in the hold list? is it through snail mail? or portal update?

Hey all,

I was accepted a little over a month ago, but I never received any information to create a portal log-in, etc. Can anybody give me any more information regarding that? Thanks in advance.

Hey all,

I was accepted a little over a month ago, but I never received any information to create a portal log-in, etc. Can anybody give me any more information regarding that? Thanks in advance.

I don't have any either, it's the portal you submitted your secondary through. It really has nothing to do with school.

how do you guys find about being in the hold list? is it through snail mail? or portal update?
phone call, followed by a letter that was sent maybe 2 weeks later (for me, at least)

So I just logged onto the portal and found a letter stating hold list. It was just uploaded today so I guess the call is coming soon. Hoping for movement!

Reactions: 3 users
So I just logged onto the portal and found a letter stating hold list. It was just uploaded today so I guess the call is coming soon. Hoping for movement!
nice!! did you interview in january? or before that?

01/10 Interview, put on hold. Crossing my fingers that the list gets exhausted..soon!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed December 14th and still have not heard anything - I was told on 1/24 that I would hear back after the next adcom meeting. Those of you who are on the alternate list, do you have anything on your portal?

Nevermind!! was placed on hold list I was not looking in the right spot on the portal!

Does anyone know if there are portal changes if you get rejected pre-II?

- I’m a potato.

Does anyone know if they tell you if you haven't been invited for an interview? Or do they just ignore you.

Does anyone know if they tell you if you haven't been invited for an interview? Or do they just ignore you.

They'll send final decision emails/letters at the end of the interview cycle. This is more than most schools do.

to anyone on the alternate list.. is there anything i should do to show im still interested? unsure if the school accepts update letters/letters of interest. thanks!

so i have an interview later this week. Does that mean I am interview for a HL spot? Should I still go? ( im OOS btw). I already have an acceptance to VCOM-Virgina. How would you compare the 2?

Thanks

Do you want to attend Rowan?

If so, go to the interview. If not, don’t go.

I would say look at your finances, see which can you comfortably afford (VCOM vs RowanSOM OOS). Rowan is reputed, old, public and established. I dont know anything about VCOM. All med schools in the country are atleast minimally competent at producing good docs thanks to those accreditation agencies. So I wouldn't care which one I go to personally. The main reason I chose RowanSOM among my other acceptances was the student population here.
so i have an interview later this week. Does that mean I am interview for a HL spot? Should I still go? ( im OOS btw). I already have an acceptance to VCOM-Virgina. How would you compare the 2?

Thanks