2017-2018 SUNY - Buffalo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected 3 times in 4minutes by UB. It’s a cold world out here

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a second look day?

Yes the rumors are true. Im a statistician

Technically right now that may not be true as a large proportion of people on the wait list who will eventually be accepted are probably below the median. So most accepted applicants are probably above the median now.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure how this question is going to go over but here it goes. I use marjuana infrequently and would like to know if anyone knows UB's policy on drug testing MS1s. Is it time quit for good?

• Haha
I wanted to send a LOI and called the admissions office to ask where I can email it to but was told it probably wouldn't make an impact at this point... Does that mean they've filled all the seats? I still sent it btw :p

I wanted to send a LOI and called the admissions office to ask where I can email it to but was told it probably wouldn't make an impact at this point... Does that mean they've filled all the seats? I still sent it btw :p

I don't think the seats are filled. The last interview day is in late April and they have said they don't fill their class until after this day. I have heard that Buffalo tends to waitlist a good amount of interviewees and figures out who they'll accept towards the end of the cycle. I have also heard of a lot of waitlist movement once May rolls around. Are you waitlisted or still waiting to hear a decision post II?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think the seats are filled. The last interview day is in late April and they have said they don't fill their class until after this day. I have heard that Buffalo tends to waitlist a good amount of interviewees and figures out who they'll accept towards the end of the cycle. I have also heard of a lot of waitlist movement once May rolls around. Are you waitlisted or still waiting to hear a decision post II?
I'm currently waitlisted.

Looks like the class of '22 facebook group is up!

Interviewing here this week. Any last minute words of advice or important insights into interview day?

Does anyone know if Buffalo does a second look day or the equivalent later in the cycle? I am waitlisted here but would like to see it again if I get off the waitlist.

Rejected post Interview, even though I am set on another school it stings a little.

Not sure if somebody before me has posted this already, but BEWARE the interview-day surprise short-answer essay question which DOES get considered as part of your completed application! They hand it out under the guise of 'we use this during the white coat ceremony to talk about you,' but when I asked the dean she confirmed that your interviewers do read it. The question is something to the effect of 'choose a personal flaw with which you struggle and describe how you hope to improve upon it.' (A fellow interviewee also said that both his faculty brought it up during his interviews.)

For the sake of disclosure, I interviewed 3/28 and was rejected, but will be happier anyway attending closer to home.

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure if somebody before me has posted this already, but BEWARE the interview-day surprise short-answer essay question which DOES get considered as part of your completed application! They hand it out under the guise of 'we use this during the white coat ceremony to talk about you,' but when I asked the dean she confirmed that your interviewers do read it. The question is something to the effect of 'choose a personal flaw with which you struggle and describe how you hope to improve upon it.'
It's not a surprise anymore if you mention it here! The question my group got was different, though. :)

How flexible are profs on working with you on scheduling conflicts? I was asked to give a talk at a conference in October and could potentially miss a day or two of class.

According to my friends who were accepted last year, they start waitlist movement around mid April. Best of luck everyone the wait is almost over!

Anyone on the waitlist sending letters of interest or updates, or does the post-interview score determine everything in terms of being accepted?

Anyone that was waitlisted here: were you told if you ranked closer to the top or bottom, or was everyone told that they were ranked?

Anyone that was waitlisted here: were you told if you ranked closer to the top or bottom, or was everyone told that they were ranked?
They told us not to ask about our ranking. They used to tell in past years, but not anymore.

Does anyone know if Buffalo has had any talks about moving to a true P/F? I know they have honors now.

Does anyone know if Buffalo has had any talks about moving to a true P/F? I know they have honors now.

I heard from a current student during interview day that it has been discussed before by the administration but there hasn't been movement because a very small minority doesn't want P/F. Apparently, it might still happen eventually.

I heard from a current student during interview day that it has been discussed before by the administration but there hasn't been movement because a very small minority doesn't want P/F. Apparently, it might still happen eventually.

Bet that minority is the group of kids who get Honors on everything :laugh:

Today is the last interview date. Should be seeing some WL movement from tomorrow ?

Today is the last interview date. Should be seeing some WL movement from tomorrow ?
I would guess probably most movement will occur after traffic day when they know who is accepting their seat

I would guess probably most movement will occur after traffic day when they know who is accepting their seat
The first day of waitlist movement last year was 4/17. Buffalo gets moving early.

The first day of waitlist movement last year was 4/17. Buffalo gets moving early.
That's what I saw in last year's thread. And that's what I would like to see too...:claps:. Good to ALL on the WL !

Reactions: 4 users
Eagerly hoping for waitlist movement, so sick of waiting...

Is there any chance that my approval to be added to the SNMA Second Look Weekend 2018 is a mistake? Or means nothing? This is a closed group that I requested permission to join as soon as I was sent the link (the day before my flight for interview), the only admins for the group are SNMA Buffalo and the admissions office administrative assistant... But my status still says waitlist, I haven't received any official email, and I've called the office twice this morning with no response. Also, since I requested about 4 weeks ago, other people have been approved to join before I have.
My undergrad did something similar with their minority students, inviting them to a weekend before sending the official acceptance, but there was an official invitation in that case. I haven't literally been invited, just allowed to join the group and as a result could click RSVP for the event. Has anyone else been through this or know how to interpret?? There's just been so much uncertainty through this whole process I'm going crazy.

Thanks in advance,

Is there any chance that my approval to be added to the SNMA Second Look Weekend 2018 is a mistake? Or means nothing? This is a closed group that I requested permission to join as soon as I was sent the link (the day before my flight for interview), the only admins for the group are SNMA Buffalo and the admissions office administrative assistant... But my status still says waitlist, I haven't received any official email, and I've called the office twice this morning with no response. Also, since I requested about 4 weeks ago, other people have been approved to join before I have.
My undergrad did something similar with their minority students, inviting them to a weekend before sending the official acceptance, but there was an official invitation in that case. I haven't literally been invited, just allowed to join the group and as a result could click RSVP for the event. Has anyone else been through this or know how to interpret?? There's just been so much uncertainty through this whole process I'm going crazy.

Thanks in advance,

Hi, I'm not sure of all the conditions to be able to attend the second look weekend but I was accepted and sent two separate emails regarding second look. One was a link to the fb group (which states it's meant for accepted students) and another with the schedule and other information. It does seem the SNMA group is a little slower with letting people join. You should email admissions and ask whether you can go but I'm under the impression it's for accepted students.

I hope this helps!

Hi, I'm not sure of all the conditions to be able to attend the second look weekend but I was accepted and sent two separate emails regarding second look. One was a link to the fb group (which states it's meant for accepted students) and another with the schedule and other information. It does seem the SNMA group is a little slower with letting people join. You should email admissions and ask whether you can go but I'm under the impression it's for accepted students.

I hope this helps!

Yeah, I called again and admissions did confirm that it's for accepted students. And from you it sounds like they don't generally accept people into the facebook group before the official acceptance letter has been sent out. Maybe they didn't realize they emailed out the link beforehand and assumed only accepted students got it.... quite a bummer, but thanks a ton for your help :)

No waitlist movement so far. Based on the sdn buffalo thread last year there were some people that got off around this time before traffic day. Hopefully we start hearing soon.

No waitlist movement so far. Based on the sdn buffalo thread last year there were some people that got off around this time before traffic day. Hopefully we start hearing soon.
Hope this does not mean that there would be less movement this year...

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone here receive financial aid info/package yet??

When do they have second look?