2017-2018 SUNY - Upstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long after getting the acceptance email did people receive their package in the mail?

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed early december and got on the high priority waitlist a few days ago. Anyone know how these things go?

They told my interview group that there is typically a fair chance of coming off of that list. Depending on the year of course. Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how this High Priority Alternate list works? Like my main question is would it be possible to be accepted off this list at any time, or does it only come into effect in mid-May? The email doesn't really explain and it just says "we can update you on your chances in mid May."

Reactions: 1 user
Don't remember hearing or seeing anything about a second look day at my interview or in the acceptance email. Assuming there isn't one...?
There is typically a second look day. The date will be sent out a little later.

Edit: I checked my email. It was sent out late in February. Second look day was late in March.

Does anyone know how the financial aid is like? Any significant scholarships given?
PM-ed you back. Sorry for the delay.

Edit: I checked my email. It was sent out late in February. Second look day was late in March.

I was wondering the same thing. Do you mind if you PM-ed me about it as well? Any information is appreciated!

Thank you for checking! Do you mind PM'ing me that info as well?

Does anyone know whether or not the interviewers read your application?

Just withdrew from my 1/31 interview if anyone scheduled later wants to grab it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if SUNY Upstate gives out scholarships and if I would be eligible for one as a Canadian accepted to the program. Thanks!

I dont know why everybody is talking about scholarships or how one poster even got a full tuition scholarship (see previously). I remember being explicitly told during the interview that they do not give out scholarships and only give out need based financial aid.

I was placed on the pre-interview waitlist back in September and have yet to hear anything since then. Does anybody know if they accept pre-interview updates, and if so, how we should go about submitting them?

I dont know why everybody is talking about scholarships or how one poster even got a full tuition scholarship (see previously). I remember being explicitly told during the interview that they do not give out scholarships and only give out need based financial aid.
THIS^^

Every financial aid session I've sat in has said opportunities for scholarships are very low/rare, everything is loans/need based.

So perhaps the person(s) that received the scholarships are in the "rare" group. If this process has shown me anything, it's that anything can happen. And often does. I take every word spoken to me and every word read with a grain of salt.

The thing is during the interview they didn't say it was rare, they flat out said that they don't offer merit scholarships at all. So basically they lied to us then?

For those of you who have interviewed, how did you feel about the MMI? How did you prep?

For those of you who have interviewed, how did you feel about the MMI? How did you prep?
It was a pretty standard MMI with no surprises. I read the book "Multiple Mini Interview Mmi: Winning Strategies from Admissions Faculty" which made me feel a lot more confident and prepared for what to expect.

The thing is during the interview they didn't say it was rare, they flat out said that they don't offer merit scholarships at all. So basically they lied to us then?

Could be. Or maybe they didn't until they decided they did. And furthermore, the poster never said it was merit based. Perhaps it was a special case need-based scholarship.

Last edited:
So is the general consensus here that if your portal clears and there is no message in the place of your old interview information, that you have been waitlisted or rejected?

Accepted! Portal cleared with acceptance message. Interviewed earlier December, in state, LM 70. The utter relief of my first acceptance is incredible

Reactions: 5 users
Interviewed 12/11, I'm trying to log back into my portal and I can't even get to the place where my interview info and all the links telling you about the campus, etc. used to be. When I log in now I can just click on the 2018 link and then it just shows me that my app is complete. It's not that my portal is cleared it's that it doesn't exist anymore. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong or is that what it means when you're cleared? Thanks!

Edit: I see this happened to a couple others in the past but it seems like this means you're waitlisted or rejected. Can anyone give me some hope here that this isn't the case?

Last edited:
I'm not 100 percent sure I understand what you mean, but I interviewed around the same time as you. I was accepted earlier this month and all I can access is the "Fall 2018" link that leads me to that weird complete page. I don't have access to anything I had access to before the interview (those website links, interview page, etc..). I'm not sure how my portal looked just before the acceptance note popped up. I never received an acceptance email so I found out I was accepted through the portal. That message could've been there for days. Maybe the page you have now is simply what happens before any sort of decision is sent to you but has technically been made on their end. Good luck!

What you're describing that you have now is exactly how mine looks. Sorry I wasn't clearer in my description. Thank you so much for your reply. That's really helpful and makes me feel like this hopefully isn't an indication of bad news. Congrats on the acceptance and thanks again!

What you're describing that you have now is exactly how mine looks. Sorry I wasn't clearer in my description. Thank you so much for your reply. That's really helpful and makes me feel like this hopefully isn't an indication of bad news. Congrats on the acceptance and thanks again!

Of course! Hope you get that acceptance!!

Interviewed 12/11, I'm trying to log back into my portal and I can't even get to the place where my interview info and all the links telling you about the campus, etc. used to be. When I log in now I can just click on the 2018 link and then it just shows me that my app is complete. It's not that my portal is cleared it's that it doesn't exist anymore. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong or is that what it means when you're cleared? Thanks!

Edit: I see this happened to a couple others in the past but it seems like this means you're waitlisted or rejected. Can anyone give me some hope here that this isn't the case?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but this morning when I logged in it brought me to the same page it always does with a bunch of red writing about filling out secondaries for other programs, and then below it there would typically be the link to start a new application, then the link for my current 2018 application (which when you click gives you a grid with very very basic info about your app, like your name and that it's for doctor of medicine), and then underneath that it would say Congratulations on being selected for an interview! And it would have my interview date and a bunch of writing and what to expect at the interview, etc. Around 1:00pm this afternoon I logged back in and everything from Congratulations on being selected for an interview! down, was gone. There were only two links in its place, one to return to the previous page and another that I can't remember what it says but it's irrelevant. I researched this thread and every person who has been accepted so far has received a Congratulations on your acceptance message in the place of the interview information at the same time (or very shortly after) as their portal clearing (aka interview message disappearing). People who have had their portal clear with no message following have been put on HPA, hold, or have been rejected, and it takes 1-2 days to show up. Typically it's come up on a Thursday for most.

Hi everyone, I have an interview at SUNY Upstate coming up in a few weeks. Any general advice for the interview? Are there any current SUNY Upstate students on the forum I could connect with and ask some questions?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but this morning when I logged in it brought me to the same page it always does with a bunch of red writing about filling out secondaries for other programs, and then below it there would typically be the link to start a new application, then the link for my current 2018 application (which when you click gives you a grid with very very basic info about your app, like your name and that it's for doctor of medicine), and then underneath that it would say Congratulations on being selected for an interview! And it would have my interview date and a bunch of writing and what to expect at the interview, etc. Around 1:00pm this afternoon I logged back in and everything from Congratulations on being selected for an interview! down, was gone. There were only two links in its place, one to return to the previous page and another that I can't remember what it says but it's irrelevant. I researched this thread and every person who has been accepted so far has received a Congratulations on your acceptance message in the place of the interview information at the same time (or very shortly after) as their portal clearing (aka interview message disappearing). People who have had their portal clear with no message following have been put on HPA, hold, or have been rejected, and it takes 1-2 days to show up. Typically it's come up on a Thursday for most.

I have the same thing you are describing. I feared the same when I was reading through others' posts on this thread. However, I spoke to someone in admissions and they said everyone's portal will look this way prior to a decision (any decision) so I guess we'll wait and see. Rooting for both of us.

I have the same thing you are describing. I feared the same when I was reading through others' posts on this thread. However, I spoke to someone in admissions and they said everyone's portal will look this way prior to a decision (any decision) so I guess we'll wait and see. Rooting for both of us.

Thank you, I appreciate that. Best of luck!

High Priority Alternate - email at exactly 5PM EST

Does anyone know how this High Priority Alternate list works? Like my main question is would it be possible to be accepted off this list at any time, or does it only come into effect in mid-May? The email doesn't really explain and it just says "we can update you on your chances in mid May."
If I remember correctly, HPA will start getting "drawn" from after applicants are asked by AAMC to pick a school (which is in... April/May?). I would imagine this is because the schools themselves cannot fully predict the movement of accepted students. So after they're "forced" to pick a school, it's much less a guessing game for the schools. Additionally, there are still interviews going on.

Any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Just withdrew from my 02/07 interview. Good luck to y'all waiting for an invite/acceptance!!!!

Has anyone interviewed at both Buffalo and Upstate? (This includes current students - I'd love to hear about the factors you weighed in making your decision.) I'm interviewing at Buffalo early next month (was accepted to Upstate in November), and I'm wondering what people prefer in each place. (Really passionate about bioethics/palliative care and would like to be able to explore those interests in med school.)

hey all! I have an interview next week and I'm trying to be buy my bus ticket back home - my interview starts at 10:15 am. What time did the day finish? is 3 pm a good enough estimate? thanks!!

hey all! I have an interview next week and I'm trying to be buy my bus ticket back home - my interview starts at 10:15 am. What time did the day finish? is 3 pm a good enough estimate? thanks!!
probably a decent estimate. I had the 845slot when I went and I was done around 1230 or 1.

Just checked and portal is clear--I suppose this means a decision is on its way? Interviewed mid-December.

So I interviewed on 12/18, my portal cleared last Friday (1/26) but it just reverted back to the "Congratulations on being selected for an interview" page today (2/1)... any theories?

Reactions: 2 users
@reach04 someone I know had the same exact thing happen to them so youre not alone