2017-2018 University of Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For recently admitted students....I know it's only been about 3 days since traffic day but has anyone received their invite for the AAMC background check yet? Admissions told me that's all handled by them, but it'll probably take a few days to come (so it's not "immediately" like the checklist says). I guess traffic day really has them backed up?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Woke up this morning to MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE!!! SO EXCITED

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I remember this was discussed during interviews but it already feels like eons ago - for tuition purposes, can OOS students obtain IS status after staying in Iowa for 12 consecutive months? Or are there more extensive requirements beyond that?

I remember this was discussed during interviews but it already feels like eons ago - for tuition purposes, can OOS students obtain IS status after staying in Iowa for 12 consecutive months? Or are there more extensive requirements beyond that?

I don’t think you can attain it for being a student. Maybe you could if you own a home for 1+ year but I could be wrong.

I don’t think you can attain it for being a student. Maybe you could if you own a home for 1+ year but I could be wrong.

No and no, unfortunately. You keep your status from when you started.

Reactions: 1 users
Does adcom work during the weekend? I’d imagine not right?

Accepted! After all this struggle I have finally got in I can’t wait to begin!

Edit: I was in the mid twenties for the OOS waitlist for future pre med students looking back at previous threads

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users

Congrats!

On the other hand it looks like the IS list is pretty much done moving. No change in over a week.

Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats! I also just got got accepted last week. It's been one long journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
NICE CONGRATS SEE YOU IN AUGUST
I've lurked on this thread frequently over this past application cycle, so it's really nice to see people who've been stuck in the application process for over a year finally get the good news they deserve.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
for those accepted off the WL, did you get your financial aid package yet and if so, how long did it take?

for those accepted, congratulations! I am a current M1 at Carver, and I am looking for a roommate to share a 3 bedroom 2 bath apartment with me and another medical school student. The apartment is very nice, free parking, laundry in the unit, walking distance to University hospital and medical school . On bus route.

Does anyone know when financial aid will be disbursed after signing/completing everything in the package?

Does anyone have an idea what the year schedule is like besides the fact that orientation starts August 6th? Wondering when the White Coat ceremony, Winter break, etc is for the family. If not, I can call and ask and let you all know too! Thank you :)

Does anyone have an idea what the year schedule is like besides the fact that orientation starts August 6th? Wondering when the White Coat ceremony, Winter break, etc is for the family. If not, I can call and ask and let you all know too! Thank you :)

The white coat ceremony is on August 10th at 3 pm (central time). There is a schedule for this academic year on the Pre-M1 communications portal on ICON. :)

The white coat ceremony is on August 10th at 3 pm (central time). There is a schedule for this academic year on the Pre-M1 communications portal on ICON. :)
Thank you so much!! Took me a bit to navigate, but for new admits or anyone else, it'll be under "Modules" when you log on!

I am so unbelievably happy, I got accepted off the OS waitlist at Iowa today, and I love this school and will be attending here! : ) Started at 33, got to about 10 just after Traffic Day, fyi for other SDNers.

Reactions: 8 users
Can we expect any more movement on the waitlist (specifically the IS waitlist) at this point?

Can we expect any more movement on the waitlist (specifically the IS waitlist) at this point?

Not much. I’m in the top 10 and was told by someone in admissions that I’m likely not getting in.

Not much. I’m in the top 10 and was told by someone in admissions that I’m likely not getting in.
That's unfortunate. Hopefully the odds will be in your favor. Did the person you spoke with say when any movement is likely to happen (end of May/mid-June/etc), and how many more In-State students are likely to get accepted?

That's unfortunate. Hopefully the odds will be in your favor. Did the person you spoke with say when any movement is likely to happen (end of May/mid-June/etc), and how many more In-State students are likely to get accepted?

No, used words like “some” and “a little.” I don’t think anyone, including them, truly knows how many more IS acceptances there will be. Would expect to see mostly OOS offers from here on out.

Idly thinking about the future and one thing Im really looking forward to is new friends and connections and getting settled into Iowa life, especially coming from far out-of-state. To current students, how did you end up making most of your friends? I know each person has their own social preferences, but would you say the student body groups up or do people just hang around with whoever they want to? Thanks for any input! :)

Idly thinking about the future and one thing Im really looking forward to is new friends and connections and getting settled into Iowa life, especially coming from far out-of-state. To current students, how did you end up making most of your friends? I know each person has their own social preferences, but would you say the student body groups up or do people just hang around with whoever they want to? Thanks for any input! :)
Me too! Ahhh cant wait to meet everyone! Im also coming from oos and dont know anyone in Iowa

Me too! Ahhh cant wait to meet everyone! Im also coming from oos and dont know anyone in Iowa

If it makes you both feel any better, I'm IS and I don't know anyone either... :laugh:

Gap years and the nature of med school admissions have a way of spreading out friend groups!

Naturally, friend groups tend to form within your learning community. You do orientation activities with them and people tend to eat lunch there, etc. However, small groups are mixed and there are lots of events where you get to know others in different learning communities (community BBQ, tailgates, and so on). Going to lecture also helps when it comes to meeting people. Most importantly, just don't be afraid to introduce yourself when there are new people around and try to attend at least a few events, even if they might be out of your comfort zone. I am an out-of-stater as well and happy to report I have made many wonderful friends!

Hi (future) waitlistees, I have moved from 90+ on the oos waitlist up 50-55 spots. My guess is there are 40 or so oos students on the waitlist at this point, in case that helps anyone!

Excuse the neuroticism :oops:, but has anyone received any info on orientation/the start of classes/etc?

I was expecting early to mid July but it's making me antsy...

Excuse the neuroticism :oops:, but has anyone received any info on orientation/the start of classes/etc?

When I started there was a class pre-M1 ICON course that had all that information - have you checked there?

Also, I looked in my email and on 7/21 the year I started, the school sent an email that said "Important information regarding Medical School Orientation has been posted in the Pre-M1 Communication Board in ICON." So I am assuming that is when all the orientation stuff was posted.

As an aside to my last post, since I have not been on here in a while, glad to happy any questions about Iowa in the thread or by PM. Hope you all are looking forward to your M1 year.

The academic calendar is posted so i've just been going off that for scheduling! haven't got any emails regarding orientation though

Thanks all! I've been getting info on ICON and the Carver website, but no specific emails on orientation.

I think the main problem is that I'm still not convinced my acceptances were real, and until I get email confirmation of starting this fall I will continue to suspect that it was a glitch. :unsure: :laugh:

Thanks all! I've been getting info on ICON and the Carver website, but no specific emails on orientation.

I think the main problem is that I'm still not convinced my acceptances were real, and until I get email confirmation of starting this fall I will continue to suspect that it was a glitch. :unsure: :laugh:
Carver actually had a glitch last year and the student showed up to orientation without ever officially being accepted..

Kidding of course! Relax and enjoy your freedom while you can.

Carver actually had a glitch last year and the student showed up to orientation without ever officially being accepted..

Kidding of course! Relax and enjoy your freedom while you can.
brb just gonna go resuscitate myself

Do any students use iPads to take notes? I know we need a laptop for exams but was wondering if it was possible to use an iPad in class for notes.

Do any students use iPads to take notes? I know we need a laptop for exams but was wondering if it was possible to use an iPad in class for notes.

That or a surface was the majority of people in my class. No need to print out thousands of pages of pdfs when you can annotate them right on your device with something like Notability.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but are we automatically enrolled in classes?

On MyUI, I see I'm enrolled when I view my schedule but I also get a message in red saying "You may not register for courses for the reasons below: You cannot register or make changes until you have been authorized by your academic advisor."

Sorry if this is a dumb question but are we automatically enrolled in classes?

On MyUI, I see I'm enrolled when I view my schedule but I also get a message in red saying "You may not register for courses for the reasons below: You cannot register or make changes until you have been authorized by your academic advisor."
You’re correct, we’re automatically registered. Nothing to worry about. I know it’s frustrating waiting for all the info to come, I was anxious af last summer. I can assure you all is okay though.

I see on pre M1 on ICON that orientation is from August 6-10th but no time is posted. Does anyone the times? Is orientation really 5 days long?

I see on pre M1 on ICON that orientation is from August 6-10th but no time is posted. Does anyone the times? Is orientation really 5 days long?
Haha yes it’s really 5 days long. And yes, it is as boring as you think it sounds.

Hey y'all, I have a quick question. The laptop requirements say we need an ethernet adapter if our computer doesn't one and that "students must bring their own network cable to exams." Is this necessary? I assumed the classrooms all have wi-fi...

I'll get an adapter if needed but just wanted to ask ahead. Thank you! =)

All of the orientation information is posted as pdfs under "modules." The days are broken down by hour!

Hey y'all, I have a quick question. The laptop requirements say we need an ethernet adapter if our computer doesn't one and that "students must bring their own network cable to exams." Is this necessary? I assumed the classrooms all have wi-fi...

I'll get an adapter if needed but just wanted to ask ahead. Thank you! =)
Unfortunately yes. All exams are taken using an Ethernet cord to avoid the WiFi dropping.