2017-2018 University of Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was rooting for you my friend...you'll make a great doctor elsewhere =)
Thanks fam. Did you hear good news from them today?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That’s got to be good news then? It sounds like a lot of rejections today. I’ve never seen them break it up to two days. That’s weird.

yeah I haven't seen them do it this way either but I think they got a new dean this past year? maybe he wants to run things differently

accepted, IS, around 5pm central :)

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted! OOS

Reactions: 2 users
It still says decisions are being loaded for me and I have yet to receive an email. For those accepted, first of all, congratulations! Second of all, did you have a rural tab?

It still says decisions are being loaded for me and I have yet to receive an email. For those accepted, first of all, congratulations! Second of all, did you have a rural tab?
Thank you! I didn't get the rural tab until my admission decision was loaded.

Reactions: 1 users
Also rejected OOS. Congrats to those that have been accepted!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are we assuming if we haven’t gotten an acceptance or rejection yet that it likely means waitlist? Seems to make sense that acceptances and rejections went out yesterday and waitlist today. Mine says decisions are being uploaded

Are we assuming if we haven’t gotten an acceptance or rejection yet that it likely means waitlist? Seems to make sense that acceptances and rejections went out yesterday and waitlist today. Mine says decisions are being uploaded
Mine says the same. That’s what I’m also assuming

Mine says the same. That’s what I’m also assuming
The final pool email says no decisions will be posted until the review is complete. So our fates have already been decided...

Alternate list. OOS.

Hi all! Been creeping for awhile. I have a question about the waitlist position. Is it a lower number is better, so as people withdraw, you get closer to 1? Also, how large are CCOM's waitlists for IS and OOS (my MSAR subscription expired so I can't access this info anymore :()

Thank you very much for the help, and good luck to everyone! It's a rough cycle for a lot of us, so please don't give up!

Alternate list #37. IS. I think the most it has moved is 31, so I highly doubt I will be able to take a spot. :( Last year was a flat reject so I guess that's something.

Hi all! Been creeping for awhile. I have a question about the waitlist position. Is it a lower number is better, so as people withdraw, you get closer to 1? Also, how large are CCOM's waitlists for IS and OOS (my MSAR subscription expired so I can't access this info anymore :()

Thank you very much for the help, and good luck to everyone! It's a rough cycle for a lot of us, so please don't give up!

Yes, that's correct. As people withdraw, you get closer to 1.

IS is 50 spots and OOS is 100.

Does anyone know when we can expect to see movement?

You can see movement pretty much anytime starting today as people withdraw but most of it is gradually after April 30

Placed on alternate list, IS. I'm in position #15. No idea what that means for me, but I guess I'll have to wait another two months to find out, sigh.

Moved 4 spots on the OOS alternate list. Im expecting movement to definitely slow down for now and then pick up after traffic day, but I was happy to see a reasonable amount of movement today!

Won’t do me any good as I’m in the high 20’s but IS moved 1

I was in the mid 20s for OOS, am I in a good position?

Moved 4 spots on the OOS alternate list. Im expecting movement to definitely slow down for now and then pick up after traffic day, but I was happy to see a reasonable amount of movement today!

Approximately what number are you on the waitlist?

Do you have to accept your waitlist position to be able to see your movement?
Also, how many people typically get off the oos list?

Congrats to all of the new admits. If you have any questions for a current student feel free to post here or PM me.

Congrats to all of the new admits. If you have any questions for a current student feel free to post here or PM me.
Idk how to phrase this but I really liked the school but didn't like Iowa City at all. Do you know any current students who feel that way? Is it even a big deal if you don't like the city because you'll be studying too much to care a lot?

Idk how to phrase this but I really liked the school but didn't like Iowa City at all. Do you know any current students who feel that way? Is it even a big deal if you don't like the city because you'll be studying too much to care a lot?

Not specifically, but what didn't you like? People come to Iowa City from a variety of different locations, and there are definitely plusses and minuses to living in a college town this size. I have not heard that said specifically, but I wouldn't be surprised if people feel that way at any school, in any city. I do think it is a big deal, because you will be there for four years and life isn't all about school.

Anyone planning on going to the "Get Acquainted" day? Is it worth attending/if I can't make it am I missing out on anything?

I’m in the 15-20 range on the OOS waitlist, if I relocated there now would I be making a mistake?

I’m in the 15-20 range on the OOS waitlist, if I relocated there now would I be making a mistake?
Same boat as you Brainotron. Would like to move their mid-June for a couple reasons, hopefully Traffic Day treats us well

Yes, that would be a mistake unless you wanted to move here regardless of the decision. Unfortunately that rank is not a guaranteed spot, but I do wish you the best of luck!

How do you students view the current grading scheme? Is it okay or would you much rather have P/F? What is the cutoff for honors?

Not a current student, but have recently spoken to two current MS3's who I am close with. Neither one liked the grading system fwiw.

How do you students view the current grading scheme? Is it okay or would you much rather have P/F? What is the cutoff for honors?
I personally, and many of my peers, have no issues with it. Some treat it like P/F and just go for passing, and some push to make honors. The nice thing is that with no curved grading as honors is a posted flat cutoff, there is not competition like you would expect with curved grades. The cutoff is generally 90% for honors and 70% for passing. Near honors is given to the top 30% or so of the course. I chose this school over a P/F school, it was not a deal-breaker for me.

Not a current student, but have recently spoken to two current MS3's who I am close with. Neither one liked the grading system fwiw.
To each their own, but there isn't really anything "not to like" about it. Sure it isn't P/F, but it really is neutral at worst. I have yet to hear a classmate complain about the grading schema.

I personally, and many of my peers, have no issues with it. Some treat it like P/F and just go for passing, and some push to make honors. The nice thing is that with no curved grading as honors is a posted flat cutoff, there is not competition like you would expect with curved grades. The cutoff is generally 90% for honors and 70% for passing. Near honors is given to the top 30% or so of the course. I chose this school over a P/F school, it was not a deal-breaker for me.

To each their own, but there isn't really anything "not to like" about it. Sure it isn't P/F, but it really is neutral at worst. I have yet to hear a classmate complain about the grading schema.
I've heard that regardless of the school's grading system, residency programs are able to see your class rank, so doesn't really matter in the long run.

Maybe it is a grass is greener scenario or something just blown out of proportion. They seem to think their experience would have improved with a true P/F

I don't know if it's just a misperception, but a lot of the students I've talked with at Iowa seem a bit more....fried compared to students at other schools. I get that med school is hard. But at other schools, students mention being able to go to the gym, fit in hobbies, travel home, etc. At Iowa I've talked with 3-4 students who all say they basically do nothing but study 24/7. Did I just end up with a biased sample, or did Iowa overcram the 1.5 pre-clinical years?

I don't know if it's just a misperception, but a lot of the students I've talked with at Iowa seem a bit more....fried compared to students at other schools. I get that med school is hard. But at other schools, students mention being able to go to the gym, fit in hobbies, travel home, etc. At Iowa I've talked with 3-4 students who all say they basically do nothing but study 24/7. Did I just end up with a biased sample, or did Iowa overcram the 1.5 pre-clinical years?

I agree with this. I'm currently deciding between here and my state school. Carver would be cheaper but the grading system and the vibes I got from the students is holding me back. Of all my interviews, students here were the most stressed. I felt like the school itself provides adequate support but they seemed overwhelmed

I agree with this. I'm currently deciding between here and my state school. Carver would be cheaper but the grading system and the vibes I got from the students is holding me back. Of all my interviews, students here were the most stressed. I felt like the school itself provides adequate support but they seemed overwhelmed

Weird, not the way my class seems to me, or the impression I got from the class above me at interviews. I am sorry you got that impression though! I had plenty of time to be social and pursue hobbies, while doing reasonably well in school. I wouldn't let that encounter make your decision, as I do think it was a biased sample.

Weird, not the way my class seems to me, or the impression I got from the class above me at interviews. I am sorry you got that impression though! I had plenty of time to be social and pursue hobbies, while doing reasonably well in school. I wouldn't let that encounter make your decision, as I do think it was a biased sample.
That's useful to know, thanks!!

Any input on Step 1 being after clinical rotations? That was my other concern about Iowa is that there doesn't seem to be much structured Step 1 support.