2017-2018 University of Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II just now. OOS LM:73. Complete 7/26

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
II yesterday afternoon! IS, complete 8/8

Reactions: 2 users
Got an interview invite today! Secondary completed 8/8. IS, URM

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II friday afternoon! LizzyM 63-64, URM, OOS with no ties to Iowa. Completed secondary 8/6 but file not complete until 8/15.

Is it difficult to get to the campus from Des Moines airport? It's significantly cheaper for me to fly into that airport than to Cedar Rapids, but definitely not worth the extra savings if it's too far/difficult journey

Is it difficult to get to the campus from Des Moines airport? It's significantly cheaper for me to fly into that airport than to Cedar Rapids, but definitely not worth the extra savings if it's too far/difficult journey
It is about a 2-2.5 hour, straight drive on I-80. How much more is it to fly into Cedar Rapids?

I made the drive this weekend, about 1.75 hours. Not a bad drive at all.

It is about a 2-2.5 hour, straight drive on I-80. How much more is it to fly into Cedar Rapids?

About $200 cheaper. I'm also under 25 so the whole car rental thing might be a little more expensive.

I made the drive this weekend, about 1.75 hours. Not a bad drive at all.

Yay good to hear! Did you just rent a car from the airport?

I just submitted my primary here Friday. How long does it take to get the secondary typically?

I just submitted my primary here Friday. How long does it take to get the secondary typically?
I would say you will hear from them this week. I feel that Carver moves fast.

Well, your primary needs to get verified first. Once that happens, I'd guess you'll get a secondary almost within a day of that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, your primary needs to get verified first. Once that happens, I'd guess you'll get a secondary almost within a day of that.

Primary has been verified from the start. I just retroactively added this school after researching it for a while.

Reactions: 1 user
About $200 cheaper. I'm also under 25 so the whole car rental thing might be a little more expensive.

Yay good to hear! Did you just rent a car from the airport?
I'm actually an M1, but I'm sure renting isnt too bad.

Any advice out there. I've been complete at all the schools I applied to since the middle part of July and haven't heard a thing from anywhere. I got a 509 MCAT score. 3.8 undergrad GPA and 4.0 graduate GPA in a thesis program. I cant help but think that there are two possibilities. One- I put something toxic in my AMCAS application and no one will touch me. Or two (which is less likely, but still plausible) gnomes log on to my account and delete anything from any medical schools.

Any advice out there. I've been complete at all the schools I applied to since the middle part of July and haven't heard a thing from anywhere. I got a 509 MCAT score. 3.8 undergrad GPA and 4.0 graduate GPA in a thesis program. I cant help but think that there are two possibilities. One- I put something toxic in my AMCAS application and no one will touch me. Or two (which is less likely, but still plausible) gnomes log on to my account and delete anything from any medical schools.

Did you apply broadly?

More than a handful, not 40 though haha. I didn't set up an DO application and now I'm kinda kicking myself for it
It's not too late if you think you need to apply to some DO programs

Reactions: 1 users

Keep waiting. My stats are a bit higher and I just got my first II. It'll come. Still early.

Any current students at this school who could discribe their first year experience?

Any current students at this school who could discribe their first year experience?
Awesome. So far it's been amazing. The faculty genuinely care about us and the overall attitude of the students is one of collaboration, not competition. DM for specific questions.

M2 here and never regretted my decision to come here. I was accepted to a couple well-known schools in my home state but I knew this is where I wanted to be since the day I interviewed. The faculty, staff and students are literally wonderful. Opportunities abound for research, community outreach, and travel.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

hey there! Megabus takes you from des moines to iowa city for ~20 bucks. You can fly to chicago for really cheap this time of year. I'm flying from LA to Chicago for 100 dollars round trip. From there, I take megabus to iowa city for 20 bucks as well. just an idea :)

Would it be worth telling them I'll be in the area (DMU) on a certain date, since Im from the NE? Would it negatively impact my app or not have an effect?

hey there! Megabus takes you from des moines to iowa city for ~20 bucks. You can fly to chicago for really cheap this time of year. I'm flying from LA to Chicago for 100 dollars round trip. From there, I take megabus to iowa city for 20 bucks as well. just an idea :)

I'm flying from LA too! Which Chicago airport?

Would it be worth telling them I'll be in the area (DMU) on a certain date, since Im from the NE? Would it negatively impact my app or not have an effect?

don't think it would it negatively affect your app, but what is the purpose of the visit?

If you do e-mail about an in the area, should you include why you're there in state? My sister who lives there just had a baby so I'll be a town over early October, didn't get my application complete until Monday and not sure how long review takes. I'm coming from the West Coast so would like to knock it all out together.

First II earlier this afternoon! OOS, URM, LizzyM: 63. Very excited!

Reactions: 3 users
If you do e-mail about an in the area, should you include why you're there in state? My sister who lives there just had a baby so I'll be a town over early October, didn't get my application complete until Monday and not sure how long review takes. I'm coming from the West Coast so would like to knock it all out together.

I was wondering the same thing. Would it be foolish to say im interviewing at another school?

I was wondering the same thing. Would it be foolish to say im interviewing at another school?

I wouldn't expect much, but I would just be cautious. There's probably some threads of in-area requests though. If they cannot meet your accommodations I would at least try to visit Carver for a campus tour or something like that

Added this school rather late, but we'll see what happens!

I can empathize...
OOS with no connections but received secondary. Had it in 20 July. Nothing else since. Good Luck!