2017-2018 University of Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just finished my interview yesterday. It was an awesome experience, much better than I could have imagined. Checked in at 8:30am, then there were a few presentations i.e. financial aid, offered programs, etc, the regular spiel. Then I had my interview at 10:15am with two faculty members. It consisted of a structured portion with the routine medschool questions and then an unstructured portion where we discussed some of my previous answers and things I had talked about.

After the interview we did a Case Based Learning session (CBL), which is meant to be representative of the group sessions that are integrated into the curriculum. From what I was told from some medstudents, it's not graded and only meant to weed out the people that are incapable of working in groups. So long as you don't do anything egregious (Dominating the discussion, not letting others speak, etc) then you should be fine. After the CBL, the day ended with lunch with some students that then took us on a short tour, ending around 1:00pm. That was the end of the official interview day, but one of the medstudents we met there invited another applicant and I to go get dinner and hang out with some other students. During dinner, the other medstudents invited us out to a kickback party that the first year students were having. That's where we got to hear about how awesome Carver COM really is.

During the party we got to hear some rather candid answers to the questions we had asked during the official interview. And to my relief, the reviews were even more glowing than the ones we had heard during the official day. I got the impression during the interview that the administration truly cares about the success of their students. At other schools I've interviewed at, I felt like a number rather than a potential member of their community, I felt the complete opposite during my Carver interview. And during the M1 party, students reaffirmed this observation by regaling us with stories of how receptive the administration has been to student input. Additionally, when I first read that they take their step 1 exam halfway into third year, I was somewhat worried about being away from the didactic portion of medschool for so long before taking the exam. To the contrary, many students felt that it only helped them. It was easier for them to learn the various topics when they were able to associate the concepts with actual clinical experiences. In fact, the M4 class had a 100% pass rate. Furthermore, the additional semester in clinical rotations helped them be more confidant in deciding which specialities to pursue.

Overall it was an amazing experience. The curriculum is cutting edge, the administration is super invested in your future, but my absolute favorite part was the students. This is my fourth interview, but it was absolutely my best experience so far! To be honest, Carver wasn't my top choice when I arrived in Iowa, but after that experience, it is now. It would be an absolute honor and privilege to come back in the fall.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As I recall from last year, acceptances are released on Tuesday - later in the day.

Let's hope they get sent out tomorrow, I'm on pins and needles over here!

Reactions: 2 users
Just got my decision but I’m too afraid to open it. Gonna wait till I get off this shuttle

Reactions: 1 user
Just got my decision but I’m too afraid to open it. Gonna wait till I get off this shuttle
That should be good news! They only notify those who have been accepted! Those who are waitlisted or rejected don't get notified until like march.

Accepted yay:) Mcat 520 gpa 3.9+. Also have Relative at school and in state so had that extra stuff helping me out but I’ll take it haha

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted yay:) Mcat 520 gpa 3.9+. Also have Relative at school and in state so had that extra stuff helping me out but I’ll take it haha

congrats! when did u interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. Acceptances have historically come on Tuesday afternoon's. No guarantee on which Tuesday.
I should clarify - the REGULAR release day is Tuesday. Of course, today is special since it is the first allowable day for notifications.

Accepted!!! I was screaming!!!
Good luck to everyone else waiting for a decision.

Reactions: 4 users
To those who got accepted, did it say so in the email or did you have to log into the portal to see?

Congratulations everyone! How exciting!!
Any advice for those of us who have yet to interview?

Congratulations everyone! How exciting!!
Any advice for those of us who have yet to interview?
For CBL, be a team player and a good listener. For interview, know your application and be ready to talk about your experiences. The interviewers don't have your file, so it is down to you to sell your strongest suit.
Good luck and enjoy your interview day! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted!!!!!!!! So excited!!!!!!!!!
Blissey.gif

I am now a blissey <3

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted!!! Instate, interviewed mid-september

Reactions: 3 users
Just noticed I got an II by checking portal..no email though.

Complete 10/11 OOS

Congrats! Where did you notice the II?

A few mins before posting, I’m not sure if that interview tab was always on the far right, but clicked it and it lets you schedule date.

Anyone who's interviewed care to give information on what questions/kinds of questions were asked?

Anyone who's interviewed care to give information on what questions/kinds of questions were asked?
Check out the interview feedback page on this website. It lists literally all questions.

Accepted as OOS... Interviewed first day. Wow.
What date did you interview? I can't remember what the options were when I signed up a couple months ago - just trying to get an idea of how long to expect to hear from them if I'm accepted.

What date did you interview? I can't remember what the options were when I signed up a couple months ago - just trying to get an idea of how long to expect to hear from them if I'm accepted.
The first interview was on 9/11. Has anyone heard anything today? I believe they typically release their acceptances on Tuesdays.

Anyone know if they sent out any acceptances today?

II OOS. Complete mid-September.

Last edited:
For those who have already interviewed, would you recommend sending a thank you email following the interview, or is that something that Iowa doesn't seem to care about?

For those who have already interviewed, would you recommend sending a thank you email following the interview, or is that something that Iowa doesn't seem to care about?
Does it matter if Iowa cares about it?