2017-2018 University of Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Also just got accepted to UMN TC!! In-state, interviewed on 11/17! Woo!

Reactions: 1 user
I want to send a letter of intent (LOI) to the UMN-TC and Duluth as I was WL at both. Do ya'll think it's a good idea?

Heard this school was transitioning from honors-pass-fail to regular pass-fail. Is that true, and which campus is this for? Anyone chime in with what they heard on interview day?

Heard this school was transitioning from honors-pass-fail to regular pass-fail. Is that true, and which campus is this for? Anyone chime in with what they heard on interview day?

At my UMN-TC interview they said the new class is pass/fail for year 1 and 2 for sure. Idk about duluth.

What are you guys going to wear or what did you wear if you interviewed in December/January? Did most people wear traditional suit/wool coat for outwear? It's way too cold these days for that... I also only have skirt suit... At your interview, did girls with skirt suit wear sheer nude/skin color pantyhose? Or black/opaque ones? Anyone bringing boots for the tour and changing shoes...?

What are you guys going to wear or what did you wear if you interviewed in December/January? Did most people wear traditional suit/wool coat for outwear? It's way too cold these days for that... I also only have skirt suit... At your interview, did girls with skirt suit wear sheer nude/skin color pantyhose? Or black/opaque ones? Anyone bringing boots for the tour and changing shoes...?

I will be wearing a pantsuit for my January interview. I have a long wool dress coat, scarf, and fleece lined hat and mittens for outerwear. I am considering wearing my boots to the interview and then changing into my heels, or wearing pantyhose under my pants to keep my feet when I'm outside. I have to test whether my pants will fit over my boots.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be wearing a pantsuit for my January interview. I have a long wool dress coat, scarf, and fleece lined hat and mittens for outerwear. I am considering wearing my boots to the interview and then changing into my heels, or wearing pantyhose under my pants to keep my feet when I'm outside. I have to test whether my pants will fit over my boots.

I'm not sure if this is helpful (or if you already know this). But on my interview day, the only time I was outside was when I walked to and from my car. The entirety of the interview day experience was otherwise all inside.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not sure if this is helpful (or if you already know this). But on my interview day, the only time I was outside was when I walked to and from my car. The entirety of the interview day experience was otherwise all inside.

Yeah, I figured that would be the case, but I interviewed here for grad school a few years back during a polar vortex and found even walking to the car to be very unpleasant in a skirt suit. I live in an equally cold area, and when it's below zero I bundle up even for short periods of time outside.

Just landed in Minnesota for the interview! Where’s the snow? Headed to Gull Lake to surprise relatives, hopefully see some up there!

Just landed in Minnesota for the interview! Where’s the snow? Headed to Gull Lake to surprise relatives, hopefully see some up there!
It didn't snow much this winter but it's very cold. Stay warm and good luck!

Was just placed in Duluth's highest priority pool as they have 20 spots left in the class. Interviewed 12/7/17. Not surprised as one of my interviewers mentioned he thought they were already at this point.

Was just placed in Duluth's highest priority pool as they have 20 spots left in the class. Interviewed 12/7/17. Not surprised as one of my interviewers mentioned he thought they were already at this point.
Congrats!!! Were you placed on the alternate list before they told you about the priority list?

Any 12/14 interviewees hear any news yet? I know they said 5 weeks, but I'm dying over here!

I interviewed at TC on 11/30 and was waitlisted a few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, what have others heard about being waitlisted? I hadn’t heard of being waitlisted post interview before, at any school. I’m ORM, OOS (sort of), and assuming that they are wanting to increase the diversity of the class a bit more before filling the class with ORMs. But that’s just a thought with no evidence to support the theory. What do the Trolls of SDN think? What have you heard?

Actually, what have others heard about being waitlisted? I hadn’t heard of being waitlisted post interview before, at any school. I’m ORM, OOS (sort of), and assuming that they are wanting to increase the diversity of the class a bit more before filling the class with ORMs. But that’s just a thought with no evidence to support the theory. What do the Trolls of SDN think? What have you heard?

Waitlisted after an interview is pretty common.. I know people on the twin cities waitlist in the past who were accepted a few weeks later, or were kept on the waitlist even after it was ranked and still knew their waitlist rank in June but knew there was no chance at spot #40 they would move into the class.

Waitlisted after an interview is pretty common.. I know people on the twin cities waitlist in the past who were accepted a few weeks later, or were kept on the waitlist even after it was ranked and still knew their waitlist rank in June but knew there was no chance at spot #40 they would move into the class.

Thank you. That makes sense and is more or less what I was thinking.

I just heard back this afternoon, I was placed on the "highest priority" waitlist pool, but they also had some information that might be helpful to the rest of the people waiting to hear back: They said that there are 20 spots left in their class so they are "temporarily suspending issuing acceptances" to any more people for the cycle. However, they said as people withdraw acceptances they'll start filling spots with people from the high priority acceptance pool and they'll offer the remaining spots at the end of March/early April to the remaining candidates in that pool.

So, I was waitlisted in October at Duluth. The email they sent me said I was placed in the "acceptable (alternate list) category." The email also said there is no way to find out how we are ranked until April, and in April they will tell us where we are on the "acceptable" list, and then once people drop acceptances they will pull from that list. So all this stuff about "high priority waitlist" makes me think whatever waitlist they put me on is just a soft rejection. Anyone else having similar experience?

So, I was waitlisted in October at Duluth. The email they sent me said I was placed in the "acceptable (alternate list) category." The email also said there is no way to find out how we are ranked until April, and in April they will tell us where we are on the "acceptable" list, and then once people drop acceptances they will pull from that list. So all this stuff about "high priority waitlist" makes me think whatever waitlist they put me on is just a soft rejection. Anyone else having similar experience?

Huh, I can’t disagree with your train of thought. However, has anyone been outright rejected post-II yet?

Huh, I can’t disagree with your train of thought. However, has anyone been outright rejected post-II yet?

A friend of mine was rejected from Duluth after her interview this fall.

Interviewed at Duluth early December. During one of the interviews my interviewer told me that I was interviewing at an unfortunate time as acceptances were being halted until all interviews were completed.

Post interview I asked the admissions secretary to explain this acceptance hold. She explained that Duluth has very varied amount of people withdrawing, some years its huge movement and others it's very limited. Thus to ensure no one interviews for the waitlist they hold the last 20 acceptances till interviews are completed (March/April). So individuals who interview at this time are place into one of three categories based on their numerical app score; the highest priority acceptances pool, the waitlist and rejections. Individuals can be granted acceptance prior to the completion of interviews if someone withdraws an acceptance.

So all in all anything besides a rejection is a great accomplishment and gives you a chance to maltriculate.

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed at Duluth early December. During one of the interviews my interviewer told me that I was interviewing at an unfortunate time as acceptances were being halted until all interviews were completed.

Post interview I asked the admissions secretary to explain this acceptance hold. She explained that Duluth has very varied amount of people withdrawing, some years its huge movement and others it's very limited. Thus to ensure no one interviews for the waitlist they hold the last 20 acceptances till interviews are completed (March/April). So individuals who interview at this time are place into one of three categories based on their numerical app score; the highest priority acceptances pool, the waitlist and rejections. Individuals can be granted acceptance prior to the completion of interviews if someone withdraws an acceptance.

So all in all anything besides a rejection is a great accomplishment and gives you a chance to maltriculate.

As a side note, the Mayo Clinic SOM doesn’t utilize rolling admissions at all. They completed interviews in mid-December, and the admissions committee will meet over the next few weeks to compare all candidates who interviewed this cycle for the 46 available slots. This means that they won’t be sending out any acceptances or rejections until early/mid-February. It seems to be a far more fair system favoring the best candidates, and not just the earliest qualified candidates who applied.

As a side note, the Mayo Clinic SOM doesn’t utilize rolling admissions at all. They completed interviews in mid-December, and the admissions committee will meet over the next few weeks to compare all candidates who interviewed this cycle for the 46 available slots. This means that they won’t be sending out any acceptances or rejections until early/mid-February. It seems to be a far more fair system favoring the best candidates, and not just the earliest qualified candidates who applied.

Wrong thread.

Reactions: 2 users
Go find find someone else to troll. I have neither the time or patience for it.

Lol, I'm not trolling. I just said ur in the wrong thread. You're posting about Mayo in the UMN thread. Sorry if that offends you.

Just got the R post-II. This one really hurt. It was my first MMI and I thought it went really well! Time to review and change my game plan for other upcoming MMI's. Congrats to everyone on my interview date (12/14) who got accepted, I can't even imagine what that phone call must have felt like!

Just got the R post-II. This one really hurt. It was my first MMI and I thought it went really well! Time to review and change my game plan for other upcoming MMI's. Congrats to everyone on my interview date (12/14) who got accepted, I can't even imagine what that phone call must have felt like!
I'm sorry to hear that. Assuming this is Twin Cities, why would the 12/14 folks have heard back but I haven't (12/7 interview)? Anyone else in my boat?

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that. Assuming this is Twin Cities, why would the 12/14 folks have heard back but I haven't (12/7 interview)? Anyone else in my boat?

Also interviewed 12/7. Have not heard back.

Also interviewed 12/7. Have not heard back.

Seeing how I have not heard of any acceptances coming through from my interview date (12/14), no news may be good news. You may have lived through the rejections, congrats!

I interviewed here on 11/30 and was waitlisted as well! Its a huge bummer but I'm URM so I think more than just diversity.

I interviewed here on 11/30 and was waitlisted as well! Its a huge bummer but I'm URM so I think more than just diversity.

Oh yeah, I agree completely. I wasn’t intending to say it was the only reason someone like myself, or others, would be waitlisted. Just that I could see it as a logical rationale.

Are they still having ongoing interviews or has the interview season ended?

II this morning around 11:30. OOS with really strong ties to the state.

Reactions: 3 users