2017-2018 University of Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm very sorry to hear that. Were you rejected pre- or post-interview?
Thanks. Pre-II. Selected school on my primary beginning of July but didn't receive a secondary until early August. Submitted the day I received it. OOS

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know what information interviewers have about applicants? I know they are GPA, MCAT, and transcript blind but do they have access to personal statements or secondaries?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what information interviewers have about applicants? I know they are GPA, MCAT, and transcript blind but do they have access to personal statements or secondaries?

How do you know they're GPA/MCAT/transcript blind?

I'll check my notes when I get home and let you know.

Does attending the Duluth campus limit you to working in only primary care/rural settings in the future? I understand that both campuses receive the same degree, but I was wondering how it looks when going to apply for residency and jobs in the future. I have been accepted to the Duluth campus, in addition to a couple of out-of-state medical schools that do not focus on rural medicine, and I am weighing the higher cost of the out-of-state schools vs. the limited focus of the Duluth campus.

You are in no way limited. About half of the class each year chooses primary care. The rest of us are pretty open about not doing it.

Reactions: 1 users
Nah, they don't force you to do anything and you're not really limited in terms of residency potential. The current Duluth class is going for all kinds of things, including competitive specialties.

The only issue is your conscience. You were admitted to Duluth because you said you have a passion for helping rural communities, and people in rural communities are literally dying due to lack of access to care. There are plenty of others who'd love to take your place. If denying them of a would-be doctor so that you can save a few thousand does not bother you, you likely won't face any repercussions.

It is not that I do not want to pursue rural/family medicine, as I am definitely interested in following that career path. Instead, I acknowledge that four years is a long time, and my interests could change while in medical school. When I get to the point where I began to apply for residency, I want to know that I have options if this were to happen. I actually discussed this with my interviewer, and she indicated that UMD students often pursue many career paths both within rural/family medicine and outside of it. I asked this question on the forum, so I could receive an answer from someone outside of the school, who may be less biased.

It is not that I do not want to pursue rural/family medicine, as I am definitely interested in following that career path. Instead, I acknowledge that four years is a long time, and my interests could change while in medical school. When I get to the point where I began to apply for residency, I want to know that I have options if this were to happen. I actually discussed this with my interviewer, and she indicated that UMD students often pursue many career paths both within rural/family medicine and outside of it. I asked this question on the forum, so I could receive an answer from someone outside of the school, who may be less biased.
I can tell you that there are definitely people in my class who want to go rural Family med, and I can tell you there are a lot who don’t. The school does expose you to that, but it is in no way required that you choose that path.

I think the school itself is a great environment. That depends on the person though. Like it has been said, there are less research opportunities, but you can also make some good connections. The school really will support you with whatever career you choose.

How do you know they're GPA/MCAT/transcript blind?
Sorry, I thought I had notes on this from my interview. But I guess I forgot to write it down. Anyways, they tell you ahead of time, so you won't be walking in totally blind.

So I interviewed in Duluth the first week of September and have yet to hear any post interview decision. It has now been 13 weeks. It looks like people have heard back from Duluth much sooner than this, both acceptances and waitlists. I did follow up with them and they said they are moving slow this year and that I haven't missed anything. Just curious if anyone is in a similar boat/has heard about other people in similar situations? This is driving me crazy.

So I interviewed in Duluth the first week of September and have yet to hear any post interview decision. It has now been 13 weeks. It looks like people have heard back from Duluth much sooner than this, both acceptances and waitlists. I did follow up with them and they said they are moving slow this year and that I haven't missed anything. Just curious if anyone is in a similar boat/has heard about other people in similar situations? This is driving me crazy.
Same boat, just not quite as long. I interviewed the first day of October and its been 10 weeks since then... My friend who got waitlisted from them heard back in 4 weeks... so it's potentially good news for us (or really bad)... I called last week and they told me the same thing and that we might not hear back till the end of January even. This waiting game really sucks though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if there is some sort of student hosting option. Flights are so expensive

That really bothers me. These days most schools offer boarding with a student. I haven’t interviewed at a school which didn’t. UM is too big a school to lack in such programs. Current M1s-M3s, please suggest that UM start a student boarding program. They won’t do it if you guys aren’t willing... money is tight.

Anyone know if there is some sort of student hosting option. Flights are so expensive

Have you booked your flights yet? If not, PM me and I can probably get you hooked up. I live on the east coast and got my plane tickets for $80/each way for travel in January. Also, got a place at Aloft near campus for $60/night. Additionally, there are some airbnb's in dinkytown which is walking distance to the medical school.

Just got the call that I was accepted to the Twin Cities Campus. Interviewed November 14th.

Reactions: 3 users
Just got the call that I was accepted to the Twin Cities Campus. Interviewed November 14th.
Same here! Interviewed 11/14 as well and got the acceptance call today!

Does anyone know if they are receptive to updates? I'm interviewing in January and have some significant updates that I'd like to share in writing (so that they can be added to my file). :)

Acceptance phone call and email from Duluth this afternoon!

Reactions: 3 users
Same boat, just not quite as long. I interviewed the first day of October and its been 10 weeks since then... My friend who got waitlisted from them heard back in 4 weeks... so it's potentially good news for us (or really bad)... I called last week and they told me the same thing and that we might not hear back till the end of January even. This waiting game really sucks though.
Holy crap, that is crazy, sorry you both are going through that! I’d say you’re either waitlist or accept then, it isn’t bad!.. rejections don’t take that long, and if you were going to be really low on the waitlist they would’ve just thrown you on there in the first place. Duluth consistently takes 6 weeks but I’ve never heard of more than that.

I was told by admission folks that they are averaging about 4 - 5 weeks for decision turnaround after your interview. I think if it has been much longer than that it is ok to followup and make sure nothing was lost along the way. It isn't being needy, just being responsible for yourself.

Finally heard back with an acceptance! Hopefully it isn't too much longer for you

Reactions: 2 users
I just heard back this afternoon, I was placed on the "highest priority" waitlist pool, but they also had some information that might be helpful to the rest of the people waiting to hear back: They said that there are 20 spots left in their class so they are "temporarily suspending issuing acceptances" to any more people for the cycle. However, they said as people withdraw acceptances they'll start filling spots with people from the high priority acceptance pool and they'll offer the remaining spots at the end of March/early April to the remaining candidates in that pool.

I just heard back this afternoon, I was placed on the "highest priority" waitlist pool, but they also had some information that might be helpful to the rest of the people waiting to hear back: They said that there are 20 spots left in their class so they are "temporarily suspending issuing acceptances" to any more people for the cycle. However, they said as people withdraw acceptances they'll start filling spots with people from the high priority acceptance pool and they'll offer the remaining spots at the end of March/early April to the remaining candidates in that pool.

Is this for the Duluth or Twin Cities campus?

Does attending the Duluth campus limit you to working in only primary care/rural settings in the future? I understand that both campuses receive the same degree, but I was wondering how it looks when going to apply for residency and jobs in the future. I have been accepted to the Duluth campus, in addition to a couple of out-of-state medical schools that do not focus on rural medicine, and I am weighing the higher cost of the out-of-state schools vs. the limited focus of the Duluth campus.

I'm interviewing at Duluth Wednesday. Would you mind PMing me to share your interview day experience?

Is this for the Duluth or Twin Cities campus?

+1

As someone interviewing Wednesday, this makes me nervous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any good hotel recommendations? I have zero familiarity with the area, other than having gone through on some cross country trips. I’d rather stay near the school than the airport.

Also how is transit to/from airport?

My interview is still over a month away I’m just wanting to plan ahead.

Anyone else going to sightsee? What kind of fun things is there to do there?

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

Any good hotel recommendations? I have zero familiarity with the area, other than having gone through on some cross country trips. I’d rather stay near the school than the airport.

Public transit (the Light Rail) is very easy to use and you can take it from the airport to the University of MN for ~$2. Plan on it taking ~40-60min though. Don't have any recommendations on hotels tho :(

Public transit (the Light Rail) is very easy to use and you can take it from the airport to the University of MN for ~$2. Plan on it taking ~40-60min though. Don't have any recommendations on hotels tho :(

Thank you, that helps a lot! I don’t mind the time it takes tbh, just trying to cut expenses where possible. Do you know if it’s a straight shot or if it involves transfers?

The Commons Hotel is located very near the school (the parking garage UMN recommends for interview day is directly connected to the hotel), and the light rail has a stop directly in front of hotel. It is more expensive, but very convenient.

Thank you, that helps a lot! I don’t mind the time it takes tbh, just trying to cut expenses where possible. Do you know if it’s a straight shot or if it involves transfers?

One transfer [you will just need to walk to the other side of the light rail stop]. You will take the west bound Blue Line from the airport to the US Bank Stadium light rail stop. Then take the eastbound Green Line from US Bank Stadium to East Bank (U of MN).

Like Shooters said above, the medical school (and The Commons Hotel) is on the East Bank stop of the Green Line. One stop down (Stadium Village stop) is a Days Hotel (2407 University Ave SE) and one more stop (Prospect Park stop) is a Hampton Inn & Suites (2812 University Ave SE). Just throwing more options out there for everyone still looking for a hotel!

Like Shooters said above, the medical school (and The Commons Hotel) is on the East Bank stop of the Green Line. One stop down (Stadium Village stop) is a Days Hotel (2407 University Ave SE) and one more stop (Prospect Park stop) is a Hampton Inn & Suites (2812 University Ave SE). Just throwing more options out there for everyone still looking for a hotel!

Thank you, that is so helpful!!

If anyone ever needs any help with anything related to Portland, I'm here for ya!

Has anyone heard back from UMTC lately? I interviewed on 11/14, and was wondering when I might hear back. I did see that a couple applicants who interviewed on that date were accepted last week, so I am unsure if that is a bad sign.

Has anyone heard back from UMTC lately? I interviewed on 11/14, and was wondering when I might hear back. I did see that a couple applicants who interviewed on that date were accepted last week, so I am unsure if that is a bad sign.
I'm also anxiously waiting! Interviewed on 11/30.

Accepted to Duluth this morning! Interviewed late November

Last edited:
Just got waitlisted at UMN-TC today. interviewed 11/30.

Does anyone know when UMN TC starts getting people off the WL?

What is the grading system here? Do they keep an internal rank?