2017-2018 University of Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Me! With 0 ties to MN and yes (before somebody asks) I'm URM
Awesome, congrats! If you don't mind me asking, when did you interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems as if they're WL/R all OOS students. Does anyone know if any OOS students have been accepted this cycle?

I think they've mainly WL OOS people who interviewed Dec and after...
Also seems like that on the Duluth side too.

I don't think anyone who interviewed after Dec has posted about being accepted, IS or OOS. (Correct me if I'm wrong please)
It's possible the people accepted just haven't felt the need to post/aren't on sdn.
Maybe they are just slowing acceptances now overall...? Idk I'm mostly just trying to rationalize my app

Last edited:
I don't think anyone who interviewed after Dec has posted about being accepted, IS or OOS. (Correct me if I'm wrong please)
It's possible the people accepted just haven't felt the need to post/aren't on sdn.
Maybe they are just slowing acceptances now overall...? Idk I'm mostly just trying to rationalize my app
I saw some early Dec. interviewees accepted, but yeah it's kind of all of these.

If you're really curious who's getting in, look at who's in the class facebook group haha - many M1's and M2's though so don't let the numbers scare you! And date of joining the group isn't a great way to guess when people were accepted as some people just don't use facebook often

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed at the very beginning of this month and am "patiently" awaiting a decision... Fingers crossed for a personal phone call from Ms. Patel!

+1 put on the waitlist yesterday. interviewed 1/16.

interviewed 1/17 and still waiting :(

Super confused. I interviewed 1/18/18... does that mean that they interviewed three times in a row in one week??

Super confused. I interviewed 1/18/18... does that mean that they interviewed three times in a row in one week??
From my understanding, they've typically interviewed T/R. It's possible they had 3 interview days that particular week because there was only 1 either the week before or after?

From my understanding, they've typically interviewed T/R. It's possible they had 3 interview days that particular week because there was only 1 either the week before or after?

Idk about other weeks, but they definitely did have interviews 1/16, 1/17, and 1/18. I was given the option of either 1/17 or 1/18. I dropped by the school on 1/16 to make sure I knew how to get to the admissions office and skedaddled pretty quickly when I saw that they were in the middle of an interview day :rofl:. I was not about to inadvertently interrupt!

Members don't see this ad :)
Idk about other weeks, but they definitely did have interviews 1/16, 1/17, and 1/18. I was given the option of either 1/17 or 1/18. I dropped by the school on 1/16 to make sure I knew how to get to the admissions office and skedaddled pretty quickly when I saw that they were in the middle of an interview day :rofl:. I was not about to inadvertently interrupt!

Yeah, they do multiple interview days most weeks.
The interview groups are only 18 people but to compare, UW Madison is 30 interviewees every Friday and it’s a similar size program (probably similar # interviewees) so UMN has to get everyone in somehow.

1/26 interviewee here and was hoping for a Valentine’s Day phone call but it was a long shot.. kinda surprised it looks like nobody got one.

Last edited:
Wait-listed last night. 1/9 interview. Spoke to a couple of other interviewee's from my day, and they were wait-listed as well :(

Does UMN-TC outright reject post-interview, or do they just put everyone on the wait-list and decide later? I don't seem to see any post-II rejections on the forum yet. Additionally, do they pull from the WL prior to the ranked alternate list?

Wait-listed last night. 1/9 interview. Spoke to a couple of other interviewee's from my day, and they were wait-listed as well :(

Does UMN-TC outright reject post-interview, or do they just put everyone on the wait-list and decide later? I don't seem to see any post-II rejections on the forum yet. Additionally, do they pull from the WL prior to the ranked alternate list?

I believe there was a post-II rejection mid-Jan, but mostly WLs

Could a current student comment on summer classes. I was reviewing the cost of attendance and saw that the summer tuition is included in the average tuition. I would expect most school have summer course for M2-M4. Are M1 summer courses required to graduate on time? My understanding was that it is common to do a fellowship or assistantship during the summer between M1 and M2. Does the school expect classes on top of that? Would I expect to pay summer tuition all four years?

So I was put on the waitlist last week. Do I need to do anything? I just got waitlisted at another school and they asked me to accept or decline staying on the waitlist. Do I need to do that here? I don't want to miss any important steps as I definitely want to stay in consideration here.

So I was put on the waitlist last week. Do I need to do anything? I just got waitlisted at another school and they asked me to accept or decline staying on the waitlist. Do I need to do that here? I don't want to miss any important steps as I definitely want to stay in consideration here.
I'm pretty sure you don't have to do anything, but reread the email to double check. I've never heard of any schools asking people to accept or decline staying on the waitlist (or maybe that'll start happening soon as it gets later). On interview day here they said 'if you haven't withdrawn we assume you're still interested' when saying to not send letters of intent, but I'm sure that's their philosophy with everything else too.

Interviewed at TC on 1/26 and anxious to hear back. I looked through the 2016-2017 thread and I think those who interviewed in late January didn't hear back until late March. :(

Interviewed at TC on 1/26 and anxious to hear back. I looked through the 2016-2017 thread and I think those who interviewed in late January didn't hear back until late March. :(

They told us 4 to 6 weeks

Other people on SDN said all decisions were around 8 weeks last year but aren’t that long this year. I think we will hear in the next week or two, which is consistent with everything else this cycle.

Looking at this year compared to others on the forum, this year has been really quick with responses. All of the posts this year had decisions from 3-5 weeks at max (myself included) with the one exception being December (likely due to winter break). I'd be surprised if you didn't hear back this week or next.

Also, every other cycle had people posting acceptances to TC in Jan, Feb, March, but this year only WL have posted which is baffling. n<30

Anyone from early Jan still waiting to hear?
Did you interview first week?

Looking at this year compared to others on the forum, this year has been really quick with responses. All of the posts this year had decisions from 3-5 weeks at max (myself included) with the one exception being December (likely due to winter break). I'd be surprised if you didn't hear back this week or next.

Also, every other cycle had people posting acceptances to TC in Jan, Feb, March, but this year only WL have posted which is baffling. n<30

Did you interview first week?

Interviewed mid-January. Today is the 5 week point since my interview and still nothing.. :(

Interviewed mid-January. Today is the 5 week point since my interview and still nothing.. :(
Since some decisions came out last week and nothing came so far this week, I think you’ll hear by next Thursday for sure! (Just based on me analyzing the last two pages of sdn posts since Friday is my week 4).

Since some decisions came out last week and nothing came so far this week, I think you’ll hear by next Thursday for sure! (Just based on me analyzing the last two pages of sdn posts since Friday is my week 4).

I guess I’ll sit tight for a bit longer. Best of luck to you! :)

Congrats! When did you interview? Where you on the wait-list or alternate list?!
Not sure what you mean between wait-list vs alternate list. But I interviewed in December when they had the acceptance hold put on. So I was placed in the high priority pool back in January.

Not sure what you mean between wait-list vs alternate list. But I interviewed in December when they had the acceptance hold put on. So I was placed in the high priority pool back in January.

Okay thanks. I asked b/c I was put on the alternate list back in November...they said they wouldn't tell us if we're put on the priority list until Mid-April.

Okay thanks. I asked b/c I was put on the alternate list back in November...they said they wouldn't tell us if we're put on the priority list until Mid-April.

If you were placed on the alternate list, I'm pretty sure that's just the waitlist. I was placed on it as well back in October after a mid-September interview. They stated in the email that they would release the ranked alternate list in mid-April. Everyone placed in the high priority pool were "acceptances" basically on hold since they had put the last 20 seats on hold, or so my understanding is. Once they release the ranked list, they'll tell you what portion of the waitlist you are in, but not an exact ranking. I was kind of hoping she/he was from the alternate list too, thought there was some hope for a second that they had already started pulling from there.

Could a current student comment on summer classes. I was reviewing the cost of attendance and saw that the summer tuition is included in the average tuition. I would expect most school have summer course for M2-M4. Are M1 summer courses required to graduate on time? My understanding was that it is common to do a fellowship or assistantship during the summer between M1 and M2. Does the school expect classes on top of that? Would I expect to pay summer tuition all four years?

Hey, I'm a current M1 at UMTC. The summer semester is definitely required but I think it's a little bit of a misnomer so don't get too freaked out by it! Our spring semester is beginning of January through the end of April and summer semester is all of May and June. Then we get all of July and August off, which aligns well with research positions/fellowships, etc. Not really much different from most other med schools as I understand it. So, no you would nt be doing a summer "job" and classes on top of that. I would look on their website for more in-detail tuition info, as I don't have it off the top of my head and it should all be on the website

Reactions: 1 users
1/26 interview, OOS but very good MN connections, got the waitlist email just now for the Twin Cities.. happy to be there! (and accepted to Duluth since Dec. so going to Twin Cities for M3-M4 either way)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone seen available interview dates lately, for TC, if any? I wonder if interviews are still offered.

Has anyone seen available interview dates lately, for TC, if any? I wonder if interviews are still offered.
Last interview date was supposed to sometime this week or next - it's posted a page or two back in the thread.

Just got my rejection email 10 min ago...great way to end the day

Edit: IS, post WL, TC campus, LM 72

Last edited:
Got the WL email as well

Also just got the WL email. Really disappointed, but keeping my fingers crossed! For those who did not know, it is possible for applicants to be accepted/rejected prior to being placed on the ranked alternate list (according to the email).

Rejected post-II last night at 11 pm. Reading that email this morning was the worst way to start the day, now I don't want to leave my bed. Really fell in love with the school while I was there. Interviewed 1/17, OOS.

Rejected post WL. IS. TC campus. Really wasn't expecting this :(

They do. Two of the scribes I worked with last year got rejected post-interview without being WL'd first.

I just got booted from the WL too (IS, LM 72, submitted mid July, interviewed at TC mid October) and it's nice to see I'm not alone on the rejection train. Looks like I'm going to Virginia next year!

Reactions: 2 users
Just waitlisted last night. Interviewed during the first few days of the month. OOS LM ~72

Stupid question but how do you calculate LM now? I knew the formula with the old MCAT - do you just convert new MCAT score to old or is there a new LM formula?

Stupid question but how do you calculate LM now? I knew the formula with the old MCAT - do you just convert new MCAT score to old or is there a new LM formula?
You convert your new score to old score. Then old score + GPA*10

They do. Two of the scribes I worked with last year got rejected post-interview without being WL'd first.

I just got booted from the WL too (IS, LM 72, submitted mid July, interviewed at TC mid October) and it's nice to see I'm not alone on the rejection train. Looks like I'm going to Virginia next year!

I'm terrified now... WL around dec. Interviewed late Nov.
Glad that you got another acceptance tho!